• CPU is an ES processor with 8 cores/16 threads
    Thanks
    Level completed: 22%,
    Points required for next Level: 1,093
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 1,093
    Overall activity: 0%

Default Re: Which Linux?

I am probably a step behind Scott in that my daily driver runs 7. It is just all the others that run Cinnamon Mint.

There is certainly a good case for running a second machine with Mint alongside your windows machine as you become less concerned about playing around with stuff particularly file system stuff and over time you WILL find that things become second nature.

For me the bonus was that I could do things either from the command line or the GUI and again as I have become a little more proficient not only do I find myself remembering the CLI but I also find that for certain things it is quicker.

In the beginning there is much to be said for being able to look things up on your Win pc then doing on your Linux pc
    Rig2: 2*e5-26xx (16c/32t @2.4), Asus z9 pe-d8 ws, 32gb ripjawsz under water, rig3 2*e5-26xx (16c/32t @2.4), Supermicro 7047A-T 16GB 1600 ecc reg, on air, Rig4: 2*e5-26xx (16c/32t @3.1), Supermicro x9 DAi 16GB 1600 ecc reg, on air, Rig5: 2*e5-2660 (16c/32t @2.7), Supermicro x9 DRW iF 32GB 1600 ecc reg, on air

Status

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 16:44
    CPU: ThreadRipper 2950X @4.1Ghz
    M/B: MSI Meg X399 Creation
    RAM: 64GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3000
    GPU: 2x Aorus GTX 1080Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme
    • Smiki007's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Core X9
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova 1600W 80+ G2
      • Cooling:
      • 2x Enermax NEOChanger Res/Pump Combo + 2x Swiftech Xtreme FLow 360mm Rads + ACool Nexxos XT45 240mm Rad + EKWB Pom / Nickel Full Cover TR4 Water Block)
      • Monitor:
      • ASUS VG278H 3D
      • W10 Pro v.1809
    Thanks
    Level completed: 0%,
    Points required for next Level: 0
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.3%

Quote Originally Posted by Gu3 View Post
    Sorry to hear that Smiki.

Multi-boot eh?

No worries, it's not for everybody. And the first time is always the worst. I tried Linux a number of times before I ever really pulled the trigger and actually switched to it. If you really want to play with it, and not risk your computer, I'd pick up a NUC or maybe even a pi-3 just to play with it an learn. NUC's or similar PC's are great for that sort of stuff, and relatively inexpensive.

Perhaps in the future. I've turned the corner the other way, and absolutely loathe the W these days.

Scott
    Quote Originally Posted by grumpydaddy View Post
    I am probably a step behind Scott in that my daily driver runs 7. It is just all the others that run Cinnamon Mint.

There is certainly a good case for running a second machine with Mint alongside your windows machine as you become less concerned about playing around with stuff particularly file system stuff and over time you WILL find that things become second nature.

For me the bonus was that I could do things either from the command line or the GUI and again as I have become a little more proficient not only do I find myself remembering the CLI but I also find that for certain things it is quicker.

In the beginning there is much to be said for being able to look things up on your Win pc then doing on your Linux pc
    You two probably right but, the big disadvantage for me to use Linux is that there is not a single specialized software for mining, aerial photogrammetry, GIS, LIDAR, I'm currently using on my Windows PC, and as I do not manage networks, I do not see how Linux can help me. Maybe in the near future when I build other PC, it will be just for Linux (to organize family photos, my music collection, movies, etc.)

Always look beyond the limits...

Gu3

Status

Last Online
    18-04-2019 @ 12:45
    CPU: i7-4770K @ 4GHZ
    M/B: MSI Z87 MPOWER ATX LGA1150
    RAM: 32GB (2 X Crucial 16GB Ballistix Elite (2 x 8GB) CAS 9, DDR3 1866 )
    GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 4GB Dual FTW ACX
    • Gu3's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define R4 Blackout
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic XPS2 / 660W / 660 Platinum
      • Cooling:
      • Swiftech ApogeeXL Water Block Alphacool NexXxos ST30 Full Copper Slim Profile Dual 120mm Radiator EK DDC X-RES Top 140 with 3.2 Pump (PWM) Pump/Res Primochill LST 3/8x5/8" Tubing BitsPower Premium Black Matt Compression Fittings Cougar CF-V12HPB Fans Monsoon Silver Bullet
      • Monitor:
      • 3 x Asus VS247H-P 23.6"
      • Linux Mint 18.1
      • Misc:
      • System Name: Dark Matter Build: http://pcpartpicker.com/b/rrccCJ BIOS Overclock to 4GHZ. Memory @ Stock Speed. Purely an amateur, built for HandBrake.
    Thanks
    Level completed: 81%,
    Points required for next Level: 118
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 118

