motherboards
Arctic
Arctic Feezer 7x
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 16 of 40

Thread: Problem with sata hard drive

  1. #1
    New Member

    Status
    timj3371 is offline

    Last Online
    31-05-2015 @ 13:08
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    17
    CPU: amd 4130
    M/B: ga-970a-ud3p Gigabyte
    RAM: (2) 2 gig DDR3 Geil Dual channel match pair
    GPU: nvidia gt640
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Points: 245, Level: 2
    Points: 245, Level: 2
    Level completed: 95%,
    Points required for next Level: 5
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Overall activity: 27.0%

    Exclamation Problem with sata hard drive

    I wanted to say thank you for letting me join this wonderful group of guys and girls.

    Ok here is my question

    I use this for school

    I have two drives in my system
    they are connected to sata 1 and sata 2

    my one tb is on sata 1
    250 gb is sata 2

    Got this computer from a friend board and case already mounted in case did not have psu installed. shipped from cali to okla
    Had foam peanuts through out it
    I removed foam peanuts installed psu
    I had noticed the previous owner installed the psu with fan down. i did not do that installed fan up

    everything seems to work fine.

    Proceeded to load windows 7 and mint 17.1
    no issues with install everything is good

    few days later i was having issues with the 1Tb saying disk consistency check so i let it run alot of errors
    reloaded just windows 7 few days later same drive same error
    reloaded with my custom windows flash drive ran seatools and chkdsk no errors
    however seatools says a need a new firmware downloaded it and says drive not compatable
    ok then i said maybe drive not compatable with board
    installed a 500 gig wd blue installed windows 7 all updates plugged in to the same sata port 1
    few days later same issue disk consistency error
    ok so i figure heck might be cable replaced cable found out it was cracked along the headers no issues
    rebooted again a few hours later same issue
    this time i changed out hard drives and left in a seagate 250gig on a different sata cable on a different port 4 since my board has 6 sata ports
    so far its working as this post with only this drive

    i noticed in bios has been reset and battery pulled
    still errors drive screen
    says press f8 to boot from boot screen

    say lets say i have 1 tb installed on sata 1
    and sata 2 250 gig and sata3 says wdc 500

    the boot screen will say
    sata MO channel 1tb
    sata M1 channel 500gb
    sata S3 channel 250bg

    also notices that in windows the board will find usb ports and hard drives again every few boots

    I am thinking this board is going bad or the psu is since how ever long this psu been installed upside down thats a corsair 750 watt i borrowed from a friend does a few wacky things burnt out my 250 watt just tues night

    the other thing i am able to do is replace the PSU as this is my only computer i use it for school since i just burnt out my 250 watt i got it late wed from a good friend and a member on here. i have not touched it till tonight as i am going to look at it soon. is this why he had a pci sata card he don't remember why it was there.

    Thank you in advance

  2. #2
    New Member

    Status
    timj3371 is offline

    Last Online
    31-05-2015 @ 13:08
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    17
    CPU: amd 4130
    M/B: ga-970a-ud3p Gigabyte
    RAM: (2) 2 gig DDR3 Geil Dual channel match pair
    GPU: nvidia gt640
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Points: 245, Level: 2
    Points: 245, Level: 2
    Level completed: 95%,
    Points required for next Level: 5
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Overall activity: 27.0%

    Default Re: Problem with sata hard drive

    so to sum it up
    reset bios
    i have replace the drive
    replace the sata cable
    replace the port
    and its on sata 4

  3. #3
    Core Member

    Status
    killjoyjim is offline

    Last Online
    24-08-2018 @ 17:02
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    corry pa
    Posts
    4,837
    CPU: INTEL i5 4670k
    M/B: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO
    RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 16GB 2133
    GPU: Two GIGABYTE 670. With EXPC waterblocks and back plats.
    • killjoyjim's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Case Labs Magnum TH 10. With custom paint.
      • PSU:
      • AZZA TITAN 1000w
      • Cooling:
      • D5 pump with dress up kit and block. Custom Res with three XSPC 480mm rads. Swifteck CPU block and Two XSPC water blocks on my 670 cards.
      • Sound:
      • ASUS ROG THUNDERBOLT
      • Monitor:
      • 47'' samsung tv
      • OS:
      • windows 7
      • Misc:
      • OCZ 60gb fot OS. And a OCZ 240 ssd.
    Thanks
    30
    Thanked 416 Times in 378 Posts
    Points: 75,825, Level: 85
    Points: 75,825, Level: 85
    Level completed: 58%,
    Points required for next Level: 725
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 725
    Overall activity: 0%
    Overall activity: 0%

    Default Re: Problem with sata hard drive

    Hey Tim. I think we all mount are psu Upside down. There is no issue with it being upside down.

