Arctic
Arctic Feezer 7x

Thread: Advice cooling 2nd GPU

Status

Last Online
    18-12-2017 @ 19:03
    CPU: Intel i7-4770K Haswell OC'd to 4.5Ghz
    M/B: Asus Maximus VI Formula ROG Z87 chipset
    RAM: G.SKILL Trident X DDR3 16GB (2x8GB) 2133 (PC3 17000)
    GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti Superclocked 3GB
    • rolldog's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Little Devil PC-V8
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX1200i ATX/EPS Modular 80 Plus Platinum
      • Cooling:
      • Koolance 380i CPU waterblock EK Asus Maximus VI Formula Nickel+Acetal Liquid Cooling Block Set (replaced the stock aluminum Cross Chill VRMA waterblock & added Z87 chipset waterblock) EK-Multi Option Res X3 X 250 Res w/ 6 total ports EK Ultimate Performance Coolstream 480 XTX Rad EK Ultimate Pe
      • Monitor:
      • 2 - HP 2511x 25" 1920x1080p, HP ZR2740W 27" 2560x1400 IPS, Samsung U28D590D 28" UHD 4K LED
      • Windows 7 X Ultimate
      • Misc:
      • Asus ROG Front Base Dual Bay Gaming Panel Mulifunction Monitoring and Overclocking Display Panel Asus BC-12B1ST Blu-ray burner Corsair Kim RGB Keyboard
    Thanks
    Level completed: 52%,
    Points required for next Level: 48
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 48
    Overall activity: 0%

Default Advice cooling 2nd GPU

I bought my 2nd GPU, since 1 won't handle my current configuration since buying my 4K monitor, but the EVGA part number is slightly different, by 1 number, from my current GPU (currently have an EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti Superclocked 3GB GPU with a full EK waterblock and backplate). The card I just bought has the ATX cooling system on the card, which I'm taking off and throwing in the garbage.

Well, I was about to order an EK waterblock for my 2nd 780 Ti, same place I bought my first one from since I get a discount, but there were some additional parts I'm not familiar with since this is my 1st SLI configuration. They had an EK terminal bridge block. Some of them run in Dual Parallel, Dual Serial, Dual Parallel 3 Slot, and Dual Serial 3 Slot, and I'm not quite sure what I need or what the difference is between the parallel and the serial bridge block. Also, my original card came with an SLI connector, which I know hooks the 2 cards together, but what exactly does the terminal bridge block do, and what's the difference between the parallel and the serial? I just want to maximize my GPU performance. Is one bridge block better than another or is it even a necessity? I'd like to know what the difference is and which one I should buy.

As I mentioned, my original card came with an SLI connector. Are all SLI connectors the same or are there others, which may be better quality and could possibly increase the performance, or stability, besides the one that came with my card? Any input would be greatly appreciated since my card will be here any day, and I haven't ordered my waterblock yet.

Lastly, will the pump I have be enough to handle this add-on to my loop or do I need to upgrade my pump or add a second pump? Right now I'm using a Laing D5 & Swiftech MCP-655 Alphacool VPP Single Edition Pump with an EK D5 X-Top Acetal Pump Top. It's running through a 360 rad, VRM waterblock on the MB, CPU waterblock, Z87 chipset waterblock, 480 rad, 780 Ti (about to be 2), and then back to the res. My flow meter shows plenty of flow rate, but I just want to make sure the 2nd GPU isn't going to be too much.

Status

Last Online
    26-12-2019 @ 11:14
    CPU: Intel Core i7 - 4770K
    M/B: MSI Z87 MPOWER
    RAM: 32 GB DDR3 2400 G.SKILL SNIPER
    GPU: 2X- EVGA GFORCE GTX 960 4GB FTW
    • vinman's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Phanteks Enthoo Lux
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SUPERNOVA P2 PLATNIUM 1200W PSU
      • Cooling:
      • AirPlex 360 rad Airplex Pro 240 slim rad Swiftech MCP 655 Pump XSPC RAYSTORM CPU Water Block Monsoon Premium Modular 2 bay Reservoir
      • Sound:
      • On Board
      • Monitor:
      • 27 inch Predator 144 Hz 1440 gaming
      • Win10 PRO 64bit
      • Misc:
      • Razer Black Widow Ultimate KEYBOARD, Razor Death Adder Elite mouse
    Thanks
    Level completed: 94%,
    Points required for next Level: 118
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 118

Default Re: Advice cooling 2nd GPU

I am not familiar with the cards but Solara can answer that question as he is, but as far as cooling potential
    you're good to go with your current set up and adding the second card will be no problem.

