• Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit
    Thanks
    Level completed: 19%,
    Points required for next Level: 162
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 162
    Overall activity: 6.0%

Default Building Computer

This is my first time ever using this forum but it came recommended to me through my step-dad who has perused this site before. As the title indicates, I do plan on building my own computer. I have no skills or knowledge for this particular hobby except for what I have taught myself. I have since hit a blank wall that seems to me to be insurmountable on my own so I have decided to present myself before others who share a passion for what I am getting myself into, PC building, yet have the knowledge I lack.
    I currently only have the tower for the computer I would like to build. The tower I own is an Cooler Master HAF 932. I chose this tower because it is a full tower and allows me the wiggle room building my first computer desires. I also chose this case because of its style, the ability to customize the tower extensively and because it was on sale for 50% off. I am a bargain shopper. I have glanced around the web trying to see if others have built anything similar to what I have in my mind as my ideal computer yet I continue to come up empty handed. The next step would be, I suppose, to tell you my dearest ambition for the computer I would like to own.
    I don't know if the best idea, when trying to build a computer, is to get the tower and then pick the GPU that is most preferential to the individual. Unfortunately, if this is the not the case, it is still what I have done. The GPU in question that I have chosen is a Radeon HD 5850 1GB. (Link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814150494) Unfortunately, once I chose this GPU I hit the previously mentioned wall. At this point, I turn to you, my enlightened enthusiasts, with my question. "Given the tower in the example above, and adding in the factor of the GPU desired, what Motherboard/CPU would be desired?"
    I don't understand exactly what the PCI slots equal in relation to the card and other peripherals and what exactly do I need to match in regards to the CPU socket and FSB. If these are moot points please still explain to me if you have the patience so that I can still gain some learning from this process.
    My eventual goal, if the information can be eventually found, is to create this computer as a first-time computer builder and to, in my geekness, video record the whole process and explain my thoughts and feelings on why I chose to do what I did and to publish this to the internet in the hopes it helps others like myself.
    I understand as well, as I wind down this narrative, that I ask a lot and that it may be that your drowsing off after reading this, but any and all help is truly appreciated because I do love the PC as a whole and desire to become more involved in the entire process with a hands-on approach. For some, there are cars, for others, there are cards, for me, there is PC. Thank you in advance for any and all help!

OC Jedi Knight

Status

Last Online
    13-10-2011 @ 20:42
    CPU: Phenom II X4 925
    M/B: Asus M5A97
    RAM: 4 GB Mushkin DDR3 1600
    GPU: GTX 460
    Thanks
    Level completed: 44%,
    Points required for next Level: 282
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 282
    Overall activity: 24.0%

Wall of text alert!

Just kidding, welcome to Pure Overclock!

What were you planning to do with your PC? Did you want to overclock? Good choice on chassis, by the way. That is a very good one, and getting it 50% off makes it even better.

Were you partial to Intel or AMD? Do you play games? Do you edit videos? What's your budget? How often do you upgrade? Would you go down the path of 2 GPUs in the future? What's your budget? Were there other parts you had in mind already? How about the budget?

I can't quite tell whether you're stressing, but think of building a PC to be like playing with Legos, but the legos are sensitive to static electricity and are much more expensive.

Banned

Status

Last Online
    02-07-2013 @ 02:04
    CPU: Intel Core i7 3930K @ 5GHz
    M/B: ASROCK X79 Extreme 6
    RAM: 16G G.Skill Trident 2400MHz
    GPU: 2 x Radeon 2G 7970 Liquid cooled
    • Drdeath's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Phobya CooliT TestBennch
      • PSU:
      • Nexus 1100W
      • Cooling:
      • Custom water. Apogee XT Rev 1, Thermachill TA120.3 plus 120.2, Swiftec Micro res, MCP655
      • Sound:
      • OB
      • Monitor:
      • Viewsonic 27"
      • Win7 64bit
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 880 Posts
    Level completed: 72%,
    Points required for next Level: 311
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 311
    Overall activity: 99.9%

Publish all thew hardware you have(mouse, monitor, case, ect.....), your budget and the applications you run. Once all these are posted, educated suggestions can be made as to quad core, 6 core... ect.....

Check my 2 stickies out.......

