Thanks
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 1,026 Posts
    Level completed: 36%,
    Points required for next Level: 904
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 904
    Overall activity: 7.0%

Default Core i7 4Ghz Club & Overclocking Guide

Core i7 owners please come join us and share your overclocking expertise, tips, secret and discussion on everything relate to
    Asus X58 boards or any others and Core i7 processors.

2. The following users thank 17 For this above post:

alan1476 (30-05-2012), BenchWarmer (05-05-2009), bullydog (28-03-2009), criss_glitch666 (22-01-2013), Cydia (09-12-2012), Doctor_Death (27-03-2009), dplxy (15-08-2009), etdavenport (06-02-2011), Haydz (20-11-2010), jayfunk (16-07-2009), Jewslox (17-05-2009), killjoyjim (19-06-2012), realneil (29-04-2012), Rizla (02-09-2011), shattered.likeness (28-03-2009), Skyguy (30-03-2009), Slocketman (04-06-2009)

OC Jedi Master

Status

Last Online
    27-02-2014 @ 22:13
    CPU: i7 920, 4.2Ghz HT
    M/B: P6X58D Premium
    RAM: OCZ Flex EX PC3-17000 12GB
    GPU: Asus EAH5870
    • Deton's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Lian Li A70F
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Galaxy Evo 1250W
      • Cooling:
      • Custom H20 setup.
      • Sound:
      • Onboard
      • Monitor:
      • ViewSonic VX2435
      • Win 7 - 64bit
    Thanks

Default 4Ghz Overclocking Guide

Intel introduced the LGA1366 new platform for the Core i7 processor architecture. This new chip deliver significantly better performance per clock cycle
    compared to the previous LGA775 system, also it has more power-efficient than its predecessors.

No doubt the Core i7 (Nahalem) is a great chip and also it has much more complex circuitry design than the Penryn family, it can handles everything you throw at it with ease.
    However, overclocking Nahalem is a little bit different compare to previous generation Core 2 processors.
    Consequently, the same overclocking principles apply to these new systems as well.

The Penryn processors which feature a Front Side Bus (FS and an external Memory Control Hub (MCH Northbridge); they are completely opposite to the Nahalem,
    it has onboard (integrated) MCH, a QPI (Quick Path Interconnect) bus, an Uncore clock and a Bclock (base bus frequency) constitutes each of the other component clock speeds.

Before Im tutoring you through the overclocking process I would like to disclaim to the fact that overclocking a CPU is exceeding manufacturer recommendations clock speed and voltage,
    there are some risks involved. Increasing CPU clock speed and excessively voltage can cause system instability or can permanent damage.
    Therefore, I'm not responsible for any damages or lost of your hardware if you're using my guide.

This guide is not attending for beginners; you must familiar with overclocking fundamental process.
    However, I'm try to make it simple as I can and the beginer can follow it as well.

OC Jedi Master

Status

Last Online
    • Deton's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Lian Li A70F
      • PSU:
      • Cooling:
      • Custom H20 setup.
      • Sound:
      • Onboard
      • Monitor:
      • ViewSonic VX2435
      • Win 7 - 64bit
    Thanks

Default Explaination

When overclocking LGA775 systems is relatively increasing the processor bus frequency, as the processor bus frequency increases
    so as the processor and memory frequencies are proportionally increases as well.
    In this situation, overclocking is completely different with Core i7 processors.

These processors not only have 8MB shared L3 cache and integrated memory controller but they use a totally new series interface to connect to the chipset and the base bus frequency (Bclock) play a major role for this new system. Core i7 also has 4 new sets of multiplier; you can find them as following;
    • CPU frequency = Bclock x CPU multiplier (locked multiplier unless you have the Extreme Edition then you can move upward)
    • Uncore frequency = Bclock x Uncore multiplier
    • Memory frequency = Bclock x Memory multiplier
    • QPI frequency = Bclock x QPI multiplier

Bclock
    This is the base bus frequency; it is similar to the FSB. This base bus frequency has its influence to the Uncore,
    memory clock, QPI clock and CPU clock components; when you increasing it will overclock everything at once. The Bclock stock frequency is 133Mhz.

Uncore
    The Uncore clock is the speeds of the L3 cache and the on-die MCH. Since both memory and Uncore clock share the same reference clock (Bclock)
    therefore the Uncore clock must always be equal or twice greater than the memory clock.

