ChinaJoy Say What? The SUBOR announcement is something you would think would make a huge splash. AMD has a new gaming console? That’s big news! That said, announcing a new console at ChinaJoy may not mean a whole lot to you. It might help if I told you that this particular trade show is the largest gaming and digital entertainment show in Asia. The company is actually called Subor, but the console appears to have the same name. This is a new gaming PC expected to launch later this year in China. Launching in China, So What? Hang in there a moment. I know this launch is Asia specific, but it could have some major implications for hardware introductions in the US. Let’s look at some specs. As expected, the SOC has a Ryzen CPU with 4 cores and 8 threads. It’s clocked a little lower than others at 3 GHz, but then we have the GPU cores to look at. AMD added 24 Vega CUs running at 1.3 GHz. What surprises me is that there is 8GB of GDDR5 memory on the motherboard, instead of HBM2. On the other hand, it probably has to do with keeping costs down. Considering the SOC is around the size of normal consoles, these specs are pretty impressive. Bring SUBOR to SFF Small-Form-Factor (SFF) systems are great for specific purposes. If you want a home theater PC that can sub as a gaming system in your living room, mini-ITX is the way to go. However, heat and processing power can be obstacles for ideal performance and low noise levels. If AMD could release a mini-ITX board with these specs, it would be an amazing option for a SFF HTPC. Even if the chips are soldered to the board, the cost efficiency could make it a hot selling item for builders trying to keep a small system quiet and powerful. This is pure speculation, but let us know if you would like to see an option like that for SFF builds. https://community.amd.com/community/...amers-in-china  

Read the story in full here...