motherboards
Arctic
Arctic Feezer 7x
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Results 65 to 80 of 97

Thread: Best Mainboard for 2600K OC?

  1. #65
    Regular Member

    Status
    Kung Pow is offline

    Last Online
    16-11-2014 @ 21:20
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    523
    CPU: i7 960 (4.7GHZ)
    M/B: Gigabyte GA X58A-OC
    RAM: Kingston Hyper X DDR3 12 GB
    GPU: MSI GTX 580 Lightning 1GHZ - TWFIII
    • Kung Pow's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Little Devil V8
      • PSU:
      • Revolution +85 1000 Watt
      • Cooling:
      • H2O CPU - Koolance 370 2x480 rads (Phobya G Changer 1.2 D5 Combo 1/2" Tubing
      • Monitor:
      • 42 inch 1920 x 1080 Full HD
      • OS:
      • Windows 7 64
    Thanks
    36
    Thanked 18 Times in 15 Posts
    Points: 7,553, Level: 26
    Points: 7,553, Level: 26
    Level completed: 1%,
    Points required for next Level: 597
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 597
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Overall activity: 6.0%

    Default Re: Best Mainboard for 2600K OC?

    Here is a little show and tell about the Gigabyte ones :



    So actually not many of you are going Ivy just for PCI 3.0?
    The claims about a 680 having a 45% and 670 having 20% performance advantage over a 7970 are yet to be confirmed.
    I personally donīt believe it, and I also donīt believe that a 580 will become so desperately smoked by Kepler as well.

  2. #66
    Regular Member

    Status
    Kung Pow is offline

    Last Online
    16-11-2014 @ 21:20
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    523
    CPU: i7 960 (4.7GHZ)
    M/B: Gigabyte GA X58A-OC
    RAM: Kingston Hyper X DDR3 12 GB
    GPU: MSI GTX 580 Lightning 1GHZ - TWFIII
    • Kung Pow's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Little Devil V8
      • PSU:
      • Revolution +85 1000 Watt
      • Cooling:
      • H2O CPU - Koolance 370 2x480 rads (Phobya G Changer 1.2 D5 Combo 1/2" Tubing
      • Monitor:
      • 42 inch 1920 x 1080 Full HD
      • OS:
      • Windows 7 64
    Thanks
    36
    Thanked 18 Times in 15 Posts
    Points: 7,553, Level: 26
    Points: 7,553, Level: 26
    Level completed: 1%,
    Points required for next Level: 597
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 597
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Overall activity: 6.0%

    Default Re: Best Mainboard for 2600K OC?

    Edit: Also the X79 Boards with 2011 Socket in combination with a 3930K or even lower might be an option.
    But people say that the performance difference between 2600K and 3930K or even 3830 is too marginal.

    Seeing how many of you actually are on z68 with Sandy instead of going 2011 with Sandybridge E also shows that factor, at least to me.

    It is actually very rare that people choose 2011 board and a Sandy E over a z68 or even z77 with Sandy 26K or 27K

  3. #67
    Core Member

    Status
    realneil is offline

    Last Online
    31-12-2019 @ 16:17
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    8,433
    CPU: i7-2600K and FX-8350
    M/B: Gigabyte on both
    RAM: 32GB DDR4-3200 and 64GB DDR4-3000
    GPU: 980Ti SLI and RX480 Crossfire
    • realneil's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Rosewill Blackhawk Ultra & Rosewill Blackhawk
      • PSU:
      • SeaSonic & Rosewill
      • Cooling:
      • Corsair H80 and Corsair H60, Both with dual high flow, low noise fans added.
      • Sound:
      • both onboard
      • Monitor:
      • ASUS 27" & Acer 28" 4K screen
      • OS:
      • Win-7 64Bit on both
      • Misc:
      • Klipsch Speakers, Plextor DVD Burners on all systems. Third System: Z170 Stinger W/i5-6600K, 16GB DDR4-3000, GTX-980 ViewSonic 27" Screen
    Thanks
    1,451
    Thanked 888 Times in 779 Posts
    Points: 99,207, Level: 98
    Points: 99,207, Level: 98
    Level completed: 8%,
    Points required for next Level: 1,843
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,843
    Overall activity: 0%
    Overall activity: 0%

    Default Re: Best Mainboard for 2600K OC?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kung Pow View Post
    I also donīt believe that a 580 will become so desperately smoked by Kepler as well.
    You'll know (all of us will know) ~for sure~ in a very short time!

