motherboards
Arctic
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Tiny Computer Thread...Pi's, Beagles, Minnows, Humming..oh my!

Gu3

Status

Last Online
    18-04-2019 @ 12:45
    CPU: i7-4770K @ 4GHZ
    M/B: MSI Z87 MPOWER ATX LGA1150
    RAM: 32GB (2 X Crucial 16GB Ballistix Elite (2 x 8GB) CAS 9, DDR3 1866 )
    GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 4GB Dual FTW ACX
    • Gu3's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define R4 Blackout
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic XPS2 / 660W / 660 Platinum
      • Cooling:
      • Swiftech ApogeeXL Water Block Alphacool NexXxos ST30 Full Copper Slim Profile Dual 120mm Radiator EK DDC X-RES Top 140 with 3.2 Pump (PWM) Pump/Res Primochill LST 3/8x5/8" Tubing BitsPower Premium Black Matt Compression Fittings Cougar CF-V12HPB Fans Monsoon Silver Bullet
      • Monitor:
      • 3 x Asus VS247H-P 23.6"
      • Linux Mint 18.1
      • Misc:
      • System Name: Dark Matter Build: http://pcpartpicker.com/b/rrccCJ BIOS Overclock to 4GHZ. Memory @ Stock Speed. Purely an amateur, built for HandBrake.
    Thanks
    Level completed: 81%,
    Points required for next Level: 118
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 118
    Overall activity: 0%

Default The Tiny Computer Thread...Pi's, Beagles, Minnows, Humming..oh my!

So...in the What I Got thread recently, it was mentioned that peeps here might be interested in Raspberry Pi's, Minnowboards, Beaglebones, Hummingboards and the like. Since I play with these things both at work, and in my lair, I promised to share when I did something remotely interesting with them...

As I mentioned, I recently picked up a SilverJaw for my Minnowboard Max .

So, what the hell is a Minnowboard Max? In the version I have, it's a dual core Intel Atom E3825 on a board that is roughly 25-30% larger than a Raspberry Pi 2 B+. It comes with 2GB of DDR3 RAM, USB3, USB2, MicroSD, HDMI, SATA, 10/100/1000GB Ethernet, and an expansion header or two, including GPIO. It run off 5VDC, and can boot off USB, MicroSD, or SATA (it may do PXI too, but I'm not sure). It also supports UEFI. There is a single core version with 1GB of RAM as well.

Today, I installed the SilverJaw onto it, which gives me a MPCIE and an MSATA slot. Right now, I'm booting from a 128GB Crucial M500 MSATA card, and I could easily hook up another SATA device to the regular SATA port.

What is it good for? Well, honestly, I don't know.

I picked it up to experiment with loading Linux Mint on a tiny PC that was somewhat more powerful than a Pi. My rationale is that if I can find one of these to make a sub $300 box PC that'll run Windows or Linux comfortably, it might do as a mission computer for work, or as a lightweight desktop for my mother-in-law.

Frankly, it could also serve as a DNS Server, or a network Backup target (with a 1TB+ SATA drive attached), it seemingly could also handle home automation duties....or, it could just keep the Raspberry Pi's hanging around my desk company.

Perhaps remarkably, it actually does a credible job with 1080P Video playback. Not perfect, but not bad at all. If you needed a small PC to stream media to a 720P TV, this might be pretty close to perfect.

It runs the XFCE desktop on Linux Mint 7.1 Rebecca pretty well. LibreOffice Writer opens fast, and while the Atom won't break any speed records, you'd be hard pressed to find a computer of similar size with both a dual core X86 and 2GB of RAM.

You could certainly run a regular every day desktop on the Minnowboard Max. However, for most tiny computer duties, you'd be better of with a Pi 2 (about 1/3 the cost) or a i3 NUC (at about 3 times the cost). The Max doesn't have readily available cases, nor does it have the huge Maker community devoted to it. On the other hand, it's an x86, not an ARM, so the ability to use mainstream distros is much higher than a Pi.

The lack of a strong community and accessories really hurts this PC. Otherwise, it's completely a full PC Architecture in a small form factor. At a guess, I'd say it's roughly a third the size of a NUC MB, so a well engineered enclosure would be only slightly larger than a Pi. My first thought of a use for it was a roll your own NAS, but the SATA connector is SATA 2, and doesn't support expanders. The Gig E port makes it attractive for some other type of server though. Perhaps a music server, or a simple NFS server for a single volume?