Status

Last Online
    20-10-2017 @ 11:01
    CPU: Intel i7-5820k
    M/B: ASRock X99 WS
    RAM: 32GB Crucial DDR4 2133
    GPU: 2 R9-290s Xfire
    • Cyberburnout's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Urban T81
      • PSU:
      • CM Silent 350w
      • Cooling:
      • Custom H20, Ek blocks for CPU and GPUs
      • Sound:
      • ONBOARD
      • Monitor:
      • Dual 24"
      • WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE X64
      • Misc:
      • White LED lighting
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,166 Times in 663 Posts
    Level completed: 78%,
    Points required for next Level: 227
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 227

Glad you came to us for help. First thing is you will need to use the SLI bridge that came with the GPU regardless of which type of blocks or EK bridge you decide. The Ek bridges have nothing to do with that type SLI function.

Serial Parallel

The images above shows the different in the way the liquid will be routed. The fact that one pic has 3 gpus does not matter. As far as I know there is not a major performance difference between the two. Instead of having tubing like in the picture, the fluid will be routed inside of the EK SLI bridge. I have to admit i like the way the fluid looks in a Parallel bridge.

Which bridge to get will depend on what slot you will be installing the 2nd card in. For that you will need to look at your board specs to see which is the best PCIe slot for sli. Will the next slot down run at 16x 8x or 4x? Does the 3rd slot give you better performance than the 2nd slot? Is your case large enough install in the 3rd PCIe slot? If you end up planning to install in the 2nd PCie slot get a standard Dual bridge in serial or parallel. If you opt to run in the 3rd (most common) PCIe slot then you will need to select the Dual 3 slot bridge in serial or parallel.

I see no reason to upgrade your pump. I think you have enough flow and head to add the 2nd GPU.
    "If you got it, Build it"

A+ Certified. Dell, Lenovo, HP, Lexmarks, Xerox, Panasonic and NEC Certified ASP.

4. The following user thanks Cyberburnout For this above post:

bartelby (06-01-2015)

Core Member

Status

Last Online
    24-08-2018 @ 17:02
    CPU: INTEL i5 4670k
    M/B: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO
    RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 16GB 2133
    GPU: Two GIGABYTE 670. With EXPC waterblocks and back plats.
    • killjoyjim's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Case Labs Magnum TH 10. With custom paint.
      • PSU:
      • AZZA TITAN 1000w
      • Cooling:
      • D5 pump with dress up kit and block. Custom Res with three XSPC 480mm rads. Swifteck CPU block and Two XSPC water blocks on my 670 cards.
      • Sound:
      • ASUS ROG THUNDERBOLT
      • Monitor:
      • 47'' samsung tv
      • windows 7
      • Misc:
      • OCZ 60gb fot OS. And a OCZ 240 ssd.
    Thanks
    Level completed: 58%,
    Points required for next Level: 725
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 725

Quote Originally Posted by rolldog View Post
    I bought my 2nd GPU, since 1 won't handle my current configuration since buying my 4K monitor, but the EVGA part number is slightly different, by 1 number, from my current GPU (currently have an EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti Superclocked 3GB GPU with a full EK waterblock and backplate). The card I just bought has the ATX cooling system on the card, which I'm taking off and throwing in the garbage.

Well, I was about to order an EK waterblock for my 2nd 780 Ti, same place I bought my first one from since I get a discount, but there were some additional parts I'm not familiar with since this is my 1st SLI configuration. They had an EK terminal bridge block. Some of them run in Dual Parallel, Dual Serial, Dual Parallel 3 Slot, and Dual Serial 3 Slot, and I'm not quite sure what I need or what the difference is between the parallel and the serial bridge block. Also, my original card came with an SLI connector, which I know hooks the 2 cards together, but what exactly does the terminal bridge block do, and what's the difference between the parallel and the serial? I just want to maximize my GPU performance. Is one bridge block better than another or is it even a necessity? I'd like to know what the difference is and which one I should buy.

As I mentioned, my original card came with an SLI connector. Are all SLI connectors the same or are there others, which may be better quality and could possibly increase the performance, or stability, besides the one that came with my card? Any input would be greatly appreciated since my card will be here any day, and I haven't ordered my waterblock yet.

Lastly, will the pump I have be enough to handle this add-on to my loop or do I need to upgrade my pump or add a second pump? Right now I'm using a Laing D5 & Swiftech MCP-655 Alphacool VPP Single Edition Pump with an EK D5 X-Top Acetal Pump Top. It's running through a 360 rad, VRM waterblock on the MB, CPU waterblock, Z87 chipset waterblock, 480 rad, 780 Ti (about to be 2), and then back to the res. My flow meter shows plenty of flow rate, but I just want to make sure the 2nd GPU isn't going to be too much.
    WELCOME TO PUREOC..

