motherboards
Arctic
Arctic Feezer 7x
Page 13 of 61 FirstFirst ... 3 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 23 ... LastLast
Results 193 to 208 of 966

Thread: Maximus II Formula Club

  1. #193
    Member

    Status
    slngsht is offline

    Last Online
    14-09-2010 @ 22:23
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Roanoke, VA
    Posts
    48
    CPU: E8400 C0 under Apogee GTZ
    M/B: Maximus II Formula 1901
    RAM: 2x2gb Corsair Dominator 1066
    GPU: xfx 4870 1gb w/ MCW60-4870 waterblock
    • slngsht's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master CM690 modded
      • PSU:
      • PC P&C 750 Silencer red ed.
      • Cooling:
      • Water: Apogee GTZ, pump: MCR330, triple rad, gpu: MCW60-4870
      • Sound:
      • supremefx x-fi
      • Monitor:
      • Samsung 245BW 24"
      • OS:
      • Vista Home Premium 64 bit
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Points: 2,411, Level: 13
    Points: 2,411, Level: 13
    Level completed: 87%,
    Points required for next Level: 39
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 39
    Overall activity: 55.0%
    Overall activity: 55.0%

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zaction View Post
    Thanks Again!
    As for monitor, I am still stuck with a 19" which is tiny by today's standards. I think the next one with be a 22" unless I can get a 24" relatively cheap.
    yeah, go for the 24". You won't be disappointed.

    DId I mention that I bumped up the Freq. of my Q6600 to 2.7Ghz? I will try to step up one more notch. My temps are only about 40C after a hard core couple of hours of FSX. very impressive temps indeed. So, if I can get it to 3.0Ghz on stock cooling at keep it to 50C I should be good to go don't you think? Apparently the revision of the CPU is a big deal. The newer G0 I think it is runs lots cooler than the first one (cant recall the revision #)
    with adequate cooling, you should reach 3.4 pretty easily, and 3.6 is not uncommon. You have a really good overclocking board, take that chip to the limit!

    The one thing I have noticed that worries me is the temp of the PSU. It's right at the limit at 40C. Is that limit (default set by PC Probe) true I wonder? My PSU is ASUS so.... 550W cant recall off the top of my head the model#. I wonder what other cooling solution I can use for the PSU and/or Mobo.
    You're pushing that PSU really hard with the components you have. I would consider that a top-priority upgrade and do it soon. If it's heating up too hot, it could be sending dirty power to your components and that can cause instability and over time, damage your hardware.

  2. The following user thanks slngsht For this above post:

    Zaction (05-01-2009)

  3. #194
    New Member

    Status
    Zaction is offline

    Last Online
    13-01-2009 @ 13:53
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    19
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Points: 2,045, Level: 12
    Points: 2,045, Level: 12
    Level completed: 65%,
    Points required for next Level: 105
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 105
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Overall activity: 13.0%

    Default

    Thanks Man,

    Yeah... I want a 24" if I can. I had no idea they were down to $300 now.. At least ones that have decent performance/Specs. I'll have to put a bug in my wife's ear about that and TrackIR I think I already gave her a NewEgg link to a 22" one. She got ne my MoBo/CPU and HDD from links I emailed her. Gotta love that. HA! She even had one of our friends get me the GSkill RAM I wanted. you gotta love PC gear. Screw console games. Ha

  4. #195
    New Member

    Status
    Zaction is offline

    Last Online
    13-01-2009 @ 13:53
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    19
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Points: 2,045, Level: 12
    Points: 2,045, Level: 12
    Level completed: 65%,
    Points required for next Level: 105
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 105
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Overall activity: 13.0%

    Default

    Thanks..

    I didn't think of the dirty power aspect of it. Does 40C seem hot? The PSU is 550W and I don't think I am using anywhere near that. Only one GPU, the MOBO is supposed to be pretty darn efficient, it goes into sleep mode after 1 hour of no use. I have 3HDD's but rarely run more than one at a time unless I am transferring from one to the other for backup purposes. Maybe I need to be more sure about keeping the dust out of it. 40C just doesn't seem that high to me. Guess I need to find some specs on operating temps for it.

