• Windows 8.1 Pro
    Thanks
    Level completed: 27%,
    Points required for next Level: 73
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 73
    Overall activity: 22.0%

Default Overclocking a AMD-9590?

So I'm trying to get my 9590 to 5ghz stable this is my first time overclocking I've watched a few videos, followed the one Jay posted with the 8350 I think, but no success. I get a blue screen or overclocked failed. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    My specs are,
    CPU AMD FX-9590
    MBO Asus ROG Formula Z Crosshair V
    RAM AMD Gaming Series 16gb 2400mhz
    GPU Asus GTX760 Striker
    HD AMD R9 120gb SSD
    HD WD Black 1tb
    Cooler Swiftech H240-X
    Thermaltake tough power 750W 80+ Gold

Status

Last Online
    20-10-2017 @ 11:01
    CPU: Intel i7-5820k
    M/B: ASRock X99 WS
    RAM: 32GB Crucial DDR4 2133
    GPU: 2 R9-290s Xfire
    • Cyberburnout's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Urban T81
      • PSU:
      • CM Silent 350w
      • Cooling:
      • Custom H20, Ek blocks for CPU and GPUs
      • Sound:
      • ONBOARD
      • Monitor:
      • Dual 24"
      • WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE X64
      • Misc:
      • White LED lighting
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,166 Times in 663 Posts
    Level completed: 78%,
    Points required for next Level: 227
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 227
    Overall activity: 0%

Default Re: Overclocking a AMD-9590?

Welcome to PureOC.
    The 9590 is basically a factory overclocked 8350. It is able to run at 5GHz turbo because it sucks up a lot of power. When you want to core clock to be at 5ghz steadily you need to lock all cores(Fixed) turn off all power saving features,...... oh wait never-mind. I Just remembered this was already posted here and on OCN. Everyone with a 9590 has not had success at running at 5Ghz daily. You are running the best AIO/Semi custom solution you can pick up off the shelf so cooling should not be an issue unless your GPU has been integrated into the loop. You should also check your peak power draw. 220w to cpu & Up to 300w from GPU. That is leaving 230w for the rest of the system. High estimate but something you should check.
    "

