RAM: 16gb / Geil / EvoX / 16-16-16-36 / 3200 MHz
    GPU: Sapphire / R9 290 Vapor-X / 4gb / x 2 Crossfire
    • joshjaks's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Core V71
      • PSU:
      • Rosewill / Lightning / 1000w
      • Cooling:
      • Proc / Swiftech Apogee II Block, Enermax NEOllusion Res Fans / 4x NZXT 200mm Front and Top / 2 x Corsair AF140mm Purple LED Bottom and Back GPU / Stock (Vapor-X)
      • Monitor:
      • Viewsonic 27" LED FreeSync
      • Windows 10
      • Misc:
      • NZXT Grid+ Fan Controller
    Thanks
    Level completed: 1%,
    Points required for next Level: 999
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 999
    Overall activity: 0%

Default Re: What do you think...

Quote Originally Posted by Ciarlatano View Post
    Congrats on the puppy!

BTW- that puppy would probably be more functional as an Intel board than anything made by Gigabyte or ASRock Gigabyte makes great AMD boards, my 990FX UD5 blew the CHV away. However, as far as Intel, well, Gigabyte makes great AMD boards. Gigabyte Intel boards always have all kinds of weird issues due to something being designed or coded incorrectly, and always some low quality chips hiding somewhere (next thing you know you are looking for a driver for a controller made by "Fred's Discount Silicon of Boise, Idaho"). And ASRock makes great $79 boards (even when they charge $199 for them), but not really applicable in this conversation.
    That puppy is a border collie. He's smarter than 100 motherboards! lol Question on the Gigabyte and Asrock fronts. It seemed like both companies did really good when it came to the Z170 boards specifically. Was there any improvements or was it just eye candy?

Core Member

Status

Last Online
    08-09-2017 @ 13:12
    CPU: Intel 4790K @ 4.6GHz
    M/B: ASUS Z97 Sabertooth
    RAM: 16GB Patriot Viper Xtreme D4 2133
    GPU: nVidia GTX 780 Reference
    • Ciarlatano's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Phanteks Evolv ATX
      • PSU:
      • be quiet! DPP 10 1000W
      • Cooling:
      • EKWB Supremacy EVO, Swiftech Komodo NV-LE, D5 PWM Monsoon MMRS HWL Nemesis 360GTS 3 Phanteks F120MP, 3 Phanteks F140SP
      • Sound:
      • ASUS Essence STX
      • Monitor:
      • ASUS 24"
      • Windows 7 64
    Thanks
    Level completed: 55%,
    Points required for next Level: 406
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 406

Quote Originally Posted by joshjaks View Post
    That puppy is a border collie. He's smarter than 100 motherboards! lol Question on the Gigabyte and Asrock fronts. It seemed like both companies did really good when it came to the Z170 boards specifically. Was there any improvements or was it just eye candy?
    ASRock is always eye candy (and names that appeal to teens....that are still better than owls that appeal to no one), still full of second tier components. They OC well, though, just like ASRock always have.
    I really can't say with the Gigabytes, I haven't used any of their Z170. But, I haven't seen a lot of negatives about them floating around, either, which is a good sign.

Status

Last Online
    02-07-2020 @ 09:42
    CPU: AMD / Ryzen / 1700X / 3850 MHz
    M/B: Asrock X370 Taichi
    • joshjaks's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Core V71
      • PSU:
      • Cooling:
      • Proc / Swiftech Apogee II Block, Enermax NEOllusion Res Fans / 4x NZXT 200mm Front and Top / 2 x Corsair AF140mm Purple LED Bottom and Back GPU / Stock (Vapor-X)
      • Monitor:
      • Windows 10
      • Misc:
    Thanks

ASRock is always eye candy (and names that appeal to teens....that are still better than owls that appeal to no one), still full of second tier components. They OC well, though, just like ASRock always have.
    I really can't say with the Gigabytes, I haven't used any of their Z170. But, I haven't seen a lot of negatives about them floating around, either, which is a good sign.
    Yeah, I remember thinking Gigabyte was falling off the world during the Z97 series. Then Z170 came out and they looked A LOT better. I would love to be using some Intel about now but I keep getting lined up with AMD reviews. Working towards it though. If Gigabyte has weird bios code issues on the Z170s, that would be really frustrating!