Status

Last Online
    18-12-2017 @ 19:03
    CPU: Intel i7-4770K Haswell OC'd to 4.5Ghz
    M/B: Asus Maximus VI Formula ROG Z87 chipset
    RAM: G.SKILL Trident X DDR3 16GB (2x8GB) 2133 (PC3 17000)
    GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti Superclocked 3GB
    • rolldog's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Little Devil PC-V8
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX1200i ATX/EPS Modular 80 Plus Platinum
      • Cooling:
      • Koolance 380i CPU waterblock EK Asus Maximus VI Formula Nickel+Acetal Liquid Cooling Block Set (replaced the stock aluminum Cross Chill VRMA waterblock & added Z87 chipset waterblock) EK-Multi Option Res X3 X 250 Res w/ 6 total ports EK Ultimate Performance Coolstream 480 XTX Rad EK Ultimate Pe
      • Monitor:
      • 2 - HP 2511x 25" 1920x1080p, HP ZR2740W 27" 2560x1400 IPS, Samsung U28D590D 28" UHD 4K LED
      • Windows 7 X Ultimate
      • Misc:
      • Asus ROG Front Base Dual Bay Gaming Panel Mulifunction Monitoring and Overclocking Display Panel Asus BC-12B1ST Blu-ray burner Corsair Kim RGB Keyboard
    Thanks
    Level completed: 52%,
    Points required for next Level: 48
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 48

Awesome, thanks for the info. Yes, my case is large enough. I have a Little Devil PC-V8 and my MB is an Asus Maximus VI Formula ROG MB, which apparently can run quad SLI. The card I have now is in a 16x slot, but I need to take another look at the MB and see which slot I should put the 2nd card in. My new card came in yesterday, but it sucks because I don't have my waterblock or anything yet so the card is just sitting here. I wonder if I could hook it up SLI without the waterblock on the 2nd card, take it out once the parts come in, add the waterblock, and then put it back in my system. I hate looking at this card and not being able to do anything with it yet.

Status

Last Online
    20-10-2017 @ 11:01
    CPU: Intel i7-5820k
    M/B: ASRock X99 WS
    RAM: 32GB Crucial DDR4 2133
    GPU: 2 R9-290s Xfire
    • Cyberburnout's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Urban T81
      • PSU:
      • CM Silent 350w
      • Cooling:
      • Custom H20, Ek blocks for CPU and GPUs
      • Sound:
      • ONBOARD
      • Monitor:
      • Dual 24"
      • WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE X64
      • Misc:
      • White LED lighting
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,166 Times in 663 Posts
    Level completed: 78%,
    Points required for next Level: 227
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 227

Quote Originally Posted by rolldog View Post
    Awesome, thanks for the info. Yes, my case is large enough. I have a Little Devil PC-V8 and my MB is an Asus Maximus VI Formula ROG MB, which apparently can run quad SLI. The card I have now is in a 16x slot, but I need to take another look at the MB and see which slot I should put the 2nd card in. My new card came in yesterday, but it sucks because I don't have my waterblock or anything yet so the card is just sitting here. I wonder if I could hook it up SLI without the waterblock on the 2nd card, take it out once the parts come in, add the waterblock, and then put it back in my system. I hate looking at this card and not being able to do anything with it yet.
    No problem. Glad it made sense. I like the Little Devil PC-V8 chassis. very nice.

Yes you can install it without having the 2nd block. It will look weird but it isnt for showing off right now anyways. Look forward to seeing some before and after shots too.
    "If you got it, Build it"

A+ Certified. Dell, Lenovo, HP, Lexmarks, Xerox, Panasonic and NEC Certified ASP.

Core Member

Status

Last Online
    24-08-2018 @ 17:02
    CPU: INTEL i5 4670k
    M/B: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO
    RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 16GB 2133
    GPU: Two GIGABYTE 670. With EXPC waterblocks and back plats.
    • killjoyjim's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Case Labs Magnum TH 10. With custom paint.
      • PSU:
      • AZZA TITAN 1000w
      • Cooling:
      • D5 pump with dress up kit and block. Custom Res with three XSPC 480mm rads. Swifteck CPU block and Two XSPC water blocks on my 670 cards.
      • Sound:
      • ASUS ROG THUNDERBOLT
      • Monitor:
      • 47'' samsung tv
      • windows 7
      • Misc:
      • OCZ 60gb fot OS. And a OCZ 240 ssd.
    Thanks
    Level completed: 58%,
    Points required for next Level: 725
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 725

Looking to see youre rig wen done.

Status

Last Online
    26-12-2019 @ 11:14
    CPU: Intel Core i7 - 4770K
    M/B: MSI Z87 MPOWER
    RAM: 32 GB DDR3 2400 G.SKILL SNIPER
    GPU: 2X- EVGA GFORCE GTX 960 4GB FTW
    • vinman's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Phanteks Enthoo Lux
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SUPERNOVA P2 PLATNIUM 1200W PSU
      • Cooling:
      • AirPlex 360 rad Airplex Pro 240 slim rad Swiftech MCP 655 Pump XSPC RAYSTORM CPU Water Block Monsoon Premium Modular 2 bay Reservoir
      • Sound:
      • On Board
      • Monitor:
      • 27 inch Predator 144 Hz 1440 gaming
      • Win10 PRO 64bit
      • Misc:
      • Razer Black Widow Ultimate KEYBOARD, Razor Death Adder Elite mouse
    Thanks
    Level completed: 94%,
    Points required for next Level: 118
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 118

As long as you have enough space between the two cards with the bridge to add your loop you can temporarily run one on air and the other on water

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links