RAM: Ripjaws 4GB x 4 2200 Mhz CAS8
    GPU: #2 6990 @ 1000/1500 (quadfire)
    • XXXFire's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Customized Azza Solano / Radiators: 480, 360, 360, 240 built-in
      • PSU:
      • #2 Kingwin Mach 1, 1220 Watts
      • Cooling:
      • Koolance VID699A # 2 / Apogee XT / 480 360 360 240 MCRQP rads / MCP-35X & MCP-655 pumps / Swiftech Microreservoir
      • Sound:
      • Realtek / Dolby
      • Monitor:
      • 5x1P IPS eyefinity, Samsung S750 HD3D, HP ZR30w IPS (30")
      • Windows 7 64
      • Misc:
    Thanks
    Level completed: 40%,
    Points required for next Level: 60
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 60
    Overall activity: 3.0%

Default Radeon 6990 x 2 (quadfire) benchmark evaluation @ 3x1P

Greetings to my brothers & sisters at PUREOC! I wanted to submit this antiquated (by standard of hardware, of course) benchmark evaluation of overclocked Radeon HD 6990s in crossfire @ 3x1 Eyefinity portrait mode. I want to clarify several points, as rebukes & rebuttal may legitimately ensue without clarification.

Testing was conducted sporadically, over time (although with the same driver) and is not meant for comparative "6990 beats 590 & the universe" discourse. Also, the benchmarks done in-game were not conducted, in all cases, multiple times & with careful consideration of duplicability, margins of error, standard deviations, ambient temperature, et al. Hell, I thought over this time period I was at least using a consistent resolution (i've settled on 3560x1920 for months now, a standard I feel quite embarrassed is not consistent through these results) but after organizing results on imageshack, clearly, nothing was consistent. The in-game testing, however, was done at 3552x1920 (as these were indeed conducted within several days of each other, toward the finale of my tests). That notwithstanding, I was quite ensconced with work and as such, adherence to elementary level methodology is .. absent. Whoops.

My reason for publishing, however, provides opportunity for subsequent refreshes of results using scientifically valid conformity. With the improved revision, though, bare in mind my new findings are utterly incompatible for performance comparison of these results below. I plan to continue Eyefinity testing under tight, consistent protocol. My sparkling new 2600K is scheduled to arrive before weeks end, and I've comprehensively update hardware fundamentals that, God willing, provide a sturdy platform for month after month, extended testing.

Other revisions include 16GB of 2133 CAS8 Ripjaws memory on Gigabyte's P67A-UD7-revision, B3. The same Koolance VIDAR699 & Apogee XT blocks are used, with fresh Noctua NH-D1 thermal paste. XFX & Sapphire brand 6990s. Water-flow provided by Swiftech's MCP-35X & MCP 655 through Swiftech's microreservoir; heat radiated through MCR-420, 320, 320, & 240 QP radiators. Fans are of varying brand, averaging 45-50 CFM. Power supplied by two Kingwin Mach 1 1220 watt modular units.

As far as the "minimum frame-rate" considertaion? I've had people note that, in many cases, they are quite low. This is caused by the vast amount of data used to push 6+ megapixels. In cases of 5-10 minute runs, the minimum is a clear anomaly to overwhelmingly consistent frames. Occasionally "lows" are just that: occasional. So occasional, in fact, as to be utterly irrelevant.

The original inspiration for my compilation was the oft-referenced & downright fallacious benchmark results derived various websites & youtube. I'll submit only one such example, which stands as the most prominent of the bunch & still highlighted as an "AMD fail" footnote in debate.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GWIlrYMTec&amp;feature=related" target="_blank">

..demonstrates dual 6990s hitting around 70 FPS @ 2560x1600 in Alien vs. Predator! If my original review demonstrates anything, it at least demonstrates such results to be egregiously flawed. As this youtube video is not exclusive in it's denigrating quad-crossfire scaling, this stands as a general counterpoint.

This review has been performed (except where otherwise noted) @ 3552 x 1920 pixel resolution, encompassing 6.8 megapixels in 3x1 portrait-mode Eyefinity. Catalyst Control settings were, across the board, "High Quality" with optimization effects disabled.

Every title was maxed out in entirety through the game's own setting tabs. The exceptions, as will be repeated below beside the entry in question, are Depth of Field in "HAWX 2", "Metro 2033". "Dragon Age 2" was enabled with 4xEQAA instead of 8xEQAA (a mistake on my behalf, as the hardware handles the additional processing just fine).