  5. #196
    New Member

    Status
    Zaction is offline

    Last Online
    13-01-2009 @ 13:53
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    19
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Points: 2,045, Level: 12
    Points: 2,045, Level: 12
    Level completed: 65%,
    Points required for next Level: 105
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 105
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Overall activity: 13.0%

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Deton View Post
    Hi Zac,

    I wouldn't ask you this question if you've filled out your system specs on the left column under your name.

    What mobo do you have, Asus I assume since you post this question under Maximus thread?

    The safetest way is through mobo flashing ultility (Dos), by enter the Bios.
    I have done under Windows as well, no problem encounter yet unless you have unstable OS and it crashes during flashing. But most of high end boards nowaday they have safety backup bios, if something major wrong and you can't do soft flashing or restore the bios. Then you can manually reset the jumper to restore the backup bios which it's stored on the mobo.

    For example the MIIF (Maximus II Formula) board has it and I'm sure the Rampage II Extreme has it too?

    Bullydog can confirm on this when he gets around pocking with his new RIIE
    Hey Deton,

    Sorry.. I entered system specs in the area provided when I signed up.. I didn't know that the info was not displayed next to my name. I guess I need to add that some other place.. I'll look into fixing that. Sorry.. I know I am supposed to show my Specs so people can have that info to help.

    I'm not even sure of my BIOS version right now. Different PC than this one.

    Anyway.. I have the Maximus II Formula. Just got it installed. Have Vista Ultimate 64 bit, Q6600, 4GB GSkill PC-8400.

    You helped me get it overclocked. Works great so far. Very cool temps @2.7Ghz (40C under load). Will try 3.0Ghz and check stability and temps again. Appreciate the help BTW.

    This MOBO actually has 2 BIOS chips onboard I see in the manual and on the MOBO. Very good idea!

    Anyway... Was just wondering if updating BIOS through the Windows Utility that came with the MOBO was the best and if I should use a USB stick, burn the BIOS to a CDC, etc etc...

    Updating the BIOS is a scary thing for a newb like myself. hehe

    Also, do you reccoemend I use the latest BIOS or a slightly older one? (ie... any known problems with the newest one)

    Also, do I need to update both chips or save the origin al BIOS on one of them in case of a problem?

    Thanks So Much,

    Zaction

  6. #197
    OC Jedi Master

    Status
    Deton is offline

    Last Online
    27-02-2014 @ 22:13
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    8,493
    CPU: i7 920, 4.2Ghz HT
    M/B: P6X58D Premium
    RAM: OCZ Flex EX PC3-17000 12GB
    GPU: Asus EAH5870
    • Deton's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Lian Li A70F
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Galaxy Evo 1250W
      • Cooling:
      • Custom H20 setup.
      • Sound:
      • Onboard
      • Monitor:
      • ViewSonic VX2435
      • OS:
      • Win 7 - 64bit
    Thanks
    45
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 1,026 Posts
    Points: 50,246, Level: 69
    Points: 50,246, Level: 69
    Level completed: 36%,
    Points required for next Level: 904
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 904
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Overall activity: 7.0%

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zaction View Post
    Hey Deton,

    Sorry.. I entered system specs in the area provided when I signed up.. I didn't know that the info was not displayed next to my name. I guess I need to add that some other place.. I'll look into fixing that. Sorry.. I know I am supposed to show my Specs so people can have that info to help.
    you have to click on "Save" button I think.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zaction View Post
    You helped me get it overclocked. Works great so far. Very cool temps @2.7Ghz (40C under load). Will try 3.0Ghz and check stability and temps again. Appreciate the help BTW.
    I did?
    LOL....I lost track


    Quote Originally Posted by Zaction View Post
    Anyway... Was just wondering if updating BIOS through the Windows Utility that came with the MOBO was the best and if I should use a USB stick, burn the BIOS to a CDC, etc etc...

    Updating the BIOS is a scary thing for a newb like myself. hehe
    this is a personal thing. I would use USB stick because it's quick and you can use it when you in the bios and you can rewrite it. You can't access the CD/DVD drive if you do it in the Dos.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zaction View Post
    Also, do you reccoemend I use the latest BIOS or a slightly older one? (ie... any known problems with the newest one)

    Also, do I need to update both chips or save the origin al BIOS on one of them in case of a problem?