How to select hardware for new build(for dummies)
    http://forums.pureoverclock.com/showthread.php?t=9541

How to build a computer(for dummies)
    How to build a computer(for dummies)

Banned

Status

Last Online
    25-02-2016 @ 12:04
    CPU: Core i7 3930K
    M/B: ASRock X79 Extreme9
    RAM: 64GBs Kingston Beast 2133MHz
    GPU: Two EVGA GTX 690s in Quad SLI
    • Doctor_Death's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Corsair 900D
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX1200i
      • Cooling:
      • Complete system cooled by EK Water Blocks
      • Sound:
      • Creative Sound Core 3D Audio 7.1
      • Monitor:
      • Dell U3011 30" 2560 x 1600 Res
      • Win 7 Ultimate 64Bit
      • Misc:
      • Asus Blu-Ray, Asus 24X DVD Burner, Max Mechanicalkeyboard / Razer Abyssus Mouse / Razer eXact Mat with wrist rest.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 1,551 Posts
    Level completed: 0%,
    Points required for next Level: 0
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%

Welcome to Pure OC!

Who's your step dad, do you know what forum name he used ?

OC Jedi Padawan

Status

Last Online
    06-02-2016 @ 23:51
    CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1055T@4GHz
    M/B: ASUS Crosshair V Formula
    RAM: 4 Gigs Mushkin 1600MHz
    GPU: VisionTek AMD Radeon 6970
    • smduff's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Danger Den Tower 21 Black Series
      • PSU:
      • Sentey GOLD 1000W
      • Cooling:
      • Custom Water- EK Supreme HF EK X360 Rad DD 5970 Block MCP655 6X Ultra Kaze 3000rpm 133.4cfm
      • Monitor:
      • LG Flatron 19"
      • Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
    Thanks
    Level completed: 12%,
    Points required for next Level: 705
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 705

Welcome to PureOC Peonage

Status

Last Online
    10-10-2011 @ 22:45
    CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 3.2Ghz
    M/B: 890FXA-UD5
    RAM: 4 x 4GB G.Skill Ripjaw
    GPU: Sapphire 5870 (x2) 4GB Crossfire
    • Peonage's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • CoolerMaster HAF 932
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 850W
      • Cooling:
      • 1 x 120mm rear fan 1 x 200mm top fan 1 x 200mm front fan
      • Sound:
      • Realtek ALC889
      • Monitor:
      • 23in.1920x1080 HD
    Thanks

I believe the easiest way for me to answer the questions would be to devote a partial part to each person, but, since I don't understand how to do quotes from each question, people will have to decipher which post I am responding to, not very different from trying to decide how abstract a pre-schoolers finger paint picture truly is.

To Logan:
    It makes me feel much better to hear that the tower was a good choice. When I bought it I still did not truly understand its size or dimensions but knew that the bigger the item the better it would be for me when it came to fully assemble my monstrosity. I would love to learn more about overclocking but I have never done that before so it is decidedly in the future of my new PC to attempt. As for AMD vs. Intel, I am partial to AMD's prices but am also partial to Intel because I know the statistics better so I feel safer with those products. I would prefer, I suppose, to use AMD because of the prices though my budget by no means, to me is cheap. The budget I have in mind is $1,000,000,000.00-1,200,000,000.00 Monopoly dollars which I believe equates to roughly $1,000-1,200 USD (sorry but I had to reference Monopoly, one of the greatest, albeit frustrating, boardgames ever made!).
    I LOVE PC gaming! So yes, I will be playing games and I will be playing them extensively. For video editing I have Vegas Pro 9 but I don't have the computer currently to utilize this powerful program so I would love for my new computer to do video editing. I don't upgrade at all because I have never had the ability to. With the new PC I will be upgrading when needed but I will be returning to these boards on that date because, unsurprisingly, I am clueless to the method. The path of the two, three or even four GPU will be trodden by this builder. I currently only had plans for buying one GPU at the start with the option to add AT LEAST one more addition GPU within the year if needed.

The parts I have in mind are:

RAM= G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2GBx2) Link=(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231277) I was thinking starting with 4GB and adding another 4GB within the month. I don't know if that efficient or not so please clue me in to that.