Example: The Uncore clock speed equal Bclock multiply the Uncore multiplier.
    Bclock = 133Mhz
    Memory multiplier = 12
    Uncore = 133Mhz x 2(12) Uncore multiplier = 3192Mhz

Memory clock
    The memory clock refers to RAM speeds, the memory clock speed is found as follow;
    Memory clock speed = memory multiplier x Bclock

Example:
    Bclock = 133Mhz
    Memory multiplier = 12
    Memory clock = 133Mhz x 12 = 2666Mhz

QPI clock
    QuickPath Interconnect clock speed determines the bandwidth available to all the components connected to it, such as RAM, GPUs, CPU, etc.
    QPI bus should be kept close to stock speeds, and its multiplier would have to be lowered in the case that the Bclock is raised. The lowest QPI multiplier available is 18x.
    QPI clock speed = Bclock x QPI multiplier
    Example:
    Bclock = 133Mhz
    QPI multiplier = 18
    QPI clock speed = 133Mhz x 18 = 2394Mhz

CPU clock
    The CPU clock is the processor clock frequency which the main unit that we want to enhance its speed.
    The equation can be found as following;
    CPU clock speed = Bclock x CPU multiplier

Example:
    Bclock = 133Mhz
    CPU multiplier = 20 (we will be using i7 920 has a locked multiplier at 20)
    CPU clock speed = 133mhz x 20 = 2660Mh

5. The following user thanks Deton For this above post:

4hams (01-10-2009)

OC Jedi Master

Status

Last Online
    • Deton's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Lian Li A70F
      • PSU:
      • Cooling:
      • Custom H20 setup.
      • Sound:
      • Onboard
      • Monitor:
      • ViewSonic VX2435
      • Win 7 - 64bit
    Thanks

Default Explaination Part II

Turbo Mode
    Intel designed Core i7 to actually overclock the CPU by itself for you. Its a feature which can be toggled on/off in the BIOS or through software
    so that the extra horsepower can be supplied to active cores. The active cores are then adjusted or overclocked by pump up the multiplier one notch for additional
    performance so that they perform faster. However, the Turbo mode only active if your processors thermal stay within its specification, which is mean if you have poor cooler
    than it wont switch over Turbo mode.

Example: if you have i7 920 with locked multiplier at 20x, the board will pump it to 21x when its needed.

Consequently, it is not extremely helpful when it comes to high-end overclocking. If youre a dedicated overclocker, I would recommend disabling this feature to force consistent clock speeds.

Hyper-Threading
    Welcome back HT.
    HyperThreading was introduced back then the Pentium 4 chip, it is a virtual multiple threading; when this feature enable, its allow each core to have two simultaneous threads for each core to processing. A quad-core processor with Hyper-Threading will show eight cores in the operating system but it doesnt have better performance than a true Octa-core system, but its definitely have better performance advantage in heavily multi-thread applications when it enables compared to the same system with Hyper-Threading disabled.

However, Hyper-Threading could hindered the performance if the applications are not multi-thread but in general with the Hyper-Thread smooth out multitasking and in applications that were optimized for multi-threading, you would see a modest performance advantage. The good thing is you can toggle this option on/off in the bios to suite your computing needs.

Voltages
    Its a known fact that overclocking can decrease the life of the CPU especially when it overvoltage.
    Normally when overclocking you do need to increase the CPU, MCH and RAM voltages to achieve higher overclocking and utilize its stability. When you increase these voltages are often they produce extra heat to the components. So increase the value in small increments at a time with precaution, and never go over each components max voltage specification or you can cause permanent damage each component if its raised too high.

vCore = the voltage for the CPU cores
    vTT = the voltage value for Uncore & MCH
    vdimm = RAM module voltage

Temperature
    Increasing CPU's voltage or its clock speed will generate extra heat, especially when you have Turbo Mode or Hyper-Threading enables. Therefore, you should make sure you have an adequate cooler before you overclocking your processor. Core i7 have stock of 130W TDP and it will jumps up to approximately 147w and can produce heat up to 250-290w when it overclocked.

How to determine if you have an adequate cooler before you proceed the overclocking?
    Using default stock settings open any thermal monitor program of your choice to check the CPU temperature. If the delta temperature (the different temperature) is within 5C 7C with the ambient temp then your cooler is adequate at idle loading.

Example:
    if you have ambient temp at 25C and the CPU temp is 30C then you are safe to use the cooler, and if it is more than 10C then you should investing in a better cooler before you start overclocking your processor.

Another way to determine if your HFS is good enough to cool overclocked i7;
    Leave everything at stock speed setting, run Prime95 at all threads with HT/Turbo enables. Now monitoring the temperature for few minutes; if your load temps reached beyond 70C at this point then dont even thinking of overclocking your CPU until you upgrade the HFS.

I would recommend, to keep the cores temperature at around 70c - 75c under load, this will give you about 5c of headroom for the hot summer days.

