motherboards
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 16 of 23

Thread: Re-using Motherboard Waterblocks

  1. #1
    Regular Member

    Status
    Kung Pow is offline

    Last Online
    16-11-2014 @ 22:20
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    523
    CPU: i7 960 (4.7GHZ)
    M/B: Gigabyte GA X58A-OC
    RAM: Kingston Hyper X DDR3 12 GB
    GPU: MSI GTX 580 Lightning 1GHZ - TWFIII
    • Kung Pow's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Little Devil V8
      • PSU:
      • Revolution +85 1000 Watt
      • Cooling:
      • H2O CPU - Koolance 370 2x480 rads (Phobya G Changer 1.2 D5 Combo 1/2" Tubing
      • Monitor:
      • 42 inch 1920 x 1080 Full HD
      • OS:
      • Windows 7 64
    Thanks
    36
    Thanked 18 Times in 15 Posts
    Points: 7,553, Level: 26
    Points: 7,553, Level: 26
    Level completed: 1%,
    Points required for next Level: 597
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 597
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Overall activity: 6.0%

    Cool Re-using Motherboard Waterblocks

    Hey guys!

    I intend to upgrade coming October and would like to purchase and watercool a Z97 Motherboard at that time.
    Currently, I have the old Mosfet/Chipset EK waterblocks of my Z77 Maximus V Formula and was wondering if I could reuse them with the Z97 Maximus VII Formula or any other Z97 Motherboard.

    I have already contacted EKWB, however they responded with a standard "cannot advise due to possible incompatability" answer.

    Do you have any experience with the issue at hand or possibly even this particular case?
    I would even consider modding the block, should there be no other option.

    Strictly from a measurement perspective, I personally donīt see why it shouldnīt fit, since the Formula line has pretty much maintained its core dimensions regarding the concerned areas, namely Chipset & Mosfets.
    Perhaps even other boards, which are based upon the Formula design, such as Asrockīs OC Formula could fit.

    I would appreciate your input and thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Kung Pow; 17-08-2014 at 09:35.

  2. #2
    Moderator

    Status
    Solara2xb is offline

    Last Online
    Today @ 19:39
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Alta Loma, CA
    Posts
    4,896
    CPU: Intel i7 5930K / Intel i7 4820K / Intel i7 4770K
    M/B: ASUS X99 R5E / ASUS X79 Sabertooth / ASUS Z97 MVIIF
    RAM: 32GB Kingston DDR4 2400MHz / 32GB Corsair 1866MHz / 16GB Kingston HyperX 1866MHz
    GPU: EVGA GTX780 SLI Classy / EVGA GTX 780 SLI / XFX R9 290 (xfire) w XSPC WB
    • Solara2xb's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Corsair 750D / Corsair A540 / NZXT P630
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 1000G2 / Corsair AX1200 / Corsair AX1200
      • Cooling:
      • ALL Systems running Custom Water Cooling
      • Monitor:
      • 3x Dell 24" IPS on XFX Triple Stand 5760x1200
      • OS:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate
    Thanks
    1,150
    Thanked 523 Times in 456 Posts
    Points: 100,446, Level: 98
    Points: 100,446, Level: 98
    Level completed: 70%,
    Points required for next Level: 604
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 604
    Overall activity: 73.0%
    Overall activity: 73.0%

    Default Re: Re-using Motherboard Waterblocks

    You wouldn't need to since the new ASUS Z97 Maximus Formula board already has a waterblock on it fro the factory...
    However, the only real way to tell if they will fit is to test fit the block onto the MB itself to see if the VRMS and mounting holes line up... But I would assume it won't otherwise EK will update the compatibility list from the geko..

  3. #3
    Regular Member

    Status
    Kung Pow is offline

    Last Online
    16-11-2014 @ 22:20
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    523
    CPU: i7 960 (4.7GHZ)
    M/B: Gigabyte GA X58A-OC
    RAM: Kingston Hyper X DDR3 12 GB
    GPU: MSI GTX 580 Lightning 1GHZ - TWFIII
    • Kung Pow's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Little Devil V8
      • PSU:
      • Revolution +85 1000 Watt
      • Cooling:
      • H2O CPU - Koolance 370 2x480 rads (Phobya G Changer 1.2 D5 Combo 1/2" Tubing
      • Monitor:
      • 42 inch 1920 x 1080 Full HD
      • OS:
      • Windows 7 64
    Thanks
    36
    Thanked 18 Times in 15 Posts
    Points: 7,553, Level: 26
    Points: 7,553, Level: 26
    Level completed: 1%,
    Points required for next Level: 597
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 597
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Overall activity: 6.0%

    Default Re: Re-using Motherboard Waterblocks

    Hi Solara, how have you been?
    SuperMod already, that was fast.

    Unfortunately, such as with the current Formulaīs predecessors, the built in watercooling solution contains aluminum.
    While ASUS has partially powder coated the aluminum parts and incorporated copper
    with the Z97 version , I still donīt trust it, seeing as there have already been corrosion reports.
    I would only consider buying it for compatibility reasons.

    The only thing I know for a fact is, that the measurements of the Mosfets/Chipset have not changed
    substantially, if at all.

    In case of the blocks still fitting with merely the screw holes not alligning, are there possibly alternative retention solutions, other than screwing it down?
    Drilling new screw holes would probably not work, I presume.

