19-12-2013 @ 02:26
    Thanks
    Level completed: 20%,
    Points required for next Level: 80
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 80
    Overall activity: 1.0%

Default HD 7770 & PSU question

I just started pc gaming. I am building my system now and I am looking for answers. I am not looking to OC anything yet until I get some more experience under my belt on the topics.

AMD, FX-6300
    CROSSHAIR V FORMULA Z
    GEIL 16GB 2133Mhz RAM
    HD 7770 2GB DDR5

Now to support everything here what do I need to power it. I have been told 3 different things and I really need to know as I do not want to destroy my system. I was given a 750w KENTEK PSU... However I have heard and seen evidence of these being really poor quality. I want to order a PSU 80+ RATED and have one in mind. I do not plan on using 2 GPU'S perhaps in the future but not in the next year. So what is the power that I need to run this. I have my eye on a EVGA 500 W PSU. any help would be useful.

Someone also mentioned that the card would bottle neck with that particular processor but I do not know about that. I feel they have it wrong as I have checked the benchmarks and tested the compatibility and they look great together from what I have seen.

Status

Last Online
    20-10-2017 @ 11:01
    CPU: Intel i7-5820k
    M/B: ASRock X99 WS
    RAM: 32GB Crucial DDR4 2133
    GPU: 2 R9-290s Xfire
    • Cyberburnout's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Urban T81
      • PSU:
      • CM Silent 350w
      • Cooling:
      • Custom H20, Ek blocks for CPU and GPUs
      • Sound:
      • ONBOARD
      • Monitor:
      • Dual 24"
      • WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE X64
      • Misc:
      • White LED lighting
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,166 Times in 663 Posts
    Level completed: 78%,
    Points required for next Level: 227
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 227
    Overall activity: 0%

Default Re: HD 7770 & PSU question

Quote Originally Posted by troy1985 View Post
    I just started pc gaming. I am building my system now and I am looking for answers. I am not looking to OC anything yet until I get some more experience under my belt on the topics.

AMD, FX-6300
    CROSSHAIR V FORMULA Z
    GEIL 16GB 2133Mhz RAM
    HD 7770 2GB DDR5

Now to support everything here what do I need to power it. I have been told 3 different things and I really need to know as I do not want to destroy my system. I was given a 750w KENTEK PSU... However I have heard and seen evidence of these being really poor quality. I want to order a PSU 80+ RATED and have one in mind. I do not plan on using 2 GPU'S perhaps in the future but not in the next year. So what is the power that I need to run this. I have my eye on a EVGA 500 W PSU. any help would be useful.

Someone also mentioned that the card would bottle neck with that particular processor but I do not know about that. I feel they have it wrong as I have checked the benchmarks and tested the compatibility and they look great together from what I have seen.
    Thanks for stopping by PureOC.

You will always receive a million different answers when you ask questions like this. It is all up to ones perspective and experience. For me I always play safe and go above what I think I will need for the build. It makes sure I don't run into the oops I miscalculated my power usage scenario and it offers expansion in the future. With what you currently have and what you current expectations are, a 650w PSU should be more then enough. Again to protect yourself a 750-800w is not a bad option. You may want to add the 2nd GPu sooner then expected. You may want to go with a FX8350, You may decide to OC your CPU or GPU or Both. Give yourself those options now so you are not buying another PSU in 3 months.

As for which brand you will get a bunch of answers too. Go with the best and most wattage you can afford at the moment. Simple. Cosair, some of the higher end Thermaltake, NZXT makes some good psus, Be Quiet, EVGA, I know I am forgetting a lot of the top brands but you get the point.

The bottle necking issue should not come into to play with that card. The 6 core 6300 can handle the 7770 with no issues. However if you have not purchased the 7770 yet I would look at the 7790 or new R7 and R9 series gpus instead. The R7-260x is about $20 more then the 7770 and will reap you a whole lot more performance.

i hope this helps.
    "If you got it, Build it"

A+ Certified. Dell, Lenovo, HP, Lexmarks, Xerox, Panasonic and NEC Certified ASP.