    Thanks So Much,

    Zaction
    If the older version don't give you any problem then it is not neccessay to update it. Unless you just updated new hardware and they are not compatible with the mobo then you might have to update the bios. I'm still using 1307 version and the latest is 1802, I think.

  7. The following user thanks Deton For this above post:

    Zaction (06-01-2009)

  8. #198
    OC Jedi Master

    Status
    Deton is offline

    Last Online
    27-02-2014 @ 22:13
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    8,493
    CPU: i7 920, 4.2Ghz HT
    M/B: P6X58D Premium
    RAM: OCZ Flex EX PC3-17000 12GB
    GPU: Asus EAH5870
    • Deton's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Lian Li A70F
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Galaxy Evo 1250W
      • Cooling:
      • Custom H20 setup.
      • Sound:
      • Onboard
      • Monitor:
      • ViewSonic VX2435
      • OS:
      • Win 7 - 64bit
    Thanks
    45
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 1,026 Posts
    Points: 50,246, Level: 69
    Points: 50,246, Level: 69
    Level completed: 36%,
    Points required for next Level: 904
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 904
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Overall activity: 7.0%

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zaction View Post
    Thanks..

    I didn't think of the dirty power aspect of it. Does 40C seem hot? The PSU is 550W and I don't think I am using anywhere near that. Only one GPU, the MOBO is supposed to be pretty darn efficient, it goes into sleep mode after 1 hour of no use. I have 3HDD's but rarely run more than one at a time unless I am transferring from one to the other for backup purposes. Maybe I need to be more sure about keeping the dust out of it. 40C just doesn't seem that high to me. Guess I need to find some specs on operating temps for it.
    what is PSU?
    I think you were talking about PWM temperature, I'm not sure myself if it is for the PSU. I think it's for PULSE WITH MODULE chip on the mobo.

    My idle temp is around 35c and 45c or so when load. Just to make sure you have good case air flow.

  9. #199
    New Member

    Status
    Zaction is offline

    Last Online
    13-01-2009 @ 13:53
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    19
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Points: 2,045, Level: 12
    Points: 2,045, Level: 12
    Level completed: 65%,
    Points required for next Level: 105
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 105
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Overall activity: 13.0%

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Deton View Post
    you have to click on "Save" button I think.


    I did?
    LOL....I lost track



    this is a personal thing. I would use USB stick because it's quick and you can use it when you in the bios and you can rewrite it. You can't access the CD/DVD drive if you do it in the Dos.


    If the older version don't give you any problem then it is not neccessay to update it. Unless you just updated new hardware and they are not compatible with the mobo then you might have to update the bios. I'm still using 1307 version and the latest is 1802, I think.
    Ah! Thanks....You are a virtual Delphi of info on this stuff

    I never thought that I may not 'need' the update the BIOS. Good point...

    I do have one problem however that I can't seem to find and answer for on this MOBO:

    1. The bundled X-Fi card seems to work ok (2 speaker mode only) but it won't allow me to do anything but 2.1 speakers. I have 5.1 Altec Lansing Speakers/Bass setup. There is no arrow or setting in the X-Fi SB Panel to let me change to 5.1. According to the mobo manual.. it should let me set 5.1/7.1 etc.... but there is no option to select anything. It's stuck at 2.1 or headphone option in 'Speaker Configuration'.

    I am not fully enjoying this sound card in with 2 speakers.....

    Have any ideas? Looked in Vista and no setting allowing me to change it to 5.1 there either that I can see..

    Thanks!

    Zaction

  10. #200
    New Member

    Status
    Zaction is offline

    Last Online
    13-01-2009 @ 13:53
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    19
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Points: 2,045, Level: 12
    Points: 2,045, Level: 12
    Level completed: 65%,
    Points required for next Level: 105
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 105
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Overall activity: 13.0%

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Deton View Post
    what is PSU?
    I think you were talking about PWM temperature, I'm not sure myself if it is for the PSU. I think it's for PULSE WITH MODULE chip on the mobo.