HDD= WD 500GB Link= (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136497)

PSU= Corsair 750W Crossfire Ready Link=(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139006) I don't know much about PSU's but this one said i7 ready. Does that mean that it will not work with an AMD? I don't think it does but owning a useless product is money wasted.

CPU= AMD Phenom II X4 Black Edition 3.2Ghz Link=(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103808) I don't know if six cores at this time is currently better than four cores but I saw some marks on the Phenom II X4 B.E. and I liked what I saw because keep in mind this is not designed to be a computer capable of NASA quality programs.

Sound= Omega Claro Plus+7.1 Link= (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...E16829271003)I was thinking of going a little more high end but I admit I have ZERO knowledge of sound cards so I just picked the one that had the best ratings, which, I know, is not always the best idea.

As for any other items like the drives or floppy or what have you, do those matter as much as the GPU, CPU etc.. or can I just buy whichever I think sounds delicious and install those?

I definitely am a little stressed because I want it to be perfect and to be as painless as possible. At the same time though, I believe it best to gain knowledge and insight before blindly blundering into the abyss and hoping for the best (sans the sound card of course). I do understand that static electricity is the bane of PC components so I would be using a static remover (I don't remember exactly what they are called) during the installation process to protect the equipment from me. The Budget: When it comes to my budget I did state that the range was $1,000-1,200 but also understand that while I am not saying money is an issue, I do believe I may go a pinch(foot, yard, mile etc...) over the limit. So if everything is a little over the limit it's not an issue, though, if you do see I have chosen something that is great, though expensive, and I could get a similar product for less, by all means I would go with the cheaper product. I did mention in my first post that I am a bargain shopper!

Drdeath: One of the first things I did upon visiting this site was to bookmark your "How to build a computer" as well as peruse the "How to select hardware for new build."

Dr_Death: I don't believe he ever actually posted anything on this site but used it to reference his own thoughts and beliefs about particular PC items and such. I don't truly know when, how often or why he did/does visit the site but he told me to come here before I made any mistakes!

Once again I have ran over my word limit I self-imposed, because given the chance, I would meander away all day typing because I love to write. Sorry for the length of this post as well as the amount of links but I do believe it is extremely important that you see what products I think may or may not be essential to this build and that you can get a feel for how I view/think about the products. Thanks again for the help!

OC Jedi Padawan

Status

Last Online
    06-02-2016 @ 23:51
    CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1055T@4GHz
    M/B: ASUS Crosshair V Formula
    RAM: 4 Gigs Mushkin 1600MHz
    GPU: VisionTek AMD Radeon 6970
    • smduff's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Danger Den Tower 21 Black Series
      • PSU:
      • Sentey GOLD 1000W
      • Cooling:
      • Custom Water- EK Supreme HF EK X360 Rad DD 5970 Block MCP655 6X Ultra Kaze 3000rpm 133.4cfm
      • Monitor:
      • LG Flatron 19"
      • Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
    Thanks
    Level completed: 12%,
    Points required for next Level: 705
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 705

You mention having 3 or 4 GPU's maybe in the future but you don't mention a motherboard will having just two GPU's in CF do? I would also suggest going to an X6 CPU rather than the X4 965. Everything else looks pretty good to me, does the 1200 include the price of the chassis or is it 1200 with out?

Status

Last Online
    15-04-2016 @ 20:16
    Thanks
    Level completed: 99%,
    Points required for next Level: 3
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 3
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Overall activity: 28.0%

Welcome Peonage to PureOC.

You've come to "The Best" place for what you're seeking. As you've seen already,
    plenty of knowledgeable help.

Try not to stress, take slow and enjoy ride and the wealth of info & help that is here.

OC Jedi Knight

Status

Last Online
    Thanks

At which resolution do you plan to play games [required info for GPU selection]?

RAM= G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2GBx2) Link=(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231277) I was thinking starting with 4GB and adding another 4GB within the month. I don't know if that efficient or not so please clue me in to that.
    If that is your plan, why not start with a 2x4GB kit?

Not a bad product, but I'd get

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822152185

instead. It's bigger, and faster.

PSU= Corsair 750W Crossfire Ready Link=(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139006) I don't know much about PSU's but this one said i7 ready. Does that mean that it will not work with an AMD? I don't think it does but owning a useless product is money wasted.
    It' just a marketing thing, like a car being "Road ready", or Hot pockets being "Microwave ready". Corsair makes solid products, good call on that one.

