motherboards
Arctic
Arctic Feezer 7x
Page 14 of 56 FirstFirst ... 4 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 24 ... LastLast

Thread: The Maximus Formula Club

Status

Last Online
    01-04-2008 @ 23:47
    CPU: C2D E6550 @ 3.2GHz
    M/B: Asus Maximus Extreme
    RAM: 2x1GB OCZ Platinum DDR3 7-7-7-20 1099MHz
    GPU: ATi Radeon HD 3870x2 1GB
    • P3RH4PS's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Antec Nine Hundred
      • PSU:
      • PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750W Quad (Crossfire Edition)
      • Cooling:
      • AC Freezer 7
      • Sound:
      • SUPREME FX II
      • Vista Business
    Thanks
    Level completed: 34%,
    Points required for next Level: 198
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 198
    Overall activity: 34.0%

Quote Originally Posted by Deton View Post
    Your rig. Is it a brand new built with HD3870x2 card or you just upgraded from Nvidia's card?

If it were upgraded, you should remove all the Nvidia drivers/utility software completely or sometime you have to do a fresh install Windows. Any trace of Nvidia drivers could cause a problem, that's what I heard.

That's a bummer for $500 grfx card and still not working perfectly.
    Yeah a bummer all right. This is a whole new machine... no nVidia drivers.

I'm trying out an MSI version of the Cat 8.2 drivers and they seem to work better, but none as good as the beta ones.

I came across this tip from the other forums, I though I'd share it with you.

"Was messing around with Crysis today and discovered that under Vista 64bit, if you go into the Crysis bin32 directory and run the game from there instead of the games panel it runs a heck of alot better on 3870x2! No more fps drops in the teens, lowest FPS go is 25 average 45fps and up to 60fps on some maps LOL This is running 1920x1200 object and texture detail Very High, Shaders high, water high, motion blur high and everything else medium except SQ very high.

So it appears Crysis 64bit has issues, 32bit DX10 runs freaking great on 3870x2!

Just a tip for anyone else having slowdowns in Crysis on Vista 64!"

I'm not on Vista 64 unfortunately so I'm already running from the bin32. I'm having a hard time telling whether Crysis is not liking my graphics card or my graphics card isn't liking Crysis at this point. Thanks for the help! I'm seriously considering teh RMA, but I'm gonna be double sure before I resort to that.

OC Jedi Master

Status

Last Online
    27-02-2014 @ 22:13
    CPU: i7 920, 4.2Ghz HT
    M/B: P6X58D Premium
    RAM: OCZ Flex EX PC3-17000 12GB
    GPU: Asus EAH5870
    • Deton's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Lian Li A70F
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Galaxy Evo 1250W
      • Cooling:
      • Custom H20 setup.
      • Sound:
      • Onboard
      • Monitor:
      • ViewSonic VX2435
      • Win 7 - 64bit
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 1,026 Posts
    Level completed: 36%,
    Points required for next Level: 904
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 904
    Overall activity: 7.0%

@ P3RH4PS,
    this might be a stupid question but are you using 6 & 8 pins power connection together?
    I heard some reports that if you don't use those 2 connectors it may cause some issues. I know your PSU can handle this card.

Status

Last Online
    10-05-2008 @ 10:55
    Thanks
    Level completed: 66%,
    Points required for next Level: 104
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 104
    Overall activity: 20.0%

Hi all,

I am sure you have not heard this much, but yes, I am a total NOOB !
    I am not sure if this is the correct forum, but bare with me as it has to do with memory settings as much as the problem I will describe (I think)

Looking for some help with a problem. Put together my Maximus Formula about 2 weeks ago.

Q6600
    BFG 8800 GTXOC 768 mb.
    Crucial Ballistix (2)x1GB DDR2 1066 memory
    BFG 1000 Watt power supply
    Antec 900 Case
    Zallman 9700 LED cooler.
    XP, SP2
    WD Raptor X 150 GB drive, Seagate 7200.11 500GB drive, WD Cavaiar 16 500GB drive

Set everything up about 2 weeks ago, went with auto settings pretty much. Everything running fine, till early Sunday morning when something crashed. (AVG runs complete scan each night at around 3 A.M.)