    That said,......I don't really know how you can come to the conclusion that Kepler will not be as good as what people are saying.

    Are you in the know? You own a Crystal ball?

    I have a friend that works for NVIDIA, and no, he doesn't tell me anything about their upcoming products, but something he did say was interesting.
    On the day that the 7950's and 7970's were released, they were all sitting around waiting for some real live benches from ~released~ 7900 series consumer cards and sweating bullets.
    They didn't know ~for sure~ what the new AMD cards were capable of.
    On that day of AMD's release, they saw the real life numbers, and then they threw a party.


    Quote Originally Posted by Kung Pow View Post
    So actually not many of you are going Ivy just for PCI 3.0?
    There is no real need to, considering the vast majority of available video cards cannot saturate the PCI-E 2.0 bandwidth we have now.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kung Pow View Post
    Edit: Also the X79 Boards with 2011 Socket in combination with a 3930K or even lower might be an option.
    But people say that the performance difference between 2600K and 3930K or even 3830 is too marginal.

    Seeing how many of you actually are on z68 with Sandy instead of going 2011 with Sandybridge E also shows that factor, at least to me.

    It is actually very rare that people choose 2011 board and a Sandy E over a z68 or even z77 with Sandy 26K or 27K
    Socket 2011 is brand new and Sandy Bridge has been out for a long time! Z77 is brand new too. Adaptation by the masses takes some time to happen at today's prices, and Sandy's adaptation started long, long ago. Once someone already has something that's working very well for him, why buy into the next great thing when it's only just a little better?
    You're reading far too much into the situation.
    Last edited by realneil; 20-03-2012 at 09:45.

  4. #68
    Regular Member

    Status
    Kung Pow is offline

    Last Online
    16-11-2014 @ 21:20
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    523
    CPU: i7 960 (4.7GHZ)
    M/B: Gigabyte GA X58A-OC
    RAM: Kingston Hyper X DDR3 12 GB
    GPU: MSI GTX 580 Lightning 1GHZ - TWFIII
    • Kung Pow's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Little Devil V8
      • PSU:
      • Revolution +85 1000 Watt
      • Cooling:
      • H2O CPU - Koolance 370 2x480 rads (Phobya G Changer 1.2 D5 Combo 1/2" Tubing
      • Monitor:
      • 42 inch 1920 x 1080 Full HD
      • OS:
      • Windows 7 64
    Thanks
    36
    Thanked 18 Times in 15 Posts
    Points: 7,553, Level: 26
    Points: 7,553, Level: 26
    Level completed: 1%,
    Points required for next Level: 597
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 597
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Overall activity: 6.0%

    Default Re: Best Mainboard for 2600K OC?

    Quote Originally Posted by realneil View Post
    You'll know (all of us will know) ~for sure~ in a very short time!

    That said,......I don't really know how you can come to the conclusion that Kepler will not be as good as what people are saying.

    Are you in the know? You own a Crystal ball?

    I have a friend that works for NVIDIA, and no, he doesn't tell me anything about their upcoming products, but something he did say was interesting.
    On the day that the 7950's and 7970's were released, they were all sitting around waiting for some real live benches from ~released~ 7900 series consumer cards and sweating bullets.
    They didn't know ~for sure~ what the new AMD cards were capable of.
    On that day of AMD's release, they saw the real life numbers, and then they threw a party.




    There is no real need to, considering the vast majority of available video cards cannot saturate the PCI-E 2.0 bandwidth we have now.
    All the performance information regarding Kepler we have received so far solely originated from a Leak.
    The actual force of expression and factor of truth this information contains is highly questionable to be honest, as it was claimed a 680 would have a 45% performance advantage over a 7970 and a 670 even 20% costing considerably less than a 7970 as well.

