motherboards
Arctic
Arctic Feezer 7x
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: DarkMatter Upgrade (Transfusion!)

Gu3

Status

Last Online
    18-04-2019 @ 12:45
    CPU: i7-4770K @ 4GHZ
    M/B: MSI Z87 MPOWER ATX LGA1150
    RAM: 32GB (2 X Crucial 16GB Ballistix Elite (2 x 8GB) CAS 9, DDR3 1866 )
    GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 4GB Dual FTW ACX
    • Gu3's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define R4 Blackout
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic XPS2 / 660W / 660 Platinum
      • Cooling:
      • Swiftech ApogeeXL Water Block Alphacool NexXxos ST30 Full Copper Slim Profile Dual 120mm Radiator EK DDC X-RES Top 140 with 3.2 Pump (PWM) Pump/Res Primochill LST 3/8x5/8" Tubing BitsPower Premium Black Matt Compression Fittings Cougar CF-V12HPB Fans Monsoon Silver Bullet
      • Monitor:
      • 3 x Asus VS247H-P 23.6"
      • Linux Mint 18.1
      • Misc:
      • System Name: Dark Matter Build: http://pcpartpicker.com/b/rrccCJ BIOS Overclock to 4GHZ. Memory @ Stock Speed. Purely an amateur, built for HandBrake.
    Thanks
    Level completed: 81%,
    Points required for next Level: 118
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 118
    Overall activity: 0%

Default DarkMatter Upgrade (Transfusion!)

Hello All!

If you've been following my thread on the Glacer 240L, you'll know what's going on....otherwise, well, let's just say I'm dissatisfied with the cooling loop in my machine "DarkMatter".

So, thanks to all the help on the Forums, I've made some decisions, and I'll post the updated hardware list here (and update it as necessary). Whether I get around to a build log and photos is another question, but perhaps. It is Winter in Virginia after all, so...why not?

In any case, a bit of System Info (also in my profile).

Case: Define R4 BlackOut Edition. Center 3.5" Drive Bay Removed.

Components: MSI MPower Z87 / Intel 4770K / EVGA GTX 760 FTW 4GB w ACX 2.0 / 32GB of Crucial Ballistix Elite DDR 1866 / Seasonic 660XP Platinum PSU / 3 2.5" SSD's (1 Samsung, 2 Crucial) / 2 Blu-Ray Drives (One's really a spare)
    A basic component selection explanation and photos is here: Gu3's Completed Build - Intel Core i7-4770K, EVGA GeForce GTX 760, Fractal Design Define R4 Blackout with Window - PCPartPicker

My goal is silence basically. I'm getting older and crankier, and I don't like noise. The main functions of this machine are (very) light gaming, with a bunch of handbrake transcoding, and some half hearted pursuit of my Master's Degree.

So. Right now, we have the aforementioned Glacer 240L doing cooling duty.

Cooling Loop Plan.

Simple. CPU Only. The ACX Cooler on the EVGA works just fine and is virtually silent. I plan on replacing it with a 960 or 970 Maxwell at some point, which is even less likely to need water cooling, but you never know...so I'm planning on the possibility of adding to my loop later. Top mounted radiator. Dual Front 140 Intake Fans, and single rear 140 Exhaust Fan. PSU is set up for exhaust as well, but it rarely comes on. Dual 120mm fans are set up to pull through the Rad out the top of the case.

So...Finally, component selection.

Waterblock: Swiftech Apogee XL. After several ringing endorsements, and the fact that it fits right into DarkMatter's theme (all black), this Waterblock wins the race over the Raystorm. Besides I have a gift card for MicroCenter that makes this effectively free! Woot!

Radiator: Alphacool NexXxos ST30 Full Copper Slim Profile Dual 120mm. I really wanted a Black Ice GT Stealth 240, but Danger Den is the only retailer that claims stock, and their status is kind of Vague (to say the least). The ST30 was highly recommended, and the slim profile helps fit it into the Define. Not to mention, I can get it on FrozenCPU with a gasket for $55.15 shipped!

