motherboards
Arctic
Arctic Cooling Products

Thread: AMD motherboard with watercooling???

Status

Last Online
    01-03-2014 @ 07:32
    Thanks
    Level completed: 62%,
    Points required for next Level: 38
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 38
    Overall activity: 51.0%

Default AMD motherboard with watercooling???

hey all,

maybe its just me but I am struggling to find a motherboard for AMD FM2 / FM2+ sockets that I can actually get water blocks for, any one know of any???

Happy Modding!!

Richard

Status

Last Online
    Thanks

Default Re: AMD motherboard with watercooling???

or can recommend universal water cooling components that I can use on my motherboard?, my current mother board is a ASRock FM2A88M Extreme 4+

don't mind getting a new motherboard that I can get watercooling components for aslong as its not going to be like a 200-300 motherboard before watercooling

many thanks

richard

Status

Last Online
    30-08-2017 @ 04:07
    CPU: Intel i7 5930K / Intel i7 4820K / Intel i7 4790K
    M/B: ASUS X99 R5E / ASUS X79 Sabertooth / ASUS Z97 MVIIF
    RAM: 32GB Kingston DDR4 3000MHz / 32GB Corsair 1866MHz / 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz
    GPU: EVGA GTX780 TRI SLI Classy / EVGA GTX 780 SLI / XFX R9 290 (xfire) w XSPC WB
    • Solara2xb's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Corsair 750D / Corsair A540 / NZXT P630
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 1000G2 / Corsair AX1200 / Corsair AX1200
      • Cooling:
      • ALL Systems running Custom Water Cooling
      • Monitor:
      • 3x Dell 24" IPS on XFX Triple Stand 5760x1200
      • Windows 7 Ultimate
    Thanks
    Level completed: 0%,
    Points required for next Level: 0
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%

The FM2+ A88x is still pretty new to the market, some manufactures are still in the process of releasing the APU boards.
    As of right now I don't know of any manufacture that has a specific waterblock for any one motherboard. I would give it a little bit of time for the platform and chipset to mature and I am sure that someone will most likely make waterblocks for them, I can forsee ASUS and Possible Gigabyte motherboards having waterblocks. But that's just a best guess.

But I wouldn't expect to see a large support in this matter since the A88x platform is targeted towards a more budget friendly consumer line.
    Universal blocks can be used if you can find the right sizes, I haven't tested any A88x platform boards yet so I can't say for sure if its even needed.

Is there a reason that you are looking for a WB for this platform?? Are you looking to overvolting the VRM??
    Most of today's modern motherboards do a great job at cooling with the heatsinks provided even with a decent overclock.

Status

Last Online
    23-05-2015 @ 02:36
    CPU: AMD FX-8350, 4.7 GHz core, 2400 MHz CPU/NB
    M/B: Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
    RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP Low Voltage @ 2133 MHz
    GPU: Powercolor AXR9 280X TurboDuo (stock)
    • Mgutierrez33's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Corsair Graphite 760T
      • PSU:
      • Fractal Design Newton 800W 80 Plus Platinum PSU
      • Cooling:
      • Cooler Master Glacer 240L
      • Monitor:
      • AOC 2251swdn
      • Windows 7 Ultimate, SP1
      • Misc:
      • Silverstone PP07 white cable extensions
    Thanks
    Level completed: 49%,
    Points required for next Level: 310
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 310

Yeah I wouldn't expect much of anything in the way of dedicated FM2+ waco blocks for the boards just yet. Still far too early in the life cycle of this system architecture to determine what kind of real performance can be extracted from these systems on account of there not really being a whole lot of programs that leverage heterogeneous system architectures for desktop PC users. Once they DO start taking off and we see what the iGPU cores can REALLY do with the CPU cores in unison THEN we may very well see something like that, but even then Kenny's right: this architecture even as it sits right now is great as-is... not really a need to put the board components under water. Hell with just passive cooling on the VRM's and a Seidon 120M on a silent fan curve with a lap job I pull 4.5 GHz out of the CPU cores and just shy of 1 GHz on the iGPU.

A suggestion though: bug the crap out of the watercooling companies that MAKE those products, EK in particular. If they don't hear from their demographic on what they want then they can't always prepare a product that suits the needs of the enthusiast. Hell I'll bug them with you; even if it isn't the most practical application to do board waco with it'd still be pretty awesome to see an A88X-PRO running gold coolant through a full cover block with some Team Group Vulcan RAM or Avexir's Blitz v1.1 black and gold modules.

