Thanks
    Level completed: 73%,
    Points required for next Level: 27
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 27
    Overall activity: 15.0%

Red face Greetings and help! New to forum, need advice on computer build

Hi to all.
    I am new to this site and recently re-introducing myself to forums and the world of computers. I have little knowledge but am keen to delve into a build of sorts. The computer in question is a running X6 1090T on a Gigabyte GA-880G-UDH3 fully operational but with cheap PSU, case, no graphics card, 500GB HDD and 4GB ram. I want to change the case to either a Corsair Carbide 300R with side panel window or an existing Antec 300. The purpose for the PC will be to stream torrents, view web, run P95 or Folding@Home with an 8800GTX eventually or possibly something else and be a thrashbox for learning the infinite "PC ropes/loops". Not so much for gaming (I do little of that). I wish to have it on as much as possible and be a cool LED display under my desk (it's in a PC compartment roughly 14" wide, 42" long).

I'm willing to spend reasonable money on it in a long period of time bit by bit to learn about builds and related information. I'm keen to put a decent overclock on it although nothing "extreme". My next purchase is for a cooler for the CPU, as I said I want it on as much as possible and to enjoy looking at possible LED/fans. I'm tempted to water-cool it but am tied as to what route to take. I want to put as little maintenance as possible in and for it to be as reliable as possible. I know for this I should go a D14 HSF route, but I am really interested in water-cooling it. As I said I'm willing to invest money into it but slowly, smartly and taking into account the life-time of the existing parts. I know the motherboard is terrible for OC but I don't want to buy new parts I don't need too if I can help it...... I looked at the Corsair Hydro series and like the H100i type models as well as other brands like the NXZT Kraken X60. Also saw the Koolance DIY 120mm Liq. Cooling kit for AMD, 54mm radiator (ICM-PC54A). I also have seen Swiftek, XSPC and Alphacool and saw someone talking about a P5 block or something (can't remember and I am inexperienced in all this, as I said it's a learning process for me).

The biggest factors for me are not clock speeds, but low maintenance, reliability and durability (length of time it will last), it being quiet and LED bling (fan changing is not an issue, in regards to Corsair Software and stock fans). Also, if I'm not going to get decent performance out of the MOBO then an upgrade is possible, (I am wanting to water-cool this thing after all). The other factor to take in is the case options of a Carbide 300R with windowed side panel or Antec 300 for a fall-back, (Where I would like to display LED/fans where I can).Can I get a some input as to what cooling system would meet these requirements? Again I stress low maintenance, reliability and durability, low noise and LED aesthetics. I'm tempted for a long radiator Hydro/other brand on the top of the 300R case, but haven't seen that set-up much from my searches, is leakage really that much of an issue? And if it occurs what sort of damage should I expect compared to top mounted and side mounted on a 300R. I am not all that interested in putting a rear mounted radiator unless it is a much better option. Also can I get a "reasonably priced" DIY set-up that will require as little maintenance as possible? (reasonable=best bang for buck maintenance, durability and reliability wise, not performance wise).I am starting to look at how water-cooled set-ups operate but would like some feedback as well. Cheers for reading my lengthy post and greetings to all who are active here.
    Last edited by vinman; 02-04-2014 at 01:04.

Status

Last Online
    Today @ 19:42
    CPU: AMD FX8320 at 4.8ghz
    M/B: Gigibyte GA990fx-UD5
    RAM: 16GB Hyper-X Predator 2133mhz
    GPU: 3x Sapphire 7950 Dual-x 3GB
    • Cyberburnout's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Switch 810 Matte
      • PSU:
      • INWin Commander II 1200w
      • Cooling:
      • Customer H20 with XSPC cpu block. Swiftech 320 Rad 3 Phanteks 120mm fans.2 120mm NZXT Fans in Front, 1 120mm NZXT fan in rear Recon Fan controller. Blue UV cooling liquid
      • Sound:
      • ONBOARD
      • Monitor:
      • lG 55in lcd TV
      • WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE X64
      • Misc:
      • Blue LED Lights
    Thanks
    Level completed: 40%,
    Points required for next Level: 480
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 480
    Overall activity: 99.8%

Default Re: Greetings and help! New to forum, need advice on computer build

Well welcome to PureOC. We are glad you stopped by to ask your many questions. Let me try my best to help.