Pump/Res. Given the removal of the drive bay in the Define, I have a nice space right in the middle front of the case that would be perfect for my reservoir/pump. It won't really be visible through the window, but it'll be easy to service & require almost no work to mount (yay!). So. I've decided (for the moment) on the EK DDC X-RES Top 140 with 3.2 Pump (PWM) and I'm going to have Frozen CPU Sleeve the cables in black braid. An alternate is the Swiftech MCP655-PWM with an appropriate top and mount. However the pump mount/ Plus a Reservoir and additional fittings kind of drive the cost up a bit, so I'm aiming for the EK unless I learn something horrible about it.

Fittings/Hose: I'm leaning towards BitsPower or Monsoon, with PrimoFlex 3/8 by 1/2" Black Tubing. This will depend on the Microcenter factor, as that gift card will have enough room to pay for some/all of this, but I'm not sure what fittings they carry (their website is generally inaccurate as to what they really have in the store).

Fans. I dunno, I could re-use the Glacer Fans, but I'd like some slim fans. So, I'm trying a pair of Cooler Master XtraFlo 120 Slims (Cooler Master: XtraFlo 120 Slim) Which will give me back 10mm and make the Radiator fit a little better. If they don't work well, I may upgrade to Noctua NF-F12's in the industrial color (Black).

I'll post updates as I go along. Thanks for reading, comments welcome.

Gu3
    Last edited by Gu3; 20-01-2015 at 11:39. Reason: Corrected Waterblock

2. The following user thanks Gu3 For this above post:

bartelby (03-01-2015)

Core Member

Status

Last Online
    08-09-2017 @ 13:12
    CPU: Intel 4790K @ 4.6GHz
    M/B: ASUS Z97 Sabertooth
    RAM: 16GB Patriot Viper Xtreme D4 2133
    GPU: nVidia GTX 780 Reference
    • Ciarlatano's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Phanteks Evolv ATX
      • PSU:
      • be quiet! DPP 10 1000W
      • Cooling:
      • EKWB Supremacy EVO, Swiftech Komodo NV-LE, D5 PWM Monsoon MMRS HWL Nemesis 360GTS 3 Phanteks F120MP, 3 Phanteks F140SP
      • Sound:
      • ASUS Essence STX
      • Monitor:
      • ASUS 24"
      • Windows 7 64
    Thanks
    Level completed: 55%,
    Points required for next Level: 406
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 406

Default Re: DarkMatter Upgrade (Transfusion!)

A couple of things:

1. Performance PCs has the Nemesis 240GTS in stock. This is the current model, no one has the 240GT because it is a discontinued piece. The GTS has some nice performance upgrades. The Alphacool is a nice rad, also. I use both brands currently and have no complaints.

2. You should distinctly look at doing 3./8 x 5/8, not 3./8 x 1/2. The 1/2 OD has an extremely thin wall that collapses very easily, meaning that you have to do much larger bends and makes for a messy install.

Gu3

Status

Last Online
    • Gu3's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • PSU:
      • Cooling:
      • Swiftech ApogeeXL Water Block Alphacool NexXxos ST30 Full Copper Slim Profile Dual 120mm Radiator EK DDC X-RES Top 140 with 3.2 Pump (PWM) Pump/Res Primochill LST 3/8x5/8" Tubing BitsPower Premium Black Matt Compression Fittings Cougar CF-V12HPB Fans Monsoon Silver Bullet
      • Monitor:
      • 3 x Asus VS247H-P 23.6"
      • Linux Mint 18.1
      • Misc:
      • System Name: Dark Matter Build: http://pcpartpicker.com/b/rrccCJ BIOS Overclock to 4GHZ. Memory @ Stock Speed. Purely an amateur, built for HandBrake.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ciarlatano View Post
    A couple of things:

1. Performance PCs has the Nemesis 240GTS in stock. This is the current model, no one has the 240GT because it is a discontinued piece. The GTS has some nice performance upgrades. The Alphacool is a nice rad, also. I use both brands currently and have no complaints.