A quick note about microstutter: I have, since adopting Eyefinity & various forms of crossfire in the preceding generation, a very acute eye for the effects of so-called "microstutter". I would qualify having experienced the effect in no less than 1/5 of games played within Eyefinity during the 5800's foray into multiple monitor gaming. I'm not confusing this with typical stutter or lag, either. My encounters with the effect typically occurred with high frame-rates, at or above 60 fps, & provided a healthy knowledge of the effect such that I'm more than capable in detecting it. In all 23 of the evaluation runs that follow, I confidently state that - despite the very high frames per second demonstrated below - I encountered NO microstutter, jitter, jutter, stutter, pauses, latency, freezing, or anomalous frame synchronization behavior in any of the testing to follow. As a quick note, as a means of qualifying the reported frame data taken through Radeonpro, I utilized MSI Afterburner to verify the result accuracy. Shout & thanks to Japamd & the Afterburner developer (Unwinder or something, right) for providing the exceptional tools making this evaluation possible.

Second note: if using ASUS Smartdoctor, the abysmal tuning tool for voltage/clocks, you will notice unbelievable performance deviations during gameplay. The effect is from it's software fan ramp-up implementation, & drove me half bananas before identifying the cause.

Test rig

This performance data compiled by my original rig, featuring an i7-2600K seated within Gigabyte's P67A-UD7 running bios p67aud7.f8x. The tests were run @ 102.3 bclock & 50 multiplier for 5.1 GHz (CPU-Z mis-reports the bclock). 2 GB x 4 of Patriot Sector 5 (Viper II) RAM clocked at 2176 MHz. The video cards under review are XFX & Sapphire 6990s clocked at 1000 MHz core / 1485 MHz memory; of course, the AUSUM bios is enabled, thus unlocking Powertune to it's highest capacity, which I have set to +20%.

Cooling is provided by an Apogee XT CPU block. Dual VID-6990 Koolance waterblocks are attached to the 6990s. Temperatures under load for the CPU ranged between 50-56° Celsius. Temperatures under load averaged between 48-52° Celsius for the 6970s comprising my 6990s. Vreg temperatures averaged the low-to-mid 50s, peaking at 58.4° (maximum for all 4 GPUs).

AMD Catalyst Driver 11.5b / Catalyst Application Profile 11.5 - CAP #5

Alien vs. Predator: Benchmark Runs

I've also included my 1920x1080 run, as I felt it was quite impressive.

Alien vs. Predator: Gameplay

Run begins in "cave" after protagonist has been yanked up by a Xenomorph. Moves from inside cave to outdoor area; continues into building on the side, to reset the satellite feed (or something). Benchmark wraps up after exiting and heading back outdoor toward a bridge, assaulted by half a dozen aliens. Settings are all maxed out with 4xEQAA.

Batman Arham Asylum : Benchmark

All settings maximized, 8xEQAA.

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 : Gameplay

Benchmark of first level. Continues from introduction, through trench battles, past the "defector", while manning HMG on vehicle and up to the entryway of the submarine dock. All settings maximized, including HDAO, 16xAF & driver override 16xEQAA.

Crysis: Timedemo

Crysis Warhead

Straight Enthusiast settings; 2xEQAA & 16xAF. Jungle level where the Psycho sets out to rescue downed airman. The .exe is named "Crysis" in Warhead, thus the benchmark header.

Crysis 2: Time Demo

Crysis 2: Indoor Gameplay

All settings to extreme; "R_postmsaa" set to 4xMSAA. The fps were so high during tested indoor level (hargreave-rasch building), I decided to balance out the test with separate run for an outdoor evaluation.

Crysis 2: Outdoor Gameplay

Before entering the same building that above benchmark was evaluated within. Same settings as above.

Dragon Age 2

Benchmark begins at start of game and through battle with troll. All settings in game options maximized, except for 4xEQAA in place of 8xEQAA.

Far Cry 2: Ultra / Time Demo 4xEQAA

Far Cry 2: Ultra / Time Demo 8xEQAA

H.A.W.X. 2 : Benchmark

All settings maxed out, except for Depth of Field. Benchmark runs fine with DoF, I just hate it in principle & typically don't enable it.

Mafia 2: Gameplay

Run begins, waking up in "Chapter Three" with phone ringing in Joe's apartment. Change clothes, leave building & hop in garaged car. Take it for a spin, accidentallly crushing some citizens. Hop out and run, then engage police in fire-fight. Death ends the run.

Metro 2033: Benchmark Run 1

Frontline benchmark. Everything ULTRA (minus DoF) & AAA.

Metro 2033: Benchmark Run 2

Frontline benchmark. Everything ULTRA (minus DoF) & MSAA.