  4. #4
    New Member

    Status
    timj3371 is offline

    Last Online
    31-05-2015 @ 13:08
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    17
    CPU: amd 4130
    M/B: ga-970a-ud3p Gigabyte
    RAM: (2) 2 gig DDR3 Geil Dual channel match pair
    GPU: nvidia gt640
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Points: 245, Level: 2
    Points: 245, Level: 2
    Level completed: 95%,
    Points required for next Level: 5
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Overall activity: 27.0%

    Default Re: Problem with sata hard drive

    i know upside down is not the problem.it does not matter if the label is upside down but blocking fan is bad right ?

  5. #5
    Core Member

    Status
    killjoyjim is offline

    Last Online
    24-08-2018 @ 17:02
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    corry pa
    Posts
    4,837
    CPU: INTEL i5 4670k
    M/B: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO
    RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 16GB 2133
    GPU: Two GIGABYTE 670. With EXPC waterblocks and back plats.
    • killjoyjim's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Case Labs Magnum TH 10. With custom paint.
      • PSU:
      • AZZA TITAN 1000w
      • Cooling:
      • D5 pump with dress up kit and block. Custom Res with three XSPC 480mm rads. Swifteck CPU block and Two XSPC water blocks on my 670 cards.
      • Sound:
      • ASUS ROG THUNDERBOLT
      • Monitor:
      • 47'' samsung tv
      • OS:
      • windows 7
      • Misc:
      • OCZ 60gb fot OS. And a OCZ 240 ssd.
    Thanks
    30
    Thanked 416 Times in 378 Posts
    Points: 75,825, Level: 85
    Points: 75,825, Level: 85
    Level completed: 58%,
    Points required for next Level: 725
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 725
    Overall activity: 0%
    Overall activity: 0%

    Default Re: Problem with sata hard drive

    Quote Originally Posted by timj3371 View Post
    i know upside down is not the problem.it does not matter if the label is upside down but blocking fan is bad right ?
    Yes blocking fan is not good.

  6. The following user thanks killjoyjim For this above post:

    timj3371 (23-04-2015)

  7. #6
    Regular Member

    Status
    mrcapncaveman is offline

    Last Online
    15-02-2017 @ 16:11
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Lead, South Dakota, USA
    Posts
    618
    CPU: i7 4790k @4.8
    M/B: Gigabyte Z97 mx Gaming 5
    RAM: 2 X 8 GB Kingston HyperX Savage 2133
    GPU: ASUS 20th Anniversary GTX 980
    • mrcapncaveman's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Enermax iVector
      • PSU:
      • InWin Glacier 900W Gold
      • Cooling:
      • EK CPU waterblock and compression fittings , XSPC 240 rad and DDC pump 140mm tube res
      • Monitor:
      • AOC 19in/ Vizio 22in HDTV
      • OS:
      • Win 7 Ultimate
    Thanks
    240
    Thanked 66 Times in 63 Posts
    Points: 6,627, Level: 24
    Points: 6,627, Level: 24
    Level completed: 16%,
    Points required for next Level: 423
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 423
    Overall activity: 0%
    Overall activity: 0%

    Default Re: Problem with sata hard drive

    Just for the sake of possible elimination, you might try to partition your HDD to say 60GB and install. I know some older systems have problems with larger drives. Surely thats not the problem but its worth a shot. Did you disable check disk?