2. You should distinctly look at doing 3./8 x 5/8, not 3./8 x 1/2. The 1/2 OD has an extremely thin wall that collapses very easily, meaning that you have to do much larger bends and makes for a messy install.
    Sorry, I mis-typed/Spoke. The Nemesis 240 GTS is what I was referring to. (Some places it seems to be called GT Stealth, others it's GTS)...and they list it, but sadly Out of Stock, and has been for the last week that I've been looking: Black Ice Nemesis 240GTS Ultra Stealth U-Flow Low Profile Radiator by Hardware Labs (Black color) The 280, and the 240 XFLOW are both in stock, but I _know_ I can't fit the 280 in, and I really want the regular model over the X flow due to connector positioning. <sigh>. But the Alphacool will be just fine!

Thanks for the tip on the Tubing. I had another Senior Moment, and was thinking 1/2 was larger than 5/8...I was specifically looking for the thicker wall. Glad you saw that!

Scott

Core Member

Status

Last Online
      • Case:
      • Phanteks Evolv ATX
      • PSU:
      • be quiet! DPP 10 1000W
      • Cooling:
      • EKWB Supremacy EVO, Swiftech Komodo NV-LE, D5 PWM Monsoon MMRS HWL Nemesis 360GTS 3 Phanteks F120MP, 3 Phanteks F140SP
      • Sound:
      • ASUS Essence STX
      • Monitor:
      • ASUS 24&quot;
      • Windows 7 64
    Thanks

Ah, you are correct. They have the Black Ice GTS240 in stock, but not the Nemesis GTS240.....HW Labs really needs some better separation on their model numbers.

Gu3

Status

Last Online
    • Gu3's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • PSU:
      • Cooling:
      • Swiftech ApogeeXL Water Block Alphacool NexXxos ST30 Full Copper Slim Profile Dual 120mm Radiator EK DDC X-RES Top 140 with 3.2 Pump (PWM) Pump/Res Primochill LST 3/8x5/8&quot; Tubing BitsPower Premium Black Matt Compression Fittings Cougar CF-V12HPB Fans Monsoon Silver Bullet
      • Monitor:
      • 3 x Asus VS247H-P 23.6&quot;
      • Linux Mint 18.1
      • Misc:
    Thanks

Just luck...I was certain you were correct and I had missed it! LOL, No worries I just bit the bullet and ordered the ST30 and the EK-XRES 140 from FrozenCPU...First two parts on the way! I'm heading to MicroCenter this afternoon to pick up the Waterblock, Tubing and _maybe_ fittings. I'm _really_ glad you spotted my Tubing/Fitting Error. I would have been most unhappy with the thinner walled tube.

Hardware Labs also need to fix their website, I think it still links to 2 or 3 "Vendors" who have been out of business for awhile (CrazyPC being one), and I _still_ can't figure out if DangerDen is dead or alive...LOL

Gu3

Status

Last Online
    • Gu3's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • PSU:
      • Cooling:
      • Swiftech ApogeeXL Water Block Alphacool NexXxos ST30 Full Copper Slim Profile Dual 120mm Radiator EK DDC X-RES Top 140 with 3.2 Pump (PWM) Pump/Res Primochill LST 3/8x5/8&quot; Tubing BitsPower Premium Black Matt Compression Fittings Cougar CF-V12HPB Fans Monsoon Silver Bullet
      • Monitor:
      • Linux Mint 18.1
      • Misc:
    Thanks

OK, picked up the 3/8 x 5/8 Primochill tubing in Black. Also grabbed the Apogee XL & on a Whim some IceDragon Coolant in brilliant White. Definitely a Whim. If I hadn't had the gift card, it would have stayed on the shelf. As it is, I may take it back.

On Fittings. Microcenter had the Monsoons & some BitsPower. As it happens I noted that they were very easy to scratch as has been stated here, (there was an open box with scratched ones in it) and I didn't really like the aesthetic. The Bitspower ones they had (wrong size) were very nice. They also had some PrimoChills, but I liked the BitsPower ones better.

So. I need to order the Fittings and a couple of odds and ends, and New Years shipping notwithstanding, I may be able to start Assembly this weekend. I'll update the parts list once I select my fittings, then we'll see what happens when all the parts come in!