    And please stop using this "current cards canīt even fully utilize PCI 2.0" arguement.
    It isnīt that easy.
    Of course a 580 SLI setup run at 2x 16X Lanes will provide better performance compared to a 580 SLI setup only run at 2x 8 Lanes?
    The performance difference will not be considerable, but it will certainly be present!

  5. #69
    Core Member

    Status
    realneil is offline

    Last Online
    31-12-2019 @ 16:17
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    8,433
    CPU: i7-2600K and FX-8350
    M/B: Gigabyte on both
    RAM: 32GB DDR4-3200 and 64GB DDR4-3000
    GPU: 980Ti SLI and RX480 Crossfire
    • realneil's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Rosewill Blackhawk Ultra & Rosewill Blackhawk
      • PSU:
      • SeaSonic & Rosewill
      • Cooling:
      • Corsair H80 and Corsair H60, Both with dual high flow, low noise fans added.
      • Sound:
      • both onboard
      • Monitor:
      • ASUS 27" & Acer 28" 4K screen
      • OS:
      • Win-7 64Bit on both
      • Misc:
      • Klipsch Speakers, Plextor DVD Burners on all systems. Third System: Z170 Stinger W/i5-6600K, 16GB DDR4-3000, GTX-980 ViewSonic 27" Screen
    Thanks
    1,451
    Thanked 888 Times in 779 Posts
    Points: 99,207, Level: 98
    Points: 99,207, Level: 98
    Level completed: 8%,
    Points required for next Level: 1,843
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,843
    Overall activity: 0%
    Overall activity: 0%

    Default Re: Best Mainboard for 2600K OC?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kung Pow View Post
    All the performance information regarding Kepler we have received so far solely originated from a Leak.
    The actual force of expression and factor of truth this information contains is highly questionable to be honest, as it was claimed a 680 would have a 45% performance advantage over a 7970 and a 670 even 20% costing considerably less than a 7970 as well.

    And please stop using this "current cards canīt even fully utilize PCI 2.0" arguement.
    It isnīt that easy.
    Of course a 580 SLI setup run at 2x 16X Lanes will provide better performance compared to a 580 SLI setup only run at 2x 8 Lanes?
    The performance difference will not be considerable, but it will certainly be present!
    This (in red) is why people get pissed off at you. You get to telling people what to do and how to think, but you don't have enough credibility here to do that. Remember that it's YOU who shows up here asking US questions all of the time. Then, when we give you answers, you read about it voraciously and spar with us in the thread. I think of it as picking the fly crap out of the pepper and you do it well.

    It's not fun trying to help someone who argues with you.

    So now I'm done,....again.

  6. #70
    Regular Member

    Status
    Kung Pow is offline

    Last Online
    16-11-2014 @ 21:20
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    523
    CPU: i7 960 (4.7GHZ)
    M/B: Gigabyte GA X58A-OC
    RAM: Kingston Hyper X DDR3 12 GB
    GPU: MSI GTX 580 Lightning 1GHZ - TWFIII
    • Kung Pow's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Little Devil V8
      • PSU:
      • Revolution +85 1000 Watt
      • Cooling:
      • H2O CPU - Koolance 370 2x480 rads (Phobya G Changer 1.2 D5 Combo 1/2" Tubing
      • Monitor:
      • 42 inch 1920 x 1080 Full HD
      • OS:
      • Windows 7 64
    Thanks
    36
    Thanked 18 Times in 15 Posts
    Points: 7,553, Level: 26
    Points: 7,553, Level: 26
    Level completed: 1%,
    Points required for next Level: 597
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 597
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Overall activity: 6.0%

    Default Re: Best Mainboard for 2600K OC?

    Quote Originally Posted by realneil View Post
    This (in red) is why people get pissed off at you. You get to telling people what to do and how to think, but you don't have enough credibility here to do that. Remember that it's YOU who shows up here asking US questions all of the time. Then, when we give you answers, you read about it voraciously and spar with us in the thread. I think of it as picking the fly crap out of the pepper and you do it well.

    It's not fun trying to help someone who argues with you.

    So now I'm done,....again.
    Dude I came here asking about 1155 because it is completely new to me and got good answers.
    I never tried to argue or make any outrages claims regarding that matter lol?