  8. The following user thanks mrcapncaveman For this above post:

    timj3371 (23-04-2015)

  9. #7
    New Member

    Status
    timj3371 is offline

    Last Online
    31-05-2015 @ 13:08
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    17
    CPU: amd 4130
    M/B: ga-970a-ud3p Gigabyte
    RAM: (2) 2 gig DDR3 Geil Dual channel match pair
    GPU: nvidia gt640
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Points: 245, Level: 2
    Points: 245, Level: 2
    Level completed: 95%,
    Points required for next Level: 5
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Overall activity: 27.0%

    Default Re: Problem with sata hard drive

    the correct size is listed in bios. check disk is disabled. i have tried 60 gig and i still have the issue. before replacing the drives. the 1tb is original and i know it worked on there before and has the latest bios. currenty working on 250 gig no issues but i would like it to work on my 1tb. He is sending me out another tb to try to see if thats the issue. It also came with a pci Sata card should i use that card and install TB on it ?

  10. #8
    Regular Member

    Status
    mrcapncaveman is offline

    Last Online
    15-02-2017 @ 16:11
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Lead, South Dakota, USA
    Posts
    618
    CPU: i7 4790k @4.8
    M/B: Gigabyte Z97 mx Gaming 5
    RAM: 2 X 8 GB Kingston HyperX Savage 2133
    GPU: ASUS 20th Anniversary GTX 980
    • mrcapncaveman's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Enermax iVector
      • PSU:
      • InWin Glacier 900W Gold
      • Cooling:
      • EK CPU waterblock and compression fittings , XSPC 240 rad and DDC pump 140mm tube res
      • Monitor:
      • AOC 19in/ Vizio 22in HDTV
      • OS:
      • Win 7 Ultimate
    Thanks
    240
    Thanked 66 Times in 63 Posts
    Points: 6,627, Level: 24
    Points: 6,627, Level: 24
    Level completed: 16%,
    Points required for next Level: 423
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 423
    Overall activity: 0%
    Overall activity: 0%

    Default Re: Problem with sata hard drive

    That might be worth a try.

  11. #9
    Regular Member

    Status
    mrcapncaveman is offline

    Last Online
    15-02-2017 @ 16:11
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Lead, South Dakota, USA
    Posts
    618
    CPU: i7 4790k @4.8
    M/B: Gigabyte Z97 mx Gaming 5
    RAM: 2 X 8 GB Kingston HyperX Savage 2133
    GPU: ASUS 20th Anniversary GTX 980
    • mrcapncaveman's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Enermax iVector
      • PSU:
      • InWin Glacier 900W Gold
      • Cooling:
      • EK CPU waterblock and compression fittings , XSPC 240 rad and DDC pump 140mm tube res
      • Monitor:
      • AOC 19in/ Vizio 22in HDTV
      • OS:
      • Win 7 Ultimate
    Thanks
    240
    Thanked 66 Times in 63 Posts
    Points: 6,627, Level: 24
    Points: 6,627, Level: 24
    Level completed: 16%,
    Points required for next Level: 423
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 423
    Overall activity: 0%
    Overall activity: 0%

    Default Re: Problem with sata hard drive

    Once Scott gets on here he will find a solution, dudes like a freaking walking encyclopedia.. In a good way!! He has a wealth of knowledge

  12. The following user thanks mrcapncaveman For this above post:

    timj3371 (23-04-2015)

  13. #10
    Core Member

    Status
    realneil is offline

    Last Online
    13-07-2020 @ 20:58
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    8,433
    CPU: i7-2600K and FX-8350
    M/B: Gigabyte on both
    RAM: 32GB DDR4-3200 and 64GB DDR4-3000
    GPU: 980Ti SLI and RX480 Crossfire
    • realneil's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Rosewill Blackhawk Ultra & Rosewill Blackhawk
      • PSU:
      • SeaSonic & Rosewill
      • Cooling:
      • Corsair H80 and Corsair H60, Both with dual high flow, low noise fans added.
      • Sound:
      • both onboard
      • Monitor:
      • ASUS 27" & Acer 28" 4K screen
      • OS:
      • Win-7 64Bit on both
      • Misc:
      • Klipsch Speakers, Plextor DVD Burners on all systems. Third System: Z170 Stinger W/i5-6600K, 16GB DDR4-3000, GTX-980 ViewSonic 27" Screen
    Thanks
    1,451
    Thanked 888 Times in 779 Posts
    Points: 102,711, Level: 99
    Points: 102,711, Level: 99
    Level completed: 84%,
    Points required for next Level: 339
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 339
    Overall activity: 85.0%
    Overall activity: 85.0%

    Default Re: Problem with sata hard drive

    Maybe this is why there was a PCI-e SATA card in the computer.

