+ Reply to Thread

Thread: AMD FX CPUs Plus a New 990FX Board Equals Exciting Speculation

i'm a bot and you're not

Status

Last Online
    16-03-2007 @ 21:04
    Thanks

Default AMD FX CPUs Plus a New 990FX Board Equals Exciting Speculation

AMD continuously makes the future look better. Their GPU architecture is taking a turn towards power efficiency, their APUs keep pulling out impressive performance for modern games, and HSA still looks like it has a ton of potential for the future of computing. The problem is when the future becomes today, the excitement can turn to disappointment. I’m at a point of no return with the expectations I have for AMD. So far, with the release of new FX series mobile APUs and an interesting new 990FX motherboard, I’m hoping for the possible release of a new AM3+ CPU.

AMD FX CPUs Plus a New 990FX Board Equals Exciting Speculation-amd_fx_chip_041211-300x297.jpg

At this point, if AMD doesn't deliver some high end by 2016, there is going to be disappointment. On the other hand, I think some good things are going to happen very soon. First, let’s look at the new release of an FX series APU. AMD hasn't released these for full review yet, but quite few people got their hands on a few hour preview. Considering that these were being compared to i7s, in most cases the results were impressive. These APUs aren't blowing away any performance numbers, but let’s take in all considerations. First off, the FX-7600P is only a 35w chip, but the single thread performance is almost to the level of the the previous A10-5800k. That may not sound all that impressive, but the A10 is a massive 100w chip, and has a 4.2Ghz turbo compared to the measly 3.6Ghz turbo of the FX chip! Also, the graphics performance is the best yet with this APU being able to handle every game at 1080p with playable frame rates. This is something the Intel i7s can’t even do. If AMD managed to squeeze this much performance out of low clock speeds and power efficiency, it’s possible that a developed desktop chip could actually start closing the gap on Intel’s performance.

Now a while back, AMD announced that they weren't giving up on the high end segment and that a complete overhaul of the architecture would be coming out. The problem is, it isn’t due out till possibly 2016. That’s a long time to wait but then Sapphire starts showing off a new motherboard that has a custom built block designed to cool the entire board with liquid cooling. The only reason for this would be for some heavy duty overclocks, but the question comes up, “Why now?” The 990fx chipset has been around forever and while the FX series has made some overclocking records, isn’t it a little late to be trying to jump into the game? On the other hand, what if AMD let some manufactures know that they plan on releasing some FX refresh chips on the AM3+ to help enthusiasts hold out until the 2016 release of their new architecture and what if that release was around the holidays this year? This pure speculation and outside of the reasoning, I haven’t seen any leaks that indicate this is actually happening, but one can always hope.

AMD may have some catching up to do but I feel like they are headed in the right direction. As an FX-8350 user, I really enjoy my chip but I would love to see AMD close that gap with Intel while still giving enthusiasts major overclocking potential. While everything written is pure speculation and could be far from the truth, if AMD starts announcing some new high end chips soon I just want to say, “First!”

Read the story in full here...
    Last edited by vinman; 12-06-2014 at 22:15.

Status

Last Online
    Today @ 13:55
    CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K Sandy Bridge
    M/B: ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z/Gen3 Mother Board
    RAM: 16 GB Crucial Ballistix Elite
    GPU: VisionTek Radeon HD 6950
    • vinman's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Phanteks Enthoo Pro
      • PSU:
      • Sparkle 1250 watt 80+Gold PSU
      • Cooling:
      • AirPlex 360 rad Airplex Pro 240 slim rad Swiftech MCP 655 Pump XSPC RAYSTORM CPU Water Block Alphacool Coolplex Pro 10LT Tube Reservoir
      • Sound:
      • On Board
      • Monitor:
      • 24 inch ASUS HDMI
      • Win 7 Ultimate 64bit
    Thanks
    Level completed: 56%,
    Points required for next Level: 355
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 355
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Overall activity: 99.7%