Ok first thing. Custom water cooling shouldn't be an option at this point for that setup. You will gain very little from that investment since you cant OC much and you dont have a GPU worth getting a GPU block for.

based on what you are saying I would go with an All in One Cooler like the H100i, kraken X60, X40, TT Water 3.0 pro, The new ones from Antec. Check out some of our reviews on coolers and pick one. Get either a 120mm with 2 fans or a 240mm rad.

Case changes are easy. Go with whatever you like. Think about what you might what to do with it in the future and pick a case that supports those ideas. Nothing worse then buying another case 3 months later.

Very important!!! If you are planning on running F@H 24/7 you MUST invest in a PSU that can handle that continuous stress. So EL'Cheapo PSU will cost you dearly in the furture. YOu dont have to go top of the line but it cant be cheap and it must be rated higher then your actually power draw. I milked a PSU like you are talking about and it cost me my entire system. It is also the reason I found PureOC. Weird how things work! If I were you I would go with at least a 700-750w PSU Bronze or Gold rated made by one of the more known names in the industry. Antec, Corsair, Cooler master, Thermaltake, Seasonic ect ect. It should not cost you too much.

Not sure if I missed anything or not. But its a start. Again Welcome to PureOC!
    "If you got it, Build it"

A+ Certified. Dell, Lenovo, HP, Lexmarks, Xerox, Panasonic and NEC Certified ASP.

Core Member

Status

Last Online
    Today @ 19:41
    CPU: AMD FX 8350
    M/B: ASUS CROSSHAIR V Formula
    RAM: 16 gig Corsair Vengence 9- 9- 9 -27 12800 1600 mhz
    GPU: Gigabyte R9 270X Windforce
    • xelosia's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600TM
      • PSU:
      • OCZ ZS 750 watt
      • Cooling:
      • Corsair H100i
      • Sound:
      • On Board SB output to a Pioneer VSX906S Reciever
      • Monitor:
      • Sharp 32Inch lcd
      • Windows 7 Home Premium sp1
      • Misc:
      • Lite on Blue Ray MADCATZ S.T.R.I.K.E. 3 Keyboard MIONIX NAOS 7000 Transcend 128 gig SSD
    Thanks
    Level completed: 24%,
    Points required for next Level: 691
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 691
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Overall activity: 67.0%

Welcome to PUREOC

Core Member

Status

Last Online
    Today @ 15:38
    CPU: INTEL i5 4670k
    M/B: ECS l337 gaming,gank,z87h3-a2x z87 chip set
    RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 16GB 2133
    GPU: asus580 directcuII 1536 MB GDDR5 / 782HZ OVERCLOCK
    • killjoyjim's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Corsair 700d With custume pait Black Cherry with perial.
      • PSU:
      • AZZA TITAN 1000w
      • Cooling:
      • Laing DDC Pump. with XSPC CLEAR TOP,XSPC block for cpu, Koolance 4x120mm copper Vert rad in top,Black Ice 120mm in the front,Danger Den Dual bay res ,Primochill PRO-LRT Tubing.
      • Sound:
      • ASUS ROG THUNDERBOLT
      • Monitor:
      • 47'' samsung tv
      • windows 7
      • Misc:
      • OCZ 60gb fot OS. And a OCZ 240 ssd.
    Thanks
    Level completed: 59%,
    Points required for next Level: 412
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 412
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Overall activity: 99.7%

WELCOME TO PUREOC

Status

Last Online
    04-04-2014 @ 04:39
    CPU: i7-2600k
    M/B: ASUS sabertooth Z77
    RAM: 2x2GB Kingston 1333Mhz
    GPU: Nvidia 8800GTX
    • superhappytimes's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 1000W Platinum
      • Cooling:
      • Thermaltake Contac 29
      • Monitor:
      • Samsung SyncMaster 24inch
      • Windows 7 Home Premium
      • Misc:
      • TUF enough to withstand "big red button syndrome"
    Thanks