• Intstall a small fan, blowing on the VRM heatsink.
    • Set the chip to 4.5ghz
    • turn off turbo core
    • turn off any proprietary performance enhancement features. (any auto-overclocking or turbo-core enhancing features on the board)
    • turn off all power saving features (like C states and cool/quiet, this is only temporary, you will probably be able to re-enable these after finding a stable overclock, but tracking down your best LLC settings for your overclock will require that you disable these temporarily)
    • Set voltage to 1.45V
    • Switch CPU Load-Line Calibration from Auto to "whatever else is available"
    • I do not know what options you will have for LLC (it may be a variable range like a number, or a bunch of different "presets" like "normal" and "medium" "low" "extreme" etc. I do not know.)
    • Set LLC to a custom setting.
    • Boot and run a CPU stress test.
    • Using hardware monitoring software, observe the CPU voltage as you transition from idle load to full load with the CPU stress testing.
    • If the voltage rises above 1.45V during the stress test, reboot and reduce the aggressiveness of the LLC setting.
    • If the voltage dips below 1.45V during the stress test, reboot and increase the aggressiveness of the LLC setting.
    • Rinse and repeat this process of checking the voltage stability under a load vs idle voltage until you have the tightest possible variation from idle to loaded voltage. There will almost always be some voltage variation from idle to load, so aim for a setting that sags slightly when loaded, rather than rises slightly.
    • Check BIOS for the default CPU VID. It should report this next to the CPU voltage control.
    • Manually set the CPU voltage below the VID. (for example, if the VID is 1.45V, you should set it to 1.425V or less and start your testing there)
    • Check for boot stability.
    • Reduce CPU voltage manually a couple steps at a time and keep checking for boot stability. When boot stability fails, bump the voltage back up a "notch." Long term testing is not required here. You're looking for a "reasonably stable" under-volted setting. Do some quick stress tests along the way on successful boots to check the voltage variation from idle to load.
    • Through the process of lowering the voltage, you may find that you have to reduce the aggressiveness of your LLC setting in order to maintain good tolerances from loaded to unloaded conditions.
    • When you have found the "minimum" stable operating voltage (actual reported voltage under a load), you can now form a road-map upon which to overclock from.
    • Every 100mhz increase will require roughly a 0.025V increase in voltage from this "reference" point you have discovered.
    • Assuming your "reference" point, is 4.5ghz@~1.325V (probably will be close to this), then you should be able to run 5.0ghz@1.45V.
    • Remember, 1.45V (assuming this is the voltage you wind up needing to run 5ghz), has nothing to do with the selected voltage setting (though it should hopefully be close). You're looking for a combination of manual voltage setting, and LLC setting, that results in 1.45V both at idle and under a load (as close to it as possible). This may mean using a voltage setting of 1.475V and a particular LLC setting that lands 1.447V under a load (this would be close enough). Or perhaps, a 1.4875V setting with an LLC setting that results in 1.451V under a load. Does that make sense? The reason for all the fussing around before to find that "ideal" LLC setting for 4.5ghz@1.45V, was to set up a starting point to make adjustments from to the LLC setting, so you would know which way to go as you create changes to the load.
    • After setting the new "overclocked" setting, it is now time to test for thermal dissipation problems. (If you have done everything correctly up to this point, then the only stability issues remaining would theoretically be from thermals, not from voltage vs clocks) If the chip runs with plenty of thermal headroom under a load at this setting, then it may be worth exploring an even higher overclock. (just increase the multiplier and voltage increment by increment till you run out of thermal headroom).
    • After discovering the maximum "reasonable" overclock based on available thermal dissipation following the 0.025V per 100mhz rule, it is now time to "optimize" this overclock a bit further by checking for stable headroom of under-voltage and/or overclocking on either side of this setting, without holding to the 0.025V/100mhz rule. It may be that it will run with a little less voltage, and with a little more clock speed.
    • AFTER discovering that "ideal" LLC setting and voltage level to run the chip at the final overclock, you can now go back and re-enable all of the power saving features, and use an off-set voltage setting instead of a direct-voltage setting in order to regain your low power idle states. The "off-set" voltage setting is based off the VID reported. So you will just take whatever voltage setting you were using, and set the offset to make up the difference between that and the VID. This will get idle power consumption back down to "normal" for long term use.

Best of luck with the overclock.
    Eric

PS: Your motherboard may have a slew of sophisticated adjustments far beyond the scope of this quick rough "guide." You may be able to use other fine controls of your board to fine tune your voltage/LLC regulation. I have no hands on with that specific board, but would advise that you should spend plenty of time researching all of the BIOS features so that you can properly exploit them for the best possible outcome."
    "If you got it, Build it"

A+ Certified. Dell, Lenovo, HP, Lexmarks, Xerox, Panasonic and NEC Certified ASP.

3. The following user thanks Cyberburnout For this above post:

Bill Barnes (24-03-2015)

Status

Last Online
    15-02-2019 @ 19:48
    CPU: AMD / Ryzen / 1700X / 3850 MHz
    M/B: Asrock X370 Taichi
    RAM: 16gb / Geil / EvoX / 16-16-16-36 / 3200 MHz
    GPU: Sapphire / R9 290 Vapor-X / 4gb / x 2 Crossfire
    • joshjaks's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Core V71
      • PSU:
      • Rosewill / Lightning / 1000w
      • Cooling:
      • Proc / Swiftech Apogee II Block, Enermax NEOllusion Res Fans / 4x NZXT 200mm Front and Top / 2 x Corsair AF140mm Purple LED Bottom and Back GPU / Stock (Vapor-X)
      • Monitor:
      • Viewsonic 27" LED FreeSync
      • Windows 10
      • Misc:
      • NZXT Grid+ Fan Controller
    Thanks
    Level completed: 95%,
    Points required for next Level: 52
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 52

Just to add to what Cyberburnout was saying, in order to get 4.7 stable on my board, I had to adjust my vcore to 1.5v and LLC would bring my voltage up to around 1.55 under load. I wouldn't be surprised if one would have to exceed 1.6 vcore on a regular basis for stability which is pretty high.