  4. #4
    Moderator

    Status
    Solara2xb is offline

    Last Online
    Today @ 19:39
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Alta Loma, CA
    Posts
    4,896
    CPU: Intel i7 5930K / Intel i7 4820K / Intel i7 4770K
    M/B: ASUS X99 R5E / ASUS X79 Sabertooth / ASUS Z97 MVIIF
    RAM: 32GB Kingston DDR4 2400MHz / 32GB Corsair 1866MHz / 16GB Kingston HyperX 1866MHz
    GPU: EVGA GTX780 SLI Classy / EVGA GTX 780 SLI / XFX R9 290 (xfire) w XSPC WB
    • Solara2xb's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Corsair 750D / Corsair A540 / NZXT P630
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 1000G2 / Corsair AX1200 / Corsair AX1200
      • Cooling:
      • ALL Systems running Custom Water Cooling
      • Monitor:
      • 3x Dell 24" IPS on XFX Triple Stand 5760x1200
      • OS:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate
    Thanks
    1,150
    Thanked 523 Times in 456 Posts
    Points: 100,446, Level: 98
    Points: 100,446, Level: 98
    Level completed: 70%,
    Points required for next Level: 604
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 604
    Overall activity: 73.0%
    Overall activity: 73.0%

    Default Re: Re-using Motherboard Waterblocks

    Quote Originally Posted by Kung Pow View Post
    Hi Solara, how have you been?
    SuperMod already, that was fast.

    Unfortunately, such as with the current Formulaīs predecessors, the built in watercooling solution contains aluminum.
    While ASUS has partially powder coated the aluminum parts and incorporated copper
    with the Z97 version , I still donīt trust it, seeing as there have already been corrosion reports.
    I would only consider buying it for compatibility reasons.

    The only thing I know for a fact is, that the measurements of the Mosfets/Chipset have not changed
    substantially, if at all.

    In case of the blocks still fitting with merely the screw holes not alligning, are there possibly alternative retention solutions, other than screwing it down?
    Drilling new screw holes would probably not work, I presume.
    Hey, Doing good, keeping busy like always and trying to catch up with reviews.
    I've been a super mod for a while now.. lolz..

    The Maximus VI Formula did have a aluminum anodized block, however from what I understand the new VII Formula has a copper block.
    I am still in the process of reviewing the VII Formula and from my initial glance over and break down the VRM block is copper. However, I'll need to get clarification from ASUS.

    From ASUS, this is what I got from the website.
    Maximus VII Formula is ROG’s flagship Z97-based ATX gaming motherboard. All-new CrossChill Copper is engineered with a copper cooling channel that’s incredibly effective at removing heat. It’s great on air, and with liquid-cooling critical MOSFET temperatures are lowered by up to 23°C. The G1/4-inch threaded fittings mean CrossChill Copper is ready for existing cooling setups.

    Something to maybe consider. I am probably about a fews weeks out from completion of the review, so it may be something to look out for.

    As for your questions on other retention sources? If would depend on how much its off. If its a mere few mm's then I can see possible alternatives, however if its a complete miss alignment, that would be a tough call. Maybe Thermalpads that have a adhesive surface, but I can't see this to be a long term alternative..

  5. #5
    Regular Member

    Status
    Kung Pow is offline

    Last Online
    16-11-2014 @ 22:20
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    523
    CPU: i7 960 (4.7GHZ)
    M/B: Gigabyte GA X58A-OC
    RAM: Kingston Hyper X DDR3 12 GB
    GPU: MSI GTX 580 Lightning 1GHZ - TWFIII
    • Kung Pow's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Little Devil V8
      • PSU:
      • Revolution +85 1000 Watt
      • Cooling:
      • H2O CPU - Koolance 370 2x480 rads (Phobya G Changer 1.2 D5 Combo 1/2" Tubing
      • Monitor:
      • 42 inch 1920 x 1080 Full HD
      • OS:
      • Windows 7 64
    Thanks
    36
    Thanked 18 Times in 15 Posts
    Points: 7,553, Level: 26
    Points: 7,553, Level: 26
    Level completed: 1%,
    Points required for next Level: 597
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 597
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Overall activity: 6.0%

    Default Re: Re-using Motherboard Waterblocks

    Drilling new holes is probably not recommended either.
    I will just wait and see.

    As in terms of the VII Formula, there is indeed some copper in there, however the block casing/shell is still made of anodized aluminum.
    Essentially, this should be fine, but there have already been some corrosion reports, unfortunately.
    It's also supposed to be highly restrictive, which would be a negative aspect in my loop setup.
    I am going to get one of these korean QNIX 1440P monitors from ebay, which is why I'll probably go SLI.
    And with two GPU Blocks + CPU Blocks and rads, the mobo blocks just can't be missing.
    I specifically got a 35X for more headpressure.

    At 03:00 he explains it

    We wanted to square off our systems, remember?
    I think you are going to go X99.
    Even though DDR4 isn't really gonna be significant and nobody can afford six or eight core CPUs anyway?