Quote Originally Posted by Smiki007 View Post
    You two probably right but, the big disadvantage for me to use Linux is that there is not a single specialized software for mining, aerial photogrammetry, GIS, LIDAR, I'm currently using on my Windows PC, and as I do not manage networks, I do not see how Linux can help me. Maybe in the near future when I build other PC, it will be just for Linux (to organize family photos, my music collection, movies, etc.)
    Yeah, bespoke applications are a big problem. I'd be really surprised if there isn't a Linux version of relatively capable GIS software though. RTK and whatnot are so heavily used, I'm amazed really. Having said that, if you're using something like ArcGIS or similar tools, it's not doubt in ESRI's interest to keep it tight and proprietary. (Interesting article here: Desktop GIS for Linux: An Introduction | Linux Journal).

I have similar issues at work, as I do a lot of interfacing with Mechanical Engineering firms for custom enclosures and the like. Industry standard drawing/modeling tools are also limited on Linux, and vendors typically use things like SolidWorks or Autocad, which aren't terribly Linux friendly...LOL.

Your course of future action is a good one. I started in my house with my Media Server, which is running Ubuntu Server 14.04, PLEX Media Server, SAMBA (File Services), and contains a 12+ TB ZFS RAIDZ2 Array for data storage. Frankly the thing is bulletproof. It just runs. My server has something like 450+ Blu-Ray resolution movies on it, and serves up movies and music to every Roku, Smartphone, SmartTV in my house, and requires almost NO maintenance. Learning how to build and maintain it was a huge step in my Linux conversion. After that was up and running, I joined PureOC and built my main box (Dark Matter), which evolved from a Win7 box to Linux Mint....then I bought an MSI Cubi PC (Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more - Newegg.com for my Mrs to surf the web and play around on, and it runs Linux Mint XFCE like a champ. Boots in like 3 seconds, and just works. Perfection.

Now, I'm seriously considering converting my Ultrabook to Linux, or buying a Purism Laptop (linux from the bios to the desktop) and going pure Linux on the road.

Linux isn't for everyone, nor is it even the best option in some cases. But as I get older and more cranky the endless maintenance on my Windows Machines (constant updates that Microsoft doesn't even bother explaining), the prevalence of security issues, the agonizing stupidity of the interface in many cases ("dumbing down"), the here's what we built, now shut up and color attitude of Microsoft, Adobe, etc, etc, just put me off completely, never mind the Windows 10 privacy debacle.

I keep Windows 10 around for a few reasons really. 1 Games. Sadly, although it is getting better, most of the games I like are released on Windows. 2. School. Stupidly, some Universities still effectively require Microsoft Products (Virginia Tech I'm looking at you), for certain classes, and definitely prefer MS Office formats over other options. 3. My damned Logitech Harmony remote. Love the thing, but it's only programmable through a crap Windows App. 4. Arguably, benchmarking and overclocking. Linux just isn't as friendly to these sorts of things as Windows. Primarily I suppose because the people most interested in Benchmarking and Overclocking tend to use PC's for Gaming, so it makes sense to do these things on Windows.

Sorry. Long post to say...I hope you try it again in the future! It surprises me that I'm a Linux guy myself, so when I get talking about it....meh.

