Thanks
    Level completed: 47%,
    Points required for next Level: 26
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 26
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Overall activity: 2.0%

Default Need a new motherboard

Hi everyone,
    Please excuse me for my lack of info on this subject, I'm a newbie when it comes to computer things like this. I have an HP Pavilion Elite m9350f (Contact HP Support and Customer Service | HP®*Support) with all its original parts (except the hard drive and graphics card, but they're still the same brand). The motherboard it contains is the Asus M2N78-LA Viola, which I'm pretty positive is what's no longer working. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for alternative motherboards? Cus getting this is gonna run me around $100, and if I'm gonna spend that much then I'd rather go with the best option I can find. I already know I need to look for one that supports an AM2+ processor, and has 4 slots for my memory (DDR2-800, I think). But other than that, I dunno what to look for. My main concern is I accidentally get one that doesnt fit the case (mid-size ATX) or has the wrong screw placement. Anyone know of any good boards that will be compatible with what I already have to work with?

Also, is there anything I need to know about installing a new motherboard? I already know I have to buy an OS since the only one I had was preinstalled on the old board and no idea where the recovery disk is (didnt know that existed until an hour ago sooo....). But other than that, anything I have to do or will I be good to go with just the new OS?

And thanks to anyone who can help.

Gu3

Status

Last Online
    18-04-2019 @ 12:45
    CPU: i7-4770K @ 4GHZ
    M/B: MSI Z87 MPOWER ATX LGA1150
    RAM: 32GB (2 X Crucial 16GB Ballistix Elite (2 x 8GB) CAS 9, DDR3 1866 )
    GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 4GB Dual FTW ACX
    • Gu3's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define R4 Blackout
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic XPS2 / 660W / 660 Platinum
      • Cooling:
      • Swiftech ApogeeXL Water Block Alphacool NexXxos ST30 Full Copper Slim Profile Dual 120mm Radiator EK DDC X-RES Top 140 with 3.2 Pump (PWM) Pump/Res Primochill LST 3/8x5/8" Tubing BitsPower Premium Black Matt Compression Fittings Cougar CF-V12HPB Fans Monsoon Silver Bullet
      • Monitor:
      • 3 x Asus VS247H-P 23.6"
      • Linux Mint 18.1
      • Misc:
      • System Name: Dark Matter Build: http://pcpartpicker.com/b/rrccCJ BIOS Overclock to 4GHZ. Memory @ Stock Speed. Purely an amateur, built for HandBrake.
    Thanks
    Level completed: 81%,
    Points required for next Level: 118
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 118
    Overall activity: 0%

Default Re: Need a new motherboard

OK, based on the existing Motherboard, I'd recommend looking @ Micro-ATX Motherboards. Sadly though, the only one I can find with AM2+ compatibility and Micro-ATX is: ASRock A785GM-LE Micro ATX AM3/AM2+/AM2 Motherboard (A785GM-LE) - PCPartPicker which isn't in stock.

You can get one @ ASRock A785GM-LE Socket AM3 Motherboard with Onboard Radeon HD 4200 VGA and DVI Video, DDR2 1066/800/667/533, PCI Express 2.0 x16, SATA 3Gbps RAID – Refurbished at 3B Tech - Buy computer parts, laptops, desktops, & electronics refurbished. Gack.

It's possible the case will take a larger board, but I can't really say. I'm not an AMD guy these days, but it seems to me you're likely to have to bite the bullet and get more than just a new MB. Or, you're going to have to shop the Surplus sites or E-Bay for a compatible board. (OR pay HP through the nose)

So, if you decide to to replace the MB/CPU/RAM with something a bit newer here are a couple of options.

Sticking with AMD: AMD A8-6600K - System Build - PCPartPicker this would seem a fairly reasonable choice @ $306 (ouch) with MB, RAM, CPU & OS.

For an Intel alternative: Intel Core i3-4160 - System Build - PCPartPicker is roughly equivalent but $337 (ouch ouch).

The biggest issue I would think is likely to be the PSU in the HP. You'll note that your Motherboard has a 4 pin Auxiliary Connector for CPU Power. The AMD Solution above has a 6 Pin connector, and the Intel Solution has an 8 pin connector. HP (and Dell and other OEMs) are able to spec the PSU to exactly match the Motherboard and may have used a custom PSU in your machine. So, if you don't have a 6 or 8 pin connector, you'll also need an adapter to take the 4 pin from your PSU and feed the 6 or 8 pin port on the Motherboard.

Note, I spent just a few minutes on PC Partpicker grabbing parts to give you an idea of cost. There are a number of options in both camps, and I'm sure some of the AMD afficianados around here will have some great suggestions!

As for the OS. It's possible that your Hard Disk contains a recovery partition, and that you may be able to build a recovery disk from it (supposing you can get access to it on a booting machine) If you have a Key for Windows (usually on a sticker on the machine), you may also be simply able to download a copy of the installation media and use it with your Key.... However, it's probably easiest to simply pick up a new OS (especially since you're then likely to get a free Win10 upgrade).

If you find out that the Case can take a standard ATX board, your options open up a lot.

Good Luck!

Scott

Core Member

Status

Last Online
    24-08-2018 @ 17:02
    CPU: INTEL i5 4670k
    M/B: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO
    RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 16GB 2133
    GPU: Two GIGABYTE 670. With EXPC waterblocks and back plats.
    • killjoyjim's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Case Labs Magnum TH 10. With custom paint.
      • PSU:
      • AZZA TITAN 1000w
      • Cooling:
      • D5 pump with dress up kit and block. Custom Res with three XSPC 480mm rads. Swifteck CPU block and Two XSPC water blocks on my 670 cards.
      • Sound:
      • ASUS ROG THUNDERBOLT
      • Monitor:
      • 47'' samsung tv
      • windows 7
      • Misc:
      • OCZ 60gb fot OS. And a OCZ 240 ssd.
    Thanks
    Level completed: 58%,
    Points required for next Level: 725
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 725

WELCOME TO PUREOC..

Status

Last Online
    03-03-2017 @ 16:21
    Thanks
    Level completed: 56%,
    Points required for next Level: 44
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 44
    Overall activity: 78.0%
    Overall activity: 78.0%

what is the name of your new motherboard now? your asus mainboard looks nice

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links