  6. #6
    Moderator

    Status
    Cyberburnout is offline

    Last Online
    Today @ 19:32
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    GROVE CITY OHIO
    Posts
    4,750
    CPU: AMD FX8320 at 4.8ghz
    M/B: Gigibyte GA990fx-UD5
    RAM: 16GB Hyper-X Predator 2133mhz
    GPU: 3x Sapphire 7950 Dual-x 3GB
    • Cyberburnout's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Switch 810 Matte
      • PSU:
      • INWin Commander II 1200w
      • Cooling:
      • Customer H20 with XSPC cpu block. Swiftech 320 Rad 3 Phanteks 120mm fans.2 120mm NZXT Fans in Front, 1 120mm NZXT fan in rear Recon Fan controller. Blue UV cooling liquid
      • Sound:
      • ONBOARD
      • Monitor:
      • lG 55in lcd TV
      • OS:
      • WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE X64
      • Misc:
      • Blue LED Lights
    Thanks
    49
    Thanked 936 Times in 563 Posts
    Points: 18,787, Level: 41
    Points: 18,787, Level: 41
    Level completed: 82%,
    Points required for next Level: 163
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 163
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Overall activity: 99.7%

    Default Re: Re-using Motherboard Waterblocks

    Quote Originally Posted by Kung Pow View Post
    Drilling new holes is probably not recommended either.
    I will just wait and see.

    As in terms of the VII Formula, there is indeed some copper in there, however the block casing/shell is still made of anodized aluminum.
    Essentially, this should be fine, but there have already been some corrosion reports, unfortunately.
    It's also supposed to be highly restrictive, which would be a negative aspect in my loop setup.
    I am going to get one of these korean QNIX 1440P monitors from ebay, which is why I'll probably go SLI.
    And with two GPU Blocks + CPU Blocks and rads, the mobo blocks just can't be missing.
    I specifically got a 35X for more headpressure.

    At 03:00 he explains it

    We wanted to square off our systems, remember?
    I think you are going to go X99.
    Even though DDR4 isn't really gonna be significant and nobody can afford six or eight core CPUs anyway?

    Look forward to see you build with you finish the upgrades.
    Id like to get an X99 system too. Might have to go whore myself on the corner for a bit. That would take care of the board. Not sure what to do about 6 core or 8 core and the DDR4! lol What get an M.2 SSD? Im going to be selling a lot of my a**!!!
    "If you got it, Build it"

    A+ Certified. Dell, Lenovo, HP, Lexmarks, Xerox, Panasonic and NEC Certified ASP.

  7. #7
    Regular Member

    Status
    Kung Pow is offline

    Last Online
    16-11-2014 @ 22:20
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    523
    CPU: i7 960 (4.7GHZ)
    M/B: Gigabyte GA X58A-OC
    RAM: Kingston Hyper X DDR3 12 GB
    GPU: MSI GTX 580 Lightning 1GHZ - TWFIII
    • Kung Pow's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Little Devil V8
      • PSU:
      • Revolution +85 1000 Watt
      • Cooling:
      • H2O CPU - Koolance 370 2x480 rads (Phobya G Changer 1.2 D5 Combo 1/2" Tubing
      • Monitor:
      • 42 inch 1920 x 1080 Full HD
      • OS:
      • Windows 7 64
    Thanks
    36
    Thanked 18 Times in 15 Posts
    Points: 7,553, Level: 26
    Points: 7,553, Level: 26
    Level completed: 1%,
    Points required for next Level: 597
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 597
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Overall activity: 6.0%

    Default Re: Re-using Motherboard Waterblocks

    Have all of you guys become SuperMods now?
    Goodness.

    You should only decide for X99 if you really needed the features.
    The only benefit of DDR4 is going to be higher native frequency specification on both the boards and dimms, such as 2133MHZ and higher. Meaning, that overclocking to 3000MHZ and above might become a more feasible goal.
    But the 1.2V instead of 1.5V - 1.65V is simply insignificant.
    I personally have 4 DDR3 Dimms from TeamGroup 2133 CL9, which go beyond 2400 with ease.
    Loveīem to death and can really recommend this brand.

    Other than that, there will be the 40 PCI Lanes, which only makes sense with Tri SLI, or some other heavy PCIE usage scenario.
    And I donīt believe that more than 5% of the community actually requires a 6 or 8 core to conduct their daily duties.

    The best bet for the hardcore overclocker/gamer will be the i7 4790K, which will come with a Turbo of 4.4GHZ.
    Imagine the punishment I will put on this b*tch.
    Last edited by Kung Pow; 19-08-2014 at 16:43.

  8. #8
    Core Member

    Status
    realneil is online now

    Last Online
    Today @ 20:13
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    7,575
    CPU: i7-2600K and FX-8350
    M/B: ASRock Z68 Extreme 7 Gen-3 and 990FX Extreme3
    RAM: 16GB Mushkin Redline 2133 & 16GB GSKill Red 2133
    GPU: 2X-R9-280Xs Crossfire & 2X-GTX-570s SLI
    • realneil's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Rosewill Blackhawk Ultra & Rosewill Blackhawk
      • PSU:
      • SeaSonic & Rosewill
      • Cooling:
      • Corsair H80 and Corsair H60, Both with dual high flow, low noise fans added.
      • Sound:
      • both onboard
      • Monitor:
      • ASUS 27" & Hannspree 24"
      • OS:
      • Win-7 64Bit on both
      • Misc:
      • JBL Creature-II Sound systems on each PC, Plextor DVD Burners on both systems. Third System: AMD FX-8350 on an ASRock Mainboard 16GB GSKill Sniper DDR3-1600 with 2 GTX-570s in SLI Two 120GB SSDs and one 1.5TB HDD Plextor DVD Burner ViewSonic 23" Screen
    Thanks
    1,354
    Thanked 778 Times in 686 Posts
    Points: 31,692, Level: 54
    Points: 31,692, Level: 54
    Level completed: 77%,
    Points required for next Level: 258
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 258
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Overall activity: 99.8%

    Default Re: Re-using Motherboard Waterblocks

    Quote Originally Posted by Kung Pow View Post
    Have all of you guys become SuperMods now?Goodness.
    No, not all of us,......

