RAM: 16gb / Corsair / Vengeance / 1866 / 9-10-9-27
    GPU: MSI / Lightning r7970 / 3gb / x 2 Crossfire
    • joshjaks's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • NZXT Phantom 820
      • PSU:
      • Rosewill / Lightning / 1000w
      • Cooling:
      • Proc / Cooler Master Glacer 240l w/ Prolimatech PK-1 Fans / 4x NZXT 200mm Front, Side and Top/ Rear / 1 x NZXT 140mm GPU / Stock (Twin Frozr)
      • Monitor:
      • Acer 27" LED
      • Windows 8.1
    Thanks
    Level completed: 36%,
    Points required for next Level: 259
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 259
    Overall activity: 49.0%

Default Done with Asus!

I just lost my THIRD board with Asus. I don't even know how this keeps happening at this point. I got my new Glacer 240l, saw some great temps, but I also lost a ram slot becasue the socket room is so narrow. I tried turning it but the mounting doesn't really allow for that with AMD sockets. I did a couple remounts, tried some ideas, then noticed my ethernet wasn't working. Thought maybe the mounts was too tight, loosened it up. Still no luck. Figured I'd reset the cmos, started up and nothing. No post and my q. code error shows CS. At this point I believe the problem is Asus boards are too fragile. It worked great as along as I didn't have to mess with it too much. But I've gone from four different coolers, two different graphic card setups, two cases, and it seems that the board can only take so many plugins before something gives. Why would a high end board be so susceptible to this when I would think many enthusiast would be testing components, upgrading frequently or being nit-picky like I am?

I did some shopping and I'm pretty sure the next best thing, or possibly better, to a Crosshair V Fromula-Z would be the Asrock Extreme9. Let me know if you guys think that's a good Asus alternative. I had a 4.5 ghz OC but the glacer gave me so much headroom that I know I can go much higher. On the other hand, I never plan to do extreme nitrogen ocing and wonder if the Fatal1ty Killer would be just as good for my overclocking needs and save me a few bucks. The 12+2 power phase of the extreme9 soiunds great though.
    Second System: CPU - AMD FX-8350 / Mobo - AsRock 970 Extreme3 R2.0 / Video Card - XFX Radeon HD6870 / Memory - 8gb Gskill Sniper DDR3 1600 9-9-9-24 / Harddrive - Seagate Barracuda 250gb 7200 rpm x 3 Raid 0 / Power Supply - Seasonic X Gold 750w / Case - Sunbeam Transformer / CPU Cooler - Zalman CNPS9900 Max

Status

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 20:35
    CPU: 9590 fx
    M/B: fatality killer 990fx
    RAM: G.SKILL Trident X (4 x 8GB) DDR3 1600
    GPU: 2x 660 gtx
    Thanks
    Level completed: 39%,
    Points required for next Level: 309
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 309
    Overall activity: 32.0%

Default Re: Done with Asus!

i have been putting the Fatal1ty Killer through the ringer
    ferociously

it is still working rather well, but that north buss heat sink with the 990FX logo on it
    that thing gets hot enough to melt your skin off

the ethernet internet connection is disturbingly buggy, very hard to work with

if i had the money i would try the extreme 9 because it it advertised as a better board

i started off with the extreme 3 but could not handle it as it lacked to many basic features
    pleas take a moment to watch and share this in it's ENTIRETY http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20RoAfflGCM
    learning is good .....understanding is better .....pleas teach with wisdom............................................ ..............calemus

Status

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 22:30
    CPU: Intel 4790K @ 4.6GHz
    M/B: ASUS Z97 Sabertooth
    RAM: 16GB Patriot Viper Xtreme D4 2133
    GPU: nVidia GTX 780 Reference
    • Ciarlatano's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Phanteks Enthoo Primo
      • PSU:
      • be quiet! DPP 10 1000W
      • Cooling:
      • Swiftech Apogee XL, Swiftech Komodo NV-LE, D5 PWM w/ EK Top, Alphacool UT60 280mm, XSPC RX360 V3, XSPC Photon 170, Noctua PPC-2000 fans push/pull all around
      • Sound:
      • ASUS Essence STX
      • Monitor:
      • ASUS 24"
      • Windows 7 64
    Thanks
    Level completed: 50%,
    Points required for next Level: 203
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Overall activity: 33.0%

Personally, I am not a fan of ASRock boards in general. Coming out of ASUS boards myself, there is a very noticeable difference in build quality and every component on the ASRock boards is a step down/gen behind the ASUS boards.