Also, a problem I had with the Crosshair was the board had a very weak socket. The slightest over exertion from the CPU cooler could cause things in the socket to go bad and the system to become unstable. The best way to know is to run everything at stock clocks and if you're still getting blue screens, it very well could be the board. You'd think Asus would have reinforced that socket better, especially since people usually lke to use after market coolers on FX CPUs but those issues eventually drove me to buy the Asrock Extreme9 since I was doing a lot of cooler upgrades.

Status

Last Online
    22-08-2017 @ 22:03
    Thanks
    Level completed: 91%,
    Points required for next Level: 65
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 65
    Overall activity: 99.3%

the cooling system you have is not sufficient.
    the chip misbehaves severely, & life is DRASTICALLY shortened once it reaches 60 celcious
    a minimum of a 3 fan radiator is needed to run this chip at it's intended 5.0 gz

ive done it a few time, and i can do it again once i buy the hardware that will support it
    this is my second 9590 chip, and third fatality killer MOBO i can defiantly tell you the hardware i

have can not handle this chip

pOverclocking a AMD-9590?-stable5-15-14.pngOverclocking a AMD-9590?-plus-5-much-pcie-freq-best-oc-settings-5-10-14.pngOverclocking a AMD-9590?-ram-cpu-gpu-oc-d-15.3k.png
    Last edited by calemus; 18-03-2015 at 13:22.
    learning is good .....understanding is better .....pleas teach with wisdom............................................ ..............calemus

Status

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 17:36
    CPU: ThreadRipper 2950X @4.1Ghz
    M/B: MSI Meg X399 Creation
    RAM: 64GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3000
    GPU: 2x Aorus GTX 1080Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme
    • Smiki007's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Core X9
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova 1600W 80+ G2
      • Cooling:
      • 2x Enermax NEOChanger Res/Pump Combo + 2x Swiftech Xtreme FLow 360mm Rads + ACool Nexxos XT45 240mm Rad + EKWB Pom / Nickel Full Cover TR4 Water Block)
      • Monitor:
      • ASUS VG278H 3D
      • W10 Pro v.1809
    Thanks
    Level completed: 58%,
    Points required for next Level: 850
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 850

You can first start with the integrated OC profile of your board UEFI BIOS (Normal OC Profile, Extreme OC Profile or something similar), under the Extreme Tweaker options.

Always look beyond the limits...

Status

Last Online
      • Case:
      • Urban T81
      • PSU:
      • CM Silent 350w
      • Cooling:
      • Sound:
      • ONBOARD
      • Monitor:
      • Dual 24"
      • WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE X64
      • Misc:
      • White LED lighting
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by joshjaks View Post
    Just to add to what Cyberburnout was saying, in order to get 4.7 stable on my board, I had to adjust my vcore to 1.5v and LLC would bring my voltage up to around 1.55 under load. I wouldn't be surprised if one would have to exceed 1.6 vcore on a regular basis for stability which is pretty high.

Also, a problem I had with the Crosshair was the board had a very weak socket. The slightest over exertion from the CPU cooler could cause things in the socket to go bad and the system to become unstable. The best way to know is to run everything at stock clocks and if you're still getting blue screens, it very well could be the board. You'd think Asus would have reinforced that socket better, especially since people usually lke to use after market coolers on FX CPUs but those issues eventually drove me to buy the Asrock Extreme9 since I was doing a lot of cooler upgrades.
    Personally I think Asus does the opposite of not reinforcing the socket or board. I think they make thier boards far to rigid. Any flexing during install or mounting aftermarket coolers is causing micro fractures in between the multi-layers. This would lead to sporadic behavior, shorts, power leakage and board component failure. Of course I have no proof to back this claim up because I do not have a UV microscope or Electron microscope to check and Asus sure as hell wont tell anyone this. With any highend Asus board you can almost hear a cracking sound when you move the board around.