  9. #9
    Regular Member

    Status
    Smiki007 is offline

    Last Online
    Today @ 11:50
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Lima, Peru
    Posts
    1,342
    CPU: i7 3970x @ 5.0GHz
    M/B: Rampage IV Black Edition
    RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3 1600 MHz, 64GB
    GPU: 2x EVGA GTX 780 SLI with EK Water Blocks
    • Smiki007's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Obsidian 900d
      • PSU:
      • MaxRevo 1350W 80+ Gold
      • Cooling:
      • Swiftech (APOGEE HD Black CPU Water Block, MCP655-B Pump, MCR-X20 Radiator with integrated MCP35X Pump and Reservoir and MCRES Rev.2 Reservoir) + Phobya (Xstream 200mm and G Changer 360mm Radiator) + Primochill PrimoFlex Advanced LRT Tubing (Blod Red).
      • Monitor:
      • ASUS VG278H 3D
      • OS:
      • W7 Professional x64 SP1
    Thanks
    106
    Thanked 127 Times in 112 Posts
    Points: 13,860, Level: 35
    Points: 13,860, Level: 35
    Level completed: 73%,
    Points required for next Level: 190
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 190
    Overall activity: 85.0%
    Overall activity: 85.0%

    Default Re: Re-using Motherboard Waterblocks

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyberburnout View Post
    Look forward to see you build with you finish the upgrades.
    Id like to get an X99 system too. Might have to go whore myself on the corner for a bit. That would take care of the board. Not sure what to do about 6 core or 8 core and the DDR4! lol What get an M.2 SSD? Im going to be selling a lot of my a**!!!
    Just don't sell it cheap. , and always keep your dignity.

    PS. About the WB, For more that are ROG series (Formula), I do not think you can pair an Mosfet/Chipset water block from one older model of board to a newer one.

    Always look beyond the limits...

  10. #10
    Regular Member

    Status
    Kung Pow is offline

    Last Online
    16-11-2014 @ 22:20
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    523
    CPU: i7 960 (4.7GHZ)
    M/B: Gigabyte GA X58A-OC
    RAM: Kingston Hyper X DDR3 12 GB
    GPU: MSI GTX 580 Lightning 1GHZ - TWFIII
    • Kung Pow's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Little Devil V8
      • PSU:
      • Revolution +85 1000 Watt
      • Cooling:
      • H2O CPU - Koolance 370 2x480 rads (Phobya G Changer 1.2 D5 Combo 1/2" Tubing
      • Monitor:
      • 42 inch 1920 x 1080 Full HD
      • OS:
      • Windows 7 64
    Thanks
    36
    Thanked 18 Times in 15 Posts
    Points: 7,553, Level: 26
    Points: 7,553, Level: 26
    Level completed: 1%,
    Points required for next Level: 597
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 597
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Overall activity: 6.0%

    Default Re: Re-using Motherboard Waterblocks

    Quote Originally Posted by realneil View Post
    No, not all of us,......
    Lol.
    The distribution of power has apparently changed around here.
    Deton would thus have to be the site owner at this point.

  11. #11
    Moderator

    Status
    Solara2xb is offline

    Last Online
    Today @ 19:39
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Alta Loma, CA
    Posts
    4,896
    CPU: Intel i7 5930K / Intel i7 4820K / Intel i7 4770K
    M/B: ASUS X99 R5E / ASUS X79 Sabertooth / ASUS Z97 MVIIF
    RAM: 32GB Kingston DDR4 2400MHz / 32GB Corsair 1866MHz / 16GB Kingston HyperX 1866MHz
    GPU: EVGA GTX780 SLI Classy / EVGA GTX 780 SLI / XFX R9 290 (xfire) w XSPC WB
    • Solara2xb's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Corsair 750D / Corsair A540 / NZXT P630
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 1000G2 / Corsair AX1200 / Corsair AX1200
      • Cooling:
      • ALL Systems running Custom Water Cooling
      • Monitor:
      • 3x Dell 24" IPS on XFX Triple Stand 5760x1200
      • OS:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate
    Thanks
    1,150
    Thanked 523 Times in 456 Posts
    Points: 100,446, Level: 98
    Points: 100,446, Level: 98
    Level completed: 70%,
    Points required for next Level: 604
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 604
    Overall activity: 73.0%
    Overall activity: 73.0%

    Default Re: Re-using Motherboard Waterblocks

    Quote Originally Posted by Kung Pow View Post
    Have all of you guys become SuperMods now?
    Goodness.