That said....the Crosshair V was one of the buggiest boards I ever used. I tried to love it....just didn't happen. After going through the Crosshair, Gigabyte, Sapphire and ASRock boards I stuck with the Gigabyte UD5 (GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket AM3+ - GA-990FXA-UD5 (rev. 3.0)). I was very surprised, but it was head and shoulders above the others. The BIOS isn't as pretty as the ROG BIOS....but it works and doesn't have you digging around for twenty minutes looking for a buried setting.

On another note, I have three friends with the Sabertooth FX990 R2. That was the board to get, not the Crosshair. Solid as a rock.

4. The following user thanks Ciarlatano For this above post:

joshjaks (06-07-2014)

Status

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 19:34
    CPU: FX / 8350 / AMD / 4.7Ghz OC
    M/B: Asrock 990FX Extreme9
    • joshjaks's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • NZXT Phantom 820
      • PSU:
      • Cooling:
      • Proc / Cooler Master Glacer 240l w/ Prolimatech PK-1 Fans / 4x NZXT 200mm Front, Side and Top/ Rear / 1 x NZXT 140mm GPU / Stock (Twin Frozr)
      • Monitor:
      • Acer 27" LED
      • Windows 8.1
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ciarlatano View Post
    Personally, I am not a fan of ASRock boards in general. Coming out of ASUS boards myself, there is a very noticeable difference in build quality and every component on the ASRock boards is a step down/gen behind the ASUS boards.

That said....the Crosshair V was one of the buggiest boards I ever used. I tried to love it....just didn't happen. After going through the Crosshair, Gigabyte, Sapphire and ASRock boards I stuck with the Gigabyte UD5 (GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket AM3+ - GA-990FXA-UD5 (rev. 3.0)). I was very surprised, but it was head and shoulders above the others. The BIOS isn't as pretty as the ROG BIOS....but it works and doesn't have you digging around for twenty minutes looking for a buried setting.

On another note, I have three friends with the Sabertooth FX990 R2. That was the board to get, not the Crosshair. Solid as a rock.
    Glad you told me that. I read our review on it and at the time it didn't have the Uefi bios, but it looks like they fixed that with the revisions. I think I'll go with the UD5 unless someone who's used the extreme9 thinks that 12+2 power phase is actually worth it over the gigabyte 8+2 one.
    Second System: CPU - AMD FX-8350 / Mobo - AsRock 970 Extreme3 R2.0 / Video Card - XFX Radeon HD6870 / Memory - 8gb Gskill Sniper DDR3 1600 9-9-9-24 / Harddrive - Seagate Barracuda 250gb 7200 rpm x 3 Raid 0 / Power Supply - Seasonic X Gold 750w / Case - Sunbeam Transformer / CPU Cooler - Zalman CNPS9900 Max

Status

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 19:42
    CPU: AMD FX8320 at 4.8ghz
    M/B: Gigibyte GA990fx-UD5
    RAM: 16GB Hyper-X Predator 2133mhz
    GPU: 3x Sapphire 7950 Dual-x 3GB
    • Cyberburnout's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Switch 810 Matte
      • PSU:
      • INWin Commander II 1200w
      • Cooling:
      • Customer H20 with XSPC cpu block. Swiftech 320 Rad 3 Phanteks 120mm fans.2 120mm NZXT Fans in Front, 1 120mm NZXT fan in rear Recon Fan controller. Blue UV cooling liquid
      • Sound:
      • ONBOARD
      • Monitor:
      • lG 55in lcd TV
      • WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE X64
      • Misc:
      • Blue LED Lights
    Thanks
    Level completed: 41%,
    Points required for next Level: 479
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 479
    Overall activity: 99.8%