Quote Originally Posted by Smiki007 View Post
    You can first start with the integrated OC profile of your board UEFI BIOS (Normal OC Profile, Extreme OC Profile or something similar), under the Extreme Tweaker options.

Good option. Forgot about those settings as I never us them lol.

Really? You dont think the H240X can handle the 9590 alone? Surprised by that. I have not tried it so I will have to trust you on this one. Seems like it should with the fans turned up a bit.

A+ Certified. Dell, Lenovo, HP, Lexmarks, Xerox, Panasonic and NEC Certified ASP.

8. The following users thank 2 For this above post:

Bill Barnes (24-03-2015), joshjaks (19-03-2015)

Status

Last Online
    • Smiki007's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Core X9
      • PSU:
      • Cooling:
      • 2x Enermax NEOChanger Res/Pump Combo + 2x Swiftech Xtreme FLow 360mm Rads + ACool Nexxos XT45 240mm Rad + EKWB Pom / Nickel Full Cover TR4 Water Block)
      • Monitor:
      • ASUS VG278H 3D
      • W10 Pro v.1809
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberburnout View Post
    Good option. Forgot about those settings as I never us them lol.
    Neither do I, but it's a good start for OC beginners, where they can see the values ​​of preset OC, and have a clue whát to do next.
    PS. BTW, you wrote an pretty good OC guide mate.

Status

Last Online
    04-11-2015 @ 23:23
    CPU: AMD FX-9590
    M/B: Asus ROG Formula Z Crosshair V
    RAM: 16gb AMD Gaming 2400mhz
    GPU: Asus ROG GTX 760 Striker 4Gb
    • djmanmatt1's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • NZXT Phantom 530
      • PSU:
      • Thermaltake Tough Power 750w 80+gold
      • Cooling:
      • Swiftech H-240x 2xCorsair sp140 Nzxt 200mm
      • Monitor:
      • Asus VG248QE 24" 140hz
      • Windows 8.1 Pro
    Thanks

Hey guys thinks for all the help I have tried the integrated OC but that even did not work. I really don't know why I what to over clock this because it does everything I could ask for and quick! It's not without its faults tho I do sometimes get the blue screen (I'm on 8.1) and don't know what causes that. As far as the H240-X I love it it is quiet and looks great and , and when I'm gaming I get in the 48-55 range but with prime 95 it can't keep it cool after a few min I'm up to 68 and back down.

Status

Last Online
      • Case:
      • NZXT Phantom 530
      • PSU:
      • Cooling:
      • Monitor:
      • Asus VG248QE 24" 140hz
      • Windows 8.1 Pro
    Thanks

Here is a few pics of my rig

Status

Last Online
    22-08-2017 @ 22:03
    Thanks
    Level completed: 91%,
    Points required for next Level: 65
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 65

if you hit 68 you might have destroyed it

but,,dat rog doah baby
    she be lookin hot, sweet, and sasy all at the same time!!!
    learning is good .....understanding is better .....pleas teach with wisdom............................................ ..............calemus

Status

Last Online
      • Case:
      • NZXT Phantom 530
      • PSU:
      • Cooling:
      • Monitor:
      • Asus VG248QE 24" 140hz
      • Windows 8.1 Pro
    Thanks

I do think that temp is on the socket tho she stills runs good tho and thanks I like it I just wish I had the money to do a another build even tho that is only 3months old lol

Status

Last Online
    • Smiki007's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Core X9
      • PSU:
      • Cooling:
      • Monitor:
      • ASUS VG278H 3D
      • W10 Pro v.1809
    Thanks

Nice build you have. Congrats.

Status

Last Online
      • Case:
      • Urban T81
      • PSU:
      • CM Silent 350w
      • Cooling:
      • Sound:
      • ONBOARD
      • Monitor:
      • Dual 24"
      • WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE X64
      • Misc:
      • White LED lighting
    Thanks

Good looking build. ROG much? I know why you want to OC it, same reason as the rest of us. Because you can. ...It's there....its your hardware.....squeeze even cent out of it......its fun!...bragging rights. It is always the same reasons and all are acceptable answers.