    My idle temp is around 35c and 45c or so when load. Just to make sure you have good case air flow.
    Hey Again,

    My PSU is an ASUS A-55GA 550W. It's been great with my last MOBO. (P5N-32SLI Deluxe)

    When I use PC Probe II I see a temp for 'Power'. Is that not the PSU? It's ok at idle 37C now but it goes up to 45 under load. The PC Probe limit is default set to 45C so it alarms at me when it hits 45C. I just wonder if that reading ir correct or if th elimit is set too low. I have a Thermaltake Tsunami case and it has been great for cooling. It has like 4 fans plus the CPU fan. I keep the dust and hair out of it and it's in a ventilated place. In the summer it gets a bit warm but the ambient temps in my office is not bad this time of year.

  11. #201
    OC Jedi Master

    Status
    Deton is offline

    Last Online
    27-02-2014 @ 22:13
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    8,493
    CPU: i7 920, 4.2Ghz HT
    M/B: P6X58D Premium
    RAM: OCZ Flex EX PC3-17000 12GB
    GPU: Asus EAH5870
    • Deton's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Lian Li A70F
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Galaxy Evo 1250W
      • Cooling:
      • Custom H20 setup.
      • Sound:
      • Onboard
      • Monitor:
      • ViewSonic VX2435
      • OS:
      • Win 7 - 64bit
    Thanks
    45
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 1,026 Posts
    Points: 50,246, Level: 69
    Points: 50,246, Level: 69
    Level completed: 36%,
    Points required for next Level: 904
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 904
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Overall activity: 7.0%

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zaction View Post
    Hey Again,

    My PSU is an ASUS A-55GA 550W. It's been great with my last MOBO. (P5N-32SLI Deluxe)

    When I use PC Probe II I see a temp for 'Power'. Is that not the PSU? It's ok at idle 37C now but it goes up to 45 under load. The PC Probe limit is default set to 45C so it alarms at me when it hits 45C. I just wonder if that reading ir correct or if th elimit is set too low. I have a Thermaltake Tsunami case and it has been great for cooling. It has like 4 fans plus the CPU fan. I keep the dust and hair out of it and it's in a ventilated place. In the summer it gets a bit warm but the ambient temps in my office is not bad this time of year.
    I hardly use ProbeII becasue I use Everest instead. I will check it tonight if that the same thing.
    I think it says POWER for ProbeII but PWM for Everest. You can manually set it to 50c so the alarm wont go off.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zaction View Post
    Ah! Thanks....You are a virtual Delphi of info on this stuff

    I never thought that I may not 'need' the update the BIOS. Good point...

    I do have one problem however that I can't seem to find and answer for on this MOBO:

    1. The bundled X-Fi card seems to work ok (2 speaker mode only) but it won't allow me to do anything but 2.1 speakers. I have 5.1 Altec Lansing Speakers/Bass setup. There is no arrow or setting in the X-Fi SB Panel to let me change to 5.1. According to the mobo manual.. it should let me set 5.1/7.1 etc.... but there is no option to select anything. It's stuck at 2.1 or headphone option in 'Speaker Configuration'.

    I am not fully enjoying this sound card in with 2 speakers.....

    Have any ideas? Looked in Vista and no setting allowing me to change it to 5.1 there either that I can see..

    Thanks!

    Zaction
    ha ha...you are lucky. I just happen have the access to computer from work and home at all time.

    To anwser your questions:
    1). Is your speakers actually have lef/right (Front/rear) and middle (sub base)?
    once again I haven't use this card from day one because I'm using Fatalty1 instead. But I have read it somewhere, the software come with the X-Fi sound card need to be activated to get full use of it and I think it will cost you for this, but I not sure here.

    However, I didn't have this problem with X-Fi for the MAXIMUS FORMULA board those, maybe you didn't hook it up properly.

    2). I have to check on this with the Maximus Formula rig though. Can't do with the MIIF rig because I don't have the on board sound card install.