Core Member

Status

Last Online
      • Case:
      • Phanteks Evolv ATX
      • PSU:
      • be quiet! DPP 10 1000W
      • Cooling:
      • EKWB Supremacy EVO, Swiftech Komodo NV-LE, D5 PWM Monsoon MMRS HWL Nemesis 360GTS 3 Phanteks F120MP, 3 Phanteks F140SP
      • Sound:
      • ASUS Essence STX
      • Monitor:
      • ASUS 24"
      • Windows 7 64
    Thanks

Yeah, I remember thinking Gigabyte was falling off the world during the Z97 series. Then Z170 came out and they looked A LOT better. I would love to be using some Intel about now but I keep getting lined up with AMD reviews. Working towards it though. If Gigabyte has weird bios code issues on the Z170s, that would be really frustrating!
    Not sure I should have called the Z87 and Z97 issues BIOS coding issues, since I don't know for a fact that was the cause. I should be broader and say "the settings in BIOS were not always what actually took place during usage, especially where voltages were concerned". Lots of "why is my CPU running so hot with only 1.2V?" questions around, only to find out that the boards were feeding the chips .15~.2V higher which is way out of Haswell's comfort zone.

Gu3

Status

Last Online
    18-04-2019 @ 12:45
    CPU: i7-4770K @ 4GHZ
    M/B: MSI Z87 MPOWER ATX LGA1150
    RAM: 32GB (2 X Crucial 16GB Ballistix Elite (2 x 8GB) CAS 9, DDR3 1866 )
    GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 4GB Dual FTW ACX
    • Gu3's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define R4 Blackout
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic XPS2 / 660W / 660 Platinum
      • Cooling:
      • Swiftech ApogeeXL Water Block Alphacool NexXxos ST30 Full Copper Slim Profile Dual 120mm Radiator EK DDC X-RES Top 140 with 3.2 Pump (PWM) Pump/Res Primochill LST 3/8x5/8" Tubing BitsPower Premium Black Matt Compression Fittings Cougar CF-V12HPB Fans Monsoon Silver Bullet
      • Monitor:
      • 3 x Asus VS247H-P 23.6"
      • Linux Mint 18.1
      • Misc:
      • System Name: Dark Matter Build: http://pcpartpicker.com/b/rrccCJ BIOS Overclock to 4GHZ. Memory @ Stock Speed. Purely an amateur, built for HandBrake.
    Thanks
    Level completed: 81%,
    Points required for next Level: 118
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 118

You know...I've kinda been impressed with the ASROCKs I've played with, but I always kinda preface that thought with "...for the Money...". Asus has always been rock solid for me, but historically, ...for the money, (lately) I tend to lean towards MSI. I've also always had good luck with Gigabyte, but I tend to look on them a bit with Disdain, which is weird since I've never had any problems with them...LOL.

However, unlike a lot of peeps here, I tend not to significantly Overclock, which means I likely don't put the strain on the components that others do. So lesser components tend to work a bit better. I'm also a big fan of quality power supplies (and have been for years), which likely helps too.

For me, right now, I'd probably almost ALWAYS select MSI or ASUS for my main machines, and for secondary machines, I'd probably consider Gigabyte or ASROCK, just for cost management really. I've been intrigued by some of the EVGA offerings, but never pulled the trigger on any of them, and I never even pay attention to BIOSTAR any more (mostly because I thought they'd died a long time ago! lol).

S.

Status

Last Online
    15-09-2020 @ 00:11
    CPU: Intel Core i7 - 4770K
    M/B: MSI Z87 MPOWER
    RAM: 32 GB DDR3 2400 G.SKILL SNIPER
    GPU: 2X- EVGA GFORCE GTX 960 4GB FTW
    • vinman's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Phanteks Enthoo Lux
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SUPERNOVA P2 PLATNIUM 1200W PSU
      • Cooling:
      • AirPlex 360 rad Airplex Pro 240 slim rad Swiftech MCP 655 Pump XSPC RAYSTORM CPU Water Block Monsoon Premium Modular 2 bay Reservoir
      • Sound:
      • On Board
      • Monitor:
      • 27 inch Predator 144 Hz 1440 gaming
      • Win10 PRO 64bit
      • Misc:
      • Razer Black Widow Ultimate KEYBOARD, Razor Death Adder Elite mouse
    Thanks
    Level completed: 63%,
    Points required for next Level: 670
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 670

Quote Originally Posted by Gu3 View Post
    You know...I've kinda been impressed with the ASROCKs I've played with, but I always kinda preface that thought with "...for the Money...". Asus has always been rock solid for me, but historically, ...for the money, (lately) I tend to lean towards MSI. I've also always had good luck with Gigabyte, but I tend to look on them a bit with Disdain, which is weird since I've never had any problems with them...LOL.