I dunno. For now, it's a test bed for various linux distros!

Scott

Folding Team Leader

Status

Last Online
    23-03-2019 @ 20:29
    CPU: E5-26xx @2.54
    M/B: MSI X79 GD45 8d
    RAM: 16GB (2*8) G-Skill Trident X 2400 10,12,12 @1866
    GPU: sapphire hd7950
    • grumpydaddy's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC90B
      • PSU:
      • PC P&C 910
      • Cooling:
      • C4 NIC
      • Sound:
      • with mb
      • Monitor:
      • dell 24inch
      • Win7 Ult
      • Misc:
      • CPU is an ES processor with 8 cores/16 threads
    Thanks
    Level completed: 22%,
    Points required for next Level: 1,093
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 1,093

Default Re: The Tiny Computer Thread...Pi's, Beagles, Minnows, Humming..oh my!

My foray into small computing is not as small in fact I chose mATX over mITX but for a reason..... the use of normal ddr3l sticks

The celeron j1900 is a BGA1170 processor so comes soldered to the MB. The Asrock q1900M is said to be mATX but compared to the Maximus 5 gene it is smaller so I am thinking of it as a cross between ITX and mATX.

You get a fully x86-64 experience with some less desirable features.... Sata2 for example but other than that it has sound, will drive 2 screens (dvi and hdmi), there is vga and rj45 and 3 pcie slots one of which is physically x16 but they run at x1.

I have been running this loaded and the passive cooling copes ok in a 20° room. (I will add a screenshot at the bottom)

So what of the performance?

It is early days still but those of you that know I crunch will understand why I refer to this as my benchmark....

An e5-2650 running at 2.4 all cores loaded takes an average of 0.78 hours to complete a task, this celeron takes in order of 1.2 hours to complete the same task even though it is running at 2.4+. So for the sake of argument we shall say it takes half as long again.

I mentioned the Asrock's power use in the other thread: 17.5w with the above load so that would be 4.374w per core. My dual e5-2650 rig pulls 240watts or 7.5w per thread. Given that it can do 1.5 times as much work as the celeron I make some assumptions and arrive at the conclusion that the celeron uses 4.374w to achieve what the xeon would need 5w for.

Bottom line:

If you can put up with sata2 and pcie x1 together with performance that is around 2/3rds that of Sandy Bridge this seems to be a no-brainer at a newegg price of $89 (after rebate) for MB, CPU and 4GB ram.

There is one shocker though.... I tested with an old seasonic bronze 350w psu powering just this setup...... efficiency of the unit was..... 61%

Rig2: 2*e5-26xx (16c/32t @2.4), Asus z9 pe-d8 ws, 32gb ripjawsz under water, rig3 2*e5-26xx (16c/32t @2.4), Supermicro 7047A-T 16GB 1600 ecc reg, on air, Rig4: 2*e5-26xx (16c/32t @3.1), Supermicro x9 DAi 16GB 1600 ecc reg, on air, Rig5: 2*e5-2660 (16c/32t @2.7), Supermicro x9 DRW iF 32GB 1600 ecc reg, on air

Status

Last Online
    20-10-2017 @ 11:01
    CPU: Intel i7-5820k
    M/B: ASRock X99 WS
    RAM: 32GB Crucial DDR4 2133
    GPU: 2 R9-290s Xfire
    • Cyberburnout's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Urban T81
      • PSU:
      • CM Silent 350w
      • Cooling:
      • Custom H20, Ek blocks for CPU and GPUs
      • Sound:
      • ONBOARD
      • Monitor:
      • Dual 24"
      • WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE X64
      • Misc:
      • White LED lighting
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,166 Times in 663 Posts
    Level completed: 78%,
    Points required for next Level: 227
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 227

Quote Originally Posted by grumpydaddy View Post
    My foray into small computing is not as small in fact I chose mATX over mITX but for a reason..... the use of normal ddr3l sticks

The celeron j1900 is a BGA1170 processor so comes soldered to the MB. The Asrock q1900M is said to be mATX but compared to the Maximus 5 gene it is smaller so I am thinking of it as a cross between ITX and mATX.