7. The following user thanks Deton For this above post:

anti5580 (24-06-2009)

OC Jedi Master

Status

Last Online
    • Deton's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Lian Li A70F
      • PSU:
      • Cooling:
      • Custom H20 setup.
      • Sound:
      • Onboard
      • Monitor:
      • ViewSonic VX2435
      • Win 7 - 64bit
    Thanks

Default Core i7 Overclock Calculator

If you have a hard time to figure out all the above equations manually then you can download this Nahalem Overclocking Calculator. This is handy and dandy tool to save you all the guess work.
    http://icrontic.com/files/apps/nehalem-calc/

OC Jedi Master

Status

Last Online
    • Deton's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Lian Li A70F
      • PSU:
      • Cooling:
      • Custom H20 setup.
      • Sound:
      • Onboard
      • Monitor:
      • ViewSonic VX2435
      • Win 7 - 64bit
    Thanks

Default BIOS Setting

The main three pieces of the hardware I will be using for this guide are the Asus P6T Deluxe, Core i7 920 and Corsair XMS3 TR3X6G1600C8D Dominator.
    If you have the 965 processor then you are very lucky person, this processor will make your overclock as a brezze.

You can keep Bclk low and just upwards the multiplier and it will flies. The overclocking principles still apply the same as you have 920, 940 or 965 version.

In BIOS Ai Tweaker menu set following options as below;

AI Overclock Tuner - Manual
    You need to set this option at Manual or D.O.C.P or X.M.P before you start to customize the other features.
    Since the Dominator is X.M.P ready so I chose this option over the Manual, if your memory is not X.M.P ready then you have to use Manual option and manually set the memory timings.

Although if you're lucky enough to have XMP ready memory you might want to try that - 1,600MHz sets the QPI link to 200MHz - just what we needed for 4GHz.

Intel Turbo Mode - Disable

I disabled it so as it would not interfere with the overclock.
    However you can leave on later on if you want use new Intel low power states.
    Normally this affects how the CPU overclocks and in extreme cases expect it will, because the on/off effect to the CPU frequency and voltages as the C-state changes.

BCLK Frequency 200Mhz
    BCLK = Base clock. This affects the QPI and uncore (L3 cache, northbridge) frequency too.
    Well be shooting for 4Ghz, so we will set the Bclock at 200Mhz.

CPU Voltage 1.35v (max 1.55v)
    At this value is plenty of juice to fed the i7 920, depending on your own CPUs need, it might be happy with less voltage.
    According to Intel white sheet, the maximum recommend voltage is 1.3675v. However, you still can go up to 1.4v-1.47v and still safe, of course its depending on what type of cooler you are using.

DRAM Frequency - 1,600MHz
    Since Im using Corsair Dominator 1600Mhz, therefore I will running it at stock speed. Im not going to overclock the RAM in this guide.
    Youll have more chances to get the system rock solid stable if you run the memory slower speeds if you can. However, you can overclock it later on when you have a stable overclocked.

CPU PLL Voltage 1.96v (max 1.89v)

Honestly, Ive to play with this voltage more, Intel recommended is 1.89v max but Im using 1.96v for now.

QPI/DRAM Voltage - 1.35v
    Dont confuse this voltage with the actual memory voltage. Increasing this is also necessary as it helps overclock the base frequency as the uncore area overclocks increase in relation to the CPU core overclocks. This voltage is tied to actual DRAM voltage - the two are directly connected on the motherboard. You'll need to increase this to keep the CPU safe.

You should keep this voltage and Vram voltage the same or no more/less than 0.5v.

OC Jedi Master

Status

Last Online
    • Deton's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Lian Li A70F
      • PSU:
      • Cooling:
      • Custom H20 setup.
      • Sound:
      • Onboard
      • Monitor:
      • ViewSonic VX2435
      • Win 7 - 64bit
    Thanks

Default BIOS Setting Part II

DRAM Voltage - 1.65V Max
    Theres a warning that you should keep this voltage max at 1.65v, anything above this have the potential to damage the CPU.
    However, if you can keep the CPU Uncore voltage within 0.5v difference of the DRAM voltage and theres no problem.

A little CPU Differential Amplitude will help with overclocking and turn off some unused features.

And keep Hardware Prefetcher and Hyper Threading on will improve performance.

With ACPI 2 enable, it's help to keep the clocks on Core i7

If you are familiar with Intel systems, the best thing to do is treat QPI frequency like you would with Front Side Bus and cranking up the QPI also levies another advantage - increased memory frequencies. Because the Core i7 920 uses the basic 4.8GT/s QPI frequency there is no option available here to adjust it, so you don't have to worry about it, however being able to see what its "final frequency" post-overclock would be incredibly useful.

I found that enabling APCI2 (High Performance Event Timer), is critical for keeping the clocks on Core i7 CPUs accurate.
    Without it turned on, the multiplier jumps around crazily, but with it on, the multiplier reading is solid and the clock frequency only jitters very slightly according to fractional variations in the base clock.