Metro 2033: Gameplay

Everything maxed, minus DoF. 4xMSAA. Benchmark begins upon leaving bar after first level wraps up. Follow child to Artyom's first companion (forget his name right now) and into the Metro underground. Engage bandits after side-stepping booby-traps before ending the evaluation.

Stalker Call of Pripyat: Benchmark Tool

Although not visible entirely, this run followed under across-the-board ULTRA settings including "HDAO" to ULTRA CS. There is no anti-aliasing enabled.

Stalker: Call of Pripyat Benchmark Tool 2

Follows same regimen as above, except with 2xEQAA enabled.

Street Fighter IV: Benchmark

For laughs more than relevance this performance evaluation holds for current hardware. As ever, the entire settings follow maximum conditions & 16xEQAA enabled.

Unigine Heaven 2.1

Heaven 2.1 run at default settings. Easily reproducible, is my mindset for running this still gorgeous DX 11 benchmark. I didn't perform 2.5 because I have yet to install it on my drive, though may update this review with the most contemporary version as an addendum.

3DMark 11

Never felt these benchmarks were of terrible significance, though frequent competition with objective of highest 3dMark score is a nice incentive for rig-tweaking. Here's the best of what I've accomplished.

Banned

Status

Last Online
    02-07-2013 @ 01:04
    CPU: Intel Core i7 3930K @ 5GHz
    M/B: ASROCK X79 Extreme 6
    RAM: 16G G.Skill Trident 2400MHz
    GPU: 2 x Radeon 2G 7970 Liquid cooled
    • Drdeath's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Phobya CooliT TestBennch
      • PSU:
      • Nexus 1100W
      • Cooling:
      • Custom water. Apogee XT Rev 1, Thermachill TA120.3 plus 120.2, Swiftec Micro res, MCP655
      • Sound:
      • OB
      • Monitor:
      • Viewsonic 27&quot;
      • Win7 64bit
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 880 Posts
    Level completed: 72%,
    Points required for next Level: 311
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 311
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Overall activity: 99.9%

Default Re: Radeon 6990 x 2 (quadfire) benchmark evaluation @ 3x1P

Those are kick ass benchiies at hi res....

Core Member

Status

Last Online
    22-02-2019 @ 20:37
    CPU: intel 5960x
    M/B: rampage 5 extreame
    RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB DDR4 2800MHz Timings are 14-16-16-31 Voltage: 1.35V
    GPU: 2 evga 980ti aic 80% + kingpin
    • aryan51's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Steiger Dynamics LEET
      • PSU:
      • evga super nova 1600 titanium
      • Cooling:
      • EK-Supremacy EVO Elite Edition - Intel 2011-3 EK-FC980 GTX Ti Classy KPE - Nickel EK-FC980 GTX Ti Classy KPE Backplate - Nickel EK Dual-Radiator 240mm EK Single-Radiator 120mm Pump &amp; Resevoir EK-XRES 100 Revo D5 PWM (incl. pump) 4 Noctua NF-F12 industrialPPC 3000 PWM 120mm Fan sleeved in red
      • Monitor:
      • 55 ich 4k lg tv 240 mkz
      • windows 10 pro
      • Misc:
    Thanks
    Level completed: 38%,
    Points required for next Level: 559
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 559
    Overall activity: 0%

i must be dumb i does it beat the 3 gtx580's
    You Raise The Blade You Make The Change

Status

Last Online
    14-04-2012 @ 12:43
    CPU: i5 2500k
    M/B: EVGA p67 FTW
    RAM: 4gig Corsair Dominator GT
    GPU: MSI GTX 580 Lightning XTREME x2
    • Nyarlathotep's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • DangerDen LDR Tower 29
      • PSU:
      • Antec HCP 1200w
      • Cooling:
      • Custom watercooling loop 11 TB apollish fans
      • Monitor:
      • HP 2159m x3
      • Windows 7 Ultimate
      • Misc:
      • R.A.T.7 Razer mechanical keyboard
    Thanks
    Level completed: 69%,
    Points required for next Level: 126
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 126

Quote Originally Posted by aryan51 View Post
    i must be dumb i does it beat the 3 gtx580's
    Not sure, at high resolutions I think 3 3gb 580s would beat out 2 6990s but I'm not sure about 4 6970s.