    Sounds like the motherboard may be failing.

    When you look in BIOS, is the drive controller set to IDE, SATA, or AHCI?

    IDE would be good for compatibility's sake.

  14. The following user thanks realneil For this above post:

    timj3371 (23-04-2015)

  15. #11
    Gu3
    Regular Member

    Status
    Gu3 is offline

    Last Online
    18-04-2019 @ 12:45
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Haymarket VA, USA
    Posts
    987
    CPU: i7-4770K @ 4GHZ
    M/B: MSI Z87 MPOWER ATX LGA1150
    RAM: 32GB (2 X Crucial 16GB Ballistix Elite (2 x 8GB) CAS 9, DDR3 1866 )
    GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 4GB Dual FTW ACX
    • Gu3's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define R4 Blackout
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic XPS2 / 660W / 660 Platinum
      • Cooling:
      • Swiftech ApogeeXL Water Block Alphacool NexXxos ST30 Full Copper Slim Profile Dual 120mm Radiator EK DDC X-RES Top 140 with 3.2 Pump (PWM) Pump/Res Primochill LST 3/8x5/8" Tubing BitsPower Premium Black Matt Compression Fittings Cougar CF-V12HPB Fans Monsoon Silver Bullet
      • Monitor:
      • 3 x Asus VS247H-P 23.6"
      • OS:
      • Linux Mint 18.1
      • Misc:
      • System Name: Dark Matter Build: http://pcpartpicker.com/b/rrccCJ BIOS Overclock to 4GHZ. Memory @ Stock Speed. Purely an amateur, built for HandBrake.
    Thanks
    111
    Thanked 112 Times in 103 Posts
    Points: 8,632, Level: 27
    Points: 8,632, Level: 27
    Level completed: 81%,
    Points required for next Level: 118
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 118
    Overall activity: 0%
    Overall activity: 0%

    Default Re: Problem with sata hard drive

    Quote Originally Posted by realneil View Post
    Maybe this is why there was a PCI-e SATA card in the computer.

    Sounds like the motherboard may be failing.

    When you look in BIOS, is the drive controller set to IDE, SATA, or AHCI?

    IDE would be good for compatibility's sake.
    Yeah, this sounds kinda scary.

    Couple of questions in addition to what Neil asked.

    When you shut down, does it appear the Windows completes it's shutdown properly before powering off? Does the consistency error always appear after a few boots/shutdowns?

    If the board in question is the one listed in your profile, that's quite an aged board, and it appears that all the SATA ports are provided by the Chipset.

    Based on your experience, I'd say there's an excellent chance the on-board SATA is failing someplace. Probably a capacitor or something on the SATA channels (at a wild guess). The PCIE add-in SATA card should solve this.

    I am a little confused though. Do you have the CORSAIR 750 in the system now?

    Scott

  16. The following user thanks Gu3 For this above post:

    timj3371 (23-04-2015)

  17. #12
    New Member

    Status
    timj3371 is offline

    Last Online
    31-05-2015 @ 13:08
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    17
    CPU: amd 4130
    M/B: ga-970a-ud3p Gigabyte
    RAM: (2) 2 gig DDR3 Geil Dual channel match pair
    GPU: nvidia gt640
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Points: 245, Level: 2
    Points: 245, Level: 2
    Level completed: 95%,
    Points required for next Level: 5
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Overall activity: 27.0%

    Default Re: Problem with sata hard drive

    Scott

    Bios is set to ide

    windows does a complete shutdown

    yes the consistency error happens afters a few boots usually with two drives the 1tb as primary and 250gb as secondary
    I am also getting i/o errors when copying data back and forth

    i did change it Scott I only have the 250gb hooked up and seems to be running well just one drive
    I also remounted the board found a stand off in the middle of the board. and remounted it
    only two boots but seems ok

    i need it up for school





    Do i know you Scott?