  12. #202
    New Member

    Status
    Zaction is offline

    Last Online
    13-01-2009 @ 13:53
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    19
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Points: 2,045, Level: 12
    Points: 2,045, Level: 12
    Level completed: 65%,
    Points required for next Level: 105
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 105
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Overall activity: 13.0%

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Deton View Post
    I hardly use ProbeII becasue I use Everest instead. I will check it tonight if that the same thing.
    I think it says POWER for ProbeII but PWM for Everest. You can manually set it to 50c so the alarm wont go off.

    ha ha...you are lucky. I just happen have the access to computer from work and home at all time.

    To anwser your questions:
    1). Is your speakers actually have lef/right (Front/rear) and middle (sub base)?
    once again I haven't use this card from day one because I'm using Fatalty1 instead. But I have read it somewhere, the software come with the X-Fi sound card need to be activated to get full use of it and I think it will cost you for this, but I not sure here.

    However, I didn't have this problem with X-Fi for the MAXIMUS FORMULA board those, maybe you didn't hook it up properly.

    2). I have to check on this with the Maximus Formula rig though. Can't do with the MIIF rig because I don't have the on board sound card install.
    Howdy Deton,

    Ha! I also work from home but I use my laptop during the day for work and hew PC at night to play .. My wife works in the office from home too so I try to stay in a different room because she is on the phone so much.

    I am looking at Everest videos on YouTube. I must get this.. it looks nice. One thing tho.. I noticed core temps are much higher than the 'CPU' temp. Whats tat all about? Even if they all ready 65C the CPU reads ~50C.. odd..

    As for the sound.. yes.. I have front/read sub/center.... I am pretty sure I registered the software when I installed it... there was a serial Key on the CD envelope I had to use.. It's frustrating that I can't get the 5.1 to work... I have some seriously nice speakers I can't utilize fully.

    Do you think it's ok to turn the temp limit up on 'power'? Do you know where I can find a spec on what the max temp should be for that? I can't seem to find it. I wonder why ASUS PC probe sets he limit so low? Maybe Everest will be better..

    Thanks Again,

    Zaction

  13. #203
    OC Jedi Master

    Status
    Deton is offline

    Last Online
    27-02-2014 @ 22:13
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    8,493
    CPU: i7 920, 4.2Ghz HT
    M/B: P6X58D Premium
    RAM: OCZ Flex EX PC3-17000 12GB
    GPU: Asus EAH5870
    • Deton's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Lian Li A70F
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Galaxy Evo 1250W
      • Cooling:
      • Custom H20 setup.
      • Sound:
      • Onboard
      • Monitor:
      • ViewSonic VX2435
      • OS:
      • Win 7 - 64bit
    Thanks
    45
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 1,026 Posts
    Points: 50,246, Level: 69
    Points: 50,246, Level: 69
    Level completed: 36%,
    Points required for next Level: 904
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 904
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Overall activity: 7.0%

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zaction View Post
    Howdy Deton,
    LOL , U sound like you're from Texas?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zaction View Post
    My wife works in the office from home too so I try to stay in a different room because she is on the phone so much.
    good excuse to be alone

    Quote Originally Posted by Zaction View Post
    I am looking at Everest videos on YouTube. I must get this.. it looks nice. One thing tho.. I noticed core temps are much higher than the 'CPU' temp. Whats tat all about? Even if they all ready 65C the CPU reads ~50C.. odd..
    You can get trial version for free but it won't give you all the features

    Quote Originally Posted by Zaction View Post
    As for the sound.. yes.. I have front/read sub/center.... I am pretty sure I registered the software when I installed it... there was a serial Key on the CD envelope I had to use.. It's frustrating that I can't get the 5.1 to work... I have some seriously nice speakers I can't utilize fully.
    let me locate the article I've read about this issue. A guy has the same issue as you and I will let you know.


    Quote Originally Posted by Zaction View Post
    Do you think it's ok to turn the temp limit up on 'power'? Do you know where I can find a spec on what the max temp should be for that? I can't seem to find it. I wonder why ASUS PC probe sets he limit so low? Maybe Everest will be better..

    Thanks Again,

    Zaction
    Ok, ProbeII will say POWER but Everest will say PWM, and I'm trying to find out what exactly that temp for. I'm not sure for myself too. Definately not for PSU if it is say PWM.