Quote Originally Posted by joshjaks View Post
    Glad you told me that. I read our review on it and at the time it didn't have the Uefi bios, but it looks like they fixed that with the revisions. I think I'll go with the UD5 unless someone who's used the extreme9 thinks that 12+2 power phase is actually worth it over the gigabyte 8+2 one.
    ASRock Extreme 9 is a solid board. One of the few Asrock really kick butt on. The Other board they make is the Fatal1y 990 FX Killer board. Solid build quality. Thick board with some weight to it. The spacing for the CPU socket and cooler mounting may allow you to reclaim that memory slot. Personally I would do with the 990fx Killer board. It is more up to date compared to any other offerings. However it is only a 8+2 phased power board. The new board by MSI uses a crappy 970 chipset and isn't suitable for overclocking. The Extreme 9 or the 990FX Fatal1ty

There is a flaw in the 1st version of the UD5 so be mindful which you are buying. Getting the newest Rev. Rev 1 can NOT clock memory above 1600mhz if you are using 4 sticks. Will fail and reset bios every time you try. Known issue. There was no bios fix for it either. I had one and had to get rid of my Dominator Platinum 4x4GB 2133mhz kit.
    "If you got it, Build it"

A+ Certified. Dell, Lenovo, HP, Lexmarks, Xerox, Panasonic and NEC Certified ASP.

Status

Last Online
    19-10-2014 @ 17:01
    CPU: i7 3970x @ 5.0GHz
    M/B: Rampage IV Black Edition
    RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3 1600 MHz, 64GB
    GPU: 2x EVGA GTX 780 SLI with EK Water Blocks
    • Smiki007's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Obsidian 900d
      • PSU:
      • MaxRevo 1350W 80+ Gold
      • Cooling:
      • Swiftech (APOGEE HD Black CPU Water Block, MCP655-B Pump, MCR-X20 Radiator with integrated MCP35X Pump and Reservoir and MCRES Rev.2 Reservoir) + Phobya (Xstream 200mm and G Changer 360mm Radiator) + Primochill PrimoFlex Advanced LRT Tubing (Blod Red).
      • Monitor:
      • ASUS VG278H 3D
      • W7 Professional x64 SP1
    Thanks
    Level completed: 96%,
    Points required for next Level: 28
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 28
    Overall activity: 0%
    Overall activity: 0%

I just lost my THIRD board with Asus. I don't even know how this keeps happening at this point. I got my new Glacer 240l, saw some great temps, but I also lost a ram slot becasue the socket room is so narrow. I tried turning it but the mounting doesn't really allow for that with AMD sockets. I did a couple remounts, tried some ideas, then noticed my ethernet wasn't working. Thought maybe the mounts was too tight, loosened it up. Still no luck. Figured I'd reset the cmos, started up and nothing. No post and my q. code error shows CS. At this point I believe the problem is Asus boards are too fragile. It worked great as along as I didn't have to mess with it too much. But I've gone from four different coolers, two different graphic card setups, two cases, and it seems that the board can only take so many plugins before something gives. Why would a high end board be so susceptible to this when I would think many enthusiast would be testing components, upgrading frequently or being nit-picky like I am?

I did some shopping and I'm pretty sure the next best thing, or possibly better, to a Crosshair V Fromula-Z would be the Asrock Extreme9. Let me know if you guys think that's a good Asus alternative. I had a 4.5 ghz OC but the glacer gave me so much headroom that I know I can go much higher. On the other hand, I never plan to do extreme nitrogen ocing and wonder if the Fatal1ty Killer would be just as good for my overclocking needs and save me a few bucks. The 12+2 power phase of the extreme9 soiunds great though.
    Very strange to hear this. I'm very satisfied with all ASUS boards I had (since my first Pentium 4 ASUS P5GP board). The only problem I had was with my latest R4E board (RAM slots died after 1.5 years of use), and was changed for the newest R4BE by ASUS provider in Peru for $50 of additional payment.
    My ASUS boards:
    Pentium 4 P5GP LGA 775 board (no issues)
    First Generation i7 (960) P6X58D-E board (no issues)
    Second Generation i7 (2700k) Maximus IV Extreme P67 (no issues, the best OC board I ever had)
    Second Generation Extreme i7 (3970x) Rampage IV Extreme (with RAM slots problems after a 1.5 Years), and replaced with Rampage IV Black Edition (no issues, but I have this only few months)

