motherboards
Arctic
Arctic Feezer 7x

Thread: FYI: Swiftech storm, waterblocks, and what is truly important in a WC setup....

Status

Last Online
    02-09-2010 @ 12:43
    CPU: Core 2 E6600
    M/B: P5W DH Deluxe
    RAM: OCZ Gold XTC PC2-6400
    GPU: Asus EN8800 GTS
    • MaskofZoro's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Antec nine hundred
      • PSU:
      • OCZ Powerstream 520W
      • Cooling:
      • Thermaltake Bigwater SE
      • Sound:
      • Asus P5W DH Onboard
      • XP SP2
      • Misc:
      • Core2 2.4Ghz@3.71ghz - Volts: 1.526 Memory voltage 2.0, Memory speed 410mhz (820mhz)
    Thanks
    Level completed: 5%,
    Points required for next Level: 383
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 383
    Overall activity: 48.0%

Default FYI: Swiftech storm, waterblocks, and what is truly important in a WC setup....

Alright, I'd just like everyone to know that I have done comparisons now between Swiftech storm waterblock and my cheap Thermaltake bigwater SE waterblock... now I have to tell you, that the difference between a "cheap" waterblock and a "good" one is inconsequential to COOLING THE WATER, and the AMOUNT OF WATER in your resovoir and the flowrate.

The difference between my Swiftech storm and my thermal take cheap-jobby copper waterblock with the same flow rate was NOTHING, it was a mere 5C difference. Note to you guys: You can simply buy any decent waterblock and get a good resovoir/radiator that cools the damn water will do infinitely much more then any "special waterblock", also I was reading Jameson's "lapping" thread where he lapped his core2 duo and gained roughly ~10C, lapping the CPU (for the brave) and cooling your water is paramount if you go with watercooling. Do not bother being over-awed by advertising of the "special blocks"

I was surprise that the swiftech storm was DESIGNED SO BADLY, without it's rubber rings the thing leaked, my cheap thermaltake block was much better designed them the plastic Swiftech storm. Next the swiftech storm being made of plastic is fragile as hell, I already ripped one of my barbs, and right now part of the barb (the screw half) is stuck inside the storm. Which of couse I will be posting soon for advice on how to get it out! lol. I know I can get it out, I just need some help figuring out what to use. I have extra barbs (so no worries).

Status

Last Online
    18-04-2014 @ 19:26
    CPU: Core 2 E2180 @ 3.2 Ghz
    M/B: MSI P965
    RAM: 2x1 GB OCZ Platinum
    GPU: X800 GTO
    • Jameson's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • on desk :)
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic M12 700W
      • Cooling:
      • Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
      • Monitor:
      • Dell 2407 WFP
      • Windows XP SP2
      • Misc:
      • oh my god what happened to my uber rig?
    Thanks

you call a 5c decrease "nothing?

Firstly, you haven't even mentioned which pump and rad you used or the final temps between the two, and no screenshots. Was it the rad and pump from the Thermaltake Bigwater SE?

Secondly 5c is not nothing, it's 5c - all you did was change the block and you gained 5c on the rad and pump of the Thermaltake BigWater SE, i assume, which is a cheap kit that isn't exactly a match for the Storm. A crude example but, do you buy a 2000 CD player and hook it up a 200 mini system and then act suprised when it doesnt sound as good as you thought it would?

To be honest, those results are good enough to validate the storm and other performance blocks as worthwhile - 5c is a lot in this game, ask anyone.

Status

Last Online
      • Case:
      • Antec nine hundred
      • PSU:
      • OCZ Powerstream 520W
      • Cooling:
      • Sound:
      • Asus P5W DH Onboard
      • XP SP2
      • Misc:
      • Core2 2.4Ghz@3.71ghz - Volts: 1.526 Memory voltage 2.0, Memory speed 410mhz (820mhz)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jameson View Post
    you call a 5c decrease "nothing?

Firstly, you haven't even mentioned which pump and rad you used or the final temps between the two, and no screenshots. Was it the rad and pump from the Thermaltake Bigwater SE?

Secondly 5c is not nothing, it's 5c - all you did was change the block and you gained 5c on the rad and pump of the Thermaltake BigWater SE, i assume, which is a cheap kit that isn't exactly a match for the Storm. A crude example but, do you buy a 2000 CD player and hook it up a 200 mini system and then act suprised when it doesnt sound as good as you thought it would?

To be honest, those results are good enough to validate the storm and other performance blocks as worthwhile - 5c is a lot in this game, ask anyone.
    Careful not to go insane now, what does 5C truly buy you in terms of maximum overclock? Hardly anything at all, especially when air after market air coolers are so good now. Like I said: 5C is nothing if you have a good rad or water chiller. Chilled water >> any 5C difference in waterblocks.

Sorry for no benchies, I will do more thorough testing once I fix my storm.
    Last edited by MaskofZoro; 12-03-2007 at 23:17.

Status

Last Online
    • Jameson's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic M12 700W
      • Cooling:
      • Monitor:
      • Dell 2407 WFP
      • Windows XP SP2
      • Misc:
    Thanks

you didn't mention chilled water, but still, i disagree.

But going back to ambient temps, if you get the pump and rad right so that you are getting the absolute most from what watercooling can offer, you simply will not be able to improve your temps no matter how many fans so the only thing left to do is make sure your block is not holding you back, these blocks in the right loop make perfect sense.