Stability Stress Test
    Now its time to check your overclocking for stability; the following are recommended software to use to test your overclocked i7.
    Prime95
    OCCT

Thermal monitoring software;
    CoreTemp
    RealTemp
    Everest
    HWMonitor

OC Jedi Master

Status

Last Online
    • Deton's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Lian Li A70F
      • PSU:
      • Cooling:
      • Custom H20 setup.
      • Sound:
      • Onboard
      • Monitor:
      • ViewSonic VX2435
      • Win 7 - 64bit
    Thanks

Default Turn It Up Another Notch

I wouldnt recommend you to try this if you are on air cooler, at least youre on water cooling or your processor will cry for help or the Turbo wont active if your air cooler under its cooling power.

Now enable Turbo Mode and pump the CPU & QPI/DRAM Core up to 1.4125v, dont forget to run Prime95 again to check the stability.
    Notice: your result might be different due to each chip (processor) behave differently; you might need more voltage or less.
    With the Bclk at 200 and with the Turbo kick in then processor will run at 4.2Ghz with HyperThread (8 cores), thats one fast and smooth performance rig.

And don't forget to do stability test for this setting as well.

OC Jedi Master

Status

Last Online
    • Deton's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Lian Li A70F
      • PSU:
      • Cooling:
      • Custom H20 setup.
      • Sound:
      • Onboard
      • Monitor:
      • ViewSonic VX2435
      • Win 7 - 64bit
    Thanks

Default Bios Sample Table

The following Bios settins are just sample guidelines. The result may varies for each hardware configuration.

Rampage II Extreme
    Member Benchwarmer Bullydog TechAnalyst Karancho RC
    Processor920 D0:3.8Ghz HT&TURBO920 D0:4.2Ghz HT&TURBO 965EE D0:4.0Ghz HT 920 D0:4.0Ghz HT
    Batch #3841A712  3841A712
    RAM 6Gb OCZ Platinum 1600Mhz 6Gb Team Xtreem 1600Mhz 6Gb OCZ Flex 1866Mhz6GB OCZ Gold 12800C8
    Cooling MethodAirWaterAirAir
    BIOS Version11041206 1406
    Extreme Tweaker    
    Ai OC TunerManualManualManualManual
    OC from CPU Level UpAutoAutogreyed outAuto
    OC from Memory Level UpAutoAutoAutoAuto
    CPU Ratio Settings 19.0213020
    CPU Turbo Power Limit EnabledEnabledDisabled 
    BCLK Freq 200200134200
    PCI-E Freq 100100100100
    DRAM DDR3-1603MhzDDR3-1603MhzDDR3-1600Mhz
    UCLK 3208MhzAutoAutoAuto
    DRAM Timing Control Manual set to 8-8-8-20Manual set to 8-8-8-20Manual 9-9-9Manual 8-8-8-24
    EPU II Phase Control Full PhaseFull PhaseFull PhaseFull Phase
    Load-Line Calibration AutoEnabledEnabledEnabled
    CPU Differential Amplitude AutoAutoAutoAuto
    Extreme OV EnabledDisabledDisabledEnabled
    CPU Voltage 1.351.2751.421.225v
    CPU PLL Voltage AutoAutoAuto1.82917
    QPI/DRAM Core Voltage AutoAutoAuto1.250
    IOH - PCIE - ICH - PCIE AutoAutoAutoAuto
    DRAM Buss Voltage 1.656811.656811.651.64356
    CPU Spread Spectrum AutoAutoDisabledDisabled
    PCIE Spread Spectrum AutoAutoDisabledDisabled
    CPU Clock Skew AutoAutoAutoAuto
    IOH Clock Skew AutoAutoAutoAuto
    Advanced(CPU Configuration)    
    C1E Support DisabledDisabledDisabledDisabled
    Hardware Pref. EnabledEnabledEnabledEnabled
    Ajacent Cache Line Pref. EnabledEnabledEnabled 
    Intel Virtual Tech. EnabledEnabledDisabledEnabled
    CPU TM Function EnabledEnabledDisabledDisabled
    Execute Disabled Bit EnabledEnabledDisabledEnabled
    Intel HT Tech. EnabledDisabledEnabledEnabled
    SpeedStep EnabledDisabledDisabled
    Turbo Enabled Disabled
    Active Processor Cores AllAllAllAll
    A20M DisabledDisabledDisabledDisabled
    Intel C-State Tech. DisabledDisabledDisabledDisabled
    Power     
    Suspend Mode AutoAuto Auto
    Repost Video On S3 Resume NoNo No
    ACPI 2.0 Support DisabledDisabled Disabled
    ACPI APIC Support EnabledEnabled Enabled