Always look beyond the limits...

Status

Last Online
      • Case:
      • Switch 810 Matte
      • PSU:
      • Cooling:
      • Customer H20 with XSPC cpu block. Swiftech 320 Rad 3 Phanteks 120mm fans.2 120mm NZXT Fans in Front, 1 120mm NZXT fan in rear Recon Fan controller. Blue UV cooling liquid
      • Sound:
      • ONBOARD
      • Monitor:
      • lG 55in lcd TV
      • WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE X64
      • Misc:
      • Blue LED Lights
    Thanks

Some of review team has had some serious issues with their Asus boards. Joe being the worse. Sabertooth Died multiple times, long long times to get serviced, received do boards, USB ports not working ect ect.

Jim got a dog board, replaced it. Thay board was do and would not fix it.

Mikes board just died for no reason.

Been reading the boards and tech groups and memory slots and USB ports dying seems to be more often than thought. Usually this is followed by a dead boards.

Not saying Asus is crap but I am saying there seems to be an issue with some of thier boards. Some people simply moved to a new case and found the system unable to boot.. That is nuts. Maybe the boards are too thick and don't allow any play with causes internal micro cracks along traces and be a chips.

A+ Certified. Dell, Lenovo, HP, Lexmarks, Xerox, Panasonic and NEC Certified ASP.

9. The following user thanks Cyberburnout For this above post:

joshjaks (08-07-2014)

Status

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 19:27
    CPU: Intel i7 5930K / Intel i7 4820K / Intel i7 4770K
    M/B: ????? / ASUS X79 Sabertooth / ASUS Z97 MVIIF
    RAM: 32GB Kingston DDR4 / 32GB Corsair 1866MHz / 16GB Kingston HyperX 2666MHz
    GPU: Sapphire R9 290 / EVGA GTX 780 w EK WB / XFX R9 290 (xfire) w XSPC WB
    • Solara2xb's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Dimastech V2.3 TB / Corsair 750D / NZXT P630
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 1000G2 / Corsair AX1200 / Corsair AX1200
      • Cooling:
      • ALL Systems running Custom Water Cooling
      • Monitor:
      • 3x Dell 24" IPS on XFX Triple Stand 5760x1200
      • Windows 7 Ultimate
    Thanks
    Points required for next Level: 1,169
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 1,169
    Overall activity: 17.0%

Sorry to hear about the troubles you are having, Personally... I haven't had any issues with any of the ASUS boards I have owned. I've been using them since the X48 series rampage boards. I current still run a ASUS Sabertooth X79, ASUS Z87 Maxiumus VI Gene, ASUS Z97 Hero and ASUS Z68 Rampage and all work great.

If you are looking for a good clocking 990FX Board, I can def. recommend the ASRock Extreme 9, I reviewed this board and it did quite well. Also the Crosshair V Formula Z is a awesome board, I used this board for my FX8350 for a while and I water cooled the NB and was able to bring the 8350 to 5.0GHz stable with voltages around 1.48-1.50 under water. NB Chip at 1.35Volts 24/7.

I also had the First Revision of the UD5 board, I had decent luck with overclocking, but I had to dumb down to 2 sticks of memory at 1600MHz for decent chip overclocking. But I got the board during the UD5 launch a few years ago. I think Sandy ended up with my board.