Status

Last Online
    28-09-2011 @ 23:29
    CPU: i7 2600K @ 5.48 GHz
    M/B: Gigabyte P67A-UD7-B3
    RAM: Ripjaws 4GB x 4 2200 Mhz CAS8
    GPU: #2 6990 @ 1000/1500 (quadfire)
    • XXXFire's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Customized Azza Solano / Radiators: 480, 360, 360, 240 built-in
      • PSU:
      • #2 Kingwin Mach 1, 1220 Watts
      • Cooling:
      • Koolance VID699A # 2 / Apogee XT / 480 360 360 240 MCRQP rads / MCP-35X &amp; MCP-655 pumps / Swiftech Microreservoir
      • Sound:
      • Realtek / Dolby
      • Monitor:
      • 5x1P IPS eyefinity, Samsung S750 HD3D, HP ZR30w IPS (30&quot;)
      • Windows 7 64
      • Misc:
    Thanks
    Level completed: 40%,
    Points required for next Level: 60
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 60

Quote Originally Posted by Nyarlathotep View Post
    Not sure, at high resolutions I think 3 3gb 580s would beat out 2 6990s but I'm not sure about 4 6970s.
    Respectively disagree, at least to the quad 6970 claim (no experience in GTX 580 3GB hardware, though certainly have had priveledge to directly compete with them in quad-sli). I have 5 6970s in possession, 3 of which featuring Komodo WBs (phenomenal block) and an MSI Lightning. Testing conducted vs quad 6970s (x58, overclocked 980x) with expanded PCI-E bandwidth relative my baby p67 saw substantial advantage, in favor the dual GPU Antilles.

The reason? PLX's PEX 8647. An extremely low-latency, 48 lane full 5.0 GT/s providing unparalleled GPU to GPU communication, as well as CPU to PEX 8647 transference. Just as the nf200 increases effective GPU to GPU bandwidth "multiplication" and functions such as PW (post-write) short & Broadast; so does my dearest PEX 8647. In encompasses similar and/or directly emulated express bandwidth functionality, viz. peer to peer communication, dual-cast, gpu fan-out, and variants detailed here:

http://www.plxtech.com/download/file/586

The notorious slight increase in overclocked performance seen in Cayman series GPUs has improved with driver maturation. I remember reviews evaluating "AUSUM" mode bios as providing, at times, 0 to embarrasing minutia of advantage versus default. That, as I hope to show through subsequent testing, is no loner the standard. With recent Catalyst 11.8 revision, relative the performance figures detailed here as 11.5 Catalyst, I'm seeing 10-15% better average framerates &, miraculously, using the term loosely and from extensive personal testing, substantial minimum increases. With such enormous data in play, this result alone makes me smile.

A fun fact for other Radeon 6990 users? In preceding editions of Radeon upper-echelon devices, memory overclocks were amidst the frivolous & negligible performance benefit range. I'm seeing, especially as each of 4 gpus benefit, performance shifts far exceeding any "margin of error" dismissal by cranking up RAM speeds. Just keep a close eye on things, as the modules have EDC RAM that, when pushed beyond it's otherwise impossible to determine maximum, kills performance.

The scaling improves with each 50 Mhz bump in clocks, too, respective the CPU. From 5.1 Ghz SB to 5.5 (where further revisions of my tests will be conducted), I feel confident by, at least in a decent portion of titles under evaluation, a correlative improvement for scaling. I also expect further hardware upgrades to provide further potentiation of these amazing cards & their unparalleled scalability.

Although not included in this review, 5x1 portrait @ 11 megapixels rendered Metro2033 as well as any tandem, trio, or quadruple of upper-echelon graphic processors.. irrespective of video RAM in reserve. Furthermore, at 3x1 portrait, I can hardly remember a single title that wasn't firing on all cylinders through test entirely (that is, 99% GPU usage confirmed by identical thermals reported by GPU-Z). Furthermore, not yet tested with proper data extraction methodology, but anecdotally @ these resolutions I've witnessed near-double, double, or beyond double performance when testing a single 6990 & her crossfire alternative. Can't wait to put my rig back together

Core Member

Status

Last Online
    06-10-2014 @ 05:43
    CPU: 3930k
    M/B: Rampage IV Extreme
    RAM: Dominator 1866mhz
    GPU: EVGA GTX780ti x2 SC
    • bullydog's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Corsair 800D
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX1200
      • Cooling:
      • Swiftech Apogee HD, MCP655 x2 + AirPlex Modularity 480
      • Sound:
      • Sound Blaster Z
      • Monitor:
      • Dell 2408WFP-HC
      • Win7 x64
    Thanks
    Level completed: 54%,
    Points required for next Level: 368
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 368

Love your work, especially your writing Double "Like" definitely fits the bill for a potential reviewer here