    You should only decide for X99 if you really needed the features.
    The only benefit of DDR4 is going to be higher native frequency specification on both the boards and dimms, such as 2133MHZ and higher. Meaning, that overclocking to 3000MHZ and above will become a more feasible goal.
    But the 1.2V instead of 1.5V - 1.65V is simply insignificant.
    I personally have 4 DDR3 Dimms from TeamGroup 2133 CL9, which go beyond 2400 with ease.
    Loveīem to death and can really recommend this brand.

    Other than that, there will be the 40 PCI Lanes, which only makes sense with Tri SLI, or some other heavy PCIE usage scenario.
    And I donīt believe that more than 5% of the community actually requires a 6 or 8 core to conduct their daily duties.

    The best bet for the hardcore overclocker/gamer will be the i7 4790K, which will come with a Turbo of 4.4GHZ.
    Imagine the punishment I will put on this b*tch.
    True, Unless you plan on taking advantage of the new features and options from the new chipset there really is no need for upgrading, however as you mentioned, with the high native memory speeds and DDR 4 support is where this will push for its selling point. Not only this, but the new chips will now come with a soldered CPU IHS which has proven in the pass to be great in overclocking and for overclockers like us, this can make us jump onto the bandwagan. While most users can be contempt with even the 3770K, who doesn't like new tech.. lolz..

    Also the support for the new SATA Express and M.2 SATA drives will be another feature to jump on.



    Quote Originally Posted by Smiki007 View Post
    Just don't sell it cheap. , and always keep your dignity.

    PS. About the WB, For more that are ROG series (Formula), I do not think you can pair an Mosfet/Chipset water block from one older model of board to a newer one.
    Yea, at this point, reusing a block from another board is pretty slim since placement and VRM and CAP alignment will be a tough call. I would say sell the block and repurchase at this time for a board that you are looking to purchase. This will save you the most time and headache.

    As for the ROG series MB block, I did some reading and looks like they are still using a aluminum housing that has been powder coated and then a copper block in the housing to do the cooling. As far as issue with this, I haven't read about any, I know that the M6F did have some issue, but that is a diff heatsink set up than the M7F. I guess time will tell.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kung Pow View Post
    Lol.
    The distribution of power has apparently changed around here.
    Deton would thus have to be the site owner at this point.
    Hahahaha.. speaking of Denton, I haven't heard from him for a while. I think the last time I talked to Denton was almost 8 or 9 months ago.

  12. #12
    Regular Member

    Status
    Kung Pow is offline

    Last Online
    16-11-2014 @ 22:20
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    523
    CPU: i7 960 (4.7GHZ)
    M/B: Gigabyte GA X58A-OC
    RAM: Kingston Hyper X DDR3 12 GB
    GPU: MSI GTX 580 Lightning 1GHZ - TWFIII
    • Kung Pow's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Little Devil V8
      • PSU:
      • Revolution +85 1000 Watt
      • Cooling:
      • H2O CPU - Koolance 370 2x480 rads (Phobya G Changer 1.2 D5 Combo 1/2" Tubing
      • Monitor:
      • 42 inch 1920 x 1080 Full HD
      • OS:
      • Windows 7 64
    Thanks
    36
    Thanked 18 Times in 15 Posts
    Points: 7,553, Level: 26
    Points: 7,553, Level: 26
    Level completed: 1%,
    Points required for next Level: 597
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 597
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Overall activity: 6.0%

    Default Re: Re-using Motherboard Waterblocks

    Quote Originally Posted by Solara2xb View Post
    True, Unless you plan on taking advantage of the new features and options from the new chipset there really is no need for upgrading, however as you mentioned, with the high native memory speeds and DDR 4 support is where this will push for its selling point. Not only this, but the new chips will now come with a soldered CPU IHS which has proven in the pass to be great in overclocking and for overclockers like us, this can make us jump onto the bandwagan. While most users can be contempt with even the 3770K, who doesn't like new tech.. lolz..

    Also the support for the new SATA Express and M.2 SATA drives will be another feature to jump on.
    I believe, that the Devilīs Canyon chips, especially considering the K series CPUs, also carry this feature in regards to the soldering of the IHS.
    Since so many people de-lidded their Haswell chips.

    Strictly from an overclockability perspective, I expect the i7 4970K to be superior to the Quad Core of the Extreme platform, such as it has been exhibited by its predecessors in the past

    The Extreme Platform has always made more sense with the higher tier CPUs, if people didn't specifically need features such as the 40 lanes or in this case higher RAM frequencies.
    Even though I haven't really been stunned by DDR4.
    People are already using RAM frequencies way beyond 2400MHZ without any issues.
    Higher native frequencies, won't necessarily imply higher overclockability.

    SATA Express has got my vote, though.
    Hopefully, this feature will be available on other platforms as well.