P6T Deluxe
    MemberDeton Neo83 Anti5580 ZeroChill
    Processor920 C0:4.0Ghz HT&TURBO 920 D0:4.1Ghz HT 920 D0:4.0Ghz HT&TURBO 920 D0:4.2Ghz HT
    Batch #   3849B018
    RAM 6Gb Corsair Dominator 1600Mhz 6Gb OCZ 1333Mhz 6Gb Corsair Dominator 6Gb Corsair Dominator
    Cooling MethodWater Air WaterAir
    Board Version 1  22
    BIOS Version1504 504610
    Ai Tweaker    
    Ai Overclock Tuner X.M.P.8-8-8-24 9-9-9X.M.PX.M.P
    CPU Ratio Setting Auto212021
    Intel SpeedStep Tech enableddisabledenableddisabled
    Intel Turbo Mode Techenableddisableddisableddisabled
    Bclk Frequency200195200200
    PCIE Frequency100100100100
    DRAM FrequencyDDR3-1603MhzDDR3-1330MhzDDR3-1603MhzDDR3-1603Mhz
    UNCLK Frequency3208MhzAuto3208Mhz3208Mhz
    QPI Link Data Rate7218MT/sAuto7218MT/s7218MT/s
    CPU Voltage1.4251.251.26251.275
    CPU PLL Voltage1.96Auto1.80auto
    QPI/DRAM Core Voltage1.3875Auto1.201.35
    IOH VoltageAuto1.31.24auto
    IOH PCIE VoltageAutoAutoAutoauto
    ICH VoltageAuto1.31.10auto
    ICH PCIE VoltageAutoAutoAutoauto
    DRAM Bus Voltage1.661.651.661.66
    DRAM DATA REF Voltage on CHAAutoAuto AutoAuto
    DRAM CTRL REF Voltage on CHAAutoAutoAutoAuto
    DRAM DATA REF Voltage on CHBAutoAutoAutoAuto
    DRAM CTRL REF Voltage on CHBAutoAutoAutoAuto
    DRAM DATA REF Voltage on CHCAutoAutoAutoAuto
    DRAM CTRL REF Voltage on CHCAutoAutoAutoAuto
    Load-Line CalibrationEnabledEnabledEnabledEnabled
    CPU Differential Amplitude800mVAuto800mV800mV
    CPU Clock SkewAutoAutoAutoAuto
    CPU Spread SpectrumDisabledDisabledDisabledAuto
    IOH Clock SkewAutoAutoAutoAuto
    PCIE Spread SpectrumDisabledDisabledDisabledAuto
    Advanced    
    CPU Ratio SettingAuto21Auto21
    C1E SupportDisabledDisabledDisabledDisabled
    Hardware PrefetcherEnabledEnabledEnabledEnabled
    Adjacent Cache Line PrefetchEnabledEnabledEnabledEnabled
    Intel Virtualization TechDisabledEnabledDisabledDisabled
    CPU TM FunctionDisabledDisabledDisabledDisabled
    Execute Disable BitEnabledDisabledEnabledEnabled
    Intel HT TechnologyEnabledEnabledEnabledEnabled
    Active Processor CoresAllAllAllAll
    A20MDisabledDisabledDisabledDisabled
    Intel SpeedStep TechEnabledDisabledEnabledDisabled
    Intel Turbo Mode TechEnabledDisabledEnabledDisabled
    Intel C-STATE Tech DisabledDisabledDisabledDisabled
    Power    
    Suspend ModeAuto  Auto
    Repost Video on S3 ResumeYes  Yes
    ACPI 2.0 SupportEnabled  Enabled
    ACPI APIC SupportEnabled  Enabled

EVGA CLASSIFIED
    MemberBullydog
    Processor920 D0:4.2Ghz HT&TURBO
    Batch # 
    RAM 6Gb Team Xtreem 1866Mhz
    Cooling MethodWater
    Board Version
    BIOS VersionS61A (date: 8/25/2009)
    Voltage Control  
    eVGA Vdroop control Without Vdroop
    CPU VTT VOLTAGE +175mV
    CPU PLL VCORE 1.8
    IOH PLL VCORE 1.8
    QPI PLL VCORE 1.1
    DIMM VCORE 1.65
    DIMM DQ REF +0mV
    IOH VCORE 1.10
    ICH VCORE AUTO
    VTT PWM FREQ 250KHZ
    CPU PWM FREQ 800KHZ
    CPU IMPEDENCE AUTO
    QPI SIGNAL COMPENSATION AUTO
    OVERCLOCK MENU 
    CPU CLOCK RATIO X20
    CPU HOST FREQUENCY 200
    MCH STRAP 1600MHZ
    CPU UNCORE FREQUENCY 3205MHZ
    CPU CLOCK SKEW 0ps
    SPREAD SPECTRUM DISABLED
    PCI-E 100
    OC RECOVERY ENABLED