    But what you marked red is just me getting pissed off by you saying something that is not entirely correct regarding PCI 2.0 so I brought it up.
    If you cannot deal with your statements being questioned,I am sorry for you, still you gave good information about 1155 and z68 so I will just move past your last post.

    Moving on.
    Last edited by Kung Pow; 20-03-2012 at 13:44.

  7. #71
    Banned

    Status
    Drdeath is offline

    Last Online
    02-07-2013 @ 01:04
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Chicago Burbs
    Posts
    8,549
    CPU: Intel Core i7 3930K @ 5GHz
    M/B: ASROCK X79 Extreme 6
    RAM: 16G G.Skill Trident 2400MHz
    GPU: 2 x Radeon 2G 7970 Liquid cooled
    • Drdeath's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Phobya CooliT TestBennch
      • PSU:
      • Nexus 1100W
      • Cooling:
      • Custom water. Apogee XT Rev 1, Thermachill TA120.3 plus 120.2, Swiftec Micro res, MCP655
      • Sound:
      • OB
      • Monitor:
      • Viewsonic 27"
      • OS:
      • Win7 64bit
    Thanks
    275
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 880 Posts
    Points: 28,339, Level: 51
    Points: 28,339, Level: 51
    Level completed: 72%,
    Points required for next Level: 311
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 311
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Overall activity: 99.9%

    Default Re: Best Mainboard for 2600K OC?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kung Pow View Post
    Edit: Also the X79 Boards with 2011 Socket in combination with a 3930K or even lower might be an option.
    But people say that the performance difference between 2600K and 3930K or even 3830 is too marginal.

    Seeing how many of you actually are on z68 with Sandy instead of going 2011 with Sandybridge E also shows that factor, at least to me.

    It is actually very rare that people choose 2011 board and a Sandy E over a z68 or even z77 with Sandy 26K or 27K

    Ummm nope. The "E" processors are better. They have 10M L3 cache. I noticed a difference.

  8. #72
    Regular Member

    Status
    Kung Pow is offline

    Last Online
    16-11-2014 @ 21:20
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    523
    CPU: i7 960 (4.7GHZ)
    M/B: Gigabyte GA X58A-OC
    RAM: Kingston Hyper X DDR3 12 GB
    GPU: MSI GTX 580 Lightning 1GHZ - TWFIII
    • Kung Pow's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Little Devil V8
      • PSU:
      • Revolution +85 1000 Watt
      • Cooling:
      • H2O CPU - Koolance 370 2x480 rads (Phobya G Changer 1.2 D5 Combo 1/2" Tubing
      • Monitor:
      • 42 inch 1920 x 1080 Full HD
      • OS:
      • Windows 7 64
    Thanks
    36
    Thanked 18 Times in 15 Posts
    Points: 7,553, Level: 26
    Points: 7,553, Level: 26
    Level completed: 1%,
    Points required for next Level: 597
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 597
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Overall activity: 6.0%

    Default Re: Best Mainboard for 2600K OC?

    Quote Originally Posted by Drdeath View Post
    Ummm nope. The "E" processors are better. They have 10M L3 cache. I noticed a difference.
    I watched a review on youtube from Overclock3D abotu the 3930K and 3960K

    At equal OC range they definitely outperform 26K and 27K.
    But most user reviews show only mid range overclockability of the chips, and a rather low probability of good binning and optimal sillicon conditions.

    It still is a great chip, my only problem with it is the price.
    The performance advantage of Sandybridge E over Sandybridge is not worth the extra money to me though.

    I can get the Extreme7 z68 for 220€, that actually seems cheap to me because I am used to spend 300+ on boards (back in the X58/1366 days, but it seems 1155 is generally not that price intensive.

    The only other board which drew my attention was the new z77 from Gigabyte and the z77 from Asus (Sabertooth & Deluxe)
    They have great features which would interest me.

    I actually wanted to skip Ivy because I thought the performance/feature advantage over Sandybridge was too marginal, but now that I heard it would be rated at the approximately same price point as Sandybridge I actually might consider it.