You get a fully x86-64 experience with some less desirable features.... Sata2 for example but other than that it has sound, will drive 2 screens (dvi and hdmi), there is vga and rj45 and 3 pcie slots one of which is physically x16 but they run at x1.

I have been running this loaded and the passive cooling copes ok in a 20° room. (I will add a screenshot at the bottom)

So what of the performance?

It is early days still but those of you that know I crunch will understand why I refer to this as my benchmark....

An e5-2650 running at 2.4 all cores loaded takes an average of 0.78 hours to complete a task, this celeron takes in order of 1.2 hours to complete the same task even though it is running at 2.4+. So for the sake of argument we shall say it takes half as long again.

I mentioned the Asrock's power use in the other thread: 17.5w with the above load so that would be 4.374w per core. My dual e5-2650 rig pulls 240watts or 7.5w per thread. Given that it can do 1.5 times as much work as the celeron I make some assumptions and arrive at the conclusion that the celeron uses 4.374w to achieve what the xeon would need 5w for.

Bottom line:

If you can put up with sata2 and pcie x1 together with performance that is around 2/3rds that of Sandy Bridge this seems to be a no-brainer at a newegg price of $89 (after rebate) for MB, CPU and 4GB ram.

There is one shocker though.... I tested with an old seasonic bronze 350w psu powering just this setup...... efficiency of the unit was..... 61%
    Nice break down sir. I would have no issues finding a use for the Q1900m. Like mounting it to the back of a 23" touch screen I have. Would be like a big tablet!

Quote Originally Posted by Gu3 View Post
    So...in the What I Got thread recently, it was mentioned that peeps here might be interested in Raspberry Pi's, Minnowboards, Beaglebones, Hummingboards and the like. Since I play with these things both at work, and in my lair, I promised to share when I did something remotely interesting with them...

As I mentioned, I recently picked up a SilverJaw for my Minnowboard Max .

So, what the hell is a Minnowboard Max? In the version I have, it's a dual core Intel Atom E3825 on a board that is roughly 25-30% larger than a Raspberry Pi 2 B+. It comes with 2GB of DDR3 RAM, USB3, USB2, MicroSD, HDMI, SATA, 10/100/1000GB Ethernet, and an expansion header or two, including GPIO. It run off 5VDC, and can boot off USB, MicroSD, or SATA (it may do PXI too, but I'm not sure). It also supports UEFI. There is a single core version with 1GB of RAM as well.

Today, I installed the SilverJaw onto it, which gives me a MPCIE and an MSATA slot. Right now, I'm booting from a 128GB Crucial M500 MSATA card, and I could easily hook up another SATA device to the regular SATA port.

What is it good for? Well, honestly, I don't know.

I picked it up to experiment with loading Linux Mint on a tiny PC that was somewhat more powerful than a Pi. My rationale is that if I can find one of these to make a sub $300 box PC that'll run Windows or Linux comfortably, it might do as a mission computer for work, or as a lightweight desktop for my mother-in-law.

Frankly, it could also serve as a DNS Server, or a network Backup target (with a 1TB+ SATA drive attached), it seemingly could also handle home automation duties....or, it could just keep the Raspberry Pi's hanging around my desk company.

Perhaps remarkably, it actually does a credible job with 1080P Video playback. Not perfect, but not bad at all. If you needed a small PC to stream media to a 720P TV, this might be pretty close to perfect.

It runs the XFCE desktop on Linux Mint 7.1 Rebecca pretty well. LibreOffice Writer opens fast, and while the Atom won't break any speed records, you'd be hard pressed to find a computer of similar size with both a dual core X86 and 2GB of RAM.

You could certainly run a regular every day desktop on the Minnowboard Max. However, for most tiny computer duties, you'd be better of with a Pi 2 (about 1/3 the cost) or a i3 NUC (at about 3 times the cost). The Max doesn't have readily available cases, nor does it have the huge Maker community devoted to it. On the other hand, it's an x86, not an ARM, so the ability to use mainstream distros is much higher than a Pi.

The lack of a strong community and accessories really hurts this PC. Otherwise, it's completely a full PC Architecture in a small form factor. At a guess, I'd say it's roughly a third the size of a NUC MB, so a well engineered enclosure would be only slightly larger than a Pi. My first thought of a use for it was a roll your own NAS, but the SATA connector is SATA 2, and doesn't support expanders. The Gig E port makes it attractive for some other type of server though. Perhaps a music server, or a simple NFS server for a single volume?