Turned monitor on and found machine had shut down at some point.
    Powered up, began to boot into Windows when machine would reboot. It did this several times, but would not go past this point. I thought memory might be bad, so I swapped out with 1GB 667 stick. Still the same problem. I swapped out video card next, same problem still. Decided to swap out a drive (removed all others) and hooked up a WD 500, then loaded it with windows. This worked fine, installed all updates, no problems. (Gives you an idea of time frame it was running.) Then, was getting ready to install AVG when I got a popup in task bar that said System32 was corrupt. Shut down and restarted, only to get an overtemp warning on aux sensor 3. Strange, there is nothing hooked up to that, or other sensors. Tried again, and same issue. Stuck Hirams boot cd in drive, and was able to boot to that. Went into bios on boot, and disabled the aux sensors, even though they were not showing anything. Tried memtest, and got some errors with both sticks installed. So I shut down and removed 1, then swapped for the other but still would not go into Windows, would do the same restart problem. So I started testing memory 1 at a time, and after 70 minutes of Memtest86, no errors on memory stick I was testing. Rebooted, and low and behold it started up fine. This was Sunday evening late, and it has been on since then, no problems. Have installed several programs, run AVG several times, everything good so far. I decided to try the raptor drive again today, still the same problem. I decided to run memtest again on the other stick that was not installed. Tested good for 7 times, about 2 hours worth, then started failing. I did some reading on the memory on Newegg, and it talks about setting voltage and timing. I tried setting the voltage at 2.1, and the FSB Strap to NB at 400 mhz to get 5-5-5-15 settings like people were advising. When I ran memtest with these settings, the memory failed almost immediately.

So where do I go from here ? I am not sure if I just have 1 bad stick of memory that dorked up the windows install on the raptor, or something else. Since I had the same problem happening on the WD 500 drive, then go away this does not make sense. But then again, nothing much does at this point.

Can I run this memory using the auto setting ? I have heard that it defaults to 800mhz, and 1.8 volt, and I was wondering if the voltage is too low and causing issues.

Any feedback on how i should be configuring this would be greatly appreciated and thanks for reading all of this if you have reached this point !

Status

Last Online
    • P3RH4PS's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Antec Nine Hundred
      • PSU:
      • Cooling:
      • AC Freezer 7
      • Sound:
      • SUPREME FX II
      • Vista Business
    Thanks

@ P3RH4PS,
    this might be a stupid question but are you using 6 & 8 pins power connection together?
    I heard some reports that if you don't use those 2 connectors it may cause some issues. I know your PSU can handle this card.
    Hehe yeah I got that covered.

Here's an update:

I've started using the Crysis benchmarking mod because it tests the limits of my hardware well with reports. I've tested three diff settings looping the demo 2 times on each of the three driver versions I have for the card (One recomended by MSI customer service, one is the latest official from ATi, and the other is a beta that is supposedly newer than the latest from ATi but has an older number and build date.)

Anyway, they are all almost equally unstable, but the beta driver gives me almost a 30% increase in FPS when it does happen to work.

The card will freeze and/or crash regularly while just beginning the benchmarking test (right as the screen is flickering to change from 2D to 3D I think) and it will also crash occasionally during a very high setting test and EVERY time I run a test with AA enabled (even just 2x).

Obviously something is very wrong and I'm pretty sure it doesn't have so much to do with the drivers since the crashes and whatnot happen with all drivers.

So I busted out my only other PCI express graphics card the Radeon X300!!! Out of my wife's retired form factor Dell and I'm running similar testing on that to see if the problem is related to the board or the express slot. So far nothing has happened besides getting a whopping 299 3Dmark06 score (of course I did submit it). I'll keep you posted!

OC Jedi Master

Status

Last Online
    • Deton's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Lian Li A70F
      • PSU:
      • Cooling:
      • Custom H20 setup.
      • Sound:
      • Onboard
      • Monitor:
      • ViewSonic VX2435
      • Win 7 - 64bit
    Thanks

@ Xtreme Graphics,
    Welcome, this is just a shot in the dark. This board has some issues with memory compability with the early BIOS. Have you update to the latest BIOS?
    Try not to install AVG to see what happen? You might have to buy new mem, who's know?
    Have you ever try to reset the CMOS or move the battery?...just a thought. I think memory is the culprit here because this boar is very rock solid. If you have tried everything and have no luck I guess the last resource is RMA the board.

Status

Last Online
    Thanks

Denton,

Thanks much for the reply. Yes, I forgot to mention that I upgraded to the latest bios. I ran the "good" stick of memory on memtest for 8 hours, went thru 25 complete tests with no errors so I think that one memory stick may b e the culprit. I have not reset the cmos or moved the battery.

Can you advise me by any chance on the voltage question for this memory. Can I run it on the auto setting ? (Adding note here. After running for 8 hours + on auto setting, I went in the Extreme Tweaker menu and changed the memory to 1066 mhz, nothing else as that is all the boards manual tells you to change. Restarted memtest and it passed 1 complete test, but failed on the second.)

