GPU: Duel ATI HD 3870
    Thanks
    Level completed: 57%,
    Points required for next Level: 129
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 129
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Overall activity: 20.0%

Default Help with unwanted overclocking

I built my new computer and my cpu has been overheating like mad. At first i couldnt install windows with out it turning off. So i downloaded and bios update that fixed cpu temp algorithms. It ran fine till i started gaming. As soon as i start up a game it will turn off in about 5 minutes. The games it turns off on that ive played are Cyris, Bioshock, Blacksite Area 51, and World in Conflict. All on max high graphics. The cpu temp when reset in bios is 84-86C idle at windows is 62C.

Now i dont think i would be having this problem if my CPU wasnt overclocked. Default settings on my Maximus Extreme motherboard overclock my cpu on me. I have the Intel Quad 6600 cpu clock is supposed to be 2.4 but its running at 2.71, with increased bus speed. If i go into my BIOS its all auto clock settings. So if i use the AI clocker in the BIOS and overclocked it to the first setting 6700 i think, and it actualy declocked the CPU. If i go to the next setting the 6800 then it overclocks to 2.91.

I cant seem to get my CPU to run at the right clock frequency. Please help me out on this.

System Specs:
    Asus Maximus Extreme
    Intel Quad 6600
    2 gigs DDR3 1800
    duel radeon HD 3870
    stock cpu cooling

EDIT: I just updated my bios again, didnt help. So i messed around with the overclocking and i managed to declock it to 2.34 but then all the other components where messed up, especially the ram. I downloaded the Intel CPU identifier tool. And at auto clock settings it says im running at 2.71 with 1800 fsb. I think the problem is that my FSB is clocking itself automaticly to the speed of my RAM, so it can fully utilize the ram but in the process its overclocking my CPU.

How do i Fix this?
    Last edited by knowonecanknow; 17-02-2008 at 09:40.

Status

Last Online
    24-04-2008 @ 05:16
    CPU: Q6600 @ 2.4 ghz (need to oc to 3.6)
    M/B: P5K Premium Black Pearl
    RAM: Corsair DDR2 800 XMS2
    GPU: XFX 8800 GTS 512 XXX
    Thanks
    Level completed: 2%,
    Points required for next Level: 394
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 394
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Overall activity: 34.0%

Quote Originally Posted by knowonecanknow View Post
    I built my new computer and my cpu has been overheating like mad. At first i couldnt install windows with out it turning off. So i downloaded and bios update that fixed cpu temp algorithms. It ran fine till i started gaming. As soon as i start up a game it will turn off in about 5 minutes. The games it turns off on that ive played are Cyris, Bioshock, Blacksite Area 51, and World in Conflict. All on max high graphics. The cpu temp when reset in bios is 84-86C idle at windows is 62C.

Now i dont think i would be having this problem if my CPU wasnt overclocked. Default settings on my Maximus Extreme motherboard overclock my cpu on me. I have the Intel Quad 6600 cpu clock is supposed to be 2.4 but its running at 2.71, with increased bus speed. If i go into my BIOS its all auto clock settings. So if i use the AI clocker in the BIOS and overclocked it to the first setting 6700 i think, and it actualy declocked the CPU. If i go to the next setting the 6800 then it overclocks to 2.91.

I cant seem to get my CPU to run at the right clock frequency. Please help me out on this.

System Specs:
    Asus Maximus Extreme
    Intel Quad 6600
    2 gigs DDR3 1800
    duel radeon HD 3870
    stock cpu cooling

EDIT: I just updated my bios again, didnt help. So i messed around with the overclocking and i managed to declock it to 2.34 but then all the other components where messed up, especially the ram. I downloaded the Intel CPU identifier tool. And at auto clock settings it says im running at 2.71 with 1800 fsb. I think the problem is that my FSB is clocking itself automaticly to the speed of my RAM, so it can fully utilize the ram but in the process its overclocking my CPU.

How do i Fix this?
    Take out the cmos battery and reset the jumpers, however if you the maximus board it should have switch which will let you reset the bios automatically, this will restore your bios to its original settings

download core temp program it will give you the individual core temps for each core they should be between 38-40c at idle atleast thats what they are on mine and i use a q6600 aswell

Oh and change ur cpu cooling from stock cooling !!!!!

Thats why your cpu's are overheating the overclocking would be fine if you installed a proper cpu cooler like mine the Asus Knight II cooler or a scythe ninja or Tuniq T

nice rig by the way

hope this helps let me know
    Last edited by salmonsteve; 19-02-2008 at 05:54.
    :cool: cali es cali :cool:

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links