Another good board that I used for a friends build is the Sabertooth Rev 2.0 990FX board, He's using a 8320 and overclocked 24/7 to 4.6Ghz underwater rock stable at 1.30volts with the NB at stock settings. If I had to choose the boards above, I'd go with the Sabertooth over anything else.. I just hate the colors.

11. The following user thanks Solara2xb For this above post:

joshjaks (08-07-2014)

Status

Last Online
      • Case:
      • Switch 810 Matte
      • PSU:
      • Cooling:
      • Sound:
      • ONBOARD
      • Monitor:
      • lG 55in lcd TV
      • WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE X64
      • Misc:
      • Blue LED Lights
    Thanks

Actually I ended up with the cross hair formula z and the UD5. Since he got the UD5 at launch it was Rev 1 and it had some flaws. It was hardware related so there was no fix for it. I was able to get a better OC then Kenny because of bios updates and I'm just better then him. Lol was running 8320 at 4.8 underwater woth 2 sticks of Hyper-X predators 2133 2x8gb. If I had to buy another board it woukd not have been the UD5.. The newer revs are better but overall I spent more time then I wanted fighting with it.

Was going to switch to the extreme 9 but I ended up buying intel gear for benching.

13. The following user thanks Cyberburnout For this above post:

joshjaks (08-07-2014)

Status

Last Online
    • joshjaks's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • NZXT Phantom 820
      • PSU:
      • Cooling:
      • Monitor:
      • Acer 27" LED
      • Windows 8.1
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ciarlatano View Post

Quick update on that buggy thing. I took the CPU and ram out, booted up, and noticed the qcode stayed on ff. So I used the USB flashback (again!) to flash the bios. Started up. I wasn't sure what components were needed to show the post screen so just booted up, nothing, added one stick of ram in the farthest slot, nothing. So I finally put the cpu in but didn't want to go through the trouble of reseating so i LITERALLY (parks and rec reference) pushed one of the stock heatsinks I had on the cpu and held while I started the PC. I got a post screen (which I didn't expect), panicked, powered it off real quick and haven't had the chance to check it out again yet. I'll keep you all posted but something may have just bugged out and it might be up again.

Status

Last Online
    • joshjaks's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • NZXT Phantom 820
      • PSU:
      • Cooling:
      • Monitor:
      • Acer 27" LED
      • Windows 8.1
    Thanks

Quick update on that buggy thing. I took the CPU and ram out, booted up, and noticed the qcode stayed on ff. So I used the USB flashback (again!) to flash the bios. Started up. I wasn't sure what components were needed to show the post screen so just booted up, nothing, added one stick of ram in the farthest slot, nothing. So I finally put the cpu in but didn't want to go through the trouble of reseating so i LITERALLY (parks and rec reference) pushed one of the stock heatsinks I had on the cpu and held while I started the PC. I got a post screen (which I didn't expect), panicked, powered it off real quick and haven't had the chance to check it out again yet. I'll keep you all posted but something may have just bugged out and it might be up again.
    And the final update. I loosened my glacer mount a tad and the computer boots up. Problem is, the network stopped working. I can't really loosen the mount on the cooler too much or I won't be able to keep temps down. This would really narrow down my problems with asus. Weak socket and preasure keeps breaking something in there. Not sure how with the way the back plate is set up for amd sockets but 3 times has to be more than a coincidence!

Status

Last Online
    • joshjaks's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • NZXT Phantom 820
      • PSU:
      • Cooling:
      • Monitor:
      • Acer 27" LED
      • Windows 8.1
    Thanks

So after hearing all the responses, pouring over the specs, fretting about my decision, I think I will go with the Asrock Extreme9. Here's the reasons but if any of you have experience that counteracts what I'm thinking, let me know. First, the Gigabyte UD5. If Cyberburnout says otherwise, then I have a hard time arguing because his advice has always been great for me. Also, I noticed that even on newegg, there doesn't seem to be anyway to guarantee I can get a revision 3 board. The Asrock killer seems nice, but the only thing is I've seen some complaints about the Killer lan for Windows 8.1 users. Could be nothing, but the Extreme9 uses an intel lan which is a safer bet with the newer OS. Also, the 12+2 power phase intrigues me and the color scheme is better for my system since I lean towards the blue and shy away from the red in my system. Of course, the killer does have the added molex connector which the extreme9 ditched, but that could be due to better power designs with the newer board. Whatdya guys think?