However, unlike a lot of peeps here, I tend not to significantly Overclock, which means I likely don't put the strain on the components that others do. So lesser components tend to work a bit better. I'm also a big fan of quality power supplies (and have been for years), which likely helps too.

For me, right now, I'd probably almost ALWAYS select MSI or ASUS for my main machines, and for secondary machines, I'd probably consider Gigabyte or ASROCK, just for cost management really. I've been intrigued by some of the EVGA offerings, but never pulled the trigger on any of them, and I never even pay attention to BIOSTAR any more (mostly because I thought they'd died a long time ago! lol).

S.
    Other then EVGA I have their PSU and Video cards Thats me too

Core Member

Status

Last Online
      • Case:
      • Phanteks Evolv ATX
      • PSU:
      • be quiet! DPP 10 1000W
      • Cooling:
      • Sound:
      • ASUS Essence STX
      • Monitor:
      • ASUS 24"
      • Windows 7 64
    Thanks

S.
    JMHO -

That's the thing about ASRock - they spent years making the best board "for the money" around. They led the pack of second tier boards by a long stretch, and they were priced right. Since the break away from ASUS, they have gone into better marketing that portrays them as top tier, better looking boards (I think they look awful, but I could see the attraction for those that like words having to do with violent death scrawled on their M and have raised pricing. But when you break down the components of the board.....they are still the class of the second tier. Nothing has changed excepting the marketing and pricing.

EVGA Classified boards were unbelievably good at one time. They are still solid, but tend to be quirky and not worth the high cost when compared with ASUS and MSI boards.

Biostar? Yikes. Thinking about it, ASRock is kind of alone in the second tier - though Sandy says the new ECS are actually decent quality, so they may be there. Does Biostar even get a "tier"? Can there be a subterranean "tier"?

For Intel, I have used ASUS and MSI only in my own rigs since P67 - I was using a P55-UD5 Gigabyte prior that was an incredible board, with an infuriating issue that plagued that whole series - the CPU would sometimes lose contact with 1-2 memory controller brushes and you would have to open the case and wiggle the CPU cooler to right it.

For AMD, I am Gigabyte all the way.

Status

Last Online
    • joshjaks's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Core V71
      • PSU:
      • Cooling:
      • Monitor:
      • Windows 10
      • Misc:
    Thanks

JMHO -

That's the thing about ASRock - they spent years making the best board "for the money" around. They led the pack of second tier boards by a long stretch, and they were priced right. Since the break away from ASUS, they have gone into better marketing that portrays them as top tier, better looking boards (I think they look awful, but I could see the attraction for those that like words having to do with violent death scrawled on their M and have raised pricing. But when you break down the components of the board.....they are still the class of the second tier. Nothing has changed excepting the marketing and pricing.

EVGA Classified boards were unbelievably good at one time. They are still solid, but tend to be quirky and not worth the high cost when compared with ASUS and MSI boards.

Biostar? Yikes. Thinking about it, ASRock is kind of alone in the second tier - though Sandy says the new ECS are actually decent quality, so they may be there. Does Biostar even get a "tier"? Can there be a subterranean "tier"?

For Intel, I have used ASUS and MSI only in my own rigs since P67 - I was using a P55-UD5 Gigabyte prior that was an incredible board, with an infuriating issue that plagued that whole series - the CPU would sometimes lose contact with 1-2 memory controller brushes and you would have to open the case and wiggle the CPU cooler to right it.

For AMD, I am Gigabyte all the way.
    I will say since the Sabertooth was the absolute last AMD board I've tried out, it's my ultimate favorite 990FX now. If I needed M.2 though, it would be the Gigabyte. By the time I have M.2, I hope to be using Kabylake or Zen though since M.2 is pretty much overkill for how old piledriver is. If I can sell my Asrock 990FX Extreme9 with 16 GBs of included Corsair Vengeance ram though for $100, I'll buy the Asus 970 pro/gaming Aura for my 6350 review I'm about to start.