Core Member

Status

Last Online
    10-02-2019 @ 11:19
    CPU: AMD FX-8350 @ 4.6Ghz
    M/B: Asus Crosshair V Formula
    RAM: 16GB Corsair Dominator GT 1866MHz (9-10-9-27)
    GPU: XFX HD 7970 Black Edition 3GB and Diamond HD 7970 3GB both @ 1125/1575MHz
    • SamCR3's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • NZXT Switch 810
      • PSU:
      • OCZ Fatal1ty 1000 Watt
      • Cooling:
      • XSPC RayStorm CPU Block, XSPC X20 750 Pump/Res, CoolIt 360MM Rad. w/6 x Noctua NF-F12 PWM Fans (Push/Pull) and PrimoFlex Pro LRT UV Red Tubing; 5 x 140 MM Bitfenx Spectre Pro Red LED Fans on NZXT Sentry Mix Fan Controller
      • Sound:
      • SupremeFX X-Fi 2
      • Monitor:
      • 1 x Samsung SyncMaster SA350H 27 in.
      • Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
      • Misc:
      • CM Storm Trigger Mechanical Keyboard; CM Storm Sentinel Zero-G Gaming Mouse; Logitech z523 2.1 Speaker System; Logitech 600 Desktop Microphone
    Thanks
    Level completed: 27%,
    Points required for next Level: 731
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 731

Can someone explain heterogeneous computing in layman's terms. I think I understand it but have been wrong about many things I thought I knew. Lol.
    2nd Rig: AMD FX-8120; Corsair H105 ; Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3; 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 1600MHz; 2 x PowerColor HD 7870 Myst. Ed. (Tahiti LE); Fractal Design Arc XL; SeaSonic X Series 850W
    3rd Rig: AMD A6-3650; Asetek 550LC; Asus F1A75-M Pro; 8GB Kingston HyperX; XFX HD 6670 1GB GDDR5; Antec 300; Thermaltake TR2 650W

Status

Last Online
    23-05-2015 @ 02:36
    CPU: AMD FX-8350, 4.7 GHz core, 2400 MHz CPU/NB
    M/B: Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
    RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP Low Voltage @ 2133 MHz
    GPU: Powercolor AXR9 280X TurboDuo (stock)
    • Mgutierrez33's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Corsair Graphite 760T
      • PSU:
      • Fractal Design Newton 800W 80 Plus Platinum PSU
      • Cooling:
      • Cooler Master Glacer 240L
      • Monitor:
      • AOC 2251swdn
      • Windows 7 Ultimate, SP1
      • Misc:
      • Silverstone PP07 white cable extensions
    Thanks
    Level completed: 49%,
    Points required for next Level: 310
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 310

to my understanding, heterogeneous system architectures basically allow all data for the GPU and the CPU to travel along the same channels of communication, which will allow for faster, more seamless system operation (in theory). Think of it as eliminating the middle man and allowing everything to do it's thing all at the same time for whatever task that piece of hardware is specialized in. In this fashion, while you are doing just some general use computing, if you come across a usage scenario where GPGPU performance can assist with accelerating whatever task it is you are working on, the GPU can jump in and help out with seamless acceleration of said task without the CPU needing to do draw calls to it or anything like that.

At least that's how I understand it to work. Diagrams from AMD and the like essentially model everything out so that when the GPU or the CU want to do their thing, they can do so independently and free of one another's influence until the time comes for them to work together on a task. What this would mean for the FM2+ platform in general is that all those GFlops of compute power that rest untapped and underutilized in the iGPU suddenly start to also act as insanely potent CPU cores... which is why AMD advertises these chips as having "up to 12 compute cores," since once HSA takes off in a mainstream fashion they WILL be cores... and probably some of the fastest cores out there. This is a lot of the reason why AMD is trying to lean so heavily on this architecture, because it's cheap and easy for people to get in on right NOW, it still serves a reasonably powerful function in today's typical compute scenarios, and it's scaling viability moving forward is such that the hardware CAN, theoretically, have a VERY long-lasting shelf life in it's current state.

Until such time though, it's being largely thought of as just another HTPC or low-end option... though in my personal experience I am flabbergasted with how smooth and frankly potent these chips can be under the right usage scenarios. After having had my hands-on experience with this chip so far I am loathe to want to ever purchase a console ever again as good as the performance on this thing is. Admittedly I have yet to try out Dual Graphics on these JUST yet, but that is definitely in the cards in the not-too-distant-future (I hope). Imagine THAT in viable HSA: Dual graphics with your discrete AND your iGPU graphics solutions crunching numbers, as it were, in unison on whatever compute task they are set to in multiple usage scenarios, or having a super powerful discrete graphics option whilst the iGPU cores perform the same kind of compute tasks as the primary CPU cores, only at an accelerated rate.

Again, though... all future promises and nothing has been TRULY proven in the desktop environment just yet. Anyone who can correct me on any of this please do so though... I don't much like misinforming people x-)

Status

Last Online
    Thanks

well I currently have a A8 6600k Richland processor which I may upgrade to the kaveri 7850k a bit later in the year after sum other upgrades.

and my plan is to do a water cooled setup which involves the CPU & GPU for overclocking but then I got thinking about the motherboard and RAM, do I want to overclock my RAM aswell? if so should I water cool it? then with all this overclocking going on what of the motherboard? will it be fine? or may it overheat?

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links