5c can make all the difference, but of course it's not going to give you a bump from 3.5 GHz to 3.8 GHz, but it can make the difference, and as the new top blocks on the market are pretty well priced (the storm has always been expensive) there isn't a great reason to save 10 for an inferior block.

The Fuzion and Apogee GT are good value, are absolutely validated as the best blocks out there and will chip off a few degrees to your temps, that's good enough to convince me!

OC Jedi Master

Status

Last Online
    27-02-2014 @ 22:13
    CPU: i7 920, 4.2Ghz HT
    M/B: P6X58D Premium
    RAM: OCZ Flex EX PC3-17000 12GB
    GPU: Asus EAH5870
    • Deton's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Lian Li A70F
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Galaxy Evo 1250W
      • Cooling:
      • Custom H20 setup.
      • Sound:
      • Onboard
      • Monitor:
      • ViewSonic VX2435
      • Win 7 - 64bit
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 1,026 Posts
    Level completed: 36%,
    Points required for next Level: 904
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 904
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Overall activity: 7.0%

MarkofZoro, I think your expectation for WC system are too high than you expected.
    The Storm block do need a good high performance pump (minimum of 300gh) and at least 1/2" tubing to get a full benifit from it's design. I don't think your existing pump are capable to handle the Storm.

A good Rad does help to desipate heat but with a big Rad and high retristed flow do need a good pump.

I'm happy with my Swiftech Apogee block. Yes, I do wish it comes with crome bards instead of PVC. To prevent from any leakage, you do need some kind of rubber seals or you can use teplon tape apply to the threads. I didn't use the teplon tape but no leaks. Without it, it will leaks like a Niagara Falls.

Tips: To tighten these plastic bards, use your hand to tighten it as much you can first, then use a porper tool such as a wrench NOT a plier or vise grip plier or you will damage it. DO NOT over tighten it.
    When you feel it not turning any more then just losen it about 1/8" a turn, this way you are not over tighten it. If you see the bard start twisting, it's mean you are over tighten it.

It very easy to buy a wrong product when you don't have enough information about it and you feel like you just been robbed. The following are the reviews from different testers of the two products.

STORM BLOCK:
    http://www.overclockers.com/articles1261/

A Buget Thermaltake's Bigwater Kit
    http://www.overclockers.com/articles1336/

HFS are improving but if you want quite computing. Liquid cooling is the choice, maybe not for every body.

Status

Last Online
      • Case:
      • Antec nine hundred
      • PSU:
      • OCZ Powerstream 520W
      • Cooling:
      • Sound:
      • Asus P5W DH Onboard
      • XP SP2
      • Misc:
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deton View Post
    MarkofZoro, I think your expectation for WC system are too high than you expected.
    The Storm block do need a good high performance pump (minimum of 300gh) and at least 1/2" tubing to get a full benifit from it's design. I don't think your existing pump are capable to handle the Storm.

A good Rad does help to desipate heat but with a big Rad and high retristed flow do need a good pump.

I'm happy with my Swiftech Apogee block. Yes, I do wish it comes with crome bards instead of PVC. To prevent from any leakage, you do need some kind of rubber seals or you can use teplon tape apply to the threads. I didn't use the teplon tape but no leaks. Without it, it will leaks like a Niagara Falls.

Tips: To tighten these plastic bards, use your hand to tighten it as much you can first, then use a porper tool such as a wrench NOT a plier or vise grip plier or you will damage it. DO NOT over tighten it.
    When you feel it not turning any more then just losen it about 1/8" a turn, this way you are not over tighten it. If you see the bard start twisting, it's mean you are over tighten it.

It very easy to buy a wrong product when you don't have enough information about it and you feel like you just been robbed. The following are the reviews from different testers of the two products.

STORM BLOCK:
    http://www.overclockers.com/articles1261/

A Buget Thermaltake's Bigwater Kit
    http://www.overclockers.com/articles1336/

HFS are improving but if you want quite computing. Liquid cooling is the choice, maybe not for every body.
    Note you are not comparing what I have, I have the bigwater SE, BIG DIFFERENCE

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...re=THERMALTAKE

The waterblock is totally different and the cooling is very comparable to the storm (if not better in some ways), and thats on 3/8" tubing and the crappy thermaltake pump! I will do some more reseating and testing, but right now I have my storm fixed... I'm using 1/2" tubing, MCP355 pump and a HWLabs BlackIce Rad.... should be better then my old thermaltake but right now its not lookin like it, I have to do some more fiddling before I come to a conclusion. If I get the time I will record everything via webcam and upload it to youtube so you can see that I'm not making **** up heh.

Status

Last Online
    • Jameson's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic M12 700W
      • Cooling:
      • Monitor:
      • Dell 2407 WFP
      • Windows XP SP2
      • Misc:
    Thanks

I've thought about this and there are way too many inconsistancies in this thread to let it continue. Next time you start a thread like this, don't give opinions well away from what 300 reviews say differently and then offer no proof at all... not even temp readings. This is a most unhelpful thread to anyone, its useless, it's closed.

If you want to carry on any of this with your new loop vs the Thermaltake SE, provide proof and don't present your own personal findings without being extremely thorough.

I'm not going to tolerate threads that are this aggressively opinionated but then do not provide a shred of evidence to back up the claims, whether they are correct or not is inconsequential to why this thread is closed.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links