  13. #13
    Moderator

    Status
    Solara2xb is offline

    Last Online
    Today @ 19:39
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Alta Loma, CA
    Posts
    4,896
    CPU: Intel i7 5930K / Intel i7 4820K / Intel i7 4770K
    M/B: ASUS X99 R5E / ASUS X79 Sabertooth / ASUS Z97 MVIIF
    RAM: 32GB Kingston DDR4 2400MHz / 32GB Corsair 1866MHz / 16GB Kingston HyperX 1866MHz
    GPU: EVGA GTX780 SLI Classy / EVGA GTX 780 SLI / XFX R9 290 (xfire) w XSPC WB
    • Solara2xb's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Corsair 750D / Corsair A540 / NZXT P630
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 1000G2 / Corsair AX1200 / Corsair AX1200
      • Cooling:
      • ALL Systems running Custom Water Cooling
      • Monitor:
      • 3x Dell 24" IPS on XFX Triple Stand 5760x1200
      • OS:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate
    Thanks
    1,150
    Thanked 523 Times in 456 Posts
    Points: 100,446, Level: 98
    Points: 100,446, Level: 98
    Level completed: 70%,
    Points required for next Level: 604
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 604
    Overall activity: 73.0%
    Overall activity: 73.0%

    Default Re: Re-using Motherboard Waterblocks

    Quote Originally Posted by Kung Pow View Post
    I believe, that the Devilīs Canyon chips, especially considering the K series CPUs, also carry this feature in regards to the soldering of the IHS.
    Since so many people de-lidded their Haswell chips.

    Strictly from an overclockability perspective, I expect the i7 4970K to be superior to the Quad Core of the Extreme platform, such as it has been exhibited by its predecessors in the past

    The Extreme Platform has always made more sense with the higher tier CPUs, if people didn't specifically need features such as the 40 lanes or in this case higher RAM frequencies.
    Even though I haven't really been stunned by DDR4.
    People are already using RAM frequencies way beyond 2400MHZ without any issues.
    Higher native frequencies, won't necessarily imply higher overclockability.

    SATA Express has got my vote, though.
    Hopefully, this feature will be available on other platforms as well.
    From what I have seen and read, the Devils Canyon chips are TIM between the IHS and the overclocking isn't much better than its previous Haswell 4770K.
    Having own the 4770K the chip does a good job in terms of performance, but overclocking is limited to 4.6-4.7GHz limit without diving into the red zone in terms of voltages which will bring temps up even with water cooling.

    The 4790K was roughly about the same in terms of overclocking and performance between the 2 vary around 5-10% increase. For most, not worth the upgrade if you are already running the 4770K.

    You are correct, while the numbers for DDR4 is not high right now, the target native speeds for DDR4 is suppose to be 3000Mhz + once it has matured. DDR3 hasn't been able to see those numbers natively right now, 2666Mhz and 2400Mhz are the numbers we see now.

    The Z97 chipset brought out the SATA Express and M.2 SATA support which is the biggest role for upgrading right now, but with limited drives and support right now on that whole sector is on hold till manufactures can start releasing them. But I do think that once the X99 chipset is released the SATA Express and M.2 Sata drive support will pick up pace and much like the SSD's we see now, we are going to see greater performance for those speed devils.

  14. #14
    Regular Member

    Status
    Kung Pow is offline

    Last Online
    16-11-2014 @ 22:20
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    523
    CPU: i7 960 (4.7GHZ)
    M/B: Gigabyte GA X58A-OC
    RAM: Kingston Hyper X DDR3 12 GB
    GPU: MSI GTX 580 Lightning 1GHZ - TWFIII
    • Kung Pow's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Little Devil V8
      • PSU:
      • Revolution +85 1000 Watt
      • Cooling:
      • H2O CPU - Koolance 370 2x480 rads (Phobya G Changer 1.2 D5 Combo 1/2" Tubing
      • Monitor:
      • 42 inch 1920 x 1080 Full HD
      • OS:
      • Windows 7 64
    Thanks
    36
    Thanked 18 Times in 15 Posts
    Points: 7,553, Level: 26
    Points: 7,553, Level: 26
    Level completed: 1%,
    Points required for next Level: 597
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 597
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Overall activity: 6.0%

    Default Re: Re-using Motherboard Waterblocks

    Quote Originally Posted by Solara2xb View Post
    From what I have seen and read, the Devils Canyon chips are TIM between the IHS and the overclocking isn't much better than its previous Haswell 4770K.
    Having own the 4770K the chip does a good job in terms of performance, but overclocking is limited to 4.6-4.7GHz limit without diving into the red zone in terms of voltages which will bring temps up even with water cooling.

    The 4790K was roughly about the same in terms of overclocking and performance between the 2 vary around 5-10% increase. For most, not worth the upgrade if you are already running the 4770K.

    You are correct, while the numbers for DDR4 is not high right now, the target native speeds for DDR4 is suppose to be 3000Mhz + once it has matured. DDR3 hasn't been able to see those numbers natively right now, 2666Mhz and 2400Mhz are the numbers we see now.

    The Z97 chipset brought out the SATA Express and M.2 SATA support which is the biggest role for upgrading right now, but with limited drives and support right now on that whole sector is on hold till manufactures can start releasing them. But I do think that once the X99 chipset is released the SATA Express and M.2 Sata drive support will pick up pace and much like the SSD's we see now, we are going to see greater performance for those speed devils.
    Devilīs Canyon features a new polymer thermal interface, which is supposed to provide better heat conductivity.
    http://www.extremetech.com/wp-conten...vilsCanyon.png

    The 4790K seems to consistently hit frequencies beyond 5GHZ with subsidiary cooling solutions.
    Considering its stock Turbo of 4.4GHZ, that seems unsurprising.
    Intel themselves stated, that the chip would hit 5GHZ on air.