OK! Thanks for the warm welcome and patient reply to my query. I have decided not to go water cooling for various reasons, but have invested in a 300r carbide windowed case and the idea is to led it to shame. I have an CNPS9000series with green led fan (4pin) however it is gunmetal grey in colour rather than the orange copper and I only have the heat sink and fan. After looking around I think it should be compatible with an am3 socket unless I have a 9500 AT with a replaced fan however I need to get a clip for the stock bracket on my board. I am concerned as to the weight of the thing and whether it will be ok. Also I am finding it very difficult to find the particular clip required.
    My question is this, Will this thing fit on my setup and if so what will I need and where can I get it and for what price? If I cannot find the parts required are there other options available, such as bracket set and clip combo for my needs(am3 and 9500/9700 heat sink) and what would would they be if at all.
    I live in Australia and if finding the parts is going to cost me too much then I won't bother and will just purchase a brand new HSF.
    I understand I am asking quite newb questions however I have to start somewhere and this forum is the unlucky one that I registered to
    Any input or even help on this would be appreciated.

Status

Last Online
    Today @ 20:35
    CPU: 9590 fx
    M/B: fatality killer 990fx
    RAM: G.SKILL Trident X (4 x 8GB) DDR3 1600
    GPU: 2x 660 gtx
    Thanks
    Level completed: 39%,
    Points required for next Level: 309
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 309
    Overall activity: 32.0%

1) your not a noob. your an uber in training
    2) welcome to P.O.C.
    3) when posting a product your using pls link it,
    for example zalaman cooler that might not be yours but it's as close as i could find
    4) behind your processor socket, on the backside of the MoBo should be a steel reinforcement plate
    that baby will hold a LOT, hopefully you have all the hardware that came with your zalaman, you'll be golden as long as you mount it correctly watch you tube videos if need be for guidance
    pleas take a moment to watch and share this in it's ENTIRETY http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20RoAfflGCM
    learning is good .....understanding is better .....pleas teach with wisdom............................................ ..............calemus

Status

Last Online
      • Case:
      • Switch 810 Matte
      • PSU:
      • Cooling:
      • Customer H20 with XSPC cpu block. Swiftech 320 Rad 3 Phanteks 120mm fans.2 120mm NZXT Fans in Front, 1 120mm NZXT fan in rear Recon Fan controller. Blue UV cooling liquid
      • Sound:
      • ONBOARD
      • Monitor:
      • lG 55in lcd TV
      • WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE X64
      • Misc:
      • Blue LED Lights
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by calemus View Post
    1) your not a noob. your an uber in training
    2) welcome to P.O.C.
    3) when posting a product your using pls link it,
    for example zalaman cooler that might not be yours but it's as close as i could find
    4) behind your processor socket, on the backside of the MoBo should be a steel reinforcement plate
    that baby will hold a LOT, hopefully you have all the hardware that came with your zalaman, you'll be golden as long as you mount it correctly watch you tube videos if need be for guidance

yeah what he said. I am not sure what exactly you are looking for. What HSF are you trying to use again?

A+ Certified. Dell, Lenovo, HP, Lexmarks, Xerox, Panasonic and NEC Certified ASP.

Status

Last Online
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • PSU:
      • Cooling:
      • Thermaltake Contac 29
      • Monitor:
      • Windows 7 Home Premium
      • Misc:
    Thanks

No wakkas.
    The Zalman cooler is this one. It has same grey coat and green LED but I received it 2nd hand so I'm not sure of it's origin. I'm fairly confident as to it being OK for AM3 but I do not have a compatible mounting clip, this one. The only place I could find was US only stores, and I am in Australia and am not willing to pay AU$15-20 for a $3 clip, plus I couldn't find one that did ship to AU. The only place I can think of is contacting Zalman themselves and "requesting" for a new clip set, maybe along the lines of old one broke, very happy with product, please please, ect.
    The thing with this though is that I am keen on it's green LED and alternative newer Zalmans are blue/red and the green one isn't bright enough for my liking.
    If getting this clip is going to be too hard then can someone recommend me a heat sink that I can bundle on some fans (thinking about the frio). Also I haven't really purchased stuff online before, so where are the usual spots to look for Australia? (I know I can just google it but I'd like to know where other people tend to order from).
    ....I'm starting to remember why I lost interest in all this stuff ages ago, my poor mind just can't deal with this sort of effort...