    So depending on the price of Ivy I might either go z68 + 26K or z77 + Ivy
    Even though z68 Gen3 boards would be compatible with Ivy too, I would prefer z77 since they are specifically designed for it.
    As GPU I will keep my GTX 580 Lightning under Water and stare into Keplerīs face:P
    And when Kepler arrives I might even get a second one if it is cheap.

  9. #73
    Banned

    Status
    Drdeath is offline

    Last Online
    02-07-2013 @ 01:04
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Chicago Burbs
    Posts
    8,549
    CPU: Intel Core i7 3930K @ 5GHz
    M/B: ASROCK X79 Extreme 6
    RAM: 16G G.Skill Trident 2400MHz
    GPU: 2 x Radeon 2G 7970 Liquid cooled
    • Drdeath's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Phobya CooliT TestBennch
      • PSU:
      • Nexus 1100W
      • Cooling:
      • Custom water. Apogee XT Rev 1, Thermachill TA120.3 plus 120.2, Swiftec Micro res, MCP655
      • Sound:
      • OB
      • Monitor:
      • Viewsonic 27"
      • OS:
      • Win7 64bit
    Thanks
    275
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 880 Posts
    Points: 28,339, Level: 51
    Points: 28,339, Level: 51
    Level completed: 72%,
    Points required for next Level: 311
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 311
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Overall activity: 99.9%

    Default Re: Best Mainboard for 2600K OC?

    I have both Kow, the 3930K owns the 2600K. Quit looking at other comparisons. You definitely belittle the guy giving you advise. That's why peeps get mad at ya. Your good with me........... just take the advise..... 3930K is overclocks as good as 2600K. I got 4.9GHz stable 24/7 but core for core it is much better in most apps.

  10. The following user thanks Drdeath For this above post:

    Kung Pow (20-03-2012)

  11. #74
    Regular Member

    Status
    Kung Pow is offline

    Last Online
    16-11-2014 @ 21:20
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    523
    CPU: i7 960 (4.7GHZ)
    M/B: Gigabyte GA X58A-OC
    RAM: Kingston Hyper X DDR3 12 GB
    GPU: MSI GTX 580 Lightning 1GHZ - TWFIII
    • Kung Pow's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Little Devil V8
      • PSU:
      • Revolution +85 1000 Watt
      • Cooling:
      • H2O CPU - Koolance 370 2x480 rads (Phobya G Changer 1.2 D5 Combo 1/2" Tubing
      • Monitor:
      • 42 inch 1920 x 1080 Full HD
      • OS:
      • Windows 7 64
    Thanks
    36
    Thanked 18 Times in 15 Posts
    Points: 7,553, Level: 26
    Points: 7,553, Level: 26
    Level completed: 1%,
    Points required for next Level: 597
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 597
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Overall activity: 6.0%

    Default Re: Best Mainboard for 2600K OC?

    It was just a conclusion of mine, of course I canīt say for sure how it overclocks since I donīt have it
    And regarding neil, he gave good advice and I clicked the thank button obviously.
    He just cannot deal with having his statements questioned when they leave too much room for interpretation.
    What he said regarding PCI 2.0 is not true and I merely put in my thought, not more or less, if he thinks he has to come on to me for it, there you go.
    He cannot expect for everything he says to be swallowed, of course some statments will be discussed and argued about, this is a forum and he finally needs to understand that everybody is entitled to their right so speak their mind, regardless if he likes it nor not.

    As I said I still appreciate his contributions here, despite him frowning, which is why I clicked thank for him
    And as a matter of fact I think I havenīt gotten you yet, so there you go, thank clicked

    Are you going to consider Ivybridge? or even the Extreme version?
    I think I saw you writing somewhere that you wanted to get Kepler so I would imagine that you would then get Ivy too in order to use PCI 3.0