    Quote Originally Posted by Gu3 View Post
    Yeah, this sounds kinda scary.

    Couple of questions in addition to what Neil asked.

    When you shut down, does it appear the Windows completes it's shutdown properly before powering off? Does the consistency error always appear after a few boots/shutdowns?

    If the board in question is the one listed in your profile, that's quite an aged board, and it appears that all the SATA ports are provided by the Chipset.

    Based on your experience, I'd say there's an excellent chance the on-board SATA is failing someplace. Probably a capacitor or something on the SATA channels (at a wild guess). The PCIE add-in SATA card should solve this.

    I am a little confused though. Do you have the CORSAIR 750 in the system now?

    Scott

  18. #13
    Moderator

    Status
    Solara2xb is offline

    Last Online
    30-08-2017 @ 03:07
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Alta Loma, CA
    Posts
    5,172
    CPU: Intel i7 5930K / Intel i7 4820K / Intel i7 4790K
    M/B: ASUS X99 R5E / ASUS X79 Sabertooth / ASUS Z97 MVIIF
    RAM: 32GB Kingston DDR4 3000MHz / 32GB Corsair 1866MHz / 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz
    GPU: EVGA GTX780 TRI SLI Classy / EVGA GTX 780 SLI / XFX R9 290 (xfire) w XSPC WB
    • Solara2xb's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Corsair 750D / Corsair A540 / NZXT P630
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 1000G2 / Corsair AX1200 / Corsair AX1200
      • Cooling:
      • ALL Systems running Custom Water Cooling
      • Monitor:
      • 3x Dell 24" IPS on XFX Triple Stand 5760x1200
      • OS:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate
    Thanks
    1,225
    Thanked 558 Times in 491 Posts
    Points: 221,036, Level: 100
    Points: 221,036, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%,
    Points required for next Level: 0
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Overall activity: 0%

    Default Re: Problem with sata hard drive

    Tim, download a app called Crystal Disk Mark Info.
    Once installed, this app will tell you a bunch of info on the drives. If it has bad sectors, number of power ons, hrs on the drive and it will warn you if the drive has potential problems and many other things about the drive.

    This app will see ALL the drives installed on our PC.

  19. #14
    Gu3
    Regular Member

    Status
    Gu3 is offline

    Last Online
    18-04-2019 @ 12:45
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Haymarket VA, USA
    Posts
    987
    CPU: i7-4770K @ 4GHZ
    M/B: MSI Z87 MPOWER ATX LGA1150
    RAM: 32GB (2 X Crucial 16GB Ballistix Elite (2 x 8GB) CAS 9, DDR3 1866 )
    GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 4GB Dual FTW ACX
    • Gu3's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define R4 Blackout
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic XPS2 / 660W / 660 Platinum
      • Cooling:
      • Swiftech ApogeeXL Water Block Alphacool NexXxos ST30 Full Copper Slim Profile Dual 120mm Radiator EK DDC X-RES Top 140 with 3.2 Pump (PWM) Pump/Res Primochill LST 3/8x5/8" Tubing BitsPower Premium Black Matt Compression Fittings Cougar CF-V12HPB Fans Monsoon Silver Bullet
      • Monitor:
      • 3 x Asus VS247H-P 23.6"
      • OS:
      • Linux Mint 18.1
      • Misc:
      • System Name: Dark Matter Build: http://pcpartpicker.com/b/rrccCJ BIOS Overclock to 4GHZ. Memory @ Stock Speed. Purely an amateur, built for HandBrake.
    Thanks
    111
    Thanked 112 Times in 103 Posts
    Points: 8,632, Level: 27
    Points: 8,632, Level: 27
    Level completed: 81%,
    Points required for next Level: 118
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 118
    Overall activity: 0%
    Overall activity: 0%

    Default Re: Problem with sata hard drive

    Quote Originally Posted by timj3371 View Post
    Scott
    Bios is set to ide
    windows does a complete shutdown

    yes the consistency error happens afters a few boots usually with two drives the 1tb as primary and 250gb as secondary
    I am also getting i/o errors when copying data back and forth
    i did change it Scott I only have the 250gb hooked up and seems to be running well just one drive
    I also remounted the board found a stand off in the middle of the board. and remounted it
    only two boots but seems ok
    i need it up for school
    Do i know you Scott?
    Hey Tim!

