motherboards
Arctic
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Recommend a good build (gaming pc) ? I'm very indecisive.

Status

Last Online
    12-04-2011 @ 20:20
    Thanks
    Level completed: 9%,
    Points required for next Level: 183
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 183
    Overall activity: 34.0%

Default Recommend a good build (gaming pc) ? I'm very indecisive.

So guys here's the thing - this will be the first PC I will ever build from scratch and i'll need some help!
    The thing is i've been doing research on parts for the past 3 days or so and there is just SO MUCH to choose from it's absolutely mindboggling. This is terrible for a guy like me who (if you know me) is very indecisive. I just can't pick between anything. I never knew that picking parts would be this difficult. So that's why I really need some help ): I just can't decide over anything

Now my Uses for the PC will be mainly gaming.. I don't really care much for movies or music (although I may listen to music on PC from time to time, gaming is definitely my priority). I won't be running programs like Photoshop very often (or at all for that matter). I'm just trying to build a rig that will give me the biggest bang for my buck.

As for my budget I am willing to spend up to $1000 ~ $1500 on this rig (less is always better though, if it'll run the same or close)

I picked several "builds" for the pc but I end up trashing them each time because I just can't decide what to make ! See I haven't bought a new PC for 8 years and I am really stingy with money so this is very difficult for me- so please make my life a little easier I would really appreciate the help.

Oh and sorry for the huge wall of text .

PS I am situated in the Los Angeles Area

Edit: I just verified my Monitor Brand and it is the vp17 17" LCD monitor hp http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/ca/en...-79802741.html

i think this seems pretty suited for my gaming standards.
    Last edited by beejaycee; 06-01-2011 at 12:22.

Banned

Status

Last Online
    19-07-2013 @ 23:39
    Thanks
    Level completed: 14%,
    Points required for next Level: 430
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 430
    Overall activity: 0%

First, welcome to PureOC. Lots of knowledgeable people around here. I'm sure we can set you up with great info.
    Second, where are you? Useful to know for relevant links. I presume US, if you're listing a budget in dollars.
    Third, if you need a case for this build, how do your tastes run? What pleases you, aesthetically speaking?
    Fourth, which form-factor are you inclined towards? Standard ATX, micro-ATX, ITX, etc.
    Fifth, what kind of games? How powerful do you want to be?

If music is a secondary concern, onboard audio should be fine. So, no need of a sound card. After eight years, I'd replace whatever optical drive you've got. And might as well make everything SATA.

OC Jedi Master

Status

Last Online
    27-02-2014 @ 22:13
    CPU: i7 920, 4.2Ghz HT
    M/B: P6X58D Premium
    RAM: OCZ Flex EX PC3-17000 12GB
    GPU: Asus EAH5870
    • Deton's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Lian Li A70F
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Galaxy Evo 1250W
      • Cooling:
      • Custom H20 setup.
      • Sound:
      • Onboard
      • Monitor:
      • ViewSonic VX2435
      • Win 7 - 64bit
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 1,026 Posts
    Level completed: 36%,
    Points required for next Level: 904
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 904
    Overall activity: 7.0%

Welcome to PUREOC!

AMD build is the most affordable however Intel is realeasing new platform LGA1155 for their new processor Sandy Bridge. These chips are kick ass performance in games unfortunately the release are not until Jan 09 and they are very good price too. So in the mean time I think you should head over our review section and read about the Sandy Bridge platforms to have the idea if this the right build for you or AMD.

You can pick up the part that you like that is fit your budget and post it here then we can tell you our opinion.

One more thing; Is this build a complete build, including everything (keyboard, monitor...etc)?

Also where are you located?

Status

Last Online
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Earthmonger View Post
    First, welcome to PureOC. Lots of knowledgeable people around here. I'm sure we can set you up with great info.
    Second, where are you? Useful to know for relevant links. I presume US, if you're listing a budget in dollars.
    Third, if you need a case for this build, how do your tastes run? What pleases you, aesthetically speaking?
    Fourth, which form-factor are you inclined towards? Standard ATX, micro-ATX, ITX, etc.
    Fifth, what kind of games? How powerful do you want to be?

If music is a secondary concern, onboard audio should be fine. So, no need of a sound card. After eight years, I'd replace whatever optical drive you've got. And might as well make everything SATA.
    Thank you! And I am sure that the people are very knowledgeable just from looking around.

so yes I am in the US
    Yes I do need a case, aesthetics does not matter to me as long as it is good for my computer (airflow, size, etc.)
    Form Factor - I am not sure what this is sorry ! I'm kind of new to this ^^
    As for the games ... I am going to be playing the latest RTS/FPS and probably some WoW (mmorpg) as well. As for Power I just want it to be at the point where everything is running smoothly and well at high graphics settings.