  12. #75
    Banned

    Status
    Doctor_Death is offline

    Last Online
    25-02-2016 @ 11:04
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Punxsutawney, Pa. - USA
    Posts
    11,789
    CPU: Core i7 3930K
    M/B: ASRock X79 Extreme9
    RAM: 64GBs Kingston Beast 2133MHz
    GPU: Two EVGA GTX 690s in Quad SLI
    • Doctor_Death's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Corsair 900D
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX1200i
      • Cooling:
      • Complete system cooled by EK Water Blocks
      • Sound:
      • Creative Sound Core 3D Audio 7.1
      • Monitor:
      • Dell U3011 30" 2560 x 1600 Res
      • OS:
      • Win 7 Ultimate 64Bit
      • Misc:
      • Asus Blu-Ray, Asus 24X DVD Burner, Max Mechanicalkeyboard / Razer Abyssus Mouse / Razer eXact Mat with wrist rest.
    Thanks
    339
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 1,551 Posts
    Points: 490,204, Level: 100
    Points: 490,204, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%,
    Points required for next Level: 0
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Overall activity: 0%

    Default Re: Best Mainboard for 2600K OC?

    The new Sandy Bridge -E 3820 is also a great chip for $319, it can hit 4.5GHz easily

  13. The following user thanks Doctor_Death For this above post:

    Kung Pow (20-03-2012)

  14. #76
    Regular Member

    Status
    Kung Pow is offline

    Last Online
    16-11-2014 @ 21:20
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    523
    CPU: i7 960 (4.7GHZ)
    M/B: Gigabyte GA X58A-OC
    RAM: Kingston Hyper X DDR3 12 GB
    GPU: MSI GTX 580 Lightning 1GHZ - TWFIII
    • Kung Pow's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Little Devil V8
      • PSU:
      • Revolution +85 1000 Watt
      • Cooling:
      • H2O CPU - Koolance 370 2x480 rads (Phobya G Changer 1.2 D5 Combo 1/2" Tubing
      • Monitor:
      • 42 inch 1920 x 1080 Full HD
      • OS:
      • Windows 7 64
    Thanks
    36
    Thanked 18 Times in 15 Posts
    Points: 7,553, Level: 26
    Points: 7,553, Level: 26
    Level completed: 1%,
    Points required for next Level: 597
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 597
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Overall activity: 6.0%

    Default Re: Best Mainboard for 2600K OC?

    The 3820 would actually be in my CPU budget.

    There are a lot of 26K vs 3820 threads as a matter of fact, because they both are at a similar price point.

    The 3820 definitely gets hotter due to a rated TDP of 130W as opposed to 26K which only pulls 95W.

    Personally not having owned either of them I can only rely on reviews, and according to those the 26K is said to overclock better.

    On the other hand the 3820 is a hexa core so I would imagine similar if not even better performance than 26K at lower OCs.

    Doc & Death share some experiences regarding your 2011 chips
    Both of you also ran and overclocked 26K so how does it do compared to the Sandy E?

  15. #77
    Moderator

    Status
    Solara2xb is offline

    Last Online
    30-08-2017 @ 03:07
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Alta Loma, CA
    Posts
    5,172
    CPU: Intel i7 5930K / Intel i7 4820K / Intel i7 4790K
    M/B: ASUS X99 R5E / ASUS X79 Sabertooth / ASUS Z97 MVIIF
    RAM: 32GB Kingston DDR4 3000MHz / 32GB Corsair 1866MHz / 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz
    GPU: EVGA GTX780 TRI SLI Classy / EVGA GTX 780 SLI / XFX R9 290 (xfire) w XSPC WB
    • Solara2xb's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Corsair 750D / Corsair A540 / NZXT P630
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 1000G2 / Corsair AX1200 / Corsair AX1200
      • Cooling:
      • ALL Systems running Custom Water Cooling
      • Monitor:
      • 3x Dell 24" IPS on XFX Triple Stand 5760x1200
      • OS:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate
    Thanks
    1,225
    Thanked 558 Times in 491 Posts
    Points: 221,036, Level: 100
    Points: 221,036, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%,
    Points required for next Level: 0
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Overall activity: 0%

    Default Re: Best Mainboard for 2600K OC?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kung Pow View Post
    The 3820 would actually be in my CPU budget.

    There are a lot of 26K vs 3820 threads as a matter of fact, because they both are at a similar price point.

    The 3820 definitely gets hotter due to a rated TDP of 130W as opposed to 26K which only pulls 95W.

    Personally not having owned either of them I can only rely on reviews, and according to those the 26K is said to overclock better.

    On the other hand the 3820 is a hexa core so I would imagine similar if not even better performance than 26K at lower OCs.