Scott

4. The following user thanks Gu3 For this above post:

Smiki007 (28-06-2016)

Gu3

Status

Last Online
    • Gu3's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • PSU:
      • Cooling:
      • Swiftech ApogeeXL Water Block Alphacool NexXxos ST30 Full Copper Slim Profile Dual 120mm Radiator EK DDC X-RES Top 140 with 3.2 Pump (PWM) Pump/Res Primochill LST 3/8x5/8" Tubing BitsPower Premium Black Matt Compression Fittings Cougar CF-V12HPB Fans Monsoon Silver Bullet
      • Monitor:
      • Linux Mint 18.1
      • Misc:
      • System Name: Dark Matter Build: http://pcpartpicker.com/b/rrccCJ BIOS Overclock to 4GHZ. Memory @ Stock Speed. Purely an amateur, built for HandBrake.
    Thanks

Yup! Amen! Exactly how I feel about these things. At first the CLI was a bit daunting (and a bit reminiscent of the days of DOS), but now I almost always have a Bash Shell open in a Term, with some purpose. Heck, I bought into a VPS the other day to play around with setting up my own Web Server, IRC, SSL, etc, and it was cool to be able to sit in my house in Virginia, and completely manage a Virtual Machine hosted in some data center in Jersey. I spent the whole day just screwing around with this thing. The power of Linux is astonishing really.

S

Folding Team Leader

Status

Last Online
    23-03-2019 @ 20:29
    CPU: E5-26xx @2.54
    M/B: MSI X79 GD45 8d
    RAM: 16GB (2*8) G-Skill Trident X 2400 10,12,12 @1866
    GPU: sapphire hd7950
    • grumpydaddy's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC90B
      • PSU:
      • PC P&C 910
      • Cooling:
      • C4 NIC
      • Sound:
      • with mb
      • Monitor:
      • dell 24inch
      • Win7 Ult
      • Misc:
    Thanks

Hey Scott,

Do you have a beard?

LinuxBeard.com
    Rig2: 2*e5-26xx (16c/32t @2.4), Asus z9 pe-d8 ws, 32gb ripjawsz under water, rig3 2*e5-26xx (16c/32t @2.4), Supermicro 7047A-T 16GB 1600 ecc reg, on air, Rig4: 2*e5-26xx (16c/32t @3.1), Supermicro x9 DAi 16GB 1600 ecc reg, on air, Rig5: 2*e5-2660 (16c/32t @2.7), Supermicro x9 DRW iF 32GB 1600 ecc reg, on air

Status

Last Online
    • Smiki007's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Core X9
      • PSU:
      • Cooling:
      • 2x Enermax NEOChanger Res/Pump Combo + 2x Swiftech Xtreme FLow 360mm Rads + ACool Nexxos XT45 240mm Rad + EKWB Pom / Nickel Full Cover TR4 Water Block)
      • Monitor:
      • ASUS VG278H 3D
      • W10 Pro v.1809
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gu3 View Post
    Yeah, bespoke applications are a big problem. I'd be really surprised if there isn't a Linux version of relatively capable GIS software though. RTK and whatnot are so heavily used, I'm amazed really. Having said that, if you're using something like ArcGIS or similar tools, it's not doubt in ESRI's interest to keep it tight and proprietary. (Interesting article here: Desktop GIS for Linux: An Introduction | Linux Journal).

I have similar issues at work, as I do a lot of interfacing with Mechanical Engineering firms for custom enclosures and the like. Industry standard drawing/modeling tools are also limited on Linux, and vendors typically use things like SolidWorks or Autocad, which aren't terribly Linux friendly...LOL.

Your course of future action is a good one. I started in my house with my Media Server, which is running Ubuntu Server 14.04, PLEX Media Server, SAMBA (File Services), and contains a 12+ TB ZFS RAIDZ2 Array for data storage. Frankly the thing is bulletproof. It just runs. My server has something like 450+ Blu-Ray resolution movies on it, and serves up movies and music to every Roku, Smartphone, SmartTV in my house, and requires almost NO maintenance. Learning how to build and maintain it was a huge step in my Linux conversion. After that was up and running, I joined PureOC and built my main box (Dark Matter), which evolved from a Win7 box to Linux Mint....then I bought an MSI Cubi PC (Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more - Newegg.com for my Mrs to surf the web and play around on, and it runs Linux Mint XFCE like a champ. Boots in like 3 seconds, and just works. Perfection.