P6X58D
    Member4Ham Deton BillyMako
    Processor920 D0:4.0Ghz HT&TURBO 920 C0:4.2Ghz HT 950 D0: 4GHz
    Batch #  
    RAM 6Gb G.Skill 1600Mhz 12Gb OCZ Flex EX 2133Mhz 12GB Corsair Vengenance
    Cooling MethodDominon ALC Custom H20 H70
    Board Version 11 
    BIOS Version02.61 
    Ai Tweaker   
    Ai Overclock Tuner ManualManual Manual
    CPU Ratio Setting Auto2121
    Intel SpeedStep Tech enableddisabledenabled
    Intel Turbo Mode Techenableddisabledenabled
    Bclk Frequency192200191
    PCIE Frequency100105100
    DRAM FrequencyDDR3-1539MhzDDR3-2000MhzDDR3-1523MHz
    UNCLK Frequency3079Mhz3208Mhz
    QPI Link Data RateAuto7218MT/sAuto
    CPU Voltage1.251.441.25
    CPU PLL VoltageAuto1.901.80
    QPI/DRAM Core Voltage1.301.59Auto
    IOH VoltageAuto Auto
    IOH PCIE VoltageAuto Auto
    ICH VoltageAuto Auto
    ICH PCIE VoltageAuto Auto
    DRAM Bus Voltage1.661.661.50
    DRAM DATA REF Voltage on CHAAuto0.505Auto
    DRAM CTRL REF Voltage on CHAAuto0.505Auto
    DRAM DATA REF Voltage on CHBAuto0.505Auto
    DRAM CTRL REF Voltage on CHBAuto0.505Auto
    DRAM DATA REF Voltage on CHCAuto0.505Auto
    DRAM CTRL REF Voltage on CHCAuto0.505Auto
    Load-Line CalibrationEnabledEnabledEnabled
    CPU Differential AmplitudeAuto800mVAuto
    CPU Clock SkewAutoAutoAuto
    CPU Spread SpectrumDisabledDisabledDisabled
    IOH Clock SkewAutoAutoAuto
    PCIE Spread SpectrumDisabledDisabledDisabled
    Advanced   
    CPU Ratio SettingAuto2121
    C1E SupportDisabledDisabled
    Hardware PrefetcherEnabledEnabled
    Adjacent Cache Line PrefetchEnabledEnabled
    Intel Virtualization TechDisabledDisabled
    CPU TM FunctionDisabledDisabled
    Execute Disable BitEnabledEnabled
    Intel HT TechnologyEnabledEnabled
    Active Processor CoresAllAllAll
    A20MDisabledDisabled
    Intel SpeedStep TechEnabledDisabled
    Intel Turbo Mode TechEnabledDisabled
    Intel C-STATE Tech DisabledDisabled
    Power   
    Suspend ModeAutoAuto
    Repost Video on S3 ResumeYesYes
    ACPI 2.0 SupportEnabledEnabled
    ACPI APIC SupportEnabledEnabled

Sabretooth X58
    Membergutterputt1
    AI XMP (9-9-9-24) 
    CPU auto
    Intel speed step enabled
    Intel turbo disabled
    Xtreme phase auto
    BCLK freq. 191
    PCIE freq. 100
    Dram Freq. 1149
    Uclk freq. Auto
    QPI link data rate 6893
    Asus 3rd Asus
    CPU voltage manual
    CPU voltage 1.25
    CPU PLL volt. auto
    QPI/Dram core 1.3
    ICH volt auto
    ICH PCIE volt auto
    Dram bus voltage 1.5
    Dram data ref. volt auto
    dram ctrl ref. volt auto
    Dram data ref. volt auto
    dram ctrl ref. volt auto
    Dram data ref. volt auto
    dram ctrl ref. volt auto
    Load line calibration auto
    CPU differential AMP auto
    CPU clock skew auto
    CPU spread spectrum auto
    IOH clock skew auto
    PCIE spread spectrum auto
    Advanced  
    Cpu rating setting auto
    CIE support disabled
    Adjacent cache line enabled
    MPS modern order in 
    Intel Virtual Tech enabled
    CPU TM function enabled
    executive disable bit enabled
    Intel HT tech disabled
    active processor cores all
    A20M disabled
    Intel speedstep tech enabled
    Intel turbo mode disabled
    Intel c-state tech. disabled
    Power  
    Suspend auto
    repost video on s3 resume yes
    ACPI 2.0 support enabled
    ACPI APIC support enabled

13. The following users thank 3 For this above post:

4hams (17-10-2010), alan1476 (26-02-2011), Dougofthenorth (19-06-2009)