Core Member

Status

Last Online
    24-08-2018 @ 17:02
    CPU: INTEL i5 4670k
    M/B: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO
    RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 16GB 2133
    GPU: Two GIGABYTE 670. With EXPC waterblocks and back plats.
    • killjoyjim's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Case Labs Magnum TH 10. With custom paint.
      • PSU:
      • AZZA TITAN 1000w
      • Cooling:
      • D5 pump with dress up kit and block. Custom Res with three XSPC 480mm rads. Swifteck CPU block and Two XSPC water blocks on my 670 cards.
      • Sound:
      • ASUS ROG THUNDERBOLT
      • Monitor:
      • 47'' samsung tv
      • windows 7
      • Misc:
      • OCZ 60gb fot OS. And a OCZ 240 ssd.
    Thanks
    Level completed: 58%,
    Points required for next Level: 725
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 725

WELCOME TO PUREOC...

Status

Last Online
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberburnout View Post
    Thanks for stopping by PureOC.

You will always receive a million different answers when you ask questions like this. It is all up to ones perspective and experience. For me I always play safe and go above what I think I will need for the build. It makes sure I don't run into the oops I miscalculated my power usage scenario and it offers expansion in the future. With what you currently have and what you current expectations are, a 650w PSU should be more then enough. Again to protect yourself a 750-800w is not a bad option. You may want to add the 2nd GPu sooner then expected. You may want to go with a FX8350, You may decide to OC your CPU or GPU or Both. Give yourself those options now so you are not buying another PSU in 3 months.

As for which brand you will get a bunch of answers too. Go with the best and most wattage you can afford at the moment. Simple. Cosair, some of the higher end Thermaltake, NZXT makes some good psus, Be Quiet, EVGA, I know I am forgetting a lot of the top brands but you get the point.

The bottle necking issue should not come into to play with that card. The 6 core 6300 can handle the 7770 with no issues. However if you have not purchased the 7770 yet I would look at the 7790 or new R7 and R9 series gpus instead. The R7-260x is about $20 more then the 7770 and will reap you a whole lot more performance.

i hope this helps.

Thank you guys for the welcome. I was racking my brain over it. I will look into the GPU, I do have a 7770 that was a salvage from a pc left at the end of someones driveway. To bad the raid max case was smashed. The card does work well, I was considering getting a different card in the future. The information was exactly what I needed. currently I am breaking down and old Compaq tower and making a custom case to house my computer guts. The R7 was not even on my radar lol. I had looked at a 7790 but best buy is not a good friend. Amazon had them for a decent price. We shall see I will post pictures i the future after I get it built.

Status

Last Online
    20-10-2017 @ 11:01
    CPU: Intel i7-5820k
    M/B: ASRock X99 WS
    RAM: 32GB Crucial DDR4 2133
    GPU: 2 R9-290s Xfire
    • Cyberburnout's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Urban T81
      • PSU:
      • CM Silent 350w
      • Cooling:
      • Custom H20, Ek blocks for CPU and GPUs
      • Sound:
      • ONBOARD
      • Monitor:
      • Dual 24"
      • WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE X64
      • Misc:
      • White LED lighting
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,166 Times in 663 Posts
    Level completed: 78%,
    Points required for next Level: 227
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 227

Quote Originally Posted by troy1985 View Post
    Thank you guys for the welcome. I was racking my brain over it. I will look into the GPU, I do have a 7770 that was a salvage from a pc left at the end of someones driveway. To bad the raid max case was smashed. The card does work well, I was considering getting a different card in the future. The information was exactly what I needed. currently I am breaking down and old Compaq tower and making a custom case to house my computer guts. The R7 was not even on my radar lol. I had looked at a 7790 but best buy is not a good friend. Amazon had them for a decent price. We shall see I will post pictures i the future after I get it built.

Awesome. Glad we could help! Nice find on the 7770! Yeah the R7s are getting over shadowed by the R9 series and sales for the HD7xxx series gpus. The R7-260x also comes with AMDs new TrueAudio feature.

There is nothing like giving new life to an old case. Wip out the spray paint!
    "If you got it, Build it"

A+ Certified. Dell, Lenovo, HP, Lexmarks, Xerox, Panasonic and NEC Certified ASP.

Status

Last Online
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberburnout View Post
    Awesome. Glad we could help! Nice find on the 7770! Yeah the R7s are getting over shadowed by the R9 series and sales for the HD7xxx series gpus. The R7-260x also comes with AMDs new TrueAudio feature.

There is nothing like giving new life to an old case. Wip out the spray paint!

Yes I have. Trying to pick a color can be hard. I have thought of a black base with olive green over top and distress it so the under coat shows though. And on the inside have all red or orange lighting. But then again I have white and blue in mind.