Now, I'm seriously considering converting my Ultrabook to Linux, or buying a Purism Laptop (linux from the bios to the desktop) and going pure Linux on the road.

Linux isn't for everyone, nor is it even the best option in some cases. But as I get older and more cranky the endless maintenance on my Windows Machines (constant updates that Microsoft doesn't even bother explaining), the prevalence of security issues, the agonizing stupidity of the interface in many cases ("dumbing down"), the here's what we built, now shut up and color attitude of Microsoft, Adobe, etc, etc, just put me off completely, never mind the Windows 10 privacy debacle.

I keep Windows 10 around for a few reasons really. 1 Games. Sadly, although it is getting better, most of the games I like are released on Windows. 2. School. Stupidly, some Universities still effectively require Microsoft Products (Virginia Tech I'm looking at you), for certain classes, and definitely prefer MS Office formats over other options. 3. My damned Logitech Harmony remote. Love the thing, but it's only programmable through a crap Windows App. 4. Arguably, benchmarking and overclocking. Linux just isn't as friendly to these sorts of things as Windows. Primarily I suppose because the people most interested in Benchmarking and Overclocking tend to use PC's for Gaming, so it makes sense to do these things on Windows.

Sorry. Long post to say...I hope you try it again in the future! It surprises me that I'm a Linux guy myself, so when I get talking about it....meh.

Scott
    Scott, I've decided to give another shot to LMC, so I have a question:
    As I reorganized my storage system this way:
    1. Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 512GB SSD (Windows 10 and Programs)
    2. WD Black 1TB HDD (Working Projects and files)
    3. Micron Real SSD 256GB (Games)
    4. Crucial M500 960GB SSD (empty)
    I thought to install Linux Mint Cinnamon to Crucial SSD and to use it for Linux and storage of my photos, music, movies, surfing the internet without making any secondary partition (use all 960GB as one partition). Is that OK? Other thing is there a Chrome for Linux or mint integrated Firefox is enough.
    Thanks.

Status

Last Online
    • Smiki007's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Core X9
      • PSU:
      • Cooling:
      • Monitor:
      • ASUS VG278H 3D
      • W10 Pro v.1809
    Thanks

Hey Scott,

Do you have a beard?

LinuxBeard.com
    If has, he probably looks like:

Core Member

Status

Last Online
    08-09-2017 @ 13:12
    CPU: Intel 4790K @ 4.6GHz
    M/B: ASUS Z97 Sabertooth
    RAM: 16GB Patriot Viper Xtreme D4 2133
    GPU: nVidia GTX 780 Reference
    • Ciarlatano's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Phanteks Evolv ATX
      • PSU:
      • be quiet! DPP 10 1000W
      • Cooling:
      • EKWB Supremacy EVO, Swiftech Komodo NV-LE, D5 PWM Monsoon MMRS HWL Nemesis 360GTS 3 Phanteks F120MP, 3 Phanteks F140SP
      • Sound:
      • ASUS Essence STX
      • Monitor:
      • ASUS 24"
      • Windows 7 64
    Thanks
    Level completed: 55%,
    Points required for next Level: 406
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 406

I thought to install Linux Mint Cinnamon to Crucial SSD and to use it for Linux and storage of my photos, music, movies, surfing the internet without making any secondary partition (use all 960GB as one partition). Is that OK? Other thing is there a Chrome for Linux or mint integrated Firefox is enough.
    Thanks.
    Two things:

1. Unless it changed in Win 10, you will not be able to access anything on the Linux drive from Windows if you format in Linux native ext3 or 4. You can format the disk and install Linux in NTFS, though. I know there are some disadvantages, but I have totally forgotten what they are.

2. Chrome for Linux works very well.

Status

Last Online
    • Smiki007's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Core X9
      • PSU:
      • Cooling:
      • Monitor:
      • ASUS VG278H 3D
      • W10 Pro v.1809
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ciarlatano View Post
    Two things:

1. Unless it changed in Win 10, you will not be able to access anything on the Linux drive from Windows if you format in Linux native ext3 or 4. You can format the disk and install Linux in NTFS, though. I know there are some disadvantages, but I have totally forgotten what they are.