    Doc & Death share some experiences regarding your 2011 chips
    Both of you also ran and overclocked 26K so how does it do compared to the Sandy E?
    I did allot of reading on the 3820 chip before I purchased mine also.
    Although I don't have my set-up yet (TH10 build) I read allot of good things and saw allot of good bench marks for the 3820. At the price point of the CPU and being the new X79 boards this give you allot more room to grow IMO. Allot of the information for the X79 I got here from PureOC and its members. Also talked to Drdeath about the set-up and gave me some good advice.

    Boards cost a little more but in the end with it being newer Tech you have more room for future proofing. Also some of the higher end boards offer 2x PCIe 3.0 vs. most of the z68 and z77 boards offering only 1. But the efficient part is that the CPU is better performance to help boast overall performance of the entire build IMO.

    Once I get my system I will have a better ideal of performance compared to my OC i5 2500k and my AMD builds. I wish I had a i7 2600k to compare but I didn't want to buy another chip when my i5 works just fine..

  16. #78
    Regular Member

    Status
    Kung Pow is offline

    Last Online
    16-11-2014 @ 21:20
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    523
    CPU: i7 960 (4.7GHZ)
    M/B: Gigabyte GA X58A-OC
    RAM: Kingston Hyper X DDR3 12 GB
    GPU: MSI GTX 580 Lightning 1GHZ - TWFIII
    • Kung Pow's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Little Devil V8
      • PSU:
      • Revolution +85 1000 Watt
      • Cooling:
      • H2O CPU - Koolance 370 2x480 rads (Phobya G Changer 1.2 D5 Combo 1/2" Tubing
      • Monitor:
      • 42 inch 1920 x 1080 Full HD
      • OS:
      • Windows 7 64
    Thanks
    36
    Thanked 18 Times in 15 Posts
    Points: 7,553, Level: 26
    Points: 7,553, Level: 26
    Level completed: 1%,
    Points required for next Level: 597
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 597
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Overall activity: 6.0%

    Default Re: Best Mainboard for 2600K OC?

    Quote Originally Posted by Solara2xb View Post
    I did allot of reading on the 3820 chip before I purchased mine also.
    Although I don't have my set-up yet (TH10 build) I read allot of good things and saw allot of good bench marks for the 3820. At the price point of the CPU and being the new X79 boards this give you allot more room to grow IMO. Allot of the information for the X79 I got here from PureOC and its members. Also talked to Drdeath about the set-up and gave me some good advice.

    Boards cost a little more but in the end with it being newer Tech you have more room for future proofing. Also some of the higher end boards offer 2x PCIe 3.0 vs. most of the z68 and z77 boards offering only 1. But the efficient part is that the CPU is better performance to help boast overall performance of the entire build IMO.

    Once I get my system I will have a better ideal of performance compared to my OC i5 2500k and my AMD builds. I wish I had a i7 2600k to compare but I didn't want to buy another chip when my i5 works just fine..
    Yeah I think you have a point.

    I have read a bunch about 1155 and 2011 up until this point, and I think both 1155 on z68 with 2600K/2700K and 2011 on x79 with all of the 3XXX chips have their advantages.

    2x PCI 3.0 is also available on z68/z77 boards though such as for example the Fatal1ty Gen3.

    2011 boards have a higher RAM capacity option, other than that I personally cannot find any major features or advantages over z77 or z68 other than of course the hexa core CPUs.

    I always thought 2011 only made sense from a 3930 upwards, but the 3820 is a nice CPU, definitely

    I personally do a lot of video encoding, so the onboard graphics with 1155 come in handy, and the 3820 unfortunately doesnīt have it.

    Also the fact that the 26K is unlocked plays somewhat of a roll to me, because it makes overclocking by far more conveniant in my opinion.

    The 3820 is a hexa core CPU though, that fact alone gives it relevance
    Death also said that his 2011 chip overclocked very well.

    I guess it comes down to what one needs.