Stick around and you might run across more helpful info.

Status

Last Online
    17-11-2017 @ 17:59
    CPU: Amd Phenom BE 720x3
    M/B: Asus M4a79 t Deluxe
    RAM: G-Skill 1600
    GPU: Radeon 4870x2
    • Bill Barnes's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • CM Storm Sniper
      • PSU:
      • OCZ850
      • Cooling:
      • Liquid Cooling
      • Sound:
      • onbaord
      • Monitor:
      • Dell 24"
      • Windows 7 64bit
    Thanks
    Level completed: 49%,
    Points required for next Level: 461
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 461

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberburnout View Post
    Welcome to PureOC.
    The 9590 is basically a factory overclocked 8350. It is able to run at 5GHz turbo because it sucks up a lot of power. When you want to core clock to be at 5ghz steadily you need to lock all cores(Fixed) turn off all power saving features,...... oh wait never-mind. I Just remembered this was already posted here and on OCN. Everyone with a 9590 has not had success at running at 5Ghz daily. You are running the best AIO/Semi custom solution you can pick up off the shelf so cooling should not be an issue unless your GPU has been integrated into the loop. You should also check your peak power draw. 220w to cpu & Up to 300w from GPU. That is leaving 230w for the rest of the system. High estimate but something you should check.
    "

• Intstall a small fan, blowing on the VRM heatsink.
    • Set the chip to 4.5ghz
    • turn off turbo core
    • turn off any proprietary performance enhancement features. (any auto-overclocking or turbo-core enhancing features on the board)
    • turn off all power saving features (like C states and cool/quiet, this is only temporary, you will probably be able to re-enable these after finding a stable overclock, but tracking down your best LLC settings for your overclock will require that you disable these temporarily)
    • Set voltage to 1.45V
    • Switch CPU Load-Line Calibration from Auto to "whatever else is available"
    • I do not know what options you will have for LLC (it may be a variable range like a number, or a bunch of different "presets" like "normal" and "medium" "low" "extreme" etc. I do not know.)
    • Set LLC to a custom setting.
    • Boot and run a CPU stress test.
    • Using hardware monitoring software, observe the CPU voltage as you transition from idle load to full load with the CPU stress testing.
    • If the voltage rises above 1.45V during the stress test, reboot and reduce the aggressiveness of the LLC setting.
    • If the voltage dips below 1.45V during the stress test, reboot and increase the aggressiveness of the LLC setting.
    • Rinse and repeat this process of checking the voltage stability under a load vs idle voltage until you have the tightest possible variation from idle to loaded voltage. There will almost always be some voltage variation from idle to load, so aim for a setting that sags slightly when loaded, rather than rises slightly.
    • Check BIOS for the default CPU VID. It should report this next to the CPU voltage control.
    • Manually set the CPU voltage below the VID. (for example, if the VID is 1.45V, you should set it to 1.425V or less and start your testing there)
    • Check for boot stability.
    • Reduce CPU voltage manually a couple steps at a time and keep checking for boot stability. When boot stability fails, bump the voltage back up a "notch." Long term testing is not required here. You're looking for a "reasonably stable" under-volted setting. Do some quick stress tests along the way on successful boots to check the voltage variation from idle to load.
    • Through the process of lowering the voltage, you may find that you have to reduce the aggressiveness of your LLC setting in order to maintain good tolerances from loaded to unloaded conditions.
    • When you have found the "minimum" stable operating voltage (actual reported voltage under a load), you can now form a road-map upon which to overclock from.
    • Every 100mhz increase will require roughly a 0.025V increase in voltage from this "reference" point you have discovered.
    • Assuming your "reference" point, is 4.5ghz@~1.325V (probably will be close to this), then you should be able to run 5.0ghz@1.45V.
    • Remember, 1.45V (assuming this is the voltage you wind up needing to run 5ghz), has nothing to do with the selected voltage setting (though it should hopefully be close). You're looking for a combination of manual voltage setting, and LLC setting, that results in 1.45V both at idle and under a load (as close to it as possible). This may mean using a voltage setting of 1.475V and a particular LLC setting that lands 1.447V under a load (this would be close enough). Or perhaps, a 1.4875V setting with an LLC setting that results in 1.451V under a load. Does that make sense? The reason for all the fussing around before to find that "ideal" LLC setting for 4.5ghz@1.45V, was to set up a starting point to make adjustments from to the LLC setting, so you would know which way to go as you create changes to the load.
    • After setting the new "overclocked" setting, it is now time to test for thermal dissipation problems. (If you have done everything correctly up to this point, then the only stability issues remaining would theoretically be from thermals, not from voltage vs clocks) If the chip runs with plenty of thermal headroom under a load at this setting, then it may be worth exploring an even higher overclock. (just increase the multiplier and voltage increment by increment till you run out of thermal headroom).
    • After discovering the maximum "reasonable" overclock based on available thermal dissipation following the 0.025V per 100mhz rule, it is now time to "optimize" this overclock a bit further by checking for stable headroom of under-voltage and/or overclocking on either side of this setting, without holding to the 0.025V/100mhz rule. It may be that it will run with a little less voltage, and with a little more clock speed.
    • AFTER discovering that "ideal" LLC setting and voltage level to run the chip at the final overclock, you can now go back and re-enable all of the power saving features, and use an off-set voltage setting instead of a direct-voltage setting in order to regain your low power idle states. The "off-set" voltage setting is based off the VID reported. So you will just take whatever voltage setting you were using, and set the offset to make up the difference between that and the VID. This will get idle power consumption back down to "normal" for long term use.