Status

Last Online
    23-05-2015 @ 01:36
    CPU: AMD FX-8350, 4.7 GHz core, 2400 MHz CPU/NB
    M/B: Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
    RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP Low Voltage @ 2133 MHz
    GPU: Powercolor AXR9 280X TurboDuo (stock)
    • Mgutierrez33's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Corsair Graphite 760T
      • PSU:
      • Fractal Design Newton 800W 80 Plus Platinum PSU
      • Cooling:
      • Cooler Master Glacer 240L
      • Monitor:
      • AOC 2251swdn
      • Windows 7 Ultimate, SP1
      • Misc:
      • Silverstone PP07 white cable extensions
    Thanks
    Level completed: 49%,
    Points required for next Level: 310
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 310

you FOUND the 7770... that's just awesome lol x-). they are solid cards, and it should serve you well.

The website that I use to determine PSU usage is: http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

T
    hey have you essentially input all of your system's hardware and tell you (in a roundabout sort of way) the wattage required for your system build. This site's lite version is good for builds housing up to two video cards and utilizing a single CPU. The paid version also includes amperage recommendations on the rails and is accurate up to quadFire/quad SLI. I have never been let down with this page yet for the various system builds I have put together, so I hope this works out well for ya.

Always remember: the PSU should NEVER be skimped on. Whatever wattage you require for your inevitable system plans, make sure it's at LEAST 80+ Bronze certified and produced by a good known manufacturer. We've done several reviews on this site of PSU's and I can also personally attest to the strength and reliability of Rosewill PSU's.

Core Member

Status

Last Online
    04-07-2019 @ 19:59
    CPU: i7-2600K and FX-8350
    M/B: Gigabyte on both
    RAM: 32GB DDR4-3200 and 64GB DDR4-3000
    GPU: 980Ti SLI and RX480 Crossfire
    • realneil's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Rosewill Blackhawk Ultra & Rosewill Blackhawk
      • PSU:
      • SeaSonic & Rosewill
      • Cooling:
      • Corsair H80 and Corsair H60, Both with dual high flow, low noise fans added.
      • Sound:
      • both onboard
      • Monitor:
      • ASUS 27" & Acer 28" 4K screen
      • Win-7 64Bit on both
      • Misc:
      • Klipsch Speakers, Plextor DVD Burners on all systems. Third System: Z170 Stinger W/i5-6600K, 16GB DDR4-3000, GTX-980 ViewSonic 27" Screen
    Thanks
    Level completed: 66%,
    Points required for next Level: 693
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 693

A good PSU calculator like the one mentioned above is a good way to figure your power needs, but a quality PSU is a must. Corsaire and SeaSonic are good choices that I have been happy with.

www.newegg.com offers a great deal on a modular SeaSonic with clean and steady power.

9. The following user thanks realneil For this above post:

Mgutierrez33 (21-10-2013)

Status

Last Online
    Thanks

Yeah it was a good find. I did not expect much on approach but it was nestled in there and in good working order. Thanks a bunch for the power calculator... My mother gave me a PSU today as a belated B-DAY gift as I do not get to see them much these days. It is an APEVIA 700W PSU.

I do not know much of this PSU, I hear mixed things. I however do not think its 80+, So I probably won't be plugging that up. However it does look nice and the led fan is quite bright and matched most of my color scheme. I will check that sight for power usage. Thanks for the link.

Status

Last Online
    Thanks

Anyway I finished this build everything worked very well and I built another on top of this...

CPU--a10-5800k
    MOBO---MSI FM2-A85XA-G65
    RAM---8GB 1866 AMD PERFORMANCE RAM
    PSU---750W CORSAIRE BUILDER SERIES.
    GPU---R9-280x

Now without the GPU I have been able to play skyrim, batman ark origins, and a few other games. This is defiantly a sweet system and I like using it. The case I chose was a simple one DIABLOTEK predator. I have it fully fan'ed so it stays cool. On the side of the case I installed a 2oo mm fan I could have went 230mm but I was guessing when I was at the store. It glows blue and definitely lights up a room. The case I give it a 9 out of 10 for cable management with everything you could need to build a decent pc. If you have been thinking about building something this build is good and true. The mother board comes with an overclock genie 2 and the bios is easy to navigate and very easy to set up. I have been playing crysis 3 and got better performance out of this that my more costly system. going to try to get another r9 to crossifre with. Love this build more then my 6core build.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links