    Remounting the motherboard was a good thing to do. It could be the main ATX PSU connector wasn't as solidly connected as it needed to be, or some other connection was a little loose.

    However, if the problem recurs, it seems likely to me that your disk writes (probably on a shutdown) are not getting flushed from the drive cache while the drive is connected to SATA 0 (and maybe others). I'm not sure why, and I don't have a Windows computer handy to look at all the settings, but it seems like this might be worth checking out. This article: Write-Caching - Enable or Disable - Windows 7 Help Forums might help. I'd do the "Quick Removal" option to start, and then connect everything up the way you want it. Boot, play around and shutdown a few times and see what happens (maybe do a disk to disk copy). As an item of interest, compare the 1TB to the 250GB settings too. Could be the 250GB is already set this way, and the 1TB never was.

    This MAY not help at all, if the on-board SATA is failing, the cacheing settings won't help at all, as it's likely the on-drive cache that is not getting flushed. Frankly, the best thing to do at this point is to try the add-in SATA card. The fact that you can run the 250GB on the box just fine, but when you try the 500 or 1TB drives, both of which I suspect draw more current than the 250 makes me think that it's a power issue on the SATA controller...perhaps as the system is doing a lot of writes (particularly on shutdown) and flushing the drive caches, the current drops a little low on one of the SATA channels, and the drive doesn't have enough juice to complete a write. This might also occur in any sustained write process (like drive to drive copies), BUT that's pure speculation. As Solara2xb says, it wouldn't hurt to pop Crystal Disk Mark Info on there and run a few tests.

    Oh. Just had a thought, you COULD run the 1TB off the add in, and leave the 250 on the on-board SATA. If this works, then the likelihood is that there is some issue between the 1TB and the chipset (verly likely current draw), at least that would get you up and running with both drives, even if we don't actually solve the underlying issue.

    If you're confident the 750 is a good PSU, and Crystal doesn't report any SMART issues with the drives, then I'm afraid the only likely fixes are: 1. Use the SATA add-in card. 2. Replace the Mobo.

    2 is simple enough, Newegg (and probably Amazon) has a selection of 775 Motherboards still availalble and some are not terribly expensive ($60-70): One option is: GIGABYTE GA-G41MT-S2PT LGA 775 Intel G41 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com.

    Sorry I don't have any better ideas!

    As for your final question, I have no Idea! Anything is possible!

    Scott

  20. #15
    New Member

    Status
    timj3371 is offline

    Last Online
    31-05-2015 @ 13:08
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    17
    CPU: amd 4130
    M/B: ga-970a-ud3p Gigabyte
    RAM: (2) 2 gig DDR3 Geil Dual channel match pair
    GPU: nvidia gt640
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Points: 245, Level: 2
    Points: 245, Level: 2
    Level completed: 95%,
    Points required for next Level: 5
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Overall activity: 27.0%

    Default Re: Problem with sata hard drive

    Hello Scott

    This is what i found last night

    When remounting motherboard found two stand offs in middle of board. it was not mounted correctly
    Replaced the PSU with one I got from a forum member and I know that one works

    so far no issues but i did copy the drive using mini tool
    when i boot up from the 250 gb i can see the all the partitions from 1 tb including the restore partition
    when i changed boot up from the 1tb shows only the C: drive the active partition
    but show up in mange right click on the my computer

    How do i show both in when booting in to windows using the 1tb
    What would you recommend for a drive copy software i used mini tool would i be better off using easeus or m something

    Thanks Scott are you on facebook ? if so can i add you as a friend


    Quote Originally Posted by Gu3 View Post
    Hey Tim!

    Remounting the motherboard was a good thing to do. It could be the main ATX PSU connector wasn't as solidly connected as it needed to be, or some other connection was a little loose.

    However, if the problem recurs, it seems likely to me that your disk writes (probably on a shutdown) are not getting flushed from the drive cache while the drive is connected to SATA 0 (and maybe others). I'm not sure why, and I don't have a Windows computer handy to look at all the settings, but it seems like this might be worth checking out. This article: Write-Caching - Enable or Disable - Windows 7 Help Forums might help. I'd do the "Quick Removal" option to start, and then connect everything up the way you want it. Boot, play around and shutdown a few times and see what happens (maybe do a disk to disk copy). As an item of interest, compare the 1TB to the 250GB settings too. Could be the 250GB is already set this way, and the 1TB never was.