    Here is a nice comparison of the two though:
    Core i7-3820 Vs Core i7-2600K | Compare Processors

  17. #79
    Banned

    Status
    Drdeath is offline

    Last Online
    02-07-2013 @ 01:04
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Chicago Burbs
    Posts
    8,549
    CPU: Intel Core i7 3930K @ 5GHz
    M/B: ASROCK X79 Extreme 6
    RAM: 16G G.Skill Trident 2400MHz
    GPU: 2 x Radeon 2G 7970 Liquid cooled
    • Drdeath's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Phobya CooliT TestBennch
      • PSU:
      • Nexus 1100W
      • Cooling:
      • Custom water. Apogee XT Rev 1, Thermachill TA120.3 plus 120.2, Swiftec Micro res, MCP655
      • Sound:
      • OB
      • Monitor:
      • Viewsonic 27"
      • OS:
      • Win7 64bit
    Thanks
    275
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 880 Posts
    Points: 28,339, Level: 51
    Points: 28,339, Level: 51
    Level completed: 72%,
    Points required for next Level: 311
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 311
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Overall activity: 99.9%

    Default Re: Best Mainboard for 2600K OC?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kung Pow View Post
    It was just a conclusion of mine, of course I canīt say for sure how it overclocks since I donīt have it
    And regarding neil, he gave good advice and I clicked the thank button obviously.
    He just cannot deal with having his statements questioned when they leave too much room for interpretation.
    What he said regarding PCI 2.0 is not true and I merely put in my thought, not more or less, if he thinks he has to come on to me for it, there you go.
    He cannot expect for everything he says to be swallowed, of course some statments will be discussed and argued about, this is a forum and he finally needs to understand that everybody is entitled to their right so speak their mind, regardless if he likes it nor not.

    As I said I still appreciate his contributions here, despite him frowning, which is why I clicked thank for him
    And as a matter of fact I think I havenīt gotten you yet, so there you go, thank clicked

    Are you going to consider Ivybridge? or even the Extreme version?
    I think I saw you writing somewhere that you wanted to get Kepler so I would imagine that you would then get Ivy too in order to use PCI 3.0

    You will never saturate the bandwith at PCIE 2.0.

  18. #80
    Member

    Status
    DooRules is offline

    Last Online
    22-04-2012 @ 14:22
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Newfoundland, Canada
    Posts
    59
    CPU: 3960X
    M/B: RIVE
    RAM: Gskill 16 gb 2133
    GPU: 3 x EVGA HC2 580's
    • DooRules's Full Spec's
      • PSU:
      • 2 x Thermaltake 1200W
      • Cooling:
      • Chip and GPU's H20
      • Monitor:
      • Dell 30" & 24"
      • OS:
      • W7 64
      • Misc:
      • RIVE X79 is an awesome mobo
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 15 Times in 11 Posts
    Points: 383, Level: 4
    Points: 383, Level: 4
    Level completed: 33%,
    Points required for next Level: 67
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 67
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Overall activity: 2.0%

    Default Re: Best Mainboard for 2600K OC?

    I also have had both. The 2600k was an awesome chip and the 1155 platform great. My 2600k would do 5.5 on any bench easy.

    The 2011 socket with 3960 just eats it for lunch in just about any bench you can think of. If performance is the only metric here there is no choice, it's the 2011 socket. If you are on a budget then all bets are off.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. MSI Launches its Z68 mainboard series
    By News Team in forum Hardware News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-05-2011, 15:20
  2. Scary Mainboard Temps
    By TDotts25 in forum Cooling
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 11-03-2011, 17:19
  3. New P8P67 mainboard cpu help
    By stickies in forum CPU Overclocking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-02-2011, 00:56
  4. Sapphire First With Apu Mainboard
    By News Team in forum Hardware News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-01-2011, 14:50
  5. XFX Releases X58i Mainboard
    By News Team in forum Hardware News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 18-12-2008, 05:40

Search tags for this page

asrock z68 extreme4 gen3
,

asrock z77 extreme 4 review

,
asrock z77 extreme7
,
asrock z77 extreme9
,
best motherboard for 2600k overclocking
,
fatal1ty z68 pro gen3 oc 2 vs 4 dimm
,
great minds think alike quote
,
train chiller micro prossesor board
,
z69 vs z77
,
z77 vs asrock extreme 7
Click on a term to search for related topics.

Tags for this Thread