    My PWM temp do jump up to 45c if I do Prime95 for hours, no crashing or what so ever. So I think you will be ok if you want to pump it up to 50c to take away the anoying warnning alarm.

  14. The following user thanks Deton For this above post:

    Zaction (07-01-2009)

  15. #204
    New Member

    Status
    Zaction is offline

    Last Online
    13-01-2009 @ 13:53
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    19
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Points: 2,045, Level: 12
    Points: 2,045, Level: 12
    Level completed: 65%,
    Points required for next Level: 105
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 105
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Overall activity: 13.0%

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by Deton View Post
    LOL , U sound like you're from Texas?


    good excuse to be alone


    You can get trial version for free but it won't give you all the features


    let me locate the article I've read about this issue. A guy has the same issue as you and I will let you know.



    Ok, ProbeII will say POWER but Everest will say PWM, and I'm trying to find out what exactly that temp for. I'm not sure for myself too. Definately not for PSU if it is say PWM.

    My PWM temp do jump up to 45c if I do Prime95 for hours, no crashing or what so ever. So I think you will be ok if you want to pump it up to 50c to take away the anoying warnning alarm.


    LOL...Actually I am from South Carolina. I just felt like being a Cowboy today for some reason. ha!

    I have not figured out how to reply to each of you lines as qoutes like you have done with me.. I am dense with these forums/blogs, etc.

    OK.. I may just pay for the full version. I like the way Everest looks... Seems to give a lot of info in the PC...

    Thanks for the help with everything and the X-Fi card. I know someone has got to have the same problem. I have been VERY happy with the MOBO except for that one little flaw. If you find anything please let me know, I will be forever grateful.

    I wonder why my PWM temp is at 45C while all the other temps are 10-20C below the limit? That seems odd. It worries me a little because my last PC got so unstable after time that it was sucha a pain. I got the BSOD several times a day and never figure out why. Maybe the CPU was damaged beyond repair. It was an E6400 I think. Stock....

    Have a good one D-Miester :cool:

    (Ok... now I am from Compton) LOL!!

  16. #205
    Member

    Status
    slngsht is offline

    Last Online
    14-09-2010 @ 22:23
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Roanoke, VA
    Posts
    48
    CPU: E8400 C0 under Apogee GTZ
    M/B: Maximus II Formula 1901
    RAM: 2x2gb Corsair Dominator 1066
    GPU: xfx 4870 1gb w/ MCW60-4870 waterblock
    • slngsht's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master CM690 modded
      • PSU:
      • PC P&C 750 Silencer red ed.
      • Cooling:
      • Water: Apogee GTZ, pump: MCR330, triple rad, gpu: MCW60-4870
      • Sound:
      • supremefx x-fi
      • Monitor:
      • Samsung 245BW 24"
      • OS:
      • Vista Home Premium 64 bit
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Points: 2,411, Level: 13
    Points: 2,411, Level: 13
    Level completed: 87%,
    Points required for next Level: 39
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 39
    Overall activity: 55.0%
    Overall activity: 55.0%

    Default

    I just got my motherboard today, and as suggested, I was going to put on washers for the northbridge and heatpipe assembly, but when I removed the screws, it appears that Asus has put their own spacing solution on there. Should I still use the washers or go with what they have put on there?

    it appears that some are thicker than the others, the top pic has three of those spacers on there, the other pic only has one.



  17. #206
    OC Jedi Master

    Status
    Deton is offline

    Last Online
    27-02-2014 @ 22:13
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    8,493
    CPU: i7 920, 4.2Ghz HT
    M/B: P6X58D Premium
    RAM: OCZ Flex EX PC3-17000 12GB
    GPU: Asus EAH5870
    • Deton's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Lian Li A70F
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Galaxy Evo 1250W
      • Cooling:
      • Custom H20 setup.
      • Sound:
      • Onboard
      • Monitor:
      • ViewSonic VX2435
      • OS:
      • Win 7 - 64bit
    Thanks
    45
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 1,026 Posts
    Points: 50,246, Level: 69
    Points: 50,246, Level: 69
    Level completed: 36%,
    Points required for next Level: 904
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 904
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Overall activity: 7.0%

    Default

    @slngsht; just add on top of it. If you use rubber one then when you tighten them the pressure will pushed down. So the stainless is the best or the hard white plastic one can be use, see my pics posted.