Best of luck with the overclock.
    Eric

PS: Your motherboard may have a slew of sophisticated adjustments far beyond the scope of this quick rough "guide." You may be able to use other fine controls of your board to fine tune your voltage/LLC regulation. I have no hands on with that specific board, but would advise that you should spend plenty of time researching all of the BIOS features so that you can properly exploit them for the best possible outcome."
    Sandy when you posted this OC article for OCing the 9590 what motherboard were you using!
    turn off turbo core
    turn off any proprietary performance enhancement features. (any auto-overclocking or turbo-core enhancing features on the board)
    turn off all power saving features (like C states and cool/quiet, this is only temporary
    Also in re: to this suggestion: Are these items you leave disabled? What is a safe idle temp and highest load temp that will not damge the CPU? Thanks for any info! Sorry I havent been active Hopefully things will get better for me but right now I have to deal with it one day at a time! Bill

Status

Last Online
      • Case:
      • Urban T81
      • PSU:
      • CM Silent 350w
      • Cooling:
      • Sound:
      • ONBOARD
      • Monitor:
      • Dual 24"
      • WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE X64
      • Misc:
      • White LED lighting
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Barnes View Post
    Sandy when you posted this OC article for OCing the 9590 what motherboard were you using!
    turn off turbo core
    turn off any proprietary performance enhancement features. (any auto-overclocking or turbo-core enhancing features on the board)
    turn off all power saving features (like C states and cool/quiet, this is only temporary
    Also in re: to this suggestion: Are these items you leave disabled? What is a safe idle temp and highest load temp that will not damge the CPU? Thanks for any info! Sorry I havent been active Hopefully things will get better for me but right now I have to deal with it one day at a time! Bill

This came from somewhere else. I didn't write it. think OCN. Cant recall. However any 990FX based board will have the same features but may be in different locations in the bios.

Yes I leave all of those items disabled if I am planning on running the final overclock 24/7.

If I am not mistaken you want to keep AMD CPUs under 60c MAX temp. Depending on cooler it should idle below 30-40c.

Status

Last Online
    11-12-2017 @ 03:23
    Thanks
    Level completed: 3%,
    Points required for next Level: 48
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 48

Allways much appreciates your efforts. Really thanks.!
    <a href="http://crackithub.com/poweriso-crack-v7.4-latest/">PowerIso Crack v7.4</a>

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links