I'm mainly just looking for a computer that will give me good performance for the money I put in

I don't need the best and hottest thing on the market, just things that will work well when put together. I know that the newest hardware is usually priced much higher due to initial demands, So even if the parts are a year or so old what I really care about is performance for price ( not highest performance or lowest price).
    Last edited by beejaycee; 06-01-2011 at 04:26.

Status

Last Online
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deton View Post
    Welcome to PUREOC!

AMD build is the most affordable however Intel is realeasing new platform LGA1155 for their new processor Sandy Bridge. These chips are kick ass performance in games unfortunately the release are not until Jan 09 and they are very good price too. So in the mean time I think you should head over our review section and read about the Sandy Bridge platforms to have the idea if this the right build for you or AMD.

You can pick up the part that you like that is fit your budget and post it here then we can tell you our opinion.

One more thing; Is this build a complete build, including everything (keyboard, monitor...etc)?

Also where are you located?
    That's the thing I can't decide on Intel/Amd its very difficult for me as I am not good at making choices at all.

It will not be a complete build. I already have a keyboard/monitor, etc. and I plan to use those

I believe my monitor is set for 1024x768 Resolution it should be about ~ a 12 inch? maybe 13?

as for location I live in the US
    Last edited by beejaycee; 06-01-2011 at 04:14.

OC Jedi Master

Status

Last Online
    • Deton's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Lian Li A70F
      • PSU:
      • Cooling:
      • Custom H20 setup.
      • Sound:
      • Onboard
      • Monitor:
      • ViewSonic VX2435
      • Win 7 - 64bit
    Thanks

good at least we know what not to including in the build and you're in LA so we can provide you some local links for you.

Most today's affordable graphic cards can handle at least 22" monitor and if your monitor is 14" then it's outdated, it's no good for games any more. 22" monitor is pretty cheap now, so I think you should consider a replacement as well. I also think you do need new OS (operate system) because you're probably using Win98 still.

Ok fellas, hopefully we have enough information to him give a compiled build list for the of $1500 and no more than $2000 if it's not necessary.

We should give him two platform choices AMD and Intel, don't forget to tell him the reason why you pick the particular plaform. He was lost from PC hardware for over 8yrs so let's bring him back to the reality.

Now, just be patient and wait you will receive some inputs soon from the other members.

7. The following user thanks Deton For this above post:

beejaycee (07-01-2011)

Status

Last Online
    Thanks

good at least we know what not to including in the build and you're in LA so we can provide you some local links for you.

Most today's affordable graphic cards can handle at least 22" monitor and if your monitor is 14" then it's outdated, it's no good for games any more. 22" monitor is pretty cheap now, so I think you should consider a replacement as well. I also think you do need new OS (operate system) because you're probably using Win98 still.

Ok fellas, hopefully we have enough information to him give a compiled build list for the of $1500 and no more than $2000 if it's not necessary.

We should give him two platform choices AMD and Intel, don't forget to tell him the reason why you pick the particular plaform. He was lost from PC hardware for over 8yrs so let's bring him back to the reality.

Now, just be patient and wait you will receive some inputs soon from the other members.
    Thanks, however I think $2000 is quite overkill. I would prefer it to be no more than 1500 if possible - Still have to eat somewhat haha

OC Jedi Master

Status

Last Online
    • Deton's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Lian Li A70F
      • PSU:
      • Cooling:
      • Custom H20 setup.
      • Sound:
      • Onboard
      • Monitor:
      • ViewSonic VX2435
      • Win 7 - 64bit
    Thanks

don't worry we can build you a bad a$$ game rig for $1500 or under.

BTW, how fuzzy are you with aesthetics, you like bling or non?

and one more personal question

What's your age group, teen, 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s or grandpa?

don't laugh about the last group we do have some old farts here still alive and kicking with their game rig.

The age will help us to determine your case choices.

Status

Last Online
    Thanks

don't worry we can build you a bad a$$ game rig for $1500 or under.

BTW, how fuzzy are you with aesthetics, you like bling or non?

and one more personal question

What's your age group, teen, 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s or grandpa?

don't laugh about the last group we do have some old farts here still alive and kicking with their game rig.

The age will help us to determine your case choices.
    I'm in early Early 20s

and yeah a bad a$$ case would be nice but I am not much into aesthetics =] the only aesthetic I am looking for is the things I am seeing on the screen. But hey if good looking cases work just as well as bad looking cases and cost ~ the same then I would have no problem with that =]

it's just that Im not sure about computer hardware, but for everything else usually a little sparkle and pizzazz will cost you quite a bit extra.