Status

Last Online
    14-04-2012 @ 12:43
    CPU: i5 2500k
    M/B: EVGA p67 FTW
    RAM: 4gig Corsair Dominator GT
    GPU: MSI GTX 580 Lightning XTREME x2
    • Nyarlathotep's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • DangerDen LDR Tower 29
      • PSU:
      • Antec HCP 1200w
      • Cooling:
      • Custom watercooling loop 11 TB apollish fans
      • Monitor:
      • HP 2159m x3
      • Windows 7 Ultimate
      • Misc:
      • R.A.T.7 Razer mechanical keyboard
    Thanks
    Level completed: 69%,
    Points required for next Level: 126
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 126

Ok thanks for clearing that up, XXXfire. I read the 6990 reviews when they were initially released but not any follow ups. One review in particular, the HardOCP one that showed trifire (With one 6990+6970) versus tri sli performed better with three individual 6970s versus one 6990 and one 6970, but again, this was before driver maturation.

OC Jedi Master

Status

Last Online
    03-08-2015 @ 17:03
    CPU: Core i7 3820 @ 4.5GHz
    M/B: ASUS Rampage IV
    RAM: 16GB G.Skill RipjawsZ
    GPU: It varies
    • Skyguy's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • SilverStone Raven RV03
      • PSU:
      • SilverStone Strider Gold 1200W
      • Cooling:
      • Noctua D14 air, XSPC 750 water
      • Sound:
      • ASUS Xonar w/ Beyer Dynamics DT770/80
      • Monitor:
      • HP 2465; Samsung 226; Acer 22&quot;, Dell E22WFP &amp; 1907FP
      • Win 7 64-bit
      • Misc:
      • Mionix Naos 5000, MaxKeyboard Nighthawk, Mionix Propus 380
    Thanks
    Level completed: 58%,
    Points required for next Level: 725
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 725
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Overall activity: 20.0%

He used the word "fallacious" without it being misunderstood as another word. I like this guy already.

Banned

Status

Last Online
    25-02-2016 @ 11:04
    CPU: Core i7 3930K
    M/B: ASRock X79 Extreme9
    RAM: 64GBs Kingston Beast 2133MHz
    GPU: Two EVGA GTX 690s in Quad SLI
    • Doctor_Death's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Corsair 900D
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX1200i
      • Cooling:
      • Complete system cooled by EK Water Blocks
      • Sound:
      • Creative Sound Core 3D Audio 7.1
      • Monitor:
      • Dell U3011 30&quot; 2560 x 1600 Res
      • Win 7 Ultimate 64Bit
      • Misc:
      • Asus Blu-Ray, Asus 24X DVD Burner, Max Mechanicalkeyboard / Razer Abyssus Mouse / Razer eXact Mat with wrist rest.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 1,551 Posts
    Level completed: 0%,
    Points required for next Level: 0
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0

I sent him a PM this morning, waiting for a reply.

Status

Last Online
    14-05-2015 @ 03:46
    CPU: PHENOM II AM3 X6 1100T @ 4.3 Ghz (oc)
    M/B: ASUS CROSSHAIR V FORMULA
    RAM: CORSAIR XMS3 1600C7F GT D3 4GB KIT x2
    GPU: ATi HD4890 OC 2GB DDR5 x3 CROSSFIRE-X
    • fatty22's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF-X RED
      • PSU:
      • CROSSAIR AX 1200 WATT
      • Cooling:
      • CM CPU Cooler V8
      • Sound:
      • CREATIVE X-FI FATALITY TITANIU CHAMPION
      • Monitor:
      • BenQ XL2410T x3
      • WINDOWS 7 Ultimate x64
    Thanks
    Level completed: 36%,
    Points required for next Level: 257
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 257

so mean 2 HD6990 crossfire beat gtx580 3ways sli ?

Status

Last Online
    10-10-2011 @ 21:45
    CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 3.2Ghz
    M/B: 890FXA-UD5
    RAM: 4 x 4GB G.Skill Ripjaw
    GPU: Sapphire 5870 (x2) 4GB Crossfire
    • Peonage's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • CoolerMaster HAF 932
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 850W
      • Cooling:
      • 1 x 120mm rear fan 1 x 200mm top fan 1 x 200mm front fan
      • Sound:
      • Realtek ALC889
      • Monitor:
      • 23in.1920x1080 HD
      • Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit
    Thanks
    Level completed: 19%,
    Points required for next Level: 162
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 162
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Overall activity: 6.0%

I found this to be a very informative and enjoyable read. Thanks for making it easy to follow along and now I can't wait to follow the debates that follow. Learning can still be fun!

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links