Status

Last Online
    Today @ 20:35
    CPU: 9590 fx
    M/B: fatality killer 990fx
    RAM: G.SKILL Trident X (4 x 8GB) DDR3 1600
    GPU: 2x 660 gtx
    Thanks
    Level completed: 39%,
    Points required for next Level: 309
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 309

new egg and ebay
    those are you two best bets for international purchasing
    use google with the 1) lowest price first, 2) only show local to examine what options you have on your current continent
    google for lowset price first will also show global solutions as long as you dont check the local restriction
    pleas take a moment to watch and share this in it's ENTIRETY http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20RoAfflGCM
    learning is good .....understanding is better .....pleas teach with wisdom............................................ ..............calemus

Status

Last Online
      • Case:
      • Switch 810 Matte
      • PSU:
      • Cooling:
      • Sound:
      • ONBOARD
      • Monitor:
      • lG 55in lcd TV
      • WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE X64
      • Misc:
      • Blue LED Lights
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by superhappytimes View Post
    No wakkas.
    The Zalman cooler is this one. It has same grey coat and green LED but I received it 2nd hand so I'm not sure of it's origin. I'm fairly confident as to it being OK for AM3 but I do not have a compatible mounting clip, this one. The only place I could find was US only stores, and I am in Australia and am not willing to pay AU$15-20 for a $3 clip, plus I couldn't find one that did ship to AU. The only place I can think of is contacting Zalman themselves and "requesting" for a new clip set, maybe along the lines of old one broke, very happy with product, please please, ect.
    The thing with this though is that I am keen on it's green LED and alternative newer Zalmans are blue/red and the green one isn't bright enough for my liking.
    If getting this clip is going to be too hard then can someone recommend me a heat sink that I can bundle on some fans (thinking about the frio). Also I haven't really purchased stuff online before, so where are the usual spots to look for Australia? (I know I can just google it but I'd like to know where other people tend to order from).
    ....I'm starting to remember why I lost interest in all this stuff ages ago, my poor mind just can't deal with this sort of effort...

I would look into another HSF. Even if it can fit the AM3+ socket doesn't mean it will cool the CPU that is in the socket. A 1060t is going to kick that coolers arse. Even if it does manage to keep it in a decent range for normal usage, overclocking will be out of the question. No way can it hold up to the increase in core voltage. The only place you will get the bracket and clips from is Zalman.

Look info a Noctua HSF. They are from Aussie land just like you. Some of the best Air coolers ever made.

Status

Last Online
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • PSU:
      • Cooling:
      • Thermaltake Contac 29
      • Monitor:
      • Windows 7 Home Premium
      • Misc:
    Thanks

Just an update on my post...Bought a Carbide 300R with window and am going to put my existing Sabertooth Z77 & i7 2600K into it and pass down it's Antec 300 into the aforementioned PC. I also bought 2 140mm Enermax Vegas duo's and 3 trios...Yup, 5 mega LED fans, totalling in at 234 epileptic lights in the red, blue and green corner....... I am most likely going to get a 120mm Noctua HSF for it's quiet fans for the 2600 and will have the Phenom II X6 as a backup sorta thing, I have an exisiting Contac29 for that one. I'm just not experienced or game enough to go the watercooling route.
    However I do have a question regarding the LED's on the fans. Will getting a decent fan controller help keep the brightness of the LED's while lowering speeds? I want the trio's to go at around 900 RPM because the are super noisy at 1600. I found information that if they stay at 12V then they might not dim too much so I was wondering if anybody could help me with this query in that is there a fan controller that lowers RPM while staying at 12V and has 4, preferably 5 controllers that can handle 7.2W and 8.4W fans. I saw lamptron ones, FC5V3 looks coolest, but I think that these drop voltage as the RPM lowers. Google search came up with lamptron fan-atic but I'm unsure if this will do what I'm looking for. Any help would be much appreciated as I'm tempted to return the 3 trio's for duo's on the basis that I was unaware of the major LED dimming until purchase. And does anybody know about the bitspower cold cathode kits as I'm looking to get either pink or UV make a more purple glow to the LED's.
    Charizards all.