Any suggestions for a different type of memory ? I think the QMV suggests Corsair. I am looking for the machine to run rock solid, do not plan on overclocking the memory at all, I may overclock the cpu using the level up in the future but most importantly right now is that I have a rock solid unit to work on.

This is what memetest is reporting with the settings on auto.

Chipset: Intel X38/X48 (ECCisabled) -FSB:267 mhz-Type DDR2
    Ram:267 mhz(DDR534)/Cas 5-1-1-63 / Dual Channel
    Last edited by Xtreme Graphics; 20-02-2008 at 10:19.

OC Jedi Master

Status

Last Online
    • Deton's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Lian Li A70F
      • PSU:
      • Cooling:
      • Custom H20 setup.
      • Sound:
      • Onboard
      • Monitor:
      • ViewSonic VX2435
      • Win 7 - 64bit
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Xtreme Graphics View Post
    Denton,

Can you advise me by any chance on the voltage question for this memory. Can I run it on the auto setting ? (Adding note here. After running for 8 hours + on auto setting, I went in the Extreme Tweaker menu and changed the memory to 1066 mhz, nothing else as that is all the boards manual tells you to change. Restarted memtest and it passed 1 complete test, but failed on the second.)
    Check Cucrial's website for your mem Voltage,my best guess for Drr2 is around 1.8v-2.0v. You can use AUTO if you are not overclocking.
    Read through this thread from Page 1 and on. There are some posts relating about memory issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Xtreme Graphics View Post
    Any suggestions for a different type of memory ? I think the QMV suggests Corsair. I am looking for the machine to run rock solid, do not plan on overclocking the memory at all, I may overclock the cpu using the level up in the future but most importantly right now is that I have a rock solid unit to work on.

This is what memetest is reporting with the settings on auto.

Chipset: Intel X38/X48 (ECCisabled) -FSB:267 mhz-Type DDR2
    Ram:267 mhz(DDR534)/Cas 5-1-1-63 / Dual Channel
    Just name a few; Corsair, OCZ, Muskin.... are reliable Ram.
    Reminder: 32bit OS only recognize up to 3G of mem, 2G is good enough but 64bit OS you need at least 4G to make it runs smoothly. If you go for 4G kit, you should try to get 2x2g sticks, leave room for future upgrade.

Status

Last Online
    Thanks

Yeah, Crucials site says 2.2 volts. I can not get it to run at that, even with allowing the .4 mentioned in one of the posts. I did read the entire 14 pages of posts before asking, and did see some great info, but was still a little confused. Newegg agreed to give me a rma for refund with no restocking charge on the memory, and sent me a shipping label as well.
    I guess I will try what Asus lists unless other people chime in with known success stories.

OC Jedi Master

Status

Last Online
    • Deton's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Lian Li A70F
      • PSU:
      • Cooling:
      • Custom H20 setup.
      • Sound:
      • Onboard
      • Monitor:
      • ViewSonic VX2435
      • Win 7 - 64bit
    Thanks

I guess the best solution is to wait for the new mem, hopefully the problem go way. No over Maximus owners on this forum reporting about the ram issues yet, knock on wood.

Status

Last Online
    20-08-2008 @ 14:22
    CPU: Q6600 G0 - 3.6GHZ
    M/B: Maximus Formula SE
    RAM: Crucial Ballistix DDR2-1066
    GPU: Diamond Radeon HD 3870
    Thanks
    Level completed: 72%,
    Points required for next Level: 87
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 87

Xtreme- Take a look at your RAM to see if you got a set of the new Ballistix revision. The new stuff is single sided, and should have a serial number ending in 8FE5. I tried a set (2x1gb) and I couldnt get it to run at advertised specs no matter what, overvolt, undervolt, stock volt, nothing... RMA'd it twice.

Now.. the old set.. which I got in november... double sided, nicer heatspreaders, that stuff runs anything I throw at it. Seems that Crucial severely downgraded and hoped no one would notice.

Well thats my first post! I'm running the beloved Maximus, with a Q6600 @ 3.4ghz, all aircooled. Vcore is 1.4 for now, trying to lower it, but my temps seem fine (PC Probe lists 44C, Core Temp says all cores around 55, max 57C)

What is an acceptable NB temp for aircooled? NBv reads 1.52 right now, trying to lower that as well. NB temp is 52C which seems a little high but everything is 12hrs stable.

Status

Last Online
    Thanks

That is exactly what I have. Single sided, serial ends in 8FE5.

Thought it was good looking ram, but the orange must mean it turns into a pumpkin if used.

Thanks for the feedback, and welcome to the forum.