    "It can be overclocked to 5GHz in air-cooled systems, said Renee James, president of Intel, during a keynote speech at the Computex trade show in Taipei."

    http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic...chip_hits_5GHz
    *** Intel i7 4790K 5GHz Club *** - Page 2 - Overclockers UK Forums
    HARDOCP - Devil's Canyon: The Good, the Bad, the Ugly - Intel Devil's Canyon: The Good, the Bad, the Ugly

    I personally choose the i7 4790K, because I intend to overclock heavily and do not wish to spend too much money for the CPU.
    And since the only Haswell-E chip (lower-end Quad Core), which would be comparable to the 4790K in terms of price, will most likely also be inferior in terms of overclocking, as it has been the case in the past, Iīd rather choose it for a better value/performance ratio.

    People who can simply afford or actually require the upper-end of Haswell-E chips, would certainly benefit and gain the advantage in that regard, though.

    As in terms of DDR4, I think I read, that the X99 boards will carry a 1866 MHz - 2133MHZ rating.
    Intel Haswell-E has 8-cores, X99 chipset, DDR4 memory
    However, a higher rated native speed connectivity, does not translate to higher overclockability.
    And since we already run 2133MHZ and way beyond, without any problems, I donīt see the point.
    I guess you are guaranteed to run 2133MHZ absolutely stable, since the board would be rated for it.

    I didnīt know, that SATA Express is already available with Z97?
    I think its cool.
    I have run a cheap SSD Raid array with a couple of EVO drives.
    Actually, I wanted to upgrade to a PCIE SSD, but I think I will rather wait for Express drives.
    Last edited by Kung Pow; 19-08-2014 at 19:17.

  15. #15
    Moderator

    Status
    Solara2xb is offline

    Last Online
    Today @ 19:39
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Alta Loma, CA
    Posts
    4,896
    CPU: Intel i7 5930K / Intel i7 4820K / Intel i7 4770K
    M/B: ASUS X99 R5E / ASUS X79 Sabertooth / ASUS Z97 MVIIF
    RAM: 32GB Kingston DDR4 2400MHz / 32GB Corsair 1866MHz / 16GB Kingston HyperX 1866MHz
    GPU: EVGA GTX780 SLI Classy / EVGA GTX 780 SLI / XFX R9 290 (xfire) w XSPC WB
    • Solara2xb's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Corsair 750D / Corsair A540 / NZXT P630
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 1000G2 / Corsair AX1200 / Corsair AX1200
      • Cooling:
      • ALL Systems running Custom Water Cooling
      • Monitor:
      • 3x Dell 24" IPS on XFX Triple Stand 5760x1200
      • OS:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate
    Thanks
    1,150
    Thanked 523 Times in 456 Posts
    Points: 100,446, Level: 98
    Points: 100,446, Level: 98
    Level completed: 70%,
    Points required for next Level: 604
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 604
    Overall activity: 73.0%
    Overall activity: 73.0%

    Default Re: Re-using Motherboard Waterblocks

    Quote Originally Posted by Kung Pow View Post
    Devilīs Canyon features a new polymer thermal interface, which is supposed to provide better heat conductivity.
    http://www.extremetech.com/wp-conten...vilsCanyon.png

    The 4790K seems to consistently hit frequencies beyond 5GHZ with subsidiary cooling solutions.
    Considering its stock Turbo of 4.4GHZ, that seems unsurprising.
    Intel themselves stated, that the chip would hit 5GHZ on air.

    "It can be overclocked to 5GHz in air-cooled systems, said Renee James, president of Intel, during a keynote speech at the Computex trade show in Taipei."

    Intel's new Core i7 chip hits 5GHz - Computerworld
    *** Intel i7 4790K 5GHz Club *** - Page 2 - Overclockers UK Forums
    HARDOCP - Devil's Canyon: The Good, the Bad, the Ugly - Intel Devil's Canyon: The Good, the Bad, the Ugly

    I personally choose the i7 4790K, because I intend to overclock heavily and do not wish to spend too much money for the CPU.
    And since the only Haswell-E chip (lower-end Quad Core), which would be comparable to the 4790K in terms of price, will most likely also be inferior in terms of overclocking, as it has been the case in the past, Iīd rather choose it for a better value/performance ratio.

    People who can simply afford or actually require the upper-end of Haswell-E chips, would certainly benefit and gain the advantage in that regard, though.

    As in terms of DDR4, I think I read, that the X99 boards will carry a 1866 MHz - 2133MHZ rating.
    Intel Haswell-E has 8-cores, X99 chipset, DDR4 memory
    However, a higher rated native speed connectivity, does not translate to higher overclockability.
    And since we already run 2133MHZ and way beyond, without any problems, I donīt see the point.
    I guess you are guaranteed to run 2133MHZ absolutely stable, since the board would be rated for it.