The SSD is NTFS formatted, so how I can install Linux on it?

Core Member

Status

Last Online
    08-09-2017 @ 13:12
    CPU: Intel 4790K @ 4.6GHz
    M/B: ASUS Z97 Sabertooth
    RAM: 16GB Patriot Viper Xtreme D4 2133
    GPU: nVidia GTX 780 Reference
    • Ciarlatano's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Phanteks Evolv ATX
      • PSU:
      • be quiet! DPP 10 1000W
      • Cooling:
      • EKWB Supremacy EVO, Swiftech Komodo NV-LE, D5 PWM Monsoon MMRS HWL Nemesis 360GTS 3 Phanteks F120MP, 3 Phanteks F140SP
      • Sound:
      • ASUS Essence STX
      • Monitor:
      • ASUS 24"
      • Windows 7 64
    Thanks
    Level completed: 55%,
    Points required for next Level: 406
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 406

Standard install, just specify NTFS when it is preparing the disk.

Gu3

Status

Last Online
    • Gu3's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • PSU:
      • Cooling:
      • Monitor:
      • Linux Mint 18.1
      • Misc:
    Thanks

Hey Scott,

Do you have a beard?

LinuxBeard.com
    Not this week!

S.

Gu3

Status

Last Online
    • Gu3's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • PSU:
      • Cooling:
      • Monitor:
      • Linux Mint 18.1
      • Misc:
    Thanks

Thanks.
    Yeah, that works. LM will likely create a /boot and /swap partition, and then you could use the remainder of the disk for data storage. There is Chrome & Chromium on Linux, both are fine, and Firefox is good too. There are a variety of other browsers out there as well.

S.

Gu3

Status

Last Online
    • Gu3's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • PSU:
      • Cooling:
      • Monitor:
      • Linux Mint 18.1
      • Misc:
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ciarlatano View Post
    Two things:

With all respect to Cirlatano, DO NOT DO THIS.

You lose all the protection that EXT4 provides (journaling file system) provides to the OS. This is truly a bad idea, at least for the /boot partition. As for as the rest of the SSD, yeah you could do NTFS certainly, although again, I don't recommend it. There are Windows Drivers (3 Ways to Access Your Linux Partitions From Windows or https://www.paragon-software.com/home/extfs-windows/) that allow you to recognize, read and (sometimes) write files from Windows to Linux.

Personally, I rarely find the need, but the NTFS solution might be the most transparent. Linux will certainly be able to read your Windows partitions, so as long as you had a transfer directory, you could always move files back and forth. Both OS's also read FAT32, so thumb drives and a lot of external drives are immediately visible to both OS's.
    Scott

Gu3

Status

Last Online
    • Gu3's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • PSU:
      • Cooling:
      • Monitor:
      • Linux Mint 18.1
      • Misc:
    Thanks

The Linux installer will re-partition and format. If you select advanced, you could specify the size of the /boot, /swap, and add a /data partition, which could remain or be formatted as NTFS.

Scott

Folding Team Leader

Status

Last Online
    23-03-2019 @ 20:29
    CPU: E5-26xx @2.54
    M/B: MSI X79 GD45 8d
    RAM: 16GB (2*8) G-Skill Trident X 2400 10,12,12 @1866
    GPU: sapphire hd7950
    • grumpydaddy's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC90B
      • PSU:
      • PC P&C 910
      • Cooling:
      • C4 NIC
      • Sound:
      • with mb
      • Monitor:
      • dell 24inch
      • Win7 Ult
      • Misc:
    Thanks

You might consider mounting a Windows share:

www.techrepublic.com/article/how-to-permanently-mount-a-windows-share-on-linux/

Gu3

Status

Last Online
    • Gu3's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • PSU:
      • Cooling:
      • Monitor:
      • Linux Mint 18.1
      • Misc:
    Thanks

You might consider mounting a Windows share:

www.techrepublic.com/article/how-to-permanently-mount-a-windows-share-on-linux/
    Yeah, that's the best way, but I think he's dual booting, so either one OS or the other will be alive, not both...that's what I do (NFS and SAMBA). Works perfectly.

S.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links