    Make sure when you re-tighten them do in alternating fashion, it's better start from the middle (northbrige) and move to outter side of the heatpipe. If you start from Mosfet or SB then the heatpipe might be twisted due to uneven pressure applied.

  18. The following user thanks Deton For this above post:

    slngsht (07-01-2009)

  19. #207
    Member

    Status
    slngsht is offline

    Last Online
    14-09-2010 @ 22:23
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Roanoke, VA
    Posts
    48
    CPU: E8400 C0 under Apogee GTZ
    M/B: Maximus II Formula 1901
    RAM: 2x2gb Corsair Dominator 1066
    GPU: xfx 4870 1gb w/ MCW60-4870 waterblock
    • slngsht's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master CM690 modded
      • PSU:
      • PC P&C 750 Silencer red ed.
      • Cooling:
      • Water: Apogee GTZ, pump: MCR330, triple rad, gpu: MCW60-4870
      • Sound:
      • supremefx x-fi
      • Monitor:
      • Samsung 245BW 24"
      • OS:
      • Vista Home Premium 64 bit
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Points: 2,411, Level: 13
    Points: 2,411, Level: 13
    Level completed: 87%,
    Points required for next Level: 39
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 39
    Overall activity: 55.0%
    Overall activity: 55.0%

    Default

    I swear, even with the washers on, it seems like the cooler could be tighter. But did yours have the spacers included on your board? Just curious as to whether this is something they are doing that's new.

    edit: also, instead of the grey thermal paste shown in your pics, they put white on mine. I just replaced it with Arctic Silver 5
    Last edited by slngsht; 07-01-2009 at 16:17.

  20. #208
    OC Jedi Master

    Status
    Deton is offline

    Last Online
    27-02-2014 @ 22:13
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    8,493
    CPU: i7 920, 4.2Ghz HT
    M/B: P6X58D Premium
    RAM: OCZ Flex EX PC3-17000 12GB
    GPU: Asus EAH5870
    • Deton's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Lian Li A70F
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Galaxy Evo 1250W
      • Cooling:
      • Custom H20 setup.
      • Sound:
      • Onboard
      • Monitor:
      • ViewSonic VX2435
      • OS:
      • Win 7 - 64bit
    Thanks
    45
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 1,026 Posts
    Points: 50,246, Level: 69
    Points: 50,246, Level: 69
    Level completed: 36%,
    Points required for next Level: 904
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 904
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Overall activity: 7.0%

    Default

    you can add on as many you like until you fell comfortable with it, the only problem is if you have too many washers then the screw might not reach the heatpipe screw hole.

    what spacers were you talking about?

    White thermal compound?...hmmm I guess Asus is improving the product I guess. The white one usaully ceramic compound.

Page 13 of 61 FirstFirst ... 3 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 23 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. The Maximus Formula Club
    By Deton in forum CPU Overclocking
    Replies: 886
    Last Post: 24-09-2013, 12:59
  2. Maximus III Extreme Club
    By Skyguy in forum CPU Overclocking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 27-03-2010, 12:26
  3. ASUS Maximus III Formula
    By Skyguy in forum Reviews & Articles
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 23-12-2009, 23:24
  4. Maximus III Formula
    By Deton in forum General Hardware
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 17-07-2009, 13:47
  5. ASUS R.O.G Maximus Formula preview
    By News Team in forum Hardware News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-09-2007, 04:51

Search tags for this page

asus maximus ii formula overclock
,

asus maximus ii formula overclocking guide

,
bl25664ar80a overclocking review
,

formula 55.tj

,
how to overclock asus maximus ii formula
,
maximus 2 formula overclock
,

maximus ii formula

,
maximus ii formula best overclocking
,

maximus ii formula nb temp

,
??i sharp gf88
Click on a term to search for related topics.

Tags for this Thread