OC Jedi Master

Status

Last Online
    • Deton's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Lian Li A70F
      • PSU:
      • Cooling:
      • Custom H20 setup.
      • Sound:
      • Onboard
      • Monitor:
      • ViewSonic VX2435
      • Win 7 - 64bit
    Thanks

Default Temperature

MEMBERBULLYDOGDETON Karancho RC ZeroChill
    CPU920 D0 920 C0 920 D0920 D0
    OC 4.2Ghz 4.2Ghz 4.0Ghz 4.2ghz
    Vcore1.275v 1.44v 1.225v 1.275v
    HT enable enable enable enable
    TURBO enableenable disabledisable
    COOLING METHOD Water Water Air Air
    SPECS HeatKiller 3.0, Feser360, MCR220,MCP655, EK4870X2Swiftech Apogee GTZ, MCR220 & MCR320, MCP655, XSPC Bay Res Noctura NH-U12PThermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme RT 1366: dual-fan push/pull using Noiseblocker M12-P @ 1000-2000 rpm
    No. OF LOOP 1 1  
    AMBIENT 24C21C26C28.4C
    CORE IDLE41c38-42C42C43-45C
    CPU 27C36C42C
    CORE LOAD78-79c62-78C66-72C79-83C
    CPU 62C55C77C

*** Thank you to all members for submitted the temperature reading.***

Load temps were taking during 5 minutes IntelBurn Test and these figures might not 100% accurate.
    They are just reference guideline to give you the idea how hot the OCed i7 will be, so make sure you have a good cooler before you consider overclock it.

15. The following user thanks Deton For this above post:

Dougofthenorth (19-06-2009)

OC Jedi Master

Status

Last Online
    • Deton's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Lian Li A70F
      • PSU:
      • Cooling:
      • Custom H20 setup.
      • Sound:
      • Onboard
      • Monitor:
      • ViewSonic VX2435
      • Win 7 - 64bit
    Thanks

Default Bios Sample

Rampage III Extreme
    Member alan1476
    Processor980X D0:4.1Ghz HT
    Batch # 
    RAM 6Gb Dominator GT 1600Mhz
    Cooling MethodWater
    BIOS Version 
    Extreme Tweaker 
    Sync ModeDisabled
    Ai OC TunerManual
    OC from CPU Level UpAuto
    2D Performance Booster Disabled
    CPU Ratio Settings 31
    CPU Turbo Power Limit Enabled
    BCLK Freq 133
    PCI-E Freq 100
    DRAM Auto
    UCLK Auto
    QPI Link Data RateAuto
    DRAM Timing Control Auto
    CPU Differential AmplitudeAuto
    CPU Clock SkewAuto
    IOH Clock SkewAuto
    Extreme Engine Digi 
    Digi+ PWR ModeT-Balanced
    PWM Volt ControlAuto
    Load-Line Calibration Auto
    CPU Voltage OCPEnabled
    CPU PWM FrequencyAuto
    Extreme OV Disabled
    Extreme OCAuto
    CPU Voltage Auto 1.349v
    CPU PLL Voltage Auto 1.812
    QPI/DRAM Core Voltage Auto 1.283
    DRAM Buss Voltage Auto 1.601
    IOH VoltageAuto 1.111
    IOH PCIE VoltageAuto 1.508
    ICH VoltageAuto 1.111
    ICH PCIE Voltage Auto
    CPU Spread Spectrum Auto
    PCIE Spread Spectrum Auto

Advanced(CPU Configuration) 
    CPU Ratio Setting31
    C1E Support Disabled
    Hardware Pref. Disabled
    Ajacent Cache Line Pref. Enabled
    MPS and ACPI MADT orderingModern ordering
    Intel Virtual Tech.Disabled
    CPU TM Function Disabled
    Execute Disabled Bit Enabled
    Intel HT Tech. Enabled
    Active Processor CoresAll
    SpeedStepDisabled
    Intel C-STATE TechDisabled
    A20M Disabled

Power  
    Suspend Mode Auto
    Repost Video On S3 Resume No
    ACPI 2.0 Support Enabled
    ACPI APIC Support Enabled
    EuP ReadyDisabled

OC Droid

Status

Last Online
    01-09-2014 @ 10:27
    CPU: Core i7 3930K
    M/B: ASRock X79 Extreme9
    RAM: 64GBs Kingston Beast 2133MHz
    GPU: Two EVGA GTX 690s in Quad SLI
    • Doctor_Death's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Corsair 900D
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX1200i
      • Cooling:
      • Complete system cooled by EK Water Blocks
      • Sound:
      • Creative Sound Core 3D Audio 7.1
      • Monitor:
      • Dell U3011 30" 2560 x 1600 Res
      • Win 7 Ultimate 64Bit
      • Misc:
      • Asus Blu-Ray, Asus 24X DVD Burner, Max Mechanicalkeyboard / Razer Abyssus Mouse / Razer eXact Mat with wrist rest.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 1,551 Posts
    Level completed: 0%,
    Points required for next Level: 0
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Overall activity: 4.0%