I dunno. For now, it's a test bed for various linux distros!

Scott
    The price of that dual core Minnowboard kind of removes itself from contention for me. Once you start adding stuff to it the cost starts to look like one of the options I am currently using. Still cool thought.

So my Mini Pcs are the ECS LIVA and LIVA X. Currently both are running Windows 8.1 in a media center function. I reviewed the Liva X for PureOC ****Here****. I was so impressed with the little box it immediately replaced the PC I was currently using in the main TV watching room. We still use it daily. It Runs off a Baytrail-I SOC N2808 Celeron Dual Core 1.58GHz with 4GB of ram and a 64GB integrated SSD. 10/100/1000 NIC, Wifi, BlueTooth, HDMI, VGA, 1 USB3, 2 USB2 ports. Has an additional mSATA slot on board. I installed a 256GB Msata for Tempt storage of newly aquired media. Currently this model is one of the more costly LIVA-X availble at $249 (NEWEGG LIVA-X 64G but is regularly on sale for $199 or less. Unlike the first Liva there isnt much to assemble. Unbuntu and Windows 8.1 driver support. Does not fully support Windows 8. 8.1 Only.

The 2nd LIva is accutally the 1st Liva. ECS flew a few of us out to have a 2 day meeting with them to cover all the new products from ECS including the LIVA. They sent us home with one to play with. I continuely ran into issues setting it up because there were only 2 USB ports. 1 for mouse, 1 for KB 1 for Install media......ummmm WTH!! To make things worse it wouldnt recognize some of my Mech KB with the USB hub or the External DVD player. Finally got Windows 8 installed. Couldnt get drivers to install right. GRRRR!!!! Was just pain to deal with. Too much to do to fight with this thing! In the corner! A few months ago I pulled it back out and started again. This time I had a cheap 4 port USB hub in hand and a USB SSD Windows 8.1. flawless install. Drivers installed perfectly. This is were I discovered neither of the Liva Models Supports Windows 8. Only 8.1 or the drivers will error out during install. GRR!! It is now up and running at my mothers house in the living room. She can now stream Netflix, Prime, Movietube while sitting on the couch. She loves it! So does my aunt!

The Killer part is the LIVA 2GB/32GB model is on sale for $99 on newegg They are also offering a USB hub with Card reader support for $19 $99 is pretty good.

The other mini pC I have is on the girls TV. Biostar HIfi B85 something ITX board in a Silverstone ML06B HTPC Chassis using Silverstone tiny PSU. They love having access to the stuff listed above and access to HD Youtube where they spend too much time watching silly videos.

Never been a fan of small pcs until recently. They finally are able to do what I have been wanting them to do. I have an AM1 board with an APU onboard just dont know what to do with it yet. My next project us a NAS! Time to centralize all of this stuff I have!
    "If you got it, Build it"

A+ Certified. Dell, Lenovo, HP, Lexmarks, Xerox, Panasonic and NEC Certified ASP.

Gu3

Status

Last Online
    • Gu3's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • PSU:
      • Cooling:
      • Swiftech ApogeeXL Water Block Alphacool NexXxos ST30 Full Copper Slim Profile Dual 120mm Radiator EK DDC X-RES Top 140 with 3.2 Pump (PWM) Pump/Res Primochill LST 3/8x5/8" Tubing BitsPower Premium Black Matt Compression Fittings Cougar CF-V12HPB Fans Monsoon Silver Bullet
      • Monitor:
      • 3 x Asus VS247H-P 23.6"
      • Linux Mint 18.1
      • Misc:
      • System Name: Dark Matter Build: http://pcpartpicker.com/b/rrccCJ BIOS Overclock to 4GHZ. Memory @ Stock Speed. Purely an amateur, built for HandBrake.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberburnout View Post
    The price of that dual core Minnowboard kind of removes itself from contention for me. Once you start adding stuff to it the cost starts to look like one of the options I am currently using. Still cool thought.
    Yeah, it definitely gets pricey fast. Really, with all it's GPIO and whatnot, it's more of a crossover PC. Not really a Pi, but not really a NUC (or LIVA) either. It's pricey, but will boot off SD, and has a lot of RAM and a Gig-E port. For some sort of embedded functionality, as an x86, there are some benefits. However adding a mSATA card, the daughterboard for the mPCIE and MSATA slots, and then a mPCIE Wireless card, and we're definitely looking at LIVA or even i3 NUC territory.