OC Jedi Master

Status

Last Online
    • Deton's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Lian Li A70F
      • PSU:
      • Cooling:
      • Custom H20 setup.
      • Sound:
      • Onboard
      • Monitor:
      • ViewSonic VX2435
      • Win 7 - 64bit
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 5P4RK4 View Post
    Xtreme- Take a look at your RAM to see if you got a set of the new Ballistix revision. The new stuff is single sided, and should have a serial number ending in 8FE5. I tried a set (2x1gb) and I couldnt get it to run at advertised specs no matter what, overvolt, undervolt, stock volt, nothing... RMA'd it twice.

Now.. the old set.. which I got in november... double sided, nicer heatspreaders, that stuff runs anything I throw at it. Seems that Crucial severely downgraded and hoped no one would notice.

Well thats my first post! I'm running the beloved Maximus, with a Q6600 @ 3.4ghz, all aircooled. Vcore is 1.4 for now, trying to lower it, but my temps seem fine (PC Probe lists 44C, Core Temp says all cores around 55, max 57C)

What is an acceptable NB temp for aircooled? NBv reads 1.52 right now, trying to lower that as well. NB temp is 52C which seems a little high but everything is 12hrs stable.
    Welcome!
    Fist post but a usefull one
    try to keep the voltage at the lowest and stable as possible. NB 1.52v @ 3.4ghz is kinda high, go lower. If you can keep it lower then the NB temp will drop down to around 45-47c load

Status

Last Online
    Thanks

Yep lower is better!

Got the core running at 41C now (57, 57, 55, 55) and the NB now running at 48C under load, switched the NBv back to auto, now reading 1.49. OC'd my ram too, which is fun. DDR2 1130 at stock volt. Seems better, I may try bringing the NBv and the DRAM down some more, but so far 3 hours stable hopefully this continues!

Status

Last Online
    Thanks

I managed to get the NBv down to 1.39. Everything is cooler and better now... but...

I have come across a very strange problem. I get a "no keyboard detected" error on boot now. It just started out of the blue. I'm using a PS/2 keyboard, which works just fine once windows starts, so I think i can rule out the keyboard and the port as problems. BUT, I can't get into my BIOS!!!! anyone else have this problem? My rig seems to be stable so there isn't really a need to change anything but it is worrysome!

I am considering clearing the CMOS to see if that fixes things.. but I am worried because I am running a RAID setup, and if the keyboard still does not work after clearing the CMOS, I wont be able to boot. My worry is that once cleared, without keyboard in POST I wont be able to re-install windows. Scary stuff!! any suggestions?!

edit- I am starting to think it is definitely the bios. The ROG boot logo is being weird, looks different every time. Still going to find as much info about this as I can before I try to clear it though, bricking this mobo over a keyboard error would be teh lamesauce.
    Last edited by 5P4RK4; 22-02-2008 at 20:48.

Status

Last Online
    • P3RH4PS's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Antec Nine Hundred
      • PSU:
      • Cooling:
      • AC Freezer 7
      • Sound:
      • SUPREME FX II
      • Vista Business
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 5P4RK4 View Post
    I managed to get the NBv down to 1.39. Everything is cooler and better now... but...

I have come across a very strange problem. I get a "no keyboard detected" error on boot now. It just started out of the blue. I'm using a PS/2 keyboard, which works just fine once windows starts, so I think i can rule out the keyboard and the port as problems. BUT, I can't get into my BIOS!!!! anyone else have this problem? My rig seems to be stable so there isn't really a need to change anything but it is worrysome!

I am considering clearing the CMOS to see if that fixes things.. but I am worried because I am running a RAID setup, and if the keyboard still does not work after clearing the CMOS, I wont be able to boot. My worry is that once cleared, without keyboard in POST I wont be able to re-install windows. Scary stuff!! any suggestions?!
    Wow... that's pretty weird. It's pretty common to have that prob with USB keyboards, but with PS2? I can't really help you much there aside from saying that I also use a PS2 keyboard and haven't had similar problems (I have lowered those voltages also). Did this problem occur as a direct result of changing those voltages or what? Have you tried a USB keyboard (or have one to try?)?

Status

Last Online
    Thanks

No it was long after I changed those voltages. I got it all stable, after a long OCCT test,

Then i was trying to lower the Vcore some more, I can't remember if it started after a crash or a normal restart, but it just sort of happened! Had nothing to do with the NBv. I have a USB keyboard, which doesnt get recognized until windows, but since i can't get into the bios I can't turn that on either.

The PS/2 works, just not until windows. very strange. I'm on the computer right now, everything is fine except for that!

Page 14 of 56 FirstFirst ... 4 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 24 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links