CPU= AMD Phenom II X4 Black Edition 3.2Ghz Link=(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103808) I don't know if six cores at this time is currently better than four cores but I saw some marks on the Phenom II X4 B.E. and I liked what I saw because keep in mind this is not designed to be a computer capable of NASA quality programs.
    Go with an X6. Best value is the 1055T. Skip the sound card, use the difference to get the X6 and a good cooler to overclock it.

Sound= Omega Claro Plus+7.1 Link= (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829271003)I was thinking of going a little more high end but I admit I have ZERO knowledge of sound cards so I just picked the one that had the best ratings, which, I know, is not always the best idea.
    You don't need sound cards anymore - onboard is much improved over what it was 5 years ago. I'd save the money on that. It's a waste.

Banned

Status

Last Online
    02-07-2013 @ 02:04
    CPU: Intel Core i7 3930K @ 5GHz
    M/B: ASROCK X79 Extreme 6
    RAM: 16G G.Skill Trident 2400MHz
    GPU: 2 x Radeon 2G 7970 Liquid cooled
    • Drdeath's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Phobya CooliT TestBennch
      • PSU:
      • Nexus 1100W
      • Cooling:
      • Custom water. Apogee XT Rev 1, Thermachill TA120.3 plus 120.2, Swiftec Micro res, MCP655
      • Sound:
      • OB
      • Monitor:
      • Viewsonic 27"
      • Win7 64bit
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 880 Posts
    Level completed: 72%,
    Points required for next Level: 311
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 311

Quote Originally Posted by smduff View Post
    You mention having 3 or 4 GPU's maybe in the future but you don't mention a motherboard will having just two GPU's in CF do? I would also suggest going to an X6 CPU rather than the X4 965. Everything else looks pretty good to me, does the 1200 include the price of the chassis or is it 1200 with out?
    For gaming, there is not much advantage to a 6 core CPU but new games in the future may benefit from a
    6 core due to multi threading. The 1055T x 6 is only $40 more than the phenom II 965 x 4 so it is good choice like SMDuff suggested. Any 890FX motherboard works with either chip. Look to Asus or Gigabyte for a motherboard.
    Last edited by Drdeath; 08-10-2010 at 14:33.

11. The following user thanks Drdeath For this above post:

Peonage (24-10-2010)

Status

Last Online
    • Peonage's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • CoolerMaster HAF 932
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 850W
      • Cooling:
      • Sound:
      • Realtek ALC889
      • Monitor:
      • 23in.1920x1080 HD
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by smduff View Post
    One of the many main reasons for me creating this current thread is because I desperately need help figuring out the MOBO I need. I don't understand enough about CF to know if two GPU's in CF is good because I have seen random marks around online articles and magazines (sorry for the vague non-reference) that have shown two or three GPU's that give high marks when in SLI or CF but then they will show a single card that will beat two GPU's in CF. I don't understand that which is why I tried to leave my original post vague and open for so that I can make an educated decision later. Originally it was $1,200 with the chassis but currently I want it to be $1,200 w/o the chassis.

Status

Last Online
    • Peonage's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • CoolerMaster HAF 932
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 850W
      • Cooling:
      • Sound:
      • Realtek ALC889
      • Monitor:
      • 23in.1920x1080 HD
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by logan View Post
    At which resolution do you plan to play games [required info for GPU selection]?

If that is your plan, why not start with a 2x4GB kit?

Because I did not think it through! For some reason it never occurred to me to buy it as 2x4GB. When it comes to RAM is there an amount where the higher I go the more negligent it become to have that amount of RAM? Or, can you always just use more RAM?

The GPU I want will go to a max resolution of 2560x1600. One of the original factors when I wanted to choose a GPU was to try and reach this resolution. I currently game at 1440x900 but would prefer to go higher when available.

When you mention getting a X6 and a cooler to skip the sound card, do you mean a cooler for the CPU or do you mean something similar to liquid or fan cooled? If that is a stupid question my apologies. If you do mean a CPU cooler does it ever void a warranty to attach one with different board producers or do they all allow for non-stock coolers to be added. Also, does the cooler mean heatsink or are those different?