It _COULD_ work as a desktop, or a media streamer, but the GPIO is probably where they are aiming. I seem to recall the whole Minnowboard project is aimed directly at bringing x86 to the Pi market. We'll see, the Pi 2 definitely threw some chum on the water of competition.

Another thing, is that I'm running a full Linux Distro on this thing. I expect if I installed a more minimalistic custom distro on it, it would likely fly. <grin>. Maybe later.

The LIVA-X line is pretty sexy, I have to admit. It took me awhile to figure out what SOC/CPU it is using, but it appears the one you have uses a Celeron N2940

To compare the Minnow and the LIVA CPU's (both Bay Trail BTW):
    Intel Celeron N2930 vs Atom E3825

I think in MOST use cases, you're absolutely right, the LIVA is the better choice, especially when factoring in increased RAM, a CASE, and similar capabilities. For embedded stuff, the Minnow would probably be a better choice. But I'd be hard pressed to buy either for a mini-desktop when NUC territory starts at $279 for a 4th Gen i3....lol There's a huge leap between a Pi and a Liva/Minnowboard and a NUC, and the price deltas just aren't that much. You can build a kick ass NUC for <$429 with 8GB of RAM, and a 120GB Samsung mPCIE SSD.

Admittedly $99 the LIVA comes into it's own, but like the Minnowboard it's marginal as a desktop. We're getting closer though! I love this market. The Pi-2 has really thrown a hand grenade into the market, and adding Win10 to it (yuck btw), is going to push the Pi competitors soundly into LIVA/Minnowboard territory...but for less than $150 for sure. (Or so goes my somewhat rambling thought!).

S.

Folding Team Leader

Status

Last Online
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC90B
      • PSU:
      • PC P&amp;C 910
      • Cooling:
      • C4 NIC
      • Sound:
      • with mb
      • Monitor:
      • dell 24inch
      • Win7 Ult
      • Misc:
    Thanks

Yep, I have to say I was thinking more small in price than size where the length of the board is mATX but the front to back dimension is about 7" (it uses that first row of standoffs in your case) Built, the thickness is around the hight if a standard RAM stick or the same as the audio connections pod at the rear. There is of course a mITX version thar uses SoDimms with the same 16GB board limit. All in all then the best summary might be to compare this with one of those thin clients but needing a tad more space to fit an ssd. All this of course is without any psu. It is a certain candidate for one of those pico psu's that runs from a brick.

I would like to see the next generation of this board be designed to run from just a power brick.

Much as I like the idea of the Pi2 I was disappointed by the lesser specs on the Linux version. I do love the computer for cheap idea a lot but I have to say that having lived with SB, IB and now Haswell I consider this Celeron to be about as low as I personally am prepared to go and I am not sure that going to the Pentium version (j2900) is that much of a gain.

I hope to be able to get my hands on mITX/mATX and Xeon E3-1240L v3 for higher performance but still low power (25w tdp) trials later in the year. Xeon D 1540 is too expensive for me.
    Rig2: 2*e5-26xx (16c/32t @2.4), Asus z9 pe-d8 ws, 32gb ripjawsz under water, rig3 2*e5-26xx (16c/32t @2.4), Supermicro 7047A-T 16GB 1600 ecc reg, on air, Rig4: 2*e5-26xx (16c/32t @3.1), Supermicro x9 DAi 16GB 1600 ecc reg, on air, Rig5: 2*e5-2660 (16c/32t @2.7), Supermicro x9 DRW iF 32GB 1600 ecc reg, on air

Gu3

Status

Last Online
    • Gu3's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • PSU:
      • Cooling:
      • Swiftech ApogeeXL Water Block Alphacool NexXxos ST30 Full Copper Slim Profile Dual 120mm Radiator EK DDC X-RES Top 140 with 3.2 Pump (PWM) Pump/Res Primochill LST 3/8x5/8&quot; Tubing BitsPower Premium Black Matt Compression Fittings Cougar CF-V12HPB Fans Monsoon Silver Bullet
      • Monitor:
      • 3 x Asus VS247H-P 23.6&quot;
      • Linux Mint 18.1
      • Misc:
    Thanks