Default Re: AMD FX CPUs Plus a New 990FX Board Equals Exciting Speculation

Good Read thanks

Core Member

Status

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 14:28
    CPU: i7-2600K and FX-8350
    M/B: ASRock Z68 Extreme 7 Gen-3 and 990FX Extreme3
    RAM: 16GB Mushkin Redline 2133 & 16GB GSKill Red 2133
    GPU: 2X-R9-280Xs Crossfire & 2X-GTX-570s SLI
    • realneil's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Rosewill Blackhawk Ultra & Rosewill Blackhawk
      • PSU:
      • SeaSonic & Rosewill
      • Cooling:
      • Corsair H80 and Corsair H60, Both with dual high flow, low noise fans added.
      • Sound:
      • both onboard
      • Monitor:
      • ASUS 27" & Hannspree 24"
      • Win-7 64Bit on both
      • Misc:
      • JBL Creature-II Sound systems on each PC, Plextor DVD Burners on both systems. Third System: AMD FX-8350 on an ASRock Mainboard 16GB GSKill Sniper DDR3-1600 with 2 GTX-570s in SLI Two 120GB SSDs and one 1.5TB HDD Plextor DVD Burner ViewSonic 23" Screen
    Thanks
    Level completed: 81%,
    Points required for next Level: 218
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 218
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Overall activity: 11.0%

"The problem is when the future becomes today, the excitement can turn to disappointment."
    __________________________________________________ ____________________

They'have disappointed before with some of their releases. I blame an overeager advertising campaign just before Bulldozer came out. (those ad guys were canned as I remember)

But I think that the problem may be that they cannot keep up with our ~expectations~.
    They are trying mightily to get back into the game, and making good progress too, but it's hard to keep up with what we think that they should be capable of..

I decided a while ago to throw away all of my AMD expectations, and just wait to see what comes along.

Since then, I have been pleasantly surprised by my Radeon R9-280 OC GPUs.
    My FX-8350 is another welcome surprise too.

I can wait some more too,................

Status

Last Online
    11-09-2014 @ 18:26
    CPU: FX / 8350 / AMD / 4.7Ghz OC
    M/B: Asrock 990FX Extreme9
    RAM: 16gb / Corsair / Vengeance / 1866 / 9-10-9-27
    GPU: MSI / Lightning r7970 / 3gb / x 2 Crossfire
    • joshjaks's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • NZXT Phantom 820
      • PSU:
      • Rosewill / Lightning / 1000w
      • Cooling:
      • Proc / Cooler Master Glacer 240l w/ Prolimatech PK-1 Fans / 4x NZXT 200mm Front, Side and Top/ Rear / 1 x NZXT 140mm GPU / Stock (Twin Frozr)
      • Monitor:
      • Acer 27" LED
      • Windows 8.1
    Thanks
    Level completed: 57%,
    Points required for next Level: 174
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 174
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Overall activity: 37.0%

Quote Originally Posted by realneil View Post
    "The problem is when the future becomes today, the excitement can turn to disappointment."
    __________________________________________________ ____________________

They'have disappointed before with some of their releases. I blame an overeager advertising campaign just before Bulldozer came out. (those ad guys were canned as I remember)

But I think that the problem may be that they cannot keep up with our ~expectations~.
    They are trying mightily to get back into the game, and making good progress too, but it's hard to keep up with what we think that they should be capable of..

I decided a while ago to throw away all of my AMD expectations, and just wait to see what comes along.

Since then, I have been pleasantly surprised by my Radeon R9-280 OC GPUs.
    My FX-8350 is another welcome surprise too.

I can wait some more too,................
    Yeah, I love my 8350 as well. Can't wait to get custom water on it and if money permits, plan to in the next few months.
    Second System: CPU - AMD FX-8350 / Mobo - AsRock 970 Extreme3 R2.0 / Video Card - XFX Radeon HD6870 / Memory - 8gb Gskill Sniper DDR3 1600 9-9-9-24 / Harddrive - Seagate Barracuda 250gb 7200 rpm x 3 Raid 0 / Power Supply - Seasonic X Gold 750w / Case - Sunbeam Transformer / CPU Cooler - Zalman CNPS9900 Max

+ Reply to Thread

Ads