11. The following user thanks beejaycee For this above post:

Drdeath (06-01-2011)

Banned

Status

Last Online
    25-02-2016 @ 11:04
    CPU: Core i7 3930K
    M/B: ASRock X79 Extreme9
    RAM: 64GBs Kingston Beast 2133MHz
    GPU: Two EVGA GTX 690s in Quad SLI
    • Doctor_Death's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Corsair 900D
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX1200i
      • Cooling:
      • Complete system cooled by EK Water Blocks
      • Sound:
      • Creative Sound Core 3D Audio 7.1
      • Monitor:
      • Dell U3011 30" 2560 x 1600 Res
      • Win 7 Ultimate 64Bit
      • Misc:
      • Asus Blu-Ray, Asus 24X DVD Burner, Max Mechanicalkeyboard / Razer Abyssus Mouse / Razer eXact Mat with wrist rest.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 1,551 Posts
    Level completed: 0%,
    Points required for next Level: 0
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0

Welcome to Pure OC!

With the release of the new Intel Sandy Bridge Chips and the new Asus P67 motherboards you can build a decent system. As far as a GPU the new GTX580 would be your best choice, its fast, runs cool, and can cut though any game out there, but it does run $500, the GTX570 also dose the same thing but we did find that it ran warmer than the 580, but you can find them for $350

A 22" LCD is nice but I have found that a 24" to 28" is beter when gaming, but this is just my own personal opinon, I like the higher resolutions, and would be a great match for either of the new Nvidia GTX GPUs. I would like to add that the GTX580 did run cooler than the new AMD HD6970s.

Banned

Status

Last Online
    Thanks

Okay, I'm back home. Let's see here.

Sandy Bridge would be my choice at this time (socket LGA1155). The problem with Sandy Bridge, however, is that it hasn't come to market yet. In another week or two you'll probably see real market saturation. So if you go with Sandy Bridge, you'll have to wait a little longer. After eight years, a couple weeks won't kill you.

I'd wait for it. Sandy Bridge is putting Intel and AMD's current mid-range (and even some high-end) chips to shame, and, it's really affordable to boot. That doesn't mean we can't compile the rest of the system in the meantime, though, leaving an allowance in the budget for CPU, motherboard, and ram.

So:
    Intel Sandy Bridge 2500k - $220.
    Asus P8P67 motherboard - $160.
    8GB of dual-channel ram - $120. (maybe a bit less)

So, let's reserve $500 for those three core items.

GPU: EVGA 012-P3-1570-AR GTX470 - $360.
    The "superclocked" version of this 570 is just $10 more, but you can easily overclock it yourself for free.
    SSD: Crucial RealSSD C300 64GB. - $120.
    I'm recommending this drive because I have two, am impressed with them, and they're a bargain. Great read speeds. Write speeds aren't as great as, for example, a Vertex 2, but they're still okay.
    HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB - $90.
    Basic Sata HDD. An 'old reliable'.
    CD/DVD: Samsung CD/DVD Burner, OEM. - $18.
    You don't need anything more complicated than this.

PSU: Corsair TX650, 650watt, 80-Plus - $90.
    No frills, solid PSU, enough power for this single-GPU system.
    Case: ThermalTake V5 Black Edition - $60.
    A bargain, not too flashy, painted interior. Not a bad case.

This is a required purchase. Windows XP does not support DirectX 11 for gaming, nor does it have TRIM support for SSDs. You have to upgrade your OS for this build.

LCD Monitor: Asus VH242H, 23.6" LCD Widescreen monitor - $180.
    Decent monitor. Bargain.

And here we are at $1020, not including the $500 reserved for CPU, mobo, and ram.

There are a few other things you will still need, though.
    - A CPU cooler compatible with socket LGA1155. Kind-of optional. The CPU will come with an OEM cooler most of the time, but few ever use it.
    - A quality thermal paste, such as Gelid GC-1, Arctic Silver 5, or Arctic Cooling MX-2.
    - USB Keyboard and Mouse. At least if your current ones are eight years old.

There will likely be a combo deal when Sandy Bridge hits Newegg, which includes the Asus motherboard and the 2500k. So you might save a bit more money there. There is also $30 worth of Mail-In-Rebates related to the list of crap linked above, but I did not factor that into the total (because they are rarely reliable).

If I forgot something, someone will tear me a new one and fix it for you.

Banned

Status

Last Online
    02-07-2013 @ 01:04
    CPU: Intel Core i7 3930K @ 5GHz
    M/B: ASROCK X79 Extreme 6
    RAM: 16G G.Skill Trident 2400MHz
    GPU: 2 x Radeon 2G 7970 Liquid cooled
    • Drdeath's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Phobya CooliT TestBennch
      • PSU:
      • Nexus 1100W
      • Cooling:
      • Custom water. Apogee XT Rev 1, Thermachill TA120.3 plus 120.2, Swiftec Micro res, MCP655
      • Sound:
      • OB
      • Monitor:
      • Viewsonic 27"
      • Win7 64bit
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 880 Posts
    Level completed: 72%,
    Points required for next Level: 311
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 311
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Overall activity: 99.9%

For $100 more he can get the 2600K.