Yep, I have to say I was thinking more small in price than size where the length of the board is mATX but the front to back dimension is about 7" (it uses that first row of standoffs in your case) Built, the thickness is around the hight if a standard RAM stick or the same as the audio connections pod at the rear. There is of course a mITX version thar uses SoDimms with the same 16GB board limit. All in all then the best summary might be to compare this with one of those thin clients but needing a tad more space to fit an ssd. All this of course is without any psu. It is a certain candidate for one of those pico psu's that runs from a brick.

I would like to see the next generation of this board be designed to run from just a power brick.

Much as I like the idea of the Pi2 I was disappointed by the lesser specs on the Linux version. I do love the computer for cheap idea a lot but I have to say that having lived with SB, IB and now Haswell I consider this Celeron to be about as low as I personally am prepared to go and I am not sure that going to the Pentium version (j2900) is that much of a gain.

I hope to be able to get my hands on mITX/mATX and Xeon E3-1240L v3 for higher performance but still low power (25w tdp) trials later in the year. Xeon D 1540 is too expensive for me.
    That mATX is a nice form factor...sadly there just aren't that many boards in it!

Like you, I'd really like to get a nice mATX with a server class CPU and ECC support. My Media server requires almost no CPU capability, but the ECC support is hard to find and mATX is a bit limiting too... An mITX would work, especially if it had dual Gig E Nics and I could find a nice SAS or SATA card to go into it...

We're getting closer...the way Intel is pushing TDP down, and adding more and more capabilities to the Atoms and i3's (both of which can support ECC), solid mITX and mATX server boards @ reasonable prices are getting closer every day....

Of course if someone kicked out a Pi 3 with SATA (or PCIe) and USB3, for $50 or so...perhaps that would be the sweet spot <grin>.

S.

Folding Team Leader

Status

Last Online
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC90B
      • PSU:
      • PC P&amp;C 910
      • Cooling:
      • C4 NIC
      • Sound:
      • with mb
      • Monitor:
      • dell 24inch
      • Win7 Ult
      • Misc:
    Thanks

Gu3

Status

Last Online
    • Gu3's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • PSU:
      • Cooling:
      • Swiftech ApogeeXL Water Block Alphacool NexXxos ST30 Full Copper Slim Profile Dual 120mm Radiator EK DDC X-RES Top 140 with 3.2 Pump (PWM) Pump/Res Primochill LST 3/8x5/8&quot; Tubing BitsPower Premium Black Matt Compression Fittings Cougar CF-V12HPB Fans Monsoon Silver Bullet
      • Monitor:
      • Linux Mint 18.1
      • Misc:
    Thanks

Good find Grumpy! Nice MB, only issues I saw with it are a very small number of SATA connectors which means you'd be very limited in storage options. The either/or thing on the mSATA and SATA devices is kinda limiting...and x1 on the PCI-e isn't really enough to run a good SATA or SAS card. Sadly it doesn't support ECC either.

But damn it's cool. This might make a solid server machine (notwithstanding the ECC limitation!) Would certainly make a great mini-PC though, with a full load of RAM and a pair of mSATA SSD's or an SSD and a PCIe WiFi card.

The coolest thing might be the POE module. POE is the bees knees really. Cable elimination at it's finest!

Nice Find!

S.

Status

Last Online
      • Case:
      • Urban T81
      • PSU:
      • CM Silent 350w
      • Cooling:
      • Sound:
      • ONBOARD
      • Monitor:
      • Dual 24&quot;
      • WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE X64
      • Misc:
      • White LED lighting
    Thanks

ASrock has an X99 ITX board with all the bells and whistles you ask for. Right here Even comes with its own custom CPU cooler. YOU CAN NOT USE ANYTHING ELSE

