motherboards
Arctic

Thread: A Tech Report Review may Inadvertently Point to something Huge for Overclocking

i'm a bot and you're not

Status

Last Online
    16-03-2007 @ 21:04
    Thanks

Default A Tech Report Review may Inadvertently Point to something Huge for Overclocking

I’d have to hang up my writer’s badge if I failed to mention what I just saw. Sometimes it’s helpful to have nothing to do but slowly watch the Twitter feed tick down to the next, newest thing. In this case, ASUS pointed out a review in which their ROG Maximus VIII Impact had achieved nearly as high of an overclock as other full ATX boards that The Tech Report had previously reviewed. While that’s impressive for a mini-ITX system to achieve such potential, the way it happened could signify a design change for all high end overclocking boards in the future. Apparently, 3D concepts aren’t meant to only be used by memory and storage chips. Even motherboards themselves can decide to go up rather that out. This is how the Impact manages to squeeze in an eight-plus-two phase VRM on that tiny mini-ITX form factor. By using a daughterboard that juts up from the top of the mainboard, ASUS can squeeze those extra VRMs on there while still keeping the small size. I think this could have another inadvertent effect. We all know those VRMs are right next to the CPU socket and we know that both parts are the largest heat sources on the actual mainboard. By sticking the VRMs on a separate board, it could possibly create a little heat island that doesn’t affect the CPU socket nearly as much and allows the cooling to more thoroughly handle the chip, allowing it to be pushed farther! I could be reading way too much into this. Of course, the biggest reason was to give users a strong overclocking mini-ITX motherboard. On the other hand, what if this design could really help separate the VRM heat from the CPU heat and we start seeing it implemented on all kinds of overclocking boards, not just mini-ITX ones? I could imagine a VRM daughterboard with mounts that line up to 120/140mm fan holes so you can mount it on the rear exhaust and use a cable to connect to the motherboard. This could be a huge step to larger frequency boosts that are not only record setters, but even practical for everyday use. I’m not sure if ASUS saw my reply tweet, but I hope we find out an answer from some engineers who would know more about it than I do! http://techreport.com/review/29637/a...board-reviewed https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards...S-VIII-IMPACT/

Read the story in full here...

2. The following user thanks News Team For this above post:

Gu3 (05-02-2016)

Status

Last Online
    22-08-2017 @ 22:03
    Thanks
    Level completed: 91%,
    Points required for next Level: 65
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 65
    Overall activity: 99.5%
    Overall activity: 99.5%

Default Re: A Tech Report Review may Inadvertently Point to something Huge for Overclocking

yesh pleaz
    MOAR MOBOZ LIKE DIS
    learning is good .....understanding is better .....pleas teach with wisdom............................................ ..............calemus

4. The following user thanks calemus For this above post:

joshjaks (05-02-2016)

Status

Last Online
    07-08-2019 @ 11:14
    CPU: ThreadRipper 2950X @4.1Ghz
    M/B: MSI Meg X399 Creation
    RAM: 64GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3000
    GPU: 2x Aorus GTX 1080Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme
    • Smiki007's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Core X9
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova 1600W 80+ G2
      • Cooling:
      • 2x Enermax NEOChanger Res/Pump Combo + 2x Swiftech Xtreme FLow 360mm Rads + ACool Nexxos XT45 240mm Rad + EKWB Pom / Nickel Full Cover TR4 Water Block)
      • Monitor:
      • ASUS VG278H 3D
      • W10 Pro v.1809
    Thanks
    Level completed: 4%,
    Points required for next Level: 1,927
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 1,927
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Overall activity: 99.6%

Default Re: A Tech Report Review may Inadvertently Point to something Huge for Overclocking

Nice, mini but powerful.

Always look beyond the limits...

Gu3

Status

Last Online
    18-04-2019 @ 12:45
    CPU: i7-4770K @ 4GHZ
    M/B: MSI Z87 MPOWER ATX LGA1150
    RAM: 32GB (2 X Crucial 16GB Ballistix Elite (2 x 8GB) CAS 9, DDR3 1866 )
    GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 4GB Dual FTW ACX
    • Gu3's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define R4 Blackout
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic XPS2 / 660W / 660 Platinum
      • Cooling:
      • Swiftech ApogeeXL Water Block Alphacool NexXxos ST30 Full Copper Slim Profile Dual 120mm Radiator EK DDC X-RES Top 140 with 3.2 Pump (PWM) Pump/Res Primochill LST 3/8x5/8" Tubing BitsPower Premium Black Matt Compression Fittings Cougar CF-V12HPB Fans Monsoon Silver Bullet
      • Monitor:
      • 3 x Asus VS247H-P 23.6"
      • Linux Mint 18.1
      • Misc:
      • System Name: Dark Matter Build: http://pcpartpicker.com/b/rrccCJ BIOS Overclock to 4GHZ. Memory @ Stock Speed. Purely an amateur, built for HandBrake.
    Thanks
    Level completed: 81%,
    Points required for next Level: 118
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 118
    Overall activity: 0%
    Overall activity: 0%

I dunno Josh, but you might have something there.

I think that disconnecting the VRMS from the main PCB would be the biggest improvement, the connector this thing sits in is going to isolate the main PCB of the motherboard from a lot of the heat that would normally transfer through the various layers of the board (particularly through the ground layer(s) from the VRM's. Passive cooling would be improved too I'd think.

However, trying to move it much further than a direct connection like this would be tough. To keep the resistance (and thus voltage drop) low, you'd need some beefy wire to carry all the current (although I'd have to think about that some...maybe not), and you wouldn't want it to be too far from the MB due to resistance after all, as I recall that's why they generally keep the VRMs close to the CPU to minimize trace length (and thus voltage drop).

It would seem though that some sort of edge connector solution (like this apparently uses) _might_ have some of the benefits you're postulating...

Just my .02...be interesting to see what some engineers say...

S

7. The following user thanks Gu3 For this above post:

joshjaks (06-02-2016)

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links