Status

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 20:35
    CPU: 9590 fx
    M/B: fatality killer 990fx
    RAM: G.SKILL Trident X (4 x 8GB) DDR3 1600
    GPU: 2x 660 gtx
    Thanks
    Points required for next Level: 309
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 309

i am all for the killer except the 2 things i mentioned
    1) the heat sink gets so hot i think it's a fire hazard
    2) maybe latter it will change with bios updats, but for now the internet is horrible to work with

i'm still learning to OC, but i do have a 9590 on it at 5 gig 24/7
    at stock the 9590 runs at 4.2 gig
    i kid you not, this is my second one and it's doing the same thing
    pleas take a moment to watch and share this in it's ENTIRETY http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20RoAfflGCM
    learning is good .....understanding is better .....pleas teach with wisdom............................................ ..............calemus

18. The following user thanks calemus For this above post:

joshjaks (08-07-2014)

Status

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 19:27
    CPU: Intel i7 5930K / Intel i7 4820K / Intel i7 4770K
    M/B: ????? / ASUS X79 Sabertooth / ASUS Z97 MVIIF
    RAM: 32GB Kingston DDR4 / 32GB Corsair 1866MHz / 16GB Kingston HyperX 2666MHz
    GPU: Sapphire R9 290 / EVGA GTX 780 w EK WB / XFX R9 290 (xfire) w XSPC WB
    • Solara2xb's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Dimastech V2.3 TB / Corsair 750D / NZXT P630
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 1000G2 / Corsair AX1200 / Corsair AX1200
      • Cooling:
      • ALL Systems running Custom Water Cooling
      • Monitor:
      • 3x Dell 24" IPS on XFX Triple Stand 5760x1200
      • Windows 7 Ultimate
    Thanks
    Points required for next Level: 1,169
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 1,169

The ASRock Ext 9 get my vote. other than that, the Sabertooth Rev 2.0 also up there in choices, but if you want to stay away from ASUS then the Extreme 9 all the way.

20. The following user thanks Solara2xb For this above post:

joshjaks (08-07-2014)

Status

Last Online
      • Case:
      • Switch 810 Matte
      • PSU:
      • Cooling:
      • Sound:
      • ONBOARD
      • Monitor:
      • lG 55in lcd TV
      • WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE X64
      • Misc:
      • Blue LED Lights
    Thanks

I agree. Extreme 9 is the best solution at this moment

Status

Last Online
    • joshjaks's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • NZXT Phantom 820
      • PSU:
      • Cooling:
      • Monitor:
      • Acer 27" LED
      • Windows 8.1
    Thanks

So finalizing my post with my final update, I have gotten to thoroughly test my new board and all I can say is it's awesome. Imo, the extreme 9 is way better than the crosshair. The one thing I will say for asus is it seems to start up stable better than the asrock and it supported the UEFI bios on my gpus better but otherwise... Overclocking temps on the asrock have been much better (Socket and board, not the actual core temp which seems about the same), my crossfire setup seems to actually run at 16x/16x instead of 16x/8x, the bios settings are far simpler to navigate and set up (Though it did take me a while to learn the new ones and get a stable set up), the socket actually has far more room so that I not only keep my final ram slot, but my Glacer pump doesn't touch the ram or the heatsinks once installed, the ram is spaced better which leads to better heat dissipation, the ram is much cooler running than on the asus board (one stick always ran close to 60c while all sticks stay close to 40c now), and while this is no fault of asus, the color scheme works much better with my system than the asus one did. Whew!

The one thing I keep forgetting to check is sleep mode. I'd always lose my overclock setting if my computer sleeped with the asus and I'll check that out soon with the asrock.

23. The following user thanks joshjaks For this above post:

Solara2xb (21-07-2014)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ads