• ASRock Super Alloy
      - Premium 60A Power Choke
      - Premium Memory Alloy Choke
      - Fairchild 60A Dual Cool™ DrMOS
      - Nichicon 12K Platinum Caps
      - Sapphire Black PCB
    • Supports Intel® Core™ i7 and Xeon® 18-Core Processors Family for the LGA 2011-3 Socket
    • X Series OC Socket, Digi Power, 6 Power Phase design
    • Supports Dual Channel DDR4 3200+(OC)
    • 1 PCIe 3.0 x16, 1 Vertical mini-PCIe for WiFi + BT Module
    • 7.1 CH HD Audio with Content Protection (Realtek ALC1150 Audio Codec), Supports DTS Connect
    • Intel® Dual Gigabit LAN with Teaming Function
    • 6 SATA3, 1 eSATA, 1 SATA Express, 1 Ultra M.2 (PCIe Gen3 x4 & SATA3)
    • WLAN: 2T2R Dual Band 802.11ac WiFi + BT v4.0 Module, ASRock WiFi 2.4/5 GHz Antenna
    • 2 USB 3.1 Type-A 10Gb/s, 6 USB 3.0 (2 Front, 4 Rear), 4 USB 2.0 (2 Front, 2 Rear)
    • Free Bundle : CPU Cooler, Water Cooling Mounting Plate, ASRock U3 to U2 Converter
    • Supports ASRock Full Spike Protection, APP Shop, A-Tuning, Full HD UEFI

The LIVA-X uses the Baytrail-I SOC N2808 Celeron Dual Core 1.58GHz. I have screen shots in the Liva-X review. There may have been some made with that SOC since there was a shortage of the N2808 and a couple others briefly.

A+ Certified. Dell, Lenovo, HP, Lexmarks, Xerox, Panasonic and NEC Certified ASP.

Gu3

Status

Last Online
    • Gu3's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • PSU:
      • Cooling:
      • Monitor:
      • Linux Mint 18.1
      • Misc:
    Thanks

Smexy.

Except: ASrock...lol.

I like the watercooling support. And ECC Support. Pity you can't use an i3 though. Oh, and $249...lol. Well it's a tiny board, that's for sure!

Very Cool.

S.

Status

Last Online
      • Case:
      • Urban T81
      • PSU:
      • CM Silent 350w
      • Cooling:
      • Sound:
      • ONBOARD
      • Monitor:
      • Dual 24&quot;
      • WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE X64
      • Misc:
      • White LED lighting
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gu3 View Post
    Smexy.

Except: ASrock...lol.

I like the watercooling support. And ECC Support. Pity you can't use an i3 though. Oh, and $249...lol. Well it's a tiny board, that's for sure!

Very Cool.

S.

People turn their nose up to ASRock but I think they are underestimating the changes they have made over the last few years. Their premium boards have one of the better UEFI Bios around. Easy to use, bunch of features, stable. Board quality is pretty good. I have reviewed a few ASRock boards and been impressed with them all. Cant say the same for other Top tier boards I have had. Fragile or flaky as hell. UEFI is a pain to work with. Slow boot times because it takes 20 seconds just for the Company logo to show up after pressing the button. Keyboard not being seen after restarts. Just saying you might want to give them another shot.

I do not rate lower end boards from any company because they are exactly that already. Why do you need me to tell you a $40 board is worth $35.

Now check this out! How to Build a Cheap Super Computer

Home

News

How to Build a Cheap Super Computer

Here’s how to build a cheap super computer using Raspberry Pi’s – When you think about building your own rig, you probably think of setting up a crazy ass gaming computer or creating a computer on a budget to get the best possible components for the least amount of money. You’re almost certainly not considering putting together a supercomputer. Maybe you should. making a cluster large enough to be classed as a super computer using Raspberry Pi’s (RPi) can be done for less than $1,000.
    Raspberry Pi is a single-board Linux-powered computer. They’re powered by 700MHz ARM11-processors and include a Videocore IV GPU. The Model B+ comes with 512MBs of RAM, four USB ports and a 10/100 BaseT Ethernet port. The processors can be overclocked to 1GHz.

This is the last video of the set. Click on link to see the first 2.

Gu3

Status

Last Online
    • Gu3's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • PSU:
      • Cooling:
      • Monitor:
      • Linux Mint 18.1
      • Misc:
    Thanks

People turn their nose up to ASRock but I think they are underestimating the changes they have made over the last few years. Their premium boards have one of the better UEFI Bios around. Easy to use, bunch of features, stable. Board quality is pretty good. I have reviewed a few ASRock boards and been impressed with them all. Cant say the same for other Top tier boards I have had. Fragile or flaky as hell. UEFI is a pain to work with. Slow boot times because it takes 20 seconds just for the Company logo to show up after pressing the button. Keyboard not being seen after restarts. Just saying you might want to give them another shot.