    I didnīt know, that SATA Express is already available with Z97?
    I think its cool.
    I have run a cheap SSD Raid array with a couple of EVO drives.
    Actually, I wanted to upgrade to a PCIE SSD, but I think I will rather wait for Express drives.
    The initial release of devils canyon did speculate that chips were able to hit 5GHz on air due to the new thermal interface (however still not a soldered IHS vs TIM base IHS), however a lot of the reviews that hit 5GHz were Engineer samples and have a proven track record of being cherry picked for review sites to show the higher clocks. If you have been following the Z97 chipset and Devils canyon release you will see many other reviews showing that most "retail" chips don't have the capability to hit 5Ghz on air. While some have come close with water cooling, most of the reviews and "consumer retail" chips have seen to hit about 4.6 to 4.7GHz and not even on air, but water cooling.

    So in theory of the 5GHz on air was complete and utter luck and cherry picked 4970K processors. However, this is the reading I have done on my own from forums and a batch of reviews that I have glanced over. Since I personally don't have the 4790K, I can't say exactly how true or accurate this information is, but if 80% of the reviews that I have been reading regarding retail chips have mentioned the same info, I can only use that as a reference point.

    Also in regards to the Haswell E chips, if you were not aware, they did away with the quad core chips, the base model 5820K will sport a 6 core model vs its previous 4 core like the 4820k. So for those looking for more cores and a better value than its previous 3930k, then the 5820K def. can fit the bill, but is also still comes with a retail price tag of $425 USD to begin with. However not bad if you take into consideration what you get and comparing to the 3930K as reference. However, the 4790k does come with a better value at $329 USD most places. Slightly cheaper if you have a MC near you. So I can't blame you for wanting to go with the 4790K, If I didn't already have the 4770K, I would probably spring for the 4790K myself.

    As for memory speeds, one can debate on which is going to be a better choice, but at this time, until DDR4 is out, we don't know exactly what to expect yet. One can hope for lower CL and faster memory speeds and tighter timings.. and let's not forget that they are suppose to be much more voltage friendly with volts ranging from 1.2-1.35volts. Plenty of headroom for a overclocker to jump up and down.

    As for the SATA Express and M.2 SATA, I am waiting for more drives to be available to see what this can really do. The Z97 introduced this line up but there hadn't been much out to really fully test this sector. PCIe SSDs are also good choice, but also with the limited amount of support and availability, one can only wonder if SATA Express will outperform and be a cheaper alternative.

  16. The following user thanks Solara2xb For this above post:

    vinman (20-08-2014)

  17. #16
    Regular Member

    Status
    Kung Pow is offline

    Last Online
    16-11-2014 @ 22:20
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    523
    CPU: i7 960 (4.7GHZ)
    M/B: Gigabyte GA X58A-OC
    RAM: Kingston Hyper X DDR3 12 GB
    GPU: MSI GTX 580 Lightning 1GHZ - TWFIII
    • Kung Pow's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Little Devil V8
      • PSU:
      • Revolution +85 1000 Watt
      • Cooling:
      • H2O CPU - Koolance 370 2x480 rads (Phobya G Changer 1.2 D5 Combo 1/2" Tubing
      • Monitor:
      • 42 inch 1920 x 1080 Full HD
      • OS:
      • Windows 7 64
    Thanks
    36
    Thanked 18 Times in 15 Posts
    Points: 7,553, Level: 26
    Points: 7,553, Level: 26
    Level completed: 1%,
    Points required for next Level: 597
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 597
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Overall activity: 6.0%

    Default Re: Re-using Motherboard Waterblocks

    Apparently, I have been gone too long.

    You are right, the lowest end chip now poses as a 6 core as well.
    They have probably realized the utter level of redundancy regarding a crippled Quad Core in that line.
    Hence accomplishing, that exclusively people who actually require a 6 or 8 core, will buy into X99.
    The 5820K seems superior, however its price point will quickly diminish that advantage. It also only has 28 Lanes, compared to the upper range of Haswell-E chips.
    The 4790K will be the best value/performance option,especially considering its great overclockability, while the majority of community members simply wonīt benefit or at least wonīt fully be able to utilize a 6 or 8 core.
    Do you actually perform tasks which absolutely demand and justify a 6 core?
    The field of application is rather slim and very specific.


    Itīs true that most review samples are deliberately cherry picked, but that is generally the case with most CPUs and GPUs.
    However, many members of forums, such as overclock.net, extremeoverclocking.com and overclockers.co.uk consistently report +5GHZ overclocks.
    I promise you 5.4GHZ, when I get mine.

    If you already have a 4770K, then just wait for broadwell.
    Doesnīt make much sense to upgrade either way.

    DDR4 seems like a fluke and by the time SATA Express drives are available for a reasonable price, broadwell will be around the corner
    Last edited by Kung Pow; 20-08-2014 at 11:49.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Similar Threads

  1. Nzxt Phantom 630 + AMD + EK WaterBlocks
    By Solara2xb in forum Work Logs
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 09-07-2013, 19:07
  2. Looking to buy HD 6870 Waterblocks
    By J3dimindtr1cks in forum Buy/Sell/Trade/Online Deals
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-06-2013, 15:37
  3. EK WaterBlocks Issues
    By bmelf in forum Cooling
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 13-06-2011, 20:52
  4. Waterblocks tested on i7
    By HESmelaugh in forum Cooling
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 02-04-2009, 18:36
  5. Several CPU waterblocks tested
    By HESmelaugh in forum Cooling
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 10-12-2008, 06:56

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search tags.
Click on a term to search for related topics.

Tags for this Thread