Banned

Status

Last Online
    Thanks

Sure, but that's over budget.

OC Jedi Master

Status

Last Online
    • Deton's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Lian Li A70F
      • PSU:
      • Cooling:
      • Custom H20 setup.
      • Sound:
      • Onboard
      • Monitor:
      • ViewSonic VX2435
      • Win 7 - 64bit
    Thanks

I would pick Sandy Bridge platform as well because it is the latest technology and it will kick the crap out of all mid range systems from both Intel and AMD.

You said you're rather build a system around $1500 or less so I'm going to revise Earthmonger's list a bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthmonger View Post

Intel Sandy Bridge 2500k - $220.
    Asus P8P67 motherboard - $160.
    8GB of dual-channel ram - $85 Corsair Domintor

So, let's reserve $500 for those three core items.

GPU:Asus EAH6870 - $240 (save $120) GTX470 might be a little bit better but this card is good enough for the games you're playing and good for bigger monitor as well. This card is also voltage tweakable so you can overclock the heck out of it, no need to pay prenium price for factory overclocked card.
    SSD: Crucial RealSSD C300 64GB. - $120.
    +1 good drive
    HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB - $90.
    Basic Sata HDD. An 'old reliable'.
    CD/DVD: Samsung CD/DVD Burner, OEM. - $18.
    You don't need anything more complicated than this.

PSU: Corsair TX650, 650watt, 80-Plus - $90.
    No frills, solid PSU, enough power for this single-GPU system.
    why not go for 750w for the same price after rebate TX750 good PSU last a long time, it's probably last you over a decade and still good until for you next upgrades

Case: COOLER MASTER Storm Scout SGC-2000-KKN1-GP Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - $90
    but I would prefer fulltower over midtower though, easy to work with.

Windows 7 Home Premium, 64bit, OEM - $100.
    This is a required purchase. Windows XP does not support DirectX 11 for gaming, nor does it have TRIM support for SSDs. You have to upgrade your OS for this build.

LCD Monitor: How's about
    ASUS VH236H Black 23" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Widescreen Full HD 1080P LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 20000 :1 (ASCR) Built-in Speakers
    a little bit cheaper $160 after mail in rebate, save $20

And here we are at $1020, not including the $500 reserved for CPU, mobo, and ram.

There are a few other things you will still need, though.
    - A CPU cooler compatible with socket LGA1155. Kind-of optional. The CPU will come with an OEM cooler most of the time, but few ever use it.
    - A quality thermal paste, such as Gelid GC-1, Arctic Silver 5, or Arctic Cooling MX-2.
    - USB Keyboard and Mouse. At least if your current ones are eight years old.

There will likely be a combo deal when Sandy Bridge hits Newegg, which includes the Asus motherboard and the 2500k. So you might save a bit more money there. There is also $30 worth of Mail-In-Rebates related to the list of crap linked above, but I did not factor that into the total (because they are rarely reliable).

If I forgot something, someone will tear me a new one and fix it for you.
    the whole build will cost around $1400, if you want cheaper then you can go with Earthmongo suggested case for another $40 cheaper.

Mobo & CPU prices are not writen in stone yet, have to wait until they release, if you shop around you will find better deal or you can go with differ board than Asus for a little bit cheaper too.

17. The following user thanks Deton For this above post:

beejaycee (07-01-2011)

OC Jedi Master

Status

Last Online
    • Deton's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Lian Li A70F
      • PSU:
      • Cooling:
      • Custom H20 setup.
      • Sound:
      • Onboard
      • Monitor:
      • ViewSonic VX2435
      • Win 7 - 64bit
    Thanks

yeah stay within his budget guys and don't forget the shipping cost as well.

Banned

Status

Last Online
    25-02-2016 @ 11:04
    CPU: Core i7 3930K
    M/B: ASRock X79 Extreme9
    RAM: 64GBs Kingston Beast 2133MHz
    GPU: Two EVGA GTX 690s in Quad SLI
    • Doctor_Death's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Corsair 900D
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX1200i
      • Cooling:
      • Complete system cooled by EK Water Blocks
      • Sound:
      • Creative Sound Core 3D Audio 7.1
      • Monitor:
      • Dell U3011 30" 2560 x 1600 Res
      • Win 7 Ultimate 64Bit
      • Misc:
      • Asus Blu-Ray, Asus 24X DVD Burner, Max Mechanicalkeyboard / Razer Abyssus Mouse / Razer eXact Mat with wrist rest.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 1,551 Posts
    Level completed: 0%,
    Points required for next Level: 0
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0

Go with the Samsung F3 over the WD Black 1TB, and make sure you go with a 24X dvd burner , you can also pick up a Blu-ray really cheap right now.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links