I do not rate lower end boards from any company because they are exactly that already. Why do you need me to tell you a $40 board is worth $35.
    Fair comment. To be honest, I don't think I've EVER used an ASROCK, so my snootiness is purely based on random Internet feedback. To be utterly fair, their pricing is consistently better than my two favored brands, so I've no complaint there.

I may try them eventually. The Media Server is likely one place I might give them a shot. Other than SuperMicro, and (on very rare occasions) Asus, ASROCK seems to be the only vendor building ECC capable mini-ITX boards with i3 or embedded multi-core Atom support. Both of which would be more than suitable for my Media Server.

Now check this out! How to Build a Cheap Super Computer

Home

News

How to Build a Cheap Super Computer

Here’s how to build a cheap super computer using Raspberry Pi’s – When you think about building your own rig, you probably think of setting up a crazy ass gaming computer or creating a computer on a budget to get the best possible components for the least amount of money. You’re almost certainly not considering putting together a supercomputer. Maybe you should. making a cluster large enough to be classed as a super computer using Raspberry Pi’s (RPi) can be done for less than $1,000.
    Raspberry Pi is a single-board Linux-powered computer. They’re powered by 700MHz ARM11-processors and include a Videocore IV GPU. The Model B+ comes with 512MBs of RAM, four USB ports and a 10/100 BaseT Ethernet port. The processors can be overclocked to 1GHz.

This is the last video of the set. Click on link to see the first 2.

Honestly, I absolutely love this whole idea. Imagine it with pi-2's. 128 Cores and 128 GB of RAM in this thing (plus the 4 & 1 from rpi00).

Now, if I could get Handbrake optimized for it...lol

S.

Folding Team Leader

Status

Last Online
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC90B
      • PSU:
      • PC P&amp;C 910
      • Cooling:
      • C4 NIC
      • Sound:
      • with mb
      • Monitor:
      • dell 24inch
      • Win7 Ult
      • Misc:
    Thanks

Game for a laugh..... Thought I would try the q1900m with 8GB ram but my g-skill 1600's won't run in it....

It currently has Corsair Dominator 2133 cas 9 sticks in it..... running at 1333 cas 9

This ram is twice the price of the board and cpu

Gu3

Status

Last Online
    • Gu3's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • PSU:
      • Cooling:
      • Monitor:
      • Linux Mint 18.1
      • Misc:
    Thanks

Isn't that amazing? It's crazy how cheap some of these boards are these days for what you get. Yet RAM is still quite costly. I saw an ad for some DDR4 the other day for 16GB @ $999. Yup.

Crazy.

S.

Folding Team Leader

Status

Last Online
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC90B
      • PSU:
      • PC P&amp;C 910
      • Cooling:
      • C4 NIC
      • Sound:
      • with mb
      • Monitor:
      • dell 24inch
      • Win7 Ult
      • Misc:
    Thanks

Are you feeling rich? 1 x 64GB stick DDR4-2133MHz 8Rx4 1.2v ECC Registered LRDIMM for $5000

Computer Hardware, Memory, ddr4 - Newegg.com

Status

Last Online
    01-09-2019 @ 10:57
    CPU: ThreadRipper 2950X @4.1Ghz
    M/B: MSI Meg X399 Creation
    RAM: 64GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3000
    GPU: 2x Aorus GTX 1080Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme
    • Smiki007's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Core X9
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova 1600W 80+ G2
      • Cooling:
      • 2x Enermax NEOChanger Res/Pump Combo + 2x Swiftech Xtreme FLow 360mm Rads + ACool Nexxos XT45 240mm Rad + EKWB Pom / Nickel Full Cover TR4 Water Block)
      • Monitor:
      • ASUS VG278H 3D
      • W10 Pro v.1809
    Thanks
    Level completed: 28%,
    Points required for next Level: 1,443
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 1,443
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Overall activity: 99.6%

Are you feeling rich? 1 x 64GB stick DDR4-2133MHz 8Rx4 1.2v ECC Registered LRDIMM for $5000

Computer Hardware, Memory, ddr4 - Newegg.com

Always look beyond the limits...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links