Core Member

Status

Last Online
    13-07-2020 @ 20:58
    CPU: i7-2600K and FX-8350
    M/B: Gigabyte on both
    RAM: 32GB DDR4-3200 and 64GB DDR4-3000
    GPU: 980Ti SLI and RX480 Crossfire
    • realneil's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Rosewill Blackhawk Ultra &amp; Rosewill Blackhawk
      • PSU:
      • SeaSonic &amp; Rosewill
      • Cooling:
      • Corsair H80 and Corsair H60, Both with dual high flow, low noise fans added.
      • Sound:
      • both onboard
      • Monitor:
      • ASUS 27&quot; &amp; Acer 28&quot; 4K screen
      • Win-7 64Bit on both
      • Misc:
      • Klipsch Speakers, Plextor DVD Burners on all systems. Third System: Z170 Stinger W/i5-6600K, 16GB DDR4-3000, GTX-980 ViewSonic 27&quot; Screen
    Thanks
    Level completed: 84%,
    Points required for next Level: 339
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 339
    Overall activity: 85.0%

"My goal is silence basically. I'm getting older and crankier, and I don't like noise."

Those "Slim" CoolerMaster fans that you linked to are making between 8-30dBA of noise and that is LOUD! There are many fans out there that move a lot of air and only generate 16dBA of noise maximum. (this IS quiet)
    They're probably not "thin" like you wanted, but they're much easier to take over a long session of use.

I like Cougar Vortex PWM fans and you can get them in Black colors.

Core Member

Status

Last Online
      • Case:
      • Phanteks Evolv ATX
      • PSU:
      • be quiet! DPP 10 1000W
      • Cooling:
      • Sound:
      • ASUS Essence STX
      • Monitor:
      • ASUS 24&quot;
      • Windows 7 64
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by realneil View Post
    "My goal is silence basically. I'm getting older and crankier, and I don't like noise."

Those "Slim" CoolerMaster fans that you linked to are making between 8-30dBA of noise and that is LOUD! There are many fans out there that move a lot of air and only generate 16dBA of noise maximum. (this IS quiet)
    They're probably not "thin" like you wanted, but they're much easier to take over a long session of use.

I like Cougar Vortex PWM fans and you can get them in Black colors.
    Slim fans in general make more noise than their thicker counterparts with less air movement. They also have a far more intrusive tonality.

I agree with you on the Cougars, very good choice for silence.

Gu3

Status

Last Online
    • Gu3's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • PSU:
      • Cooling:
      • Monitor:
      • Linux Mint 18.1
      • Misc:
    Thanks

Good to know. I'll play with them when they finally arrive, and see how they sound. If nothing else, I can use them @ low RPM in my media server to add a little extra airflow.

I read two or three comments both ways on the noise, so decided to take a chance on them. For now, I've got the CM Fan that came with the Glacers, and I'll check out the Cougar Vortex PWM's as well.

Thanks guys!

Core Member

Status

Last Online
    • realneil's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • PSU:
      • Cooling:
      • Sound:
      • both onboard
      • Monitor:
      • Win-7 64Bit on both
      • Misc:
      • Klipsch Speakers, Plextor DVD Burners on all systems. Third System: Z170 Stinger W/i5-6600K, 16GB DDR4-3000, GTX-980 ViewSonic 27&quot; Screen
    Thanks

15-16dBA is a good target for noise levels. There are others that move a lot of air and are quiet. I like to replace 120mm fans with 140mm whenever they will fit in a fan space. They move more air and are a lot quieter than 120mm fans of the same brand.

Gu3

Status

Last Online
    • Gu3's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • PSU:
      • Cooling:
      • Monitor:
      • Linux Mint 18.1
      • Misc:
    Thanks

Yeah...think the IceDragon is going back too...Just read a thread on Overclockers Forums about it.... Almost certainly not worth it, especially when I have a gallon of distilled water at the house anyway...LOL.

Impulse purchases...meh.

Core Member

Status

Last Online
    • realneil's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • PSU:
      • Cooling:
      • Sound:
      • both onboard
      • Monitor:
      • Win-7 64Bit on both
      • Misc:
    Thanks

I do impulse buys. They end up on the shelf and I use them eventually.