Core Member

Status

Last Online
      • Case:
      • Phanteks Evolv ATX
      • PSU:
      • be quiet! DPP 10 1000W
      • Cooling:
      • Sound:
      • ASUS Essence STX
      • Monitor:
      • ASUS 24"
      • Windows 7 64
    Thanks

I will say since the Sabertooth was the absolute last AMD board I've tried out, it's my ultimate favorite 990FX now. If I needed M.2 though, it would be the Gigabyte. By the time I have M.2, I hope to be using Kabylake or Zen though since M.2 is pretty much overkill for how old piledriver is. If I can sell my Asrock 990FX Extreme9 with 16 GBs of included Corsair Vengeance ram though for $100, I'll buy the Asus 970 pro/gaming Aura for my 6350 review I'm about to start.
    All of the Sabertooths are beasts - Z97, X99, 99FX, Z170. Funny thing, people keep telling me I really "need" and Aquaero 5 or 6 for my fans and pump. I looked at them, and I would actually lose some flexibility going from what is built into the Sabertooth Z97. While AiSuite as a whole is a bloated, buggy piece of software, the Thermal Radar (and Fan Xpert 3 on other boards) works incredibly well. The Sabertooths are just incredibly stable, flexible and bullet proof. You just can't use their audio sections unless you have a tin ear.

Gu3

Status

Last Online
    • Gu3's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • PSU:
      • Cooling:
      • Swiftech ApogeeXL Water Block Alphacool NexXxos ST30 Full Copper Slim Profile Dual 120mm Radiator EK DDC X-RES Top 140 with 3.2 Pump (PWM) Pump/Res Primochill LST 3/8x5/8" Tubing BitsPower Premium Black Matt Compression Fittings Cougar CF-V12HPB Fans Monsoon Silver Bullet
      • Monitor:
      • Linux Mint 18.1
      • Misc:
      • System Name: Dark Matter Build: http://pcpartpicker.com/b/rrccCJ BIOS Overclock to 4GHZ. Memory @ Stock Speed. Purely an amateur, built for HandBrake.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vinman View Post
    Other then EVGA I have their PSU and Video cards Thats me too
    Well, Video cards and PSU's are another matter for sure! EVGA's Video Cards are pretty much the only ones I look at these days. All my machines are rockin EVGA for that. And I'll buy EVGA PSUs (thanks to you guys) as readily as a Seasonic pretty much any day, and if they're Seasonic based EVGA's that's even better.

S.

Gu3

Status

Last Online
    • Gu3's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • PSU:
      • Cooling:
      • Monitor:
      • Linux Mint 18.1
      • Misc:
    Thanks

JMHO -
    ECS...oh yeah, them. They're still around? Really? I had a couple of ECS's back in the day. Can't remember if they were AMD DX# boards, Intel DX# boards, or something else entirely. Could have even been an early Core 2 duo or something. Hmmmm...can't even recall if they were OK boards. LOL

Oh, what about Shuttle? They used to make mainstream Motherboards...do they still? I'd have to look for them.

S.

Status

Last Online
    13-09-2020 @ 09:53
    CPU: ThreadRipper 2950X @4.1Ghz
    M/B: MSI Meg X399 Creation
    RAM: 64GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3000
    GPU: 2x Aorus GTX 1080Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme
    • Smiki007's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Core X9
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova 1600W 80+ G2
      • Cooling:
      • 2x Enermax NEOChanger Res/Pump Combo + 2x Swiftech Xtreme FLow 360mm Rads + ACool Nexxos XT45 240mm Rad + EKWB Pom / Nickel Full Cover TR4 Water Block)
      • Monitor:
      • ASUS VG278H 3D
      • W10 Pro v.1809
    Thanks
    Level completed: 0%,
    Points required for next Level: 0
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0

Well, Video cards and PSU's are another matter for sure! EVGA's Video Cards are pretty much the only ones I look at these days. All my machines are rockin EVGA for that. And I'll buy EVGA PSUs (thanks to you guys) as readily as a Seasonic pretty much any day, and if they're Seasonic based EVGA's that's even better.

S.
    The EVGAs PSUs are great, I have Supernova 1600W rated 80+ G but actually delivers 80+ P, the VGAs too (since my first EVGA GTX 480, I stick with EVGA), regarding of motherboards the best EVGA mobo was SR2 (LGA 1366), this board still keep some world records (I think). Reading the EVGA forum, many of newly mobos (z97, x79, x99), have/d various BIOS problems, I can't tell for sure is this a true or not, I never had one in my position.

