motherboards
Arctic
Arctic Cooling Products

Thread: TN Film, MVA, PVA and IPS Which one's for you?

Status

Last Online
    18-04-2014 @ 20:26
    CPU: Core 2 E2180 @ 3.2 Ghz
    M/B: MSI P965
    RAM: 2x1 GB OCZ Platinum
    GPU: X800 GTO
    • Jameson's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • on desk :)
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic M12 700W
      • Cooling:
      • Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
      • Monitor:
      • Dell 2407 WFP
      • Windows XP SP2
      • Misc:
      • oh my god what happened to my uber rig?
    Thanks

Default TN Film, MVA, PVA and IPS Which one's for you?

The choice in the TFT market can be baffling at times, and with multiple panel manufacturers out there all with different pros and cons, which one's for you?

Read on

Status

Last Online
    07-04-2007 @ 23:35
    CPU: intel dc 6600 4mb
    M/B: asus p5w-dh deluxe
    RAM: Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400 2GB DDR2-800
    GPU: nvidia 7900 gto 512mb
    Thanks
    Level completed: 52%,
    Points required for next Level: 194
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 194
    Overall activity: 27.0%

i read the article and it was very helpful and informing.

now i just need help on narrowing down the list of monitors that are good for me. some of the things im looking for are:

$350-$400 range

22"-24" Widescreen Size

HDMI connector

true 8bit panel with 16.7 million colors.

new backlight with >90% backlight coverage.

i'll be using the monitor for gaming and watching movies with an external hdmi dvd player. i browse the internet a lot so a good dot pixel is good but i know thats hard to come by in bigger size monitors. looks like average is somewhere between .27-.28.

hopefuly if its the new backlight with the true 8bit panel itle help minimize any ghosting or pixel blurring which i dont want any of since i'll be watching movies.

so can anyone recommend me a good one or should i wait a few more months for more monitors to hit the market? i hope my old 19" compaq crt holds out till then! its beginning to show whiteish lines everywhere.

Status

Last Online
    18-04-2014 @ 20:26
    CPU: Core 2 E2180 @ 3.2 Ghz
    M/B: MSI P965
    RAM: 2x1 GB OCZ Platinum
    GPU: X800 GTO
    • Jameson's Full Spec's
      • Case:
      • on desk :)
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic M12 700W
      • Cooling:
      • Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
      • Monitor:
      • Dell 2407 WFP
      • Windows XP SP2
      • Misc:
      • oh my god what happened to my uber rig?
    Thanks

I believe Simon is working on a guide to answer these very questions. I'll give him a shout, see if he can help you.

Monitor & Panels

Status

Last Online
    10-04-2007 @ 17:56
    Thanks
    Level completed: 28%,
    Points required for next Level: 288
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 288
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Overall activity: 13.0%

Quote Originally Posted by sk11vengeance View Post
    i read the article and it was very helpful and informing.

now i just need help on narrowing down the list of monitors that are good for me. some of the things im looking for are:

$350-$400 range

22"-24" Widescreen Size

HDMI connector

true 8bit panel with 16.7 million colors.

new backlight with >90% backlight coverage.

i'll be using the monitor for gaming and watching movies with an external hdmi dvd player. i browse the internet a lot so a good dot pixel is good but i know thats hard to come by in bigger size monitors. looks like average is somewhere between .27-.28.

hopefuly if its the new backlight with the true 8bit panel itle help minimize any ghosting or pixel blurring which i dont want any of since i'll be watching movies.

so can anyone recommend me a good one or should i wait a few more months for more monitors to hit the market? i hope my old 19" compaq crt holds out till then! its beginning to show whiteish lines everywhere.
    Hi sk11vengeance, glad you found the article handy. I think from the specs and requirements you list, you are going to have a very hard, actually impossible, time finding a suitable LCD monitor at this moment in time. Firstly, and most importantly, the price range specified is really going to limit you to a 22" model, since I'm not aware of any 23"/24" models at $400 or less (unless there are some over there in the US which are so low priced?)

The second problem will then be that if you are looking at 22" models due to the price limitations, then all of the models so far available in the market are based on TN Film technology. This in turn will mean you are limited to panels which do not have true 8-bit colour depth, but use 6-bit+FRC. There are some rumours of non-TN panels in the 22" market, but I don't think they will become very popular due to the price difference manufacturers would probably have to introduce.

Another problem is that there aren't many models out yet which use enhanced CCFL backlighting to achieve more than the normal 72% NTSC colour space coverage. Again, models like the Dell 2707WFP, and 3007WFP-HC are well out of the price range.

Lastly (sorry, I feel like I'm being a real bearer of bad news here! ) there are only a couple of screens in todays market which feature HDMI interfaces. Again, models that do like the BenQ FP241W and LG L245WP are out of the price range considerably.

There may be a little confusion about this bit I think. Having enhanced colour gamut and 8-bit panel depth will not affect ghosting or blurring at all I'm afraid. Panel responsiveness is not affected by these aspects, but is controlled by response time, as well as any advanced technologies like BFI or MPA, designed to reduce preceived motion blur. I'd suggest you would be pretty hard pressed to find a modern panel which is not responsive enough for movie viewing, most modern panels are very good in this regard. Improved colour gamut and 8-bit panel depth are more important when it comes to colour critical work, photoshop etc, and I doubt you'd really see any real difference in practice during movies or gaming.

It sounds though like you are looking for a top end monitor, but I think what you may want to consider is increasing the budget a bit. If you can, then you may well find you can get a monitor which suits your other requirements quite nicely. For instance, if you can push the budget up to around $700 you could look at the BenQ FP241W perhaps. Being a 24" model, the 1920 x 1200 resolution affords you a better pixel pitch than a 22" model (0.270mm as compared to 0.282mm). Models in the 24" market all feature panels which are not TN Film (at least at the moment), and the BenQ uses a P-MVA panel from AU Optronics. This will offer you an 8-bit colour depth as you are looking for, and the BenQ is one of the few models to feature an HDMI interface. The panel is certainly responsive enough for movie viewing and for most gaming as well, and being P-MVA, the viewing angles are wide enough to enjoy movies properly. The only thing missing from your list is the >72% NTSC colour gamut, but i would suggest that unless you were doing any colour critical work, you would probably not notice any real difference in practice to be honest.

Hope that helps a bit, let me know if you have any questions

Status

Last Online
    07-04-2007 @ 23:35
    CPU: intel dc 6600 4mb
    M/B: asus p5w-dh deluxe
    RAM: Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400 2GB DDR2-800
    GPU: nvidia 7900 gto 512mb
    Thanks
    Level completed: 52%,
    Points required for next Level: 194
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 194

thanks very much for that info. i came across the BenQ 24" after i posted on here and it fits about everything im looking for except price so i may just have to spend out a little extra to get it. the only problem im aware of now with it is the 1:1 ratio not working right on hdmi or something so i think there may be a 2nd firmware update for the monitor. i'll wait around and see and also to see if any pricecuts/rebates appear for that model. at around $750 its pretty expensive but its worth it if its problem free.

again thanks for the good reply!

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links