Deton, I think you forgot to mention for 920s and 940s , people with 965 Extremes will not be able to use this will they ?
    2nd system

MSI Z87 Gaming, 4770K Two MSI GTX780s, 16GBs 2133MHz, Corsair 900D, Seasonic X1250W, 360 Rad, Koolance 380i CPU block

3rd system

Intel X79 motherboard, 3930K, Boreas, VisionTek 480GB, WD 750GB, 32GBs 1866MHz, Two EVGA GTX770s, OCZ 1250W, 360 Rad, Swiftech CPU Block

OC Jedi Master

Status

Last Online
    • Deton's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Lian Li A70F
      • PSU:
      • Cooling:
      • Custom H20 setup.
      • Sound:
      • Onboard
      • Monitor:
      • ViewSonic VX2435
      • Win 7 - 64bit
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor_Death View Post
    Deton, I think you forgot to mention for 920s and 940s , people with 965 Extremes will not be able to use this will they ?
    Well anyone owns i7 can jump in, I don't want to specific the processor version here. As you know the new i7 lineup are coming out.

920/940 are the same chip, except 965 have upwards multiplier and faster QIP.

I'm sure 965 owners or any other X58 board owners can use this guide are guide-line as well.
    Most 965 are run at slow Bclk and higher multiplier because they can easily achieve higher overclocking.

So the 4Ghz club is slightly different from the Max Clubs, no dedicated board here.
    I'm expecting all PureOC Core i7 owners to jump on board here. Wanna to draw more member and traffic to PureOC? Then post, make this thread bigger and don't forget to add on some tags to this thread.

Core Member

Status

Last Online
    06-10-2014 @ 05:43
    CPU: 3930k
    M/B: Rampage IV Extreme
    RAM: Dominator 1866mhz
    GPU: EVGA GTX780ti x2 SC
    • bullydog's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Corsair 800D
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX1200
      • Cooling:
      • Swiftech Apogee HD, MCP655 x2 + AirPlex Modularity 480
      • Sound:
      • Sound Blaster Z
      • Monitor:
      • Dell 2408WFP-HC
      • Win7 x64
    Thanks
    Level completed: 54%,
    Points required for next Level: 368
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 368
    Overall activity: 0%

Well done Deton, you did it again!
    Very informative ... sufficient information for i7 newbies

OC Jedi Knight

Status

Last Online
    16-10-2014 @ 09:56
    CPU: Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.6 GHz
    M/B: ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z
    RAM: 16GB G.Skill RipJaws DDR3 2133 @ 11-11-11-30
    GPU: 2x MSI R6970 Lightning II (Crossfire)
    • shattered.likeness's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • SilverStone Raven RV03
      • PSU:
      • SilverStone Strider ST1200-G
      • Cooling:
      • Custom Water Cooling: - MIPS ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z fullcover block - Heatkiller CPU 3.0 1155 (Custom Chrome Plated by RRTech) - Magicool 180 w/ 2x SilverStone SST-AP181 - Custom Modded Coolit Systems Freezone Elite /w NoiseBlocker NB-BlackSilentPro PL-2 -BitsPower Water Tank Multi-Z 80mm re
      • Monitor:
      • 3x 22" Acer V223w
      • Windows 7 Ultimate x64
      • Misc:
      • All tubing wrapped in Kobra 3/8" Carbon Fiber sleeving, and Primochill Gloss Red Anti-Kink Coils
    Thanks
    Level completed: 1%,
    Points required for next Level: 695
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 695

Thanks Deton. And thanks to your guide, I am looking to upgrade to the i7 as well now.
    New System Specs Listed

This is my invitation link for minus.com: http://min.us/rDfDx3F.
    [10GB online storage (up to 50GB by inviting others)]

Rat

Status

Last Online
    20-09-2009 @ 02:02
    CPU: i7 920 @ 3.6 Ghz
    M/B: Rampage extreme II
    RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3 1704Mhz 4-8-8-20-T1
    GPU: BFG280 OCX x2
    • Rat's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Armor+Lcs
      • PSU:
      • Thermaltake 1200 Tough Power
      • Cooling:
      • Swiftech GTZ+Fusion block
      • Sound:
      • X-FI Titanium
      • Monitor:
      • LG 24" full HD HDCP
      • Vista x64/Windows7x64
    Thanks
    Level completed: 91%,
    Points required for next Level: 27
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 27
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Overall activity: 13.0%

They will they just also have the luxury of an unlocked multiplier.
    Rat

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 177 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 11 51 101 ... LastLast

Ads