Always look beyond the limits...

Core Member

Status

Last Online
      • Case:
      • Phanteks Evolv ATX
      • PSU:
      • be quiet! DPP 10 1000W
      • Cooling:
      • Sound:
      • ASUS Essence STX
      • Monitor:
      • ASUS 24"
      • Windows 7 64
    Thanks

ECS...oh yeah, them. They're still around? Really? I had a couple of ECS's back in the day. Can't remember if they were AMD DX# boards, Intel DX# boards, or something else entirely. Could have even been an early Core 2 duo or something. Hmmmm...can't even recall if they were OK boards. LOL

Oh, what about Shuttle? They used to make mainstream Motherboards...do they still? I'd have to look for them.

S.
    Was Shuttle ever really mainstream? They always made the weirdest stuff. Wasn't their slogan "Whaddya Mean You Want All The Peripherals To Work?????".
    They still make like 4000 different barebones systems, and not a single one of them makes the least bit of sense.

Status

Last Online
    • joshjaks's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Core V71
      • PSU:
      • Cooling:
      • Monitor:
      • Windows 10
      • Misc:
    Thanks

Well, now that Asus has restored my faith with the Sabertooth R2.0, I'm probably gonna try and stick with them from here out. That being said, I'll always consider an MSI board if it's significantly cheaper. Tying to be like the best isn't really a bad thing. Asrock will be my go to budget option. I'm a huge fan of Asrock because they've never let me down, and their support is better than anybody else. I've done a lot of support calls and RMA with Asus and MSI. Asus support is like a 2/10, MSI is probably a 6 or 7, Asrock is a 9 or 10/10! Somebody buy my 990FX board with the RAM so I can get an Aura to review on!!!

Core Member

Status

Last Online
      • Case:
      • Phanteks Evolv ATX
      • PSU:
      • be quiet! DPP 10 1000W
      • Cooling:
      • Sound:
      • ASUS Essence STX
      • Monitor:
      • ASUS 24"
      • Windows 7 64
    Thanks

Well, now that Asus has restored my faith with the Sabertooth R2.0, I'm probably gonna try and stick with them from here out. That being said, I'll always consider an MSI board if it's significantly cheaper. Tying to be like the best isn't really a bad thing. Asrock will be my go to budget option. I'm a huge fan of Asrock because they've never let me down, and their support is better than anybody else. I've done a lot of support calls and RMA with Asus and MSI. Asus support is like a 2/10, MSI is probably a 6 or 7, Asrock is a 9 or 10/10! Somebody buy my 990FX board with the RAM so I can get an Aura to review on!!!
    I think you are being generous in your assessment of ASUS "support". It is the biggest run around I have ever seen. Absolutely awful. Actually the sole reason I am waiting for an EVGA 1070 to come in stock. I could have had an ASUS or MSI a couple of weeks ago, but I would rather wait than take the risk of needing to deal with ASUS in the case of an issue, and I'm just not as confident in MSI GPUs as I should be.....which is odd, since I have had several (using one right now) and never had any issues.

Status

Last Online
    15-09-2020 @ 00:11
    CPU: Intel Core i7 - 4770K
    M/B: MSI Z87 MPOWER
    RAM: 32 GB DDR3 2400 G.SKILL SNIPER
    GPU: 2X- EVGA GFORCE GTX 960 4GB FTW
    • vinman's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Phanteks Enthoo Lux
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SUPERNOVA P2 PLATNIUM 1200W PSU
      • Cooling:
      • AirPlex 360 rad Airplex Pro 240 slim rad Swiftech MCP 655 Pump XSPC RAYSTORM CPU Water Block Monsoon Premium Modular 2 bay Reservoir
      • Sound:
      • On Board
      • Monitor:
      • 27 inch Predator 144 Hz 1440 gaming
      • Win10 PRO 64bit
      • Misc:
      • Razer Black Widow Ultimate KEYBOARD, Razor Death Adder Elite mouse
    Thanks
    Level completed: 63%,
    Points required for next Level: 670
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 670

My next board will definitely be an MSI as I have had very good support and really no issues whatsoever with my current board, it works and over-clocks really well. if I had to complain about anything it would
    be the buggy killer network, and bios interface, which was mostly me just getting use to navigating through its settings.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links