    This MAY not help at all, if the on-board SATA is failing, the cacheing settings won't help at all, as it's likely the on-drive cache that is not getting flushed. Frankly, the best thing to do at this point is to try the add-in SATA card. The fact that you can run the 250GB on the box just fine, but when you try the 500 or 1TB drives, both of which I suspect draw more current than the 250 makes me think that it's a power issue on the SATA controller...perhaps as the system is doing a lot of writes (particularly on shutdown) and flushing the drive caches, the current drops a little low on one of the SATA channels, and the drive doesn't have enough juice to complete a write. This might also occur in any sustained write process (like drive to drive copies), BUT that's pure speculation. As Solara2xb says, it wouldn't hurt to pop Crystal Disk Mark Info on there and run a few tests.

    Oh. Just had a thought, you COULD run the 1TB off the add in, and leave the 250 on the on-board SATA. If this works, then the likelihood is that there is some issue between the 1TB and the chipset (verly likely current draw), at least that would get you up and running with both drives, even if we don't actually solve the underlying issue.

    If you're confident the 750 is a good PSU, and Crystal doesn't report any SMART issues with the drives, then I'm afraid the only likely fixes are: 1. Use the SATA add-in card. 2. Replace the Mobo.

    2 is simple enough, Newegg (and probably Amazon) has a selection of 775 Motherboards still availalble and some are not terribly expensive ($60-70): One option is: GIGABYTE GA-G41MT-S2PT LGA 775 Intel G41 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com.

    Sorry I don't have any better ideas!

    As for your final question, I have no Idea! Anything is possible!

    Scott

  21. #16
    Moderator

    Status
    Cyberburnout is offline

    Last Online
    20-10-2017 @ 11:01
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    GROVE CITY OHIO
    Posts
    5,362
    CPU: Intel i7-5820k
    M/B: ASRock X99 WS
    RAM: 32GB Crucial DDR4 2133
    GPU: 2 R9-290s Xfire
    • Cyberburnout's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Urban T81
      • PSU:
      • CM Silent 350w
      • Cooling:
      • Custom H20, Ek blocks for CPU and GPUs
      • Sound:
      • ONBOARD
      • Monitor:
      • Dual 24"
      • OS:
      • WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE X64
      • Misc:
      • White LED lighting
    Thanks
    61
    Thanked 1,166 Times in 663 Posts
    Points: 26,323, Level: 49
    Points: 26,323, Level: 49
    Level completed: 78%,
    Points required for next Level: 227
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 227
    Overall activity: 0%
    Overall activity: 0%

    Default Re: Problem with sata hard drive

    Sounds to me that Chipset is failing but odds are low of that since you are not having issues with USB or network boards.

    Have you double checked to see if there is a BIOS update or Driver for large drive support? 250 runs fine, 500GB has issue, 1TB has Issue. Sounds like the older Chip is not handling the drives correctly which is why you are getting disk consistency errors.

    Also when you installed Windows 7 did you perform ALL of the updates? Updates, then SP1 if you don't have it, Then a ton more updates, ignoring the Language packs of course.

    Sorry if this has been covered, I read a lot but there was just too much to read lol

    BTW Welcome to PureOC!
    "If you got it, Build it"

    A+ Certified. Dell, Lenovo, HP, Lexmarks, Xerox, Panasonic and NEC Certified ASP.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Hard Drive problem (i guess)
    By Ridamag in forum Drives & Storage
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 20-09-2012, 11:05
  2. Is the m4 128 the fastest sata 3 drive?
    By obamaliar in forum Drives & Storage
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 30-08-2011, 13:59
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 19-10-2010, 15:31
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-04-2010, 13:03
  5. Sata Drive
    By vinman in forum Drives & Storage
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 24-02-2010, 20:33

Search tags for this page

hard drive consistency error from sata port 3

Click on a term to search for related topics.

Tags for this Thread