Gu3

Status

Last Online
    • Gu3's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • PSU:
      • Cooling:
      • Monitor:
      • Linux Mint 18.1
      • Misc:
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by realneil View Post
    15-16dBA is a good target for noise levels. There are others that move a lot of air and are quiet. I like to replace 120mm fans with 140mm whenever they will fit in a fan space. They move more air and are a lot quieter than 120mm fans of the same brand.
    Agreed! In this case, fitting the 140's isn't really do-able on the top while the radiator is installed. So...120's it is. I'll fit it with the existing CM's first then try the Slims just to see how loud it is. Then I'll look at the Cougars & the Nocuta NF12's if neither the CM or the Slims make me happy. The CM's that came with the Glacer are OK, but they certainly aren't "quiet" when the system is fully loaded!

Again, thanks!

Core Member

Status

Last Online
      • Case:
      • Phanteks Evolv ATX
      • PSU:
      • be quiet! DPP 10 1000W
      • Cooling:
      • Sound:
      • ASUS Essence STX
      • Monitor:
      • ASUS 24&quot;
      • Windows 7 64
    Thanks

Check out the Thermalright TY-147, also. Very quiet with excellent air movement and good static.

Status

Last Online
    20-10-2017 @ 11:01
    CPU: Intel i7-5820k
    M/B: ASRock X99 WS
    RAM: 32GB Crucial DDR4 2133
    GPU: 2 R9-290s Xfire
    • Cyberburnout's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Urban T81
      • PSU:
      • CM Silent 350w
      • Cooling:
      • Custom H20, Ek blocks for CPU and GPUs
      • Sound:
      • ONBOARD
      • Monitor:
      • Dual 24&quot;
      • WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE X64
      • Misc:
      • White LED lighting
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,166 Times in 663 Posts
    Level completed: 78%,
    Points required for next Level: 227
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 227

What you do is run 3 480mm rads strapped to a big box fan. turn the fan on low. Problem solved!! lol Or you can trust in the power of the sailboat.

Seriously I look forward to seeing you upgrade the cooling in your rig. Ciarlatano may be a tool but he knows what he is talking about. He is a divorced, middle age, retired(forcefully) Thermodynamics engineering teacher, that sits at home with his 24 cats reading High Times magazines and eating Cheetos's by the handful waiting for his SSI to kick in. Blood pressure is really high and has terrible vision.

***0% of the above statement is true*** Well maybe the tool part.
    "If you got it, Build it"

A+ Certified. Dell, Lenovo, HP, Lexmarks, Xerox, Panasonic and NEC Certified ASP.

Status

Last Online
    30-08-2017 @ 03:07
    CPU: Intel i7 5930K / Intel i7 4820K / Intel i7 4790K
    M/B: ASUS X99 R5E / ASUS X79 Sabertooth / ASUS Z97 MVIIF
    RAM: 32GB Kingston DDR4 3000MHz / 32GB Corsair 1866MHz / 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz
    GPU: EVGA GTX780 TRI SLI Classy / EVGA GTX 780 SLI / XFX R9 290 (xfire) w XSPC WB
    • Solara2xb's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Corsair 750D / Corsair A540 / NZXT P630
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 1000G2 / Corsair AX1200 / Corsair AX1200
      • Cooling:
      • ALL Systems running Custom Water Cooling
      • Monitor:
      • 3x Dell 24&quot; IPS on XFX Triple Stand 5760x1200
      • Windows 7 Ultimate
    Thanks
    Level completed: 0%,
    Points required for next Level: 0
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0

I like the list, most of the same things that I noticed have already been pointed out.
    I also agree with the cougar fans, I like those myself and use them on multiple builds of mine including my main work station.

I also use them on my 9x120mm watercool rad for my test bench. With all 9 fans running at full speed its still pretty quiet being in a open space.
    I also use them on the test bench to push air onto the motherboard.

My test bench set up.
    DarkMatter Upgrade (Transfusion!)-img_9409.jpg

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links