Is 750W on this computer sounding reasonable or do I need to go higher because of my hope to expand? Or if I get a good enough GPU can I avoid my expansion for awhile and grab the extra(s) GPU('s) further down the line and grab an upgraded PSU down the road with the GPU('s) or will 750W be sufficient for more than one GPU?

Status

Last Online
    • Peonage's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • CoolerMaster HAF 932
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 850W
      • Cooling:
      • Sound:
      • Realtek ALC889
      • Monitor:
      • 23in.1920x1080 HD
    Thanks

Not a bad product, but I'd get

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822152185

instead. It's bigger, and faster.
    I like thats such a minimal increase in money to double the size while getting more speed out of it. I had a question in regards to HDD's in general. Is there a point where I should consider a SSD as well to compliment the HDD or would it be even more clever to only get SSD's and ignore the HDD's completely? MY final part to this question is are SSD's not advanced enough or just to plain expensive to even consider being apart of the computer without a HDD or to even compliment a HDD?

OC Jedi Knight

Status

Last Online
    Thanks

Basically, for now, 4GB is perfectly fine. You can do 2x4GB and be OK for a long while. I'd say get a single 5850 for now, and pick up another 5850 if/when you go up to another res and your current one cant take it.

About the wattage - I'm not entirely sure. I want to say it'd be ok.

By cooler, I meant for the CPU. Pick up a decent heatsink/fan combo for it so you can overclock it.

By way of boards, check out Asus and Gigabyte 890FX boards on newegg. You should be able to filter them out. Their boards are among the best, and you need 890FX if you want to run crossfire.

Quote Originally Posted by Peonage View Post
    I like thats such a minimal increase in money to double the size while getting more speed out of it. I had a question in regards to HDD's in general. Is there a point where I should consider a SSD as well to compliment the HDD or would it be even more clever to only get SSD's and ignore the HDD's completely? MY final part to this question is are SSD's not advanced enough or just to plain expensive to even consider being apart of the computer without a HDD or to even compliment a HDD?
    Basically, for now, and with your budget, the SSD would complement an HDD. SSDs are quite small. You could get one for a boot drive, they are quite nice, but I'm not an SSD expert.

Status

Last Online
    • Peonage's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • CoolerMaster HAF 932
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 850W
      • Cooling:
      • Sound:
      • Realtek ALC889
      • Monitor:
      • 23in.1920x1080 HD
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Drdeath View Post
    For gaming, there is not much advantage to a 6 core CPU but new games in the future may benefit from a
    6 core due to multi threading. The 1055T x 6 is only $40 more than the phenom II 965 x 4 so it is good choice like SMDuff suggested. Any 890FX motherboard works with either chip. Look to Asus or Gigabyte for a motherboard.
    I took your advice and looked up the MOBO and you mention to look to Asus or Giga and I found this Giga MOBO (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-441-_-Product) I also found this MOBO from ASRock (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-196-_-Product) which happens to be cheaper than the Giga board. Is this due to brand name pricing or does this board not offer enough features compared to the Giga MOBO? Should I save the money in your opinion or just stick to the Giga MOBO. Do you currently own a Giga MOBO and if so how do you find the customer service and QA to be? If something were to happen to a product I buy I prefer to be able to get good, reliable and friendly service if I need it from the manufacturer. Thanks for the insight!

Status

Last Online
    • Peonage's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • CoolerMaster HAF 932
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 850W
      • Cooling:
      • Sound:
      • Realtek ALC889
      • Monitor:
      • 23in.1920x1080 HD
    Thanks

Basically, for now, 4GB is perfectly fine. You can do 2x4GB and be OK for a long while. I'd say get a single 5850 for now, and pick up another 5850 if/when you go up to another res and your current one cant take it.

About the wattage - I'm not entirely sure. I want to say it'd be ok.

By cooler, I meant for the CPU. Pick up a decent heatsink/fan combo for it so you can overclock it.
    I am a little indecisive between 4GB and 8GB. My inner geek screams for the 8GB but my financial doppelgänger is trying to make me go only to 4GB. If the wattage ends up not being enough I could very easily just purchase an upgrade for the PSU. With the heatsink/fan combo don't most boards already include these particular items? If so, are they enough to cover overclocking? If not, when I purchase the additional combo will I be in danger of voiding any warranties for the CPU or the Mobo?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links