Status

Last Online
    15-10-2014 @ 19:09
    CPU: AMD A8-4555M APU
    M/B: HP-193B
    RAM: 6GB DDR3
    GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7600G
    • Shell_Shock's Full Spec's
      • Cooling:
      • Rear Intake, Side Exhaust fans
      • Sound:
      • Altec Lansing Speakers; IDT Advanced Audio Codec
      • Monitor:
      • 15" 1080p LCD Laptop Screen
      • Crunchbang Linux
    Thanks
    Level completed: 26%,
    Points required for next Level: 224
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 224
    Overall activity: 69.0%
    Overall activity: 69.0%

First of all, Welcome to PureOC!
    Secondly, IF you're gonna "LED it to shame" and be folding, then i HIGHLY suggest doing what Cyberburnout said, get a Really Nice PSU, don't break the bank for it but don't go cheap either. If it malfunctions you could fry your whole build so i wouldn't skimp on the PSU.
    Programmer, Ethical Hacker, Tech Support, Geek Extraordinaire.

Status

Last Online
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • PSU:
      • Cooling:
      • Thermaltake Contac 29
      • Monitor:
      • Windows 7 Home Premium
      • Misc:
    Thanks

If I do end up FAH then I will be using my sabertooth, which has a seasonic 1000W platinum. Thanks for all the help.

Status

Last Online
      • Case:
      • Switch 810 Matte
      • PSU:
      • Cooling:
      • Sound:
      • ONBOARD
      • Monitor:
      • lG 55in lcd TV
      • WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE X64
      • Misc:
      • Blue LED Lights
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by superhappytimes View Post
    If I do end up FAH then I will be using my sabertooth, which has a seasonic 1000W platinum. Thanks for all the help.
    That is a much better choice for FAH. Nothing like milking a crappy PSU then hearing what sounds like a gun shot as you PC gasp its last breath. lol

Status

Last Online
    19-10-2014 @ 19:06
    CPU: AMD A 10-5800K Trinity 4.5
    M/B: ECS A85F2-A Golden
    RAM: 16G Crucial Blaxtix 1866mzh
    GPU: 2 Saphirre 7770 Vapor X 1G 1150/1400
    • Carnyakam's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • NZXT Phantom 530 (Red)
      • PSU:
      • Cosair TX 750w
      • Cooling:
      • Corsair H100i 3 NZXT 200mm 2 Noctua 120mm 1 NZXT 140mm 1 Roswell 140mm
      • Sound:
      • Integrated
      • Monitor:
      • Asus 228h 23" LCD (LED backlight) 1080P HDx 2
      • Win 7 Ultimate 64bit
      • Misc:
      • ASUS Blu-Ray Burner x12 x2 Gigabyte Thore Gaming Mouse
    Thanks
    Level completed: 75%,
    Points required for next Level: 101
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 101
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Overall activity: 14.0%

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberburnout View Post
    Nothing like milking a crappy PSU then hearing what sounds like a gun shot as you PC gasp its last breath. lol
    Is that what you heard Cyber? did you hit the deck when it happened? Cause i know i would!

Welcome to POC Happy! hope you enjoy your stay and, plan on staying a while, these Ladies and Gentlemen, are a good group of guys, have learned a lot from them already, since jumping back into PC building and OCing again

Status

Last Online
    11-07-2014 @ 17:19
    CPU:
    M/B:
    RAM:
    GPU:
    • Alpha's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Chaser A1 Mid Tower Case
      • Monitor:
      • Gateway 1080p HD Display